			New Age Digest #8
			Moderator: Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K.ARPA
				   (uucp: seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim)
			Tue Feb 12 23:57:22 EST 1985
			-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

This time:
	Relation of Arabic and Chinese Numerals
	Archetypal Stories and Tarot
	Electronic version of 777

From: ihnp4!ihuxf!pjs1@seismo.ARPA (Peter Silverman)
Date: Sat Feb  2 15:46:55 1985
Subject: Chinese and Western, numbers, puns, etc

Ellen, in an excerpt from Barbara Walker's Tarot book, talked about the
history of the word for Six. The arabic numbers and their relation to the
chinese symbols is very interesting and is additional evidence for Ms.
Walker's idea.

The chinese ideogram     arabic numeral		comment
(very rough approximation)

	-		    1			90 deg. rotation

	-		    2			two strokes drawn
	-				        quickly becomes arabic #

	-
	-		    3		        as for the #2
	-

    |_|_|
      |	 (ancient form)      4			loss of one arm converts
          a hand			        to arab number

    -----

    ------ (very rough
    |  |    sorry)	     5                  loss of some strokes,makes
    ------				        our number

       ---		     6			the chinese, a little
       / \			                man (4 limbs, body, head)
						the arabic is a
						representation of a penis
						(another version is the
						astrological symbol for
						Mars.) That is both
						chinese and arab numbers
						are representing maleness.

The remaining numerals are to difficult to represent on this terminal,
however in each case there is a close conection between the chinese number
and the indo-arabic. It would seem that the origin of our numerals comes
from a common set of beliefs shared between China and the West.

Another example of this the Japanese word KI (chinese CHI), meaning breath,
energy, spirit.  The ideogram is very roughly

                        ^
                       ___
                        * \
                           \/

possibly a Rice grain fermenting in a closed container, and giving off gas,
that is making Saki, or fermented spirits. Thus the pun between spirit, as
breath, psychic energy and alcohol exists in Chinese (and thus Japanese) and
Western languages. Once again I think indicating a shared tradition (in this
case probably through the route from Taoist alchemy to Arab amd western
alchemy).

My inforation on the Chinese Ideograms is from the "Kanji ABC" (Andrew
Dykstra, William Kaufman, inc.)

Peter Silverman
ihnp4!ihuxf!pjs1
AT&T Bell Labs at Indian Hill

STRANGE BUT FALSE:
Many occult systems use tables of correspondences such as those for the
qualities of the four elements. Unfortunately many of these qualities are
meaningless to the modern American. New tables must be made to accomodate
people who work in windowless offices and may thus not even know what the
season is. I have kindly provided the begining of such a table (discovered
in a flash of deep insight while paying a toll on the Illinois State Toll
Road)

element	    |	EARTH		AIR	 	FIRE		WATER
snack food  |	DING DONGS	GUM		POPCORN		FRITOS

tv network  |	ABC		NBC		CBS		PBS

appliance   |	CAN OPENER	BLENDER		MICROWAVE	CUISINART

fast food   |
chain	    |	McD's		WENDYS		BURGER KING	KFK

The occult possibilies are endless, however my trance mercifully ended when
the toll gate beeped and the gate rose passing me through to the other side.

From: Tim Maroney (tim@cmu-cs-k, seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim)
Date: Thu Feb  7 15:30:16 EST 1985
Subject: Archetypal Stories in Tarot

Copyright 1985 by the author
(New Age Digest distribution note: limited hardcopy reproduction and
electronic redistribution permitted to members of the digest.  If you have an
electronic copy of this for personal use, you may always make a personal
hardcopy for ease of reading.)

The Tarot Trumps And Their Suits

(A draft of the first chapter of the unfinished book
Archetypal Stories in Tarot)

by Tim Maroney

The Tarot Trumps are twenty-two cards of peculiar design.  Their origin
is in a time when decks of unusual cards were common, and different
card schemes proliferated.  Of all the decks from that period, only
decks including the Trumps are widely known or used today, with the
exception of the modern deck of playing cards.  Even that contains a
form of the Trump called The Fool, and has descended from a larger deck
including the twenty-two Trumps.

The exact circumstances of the Trumps' creation are unknown.  There is
nothing secret or sinister about this; it would be equally difficult to
decide on a definitive first edition of other decks that have survived
in museums or private collections from five hundred years ago.  This
gap of knowledge, however, has provided fodder for many unverifiable
speculations on the Trumps' origin and their meaning.

