[net.religion] Violation of separation church and state????

atkins@opus.UUCP (Brian Atkins) (05/13/85)

I have a question, which I would like to hear argued by any parties
from all these news groups.  I have a very lay understanding of separation
of church and state and would like to see good arguments pro and con on
this particular example, which I feel is in clear violation (and if it isn't,
under current interpretation, I would like to see an new interpretation).

Here is the example.  Here in Colorado, it is against the law to sell liquor
(and automobiles) retail on Sunday.  Bars and restaurants can sell prepaired
drinks and whatnot, but you can't buy bottles of the stuff in liquor stores.

I presume that this law is motivated by the Christian sabbath, as I can
see no other reason behind it (if this isn't the reason behind it, please
let me know what is).

Assuming this, Is this not a clear violation of the separation of church
and state?  Is S of C & S a basis for constitutionality, is it just custom,
or does it only apply to laws which seek to restrict religious practices?

If replies are sent to the net all can follow the argument (assuming
someone other than myself is interested...).  If this bothers someone,
sing out and I'll formally request replies to myself via mail rather than
net.

Ever seeking enlightenment...

Brian Atkins   ...{attunix, hao, allegra, ucbvax}!nbires!atkins
NBI Inc., P.O. Box 9001, Boulder CO 80301	(303) 444-5710

mcb8391@acf4.UUCP (mike b) (05/15/85)

blue laws have been decided on by the Supreme Court.  I do not have
the name of the case with me right now, however and will get back to you
on that.  The jist of the decision was, in fact, that blue laws are
constitutional.  The original law contained religious references (such as
references to 'The Lord's Day') and is clearly supportive of religious
purposes.  However, the court decided to interpret the law in such a manner:
there are legitimate purposes for declaring 'a day of rest' as regards
doing business on any day of the week, and as long as the state does have
these secular purposes in mind, and not religious ones, this kind of
legislation is legitimate.  This was not one of their more finely reasoned
cases, given the obvious religious nature of the law, but what can you do.
			Mike Bassman

neal@denelvx.UUCP (Neal Weidenhofer) (05/15/85)

> Here is the example.  Here in Colorado, it is against the law to sell liquor
> (and automobiles) retail on Sunday.  Bars and restaurants can sell prepaired
> drinks and whatnot, but you can't buy bottles of the stuff in liquor stores.
>
> I presume that this law is motivated by the Christian sabbath, as I can
> see no other reason behind it (if this isn't the reason behind it, please
> let me know what is).
>
> Assuming this, Is this not a clear violation of the separation of church
> and state?  Is S of C & S a basis for constitutionality, is it just custom,
> or does it only apply to laws which seek to restrict religious practices?
>
> Brian Atkins   ...{attunix, hao, allegra, ucbvax}!nbires!atkins

	Yes, Separation of Church and State is mandated by the first
Amendment to the Constitution.

	Laws of this sort have been challenged in the past (it seems to me
that the last time was sometime in the 1930's--I don't remember which state).
They were held to be constitutional under the states' powers to regulate
commerce.  They also argued (successfully) that the choice of Sunday was not
religiously motivated but the choice the would cause the least disruption
considering the number of people who don't work on that day anyway.

	Considering the shifts in the courts' positions over the last 50
years on many topics and especially on the place of the churches in secular
society, it would be interesting to see it challenged again.

			Regards,
				Neal Weidenhofer
"The law is for protection	Denelcor, Inc.
	of the people"		<hao|csu-cs|brl-bmd>!denelcor!neal

benson@dcdwest.UUCP (Peter Benson) (05/16/85)

The restriction against selling liquor on Sunday is a
religious restriction.  I have always thought that it would be
appropriate to restrict only those people whose religious day
it was.  Thus, Christians might be restricted from buying
things on Sunday, but not atheists.  Of course, everyone would
have to carry religious id cards ...