The cards are of unknown and possibly unknowable origin, due to the
great gulf of time.  The evidence has been tapped already; no
miraculous new discoveries are likely, considering the fragility of old
cards.  Various "first decks" have been proclaimed and disproven, and
the Trumps are far more dissimilar than similar to older Eastern
decks.  The hypothesis of Kabalistic origin is supported by the
coincidence of number between the Trumps and the Hebrew letters, but in
fact no inspiring coincidence exists between the images of the Trumps
and the primary images of the Hebrew Kabala.  Another coincidence of
number involves the Christian twenty-two chapter book of Revelation,
but again there is no real reason to prefer this idea.  The first Tarot
deck was drawn by an unknown hand for an unknown purpose.

To make a start at solving the mystery of the Trumps' origin, consider
a principle known to students of psychology and literature.  Some
symbols and stories tend to recur in different forms in tale after
tale, whether the tales are scriptures, sagas, dreams, novels, or other
forms of expression.  For example, the symbols appearing in some modern
novels can be traced to ancestors in prehistoric forms of ritual and
drama.  Human consciousness seems to prefer some forms of expression
over others, in a way largely independent of culture.  These preferred
forms are often referred to in psychology and criticism as
"archetypes".  For instance, the idea of "mother" is obviously
archetypal.  The wrathful and stern father, the elusive trickster, the
salvation of the Waste Land, the young man or god who dies and is then
reborn: all these recur in some aspect in many legends.

One reason for the Trumps' staying power may be a process of
unconscious symbolic selection.  A large number of different decks were
produced, involving various kinds of orderings; the Tarot deck was one
of these.  Many decks inspired at least one variant edition, and some
decks inspired artists to reproduce them more often.  The preferred
decks' inspirational force may have been due to their instrinsic power
to evoke archetypes.  The first artist may have been an unknown dotard,
and bereft of all spiritual value, but the deck itself includes symbols
appropriate to archetypal stories, and so has lasted to the present.

This essay shows one way the Tarot Trumps can be correlated with three
particular archetypal stories.  These stories are of birth, of
salavation, and of death and rebirth.  The Trumps are divided into
three suits, each suit corresponding to one of these archetypal
stories.  The suits have a common structure.  Graphic illustrations of
the Trump suits are useful; here is an illustration of their abstract
nature.

	Force
	Initiate	Initiator	Initiatrix
	Event One	Event Two	Event Three	Event Four

There are three different realizations of this abstract diagram.  In
each, one Trump plays each of the eight roles in the abstract diagram.
There are three Trumps which represent the Force of an archetypal
story:  the Sun for birth, the World for salvation, and the Moon for
death and rebirth.  There are three Initiators: the Mage, the King, and
the Priest; and three Initiatrixes, Strength, the Queen, and the
Priestess; but only one Initiate, the Fool, for all three stories.
There are three stories, each with four successive events, featuring
the interplay of the Fool, the Initiator, and the Initiatrix.

The first story is of birth.  A man and a woman become lovers.  They
sexually consummate their love.  The woman and the child undergo the
pangs of birth.  The child emerges into the world.

The second story is of salvation.  The King has become impotent,
incapable of satisfying his Queen.  The land has thus become desolate,
arid waste.  The King must be slain by one more virile.  The young hero
takes the slain King's throne by right of assassination.  The new King
takes his bride, the Queen.  Mystically, the Waters are freed upon the
land.

The third story is of death and rebirth.  The hero is unjustly
convicted of some crime.  He is executed by some means appropriate to
the story's culture.  A wandering hermit or doctor, an incomprehensible
but immensely wise figure, comes upon the scene.  The hero is returned
to new and brilliant life.

These three stories can be laid out in the "Event" positions of the
abstract diagram above.  Here, then, is the complete relation of Tarot
cards to the stories, in diagrammatic form.  (There is no real standard
for Tarot card names.  The oldest decks have neither name nor number.
Still, we have to call them something to talk about them, and the names
given are convenient and recognizable.)

	Birth (Spread One)
	------------------
	Sun
	===
	Fool		Mage		Strength
	Lovers		Temperance	Tower		Chariot

	Salvation (Spread Two)
	----------------------
	World
	=====
	Fool	King	Queen
	=====================
	Death	Wheel	Devil	Star
	============================

	Death and Rebirth (Spread Three)
	--------------------------------
	Moon
	====
	Fool		Priest		Priestess
	Justice		Hanged Man	Hermit		Judgment

There is informal consensus on the meanings of the cards, although each
commentator and artist differs from consensus on various points.  The
above division of the Trumps into three spreads is consistent with most
of the consensus on the meanings of the cards.  The intent is to show
subtle structure in the Tarot deck and its usual interpretations, not
to replace them.  Clearly there is no single deck called "the Tarot
deck" which will guide our thinking, nor any single book which is the
definitive system of interpretation.  However, consensus on many points
is common even with unusual and surrealistic modern decks, such as the
Book of Thoth and the Secret Dakini Oracle Deck.  This is not to say
there are not significant divergences and incompatibilities as well,
but agreements and correspondences will be the main interest.

Only the twenty-two Trumps will be considered at all.  In fact, most
Tarot decks contain fifty-six other cards.  These are divided into four
suits, usually Wands, Cups, Swords, and Coins, with Pentagrams as a
common modern affectation for the latter.  There are four Court Cards
in each suit, usually King, Queen, Knight, and Page, sometimes with a
female figure for the latter instead.  The four elements, the numbers
from one to ten, the astrological decanates, the YHVH formula, the
relation of this deck to the modern deck of playing cards, and other
issues relating to the small cards are not considered herein.

This book has three main sections, each devoted to one of the
archetypal stories.  Each section begins with a discussion of the
archetypal story, from a literary, psychological, and eclectically
religious perspective.  Then each Trump that is correlated to the story
will be discussed in turn.  For each Trump an abstracted version will
be found from various cards and texts.  The meaning of that version
will then be shown to be similar to the meaning of the corresponding
event or figure in the section's archetypal story.  Finally,
suggestions for a new version of the Trump may appear.  New versions
will be introduced as more direct symbols of the archetypal meanings.
They will incorporate to the greatest extent possible the traditional
main emblems found on the Trump's cards, to preserve continuity with
the Tarot as it has existed and still exists.

Date: Mon Feb 11 16:43:14 EST 1985
From: Tim Maroney (you ought to know the address by now)
Subject: Electronic version of 777

As Peter mentioned in his humorous signoff above, one of the usual things in
occultism is tables of correspondences between various things.  Probably the
most ambitious and wide-ranging was Crowley's 777, which attempts to
incorporate major symbols from a large number of different religions and
mythologies into a single table with thirty-five lines.  This includes
Hebrew god-names, gods of the Greeks, Romans, Hindus, Nordics, and
Christians, the elements, the magical weapons, geometric figures,
astrological signs, planets, colors, smells, animals, plants, colors,
senses, tarot cards, the I Ching, the Taoist system, etc.  Crowley claimed
that memorizing some twenty or so major columns of 777 was a worthwhile
mystical practice in its own right, providing an increase in order among
one's perceptions.  Since ritual is essentially symbolic, it is also useful
to lay out one's rituals guided by the appropriate columns of 777.

However, the tables can be a pain.  It would be nice to have a tool that
laid out various columns in whatever arrangement is desired, acted as a
simple trainer by omitting entries and asking the user to fill them in, and
allowed the user to easily modify the existing tables and add new tables for
his or her own use.

Spurred by this thought or some less coherent variant of it, I attacked my
diskettes using the most horrible weapon I could imagine, the Small-C
compiler.  Several days of bloody battle later, I had part of my prize, at
least.  The program does not incorporate an editor for tables (you have to
use a separate text editor), and it does not have a training mode.  I hope
to add these later.  It has two different displays, an overview of the
tables' titles and a window onto a variable number of columns.  On an
80-column screen, about six tables can be simultaneously displayed, and many
others can be held in memory ot be displayed on request.  The user interface
is via UCSD-Pascal-style menus.

What major features ought such a program to have?  Clearly, it ought to have
pictures, one respect in which my version fails, but they can be done
without (until I write a Macintosh version, that is...)  Without pictures,
the inclusion of Arabic, Hebrew, etc., columns is impossible.

Oh, and if anyone wants a copy of the current version, I can mail you one or
let you FTP it if you're on ARPA.  The code should work with any C compiler,
but I have not made operating system modifications. 	(It is currently a
CP/M program).  Non-portable code for screen control and such is separately
marked and clearly defined.
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

End of New Age Digest #8

-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University, Networking