--
                                _
Peter Benson                    | ITT Defense Communications Division

alan@cae780.UUCP (Alan M. Steinberg) (05/16/85)

In article <1192@opus.UUCP> atkins@opus.UUCP (Brian Atkins) writes:
>Here is the example.  Here in Colorado, it is against the law to sell liquor
>(and automobiles) retail on Sunday.  Bars and restaurants can sell prepaired
>drinks and whatnot, but you can't buy bottles of the stuff in liquor stores.
>
>I presume that this law is motivated by the Christian sabbath, as I can
>see no other reason behind it (if this isn't the reason behind it, please
>let me know what is).

I cannot see any reason about it either, in this century.  When blue laws
were started, everyone was of the same faith -- religiously Christian.  Since
these laws bettered everyone spiritually, they may  have been a good thing,
AT THE TIME!!!   But today, there are Jews, Moslems, Seventh-Day Adventists,
and Consumers, who regard Sunday as a day to do things like buying cars (and
liquor?! :-) ).  If a store-keeper wishes to keep his/her store closed
during his Sabbath, that is his prerogative.  But to have a law about it
not just on the books, but enforced, is very archaic and one-sided.  In
other words, it is a violation of the separation of church and state.  Any
act which is based on faith, and prevents those of other faiths (or without
any faiths) from their normal actions, is a violation of church and state.
It follows the addage: Your right to swing your fist ends at my nose.

This principle holds true when there is no vast majority of people following
one faith to the same degree, and when the country is declared as being
secular.  These problems take on a different twist in places like Israel,
where the country was set up specifically as a Jewish state.  The Great
Debate there centers around this principle.  How Jewish?  The majority of
the people, though Jewish, are not religous.  Should they then be prevented
from going to the beach on the Jewish Sabbath?  Or should the very religious
have to see people violate the laws which, to them, define Judaism?

These are problems inherent in a country which defines itself as being of
a certain religion.  The U.S., however, was founded on the principle of
religious freedom for all, without bias towards one or another.  So why
still the blue laws? How can there be laws specifically geared towards a
certain segment of the population, but which affect all?

A whole bag of worms is probably being opened up now on the net, so get at
it.  Give your OPINION.  Just remember that it is just that, and not the
truth according to your specific beliefs.
--
           __
          /  0_____			Alan Steinberg
          |       .\		{ucbvax}!decwrl!amdcad!cae780!alan
          |   )----'
         / | \ \    "The wind doth taste so bittersweet,
          \_____/    Like those of Caspar Weinberger."
           |____)           -- P. Opus, distinguished flightless water fowl

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (05/16/85)

>Here is the example.  Here in Colorado, it is against the law to sell liquor
>(and automobiles) retail on Sunday.  Bars and restaurants can sell prepaired
>drinks and whatnot, but you can't buy bottles of the stuff in liquor stores.
>
>I presume that this law is motivated by the Christian sabbath, as I can
>see no other reason behind it (if this isn't the reason behind it, please
>let me know what is).
>
>Assuming this, Is this not a clear violation of the separation of church
>and state?  Is S of C & S a basis for constitutionality, is it just custom,
>or does it only apply to laws which seek to restrict religious practices?

The Constitution states something of the nature that the Government will
make no laws respecting an established religion.  (Well, something like
that, its purpose was to allow religous freedom by avoiding a state
religion.)  However, it also passes unspecified rights to the state.
I would be willing to bet that that law was passed when there was a very
strong states rights Supreme Court, and if one of those laws was ever
tested, they ruled that it was up to the states to make those decisions.

As a person, I do not like it at all, and would like to see those kinds
of blue laws overturned.  I do not like being told that I can not do
something because it is a religous day (I am strongly anti-established
religions).  By the same token, I do not like being told that I must
take Christmas Day off, it is not a holiday for me, I can do productive
work then.

The only way to challenge this law is to get some vendor to open on
Sunday, and when the state tries to close him, take it to court,
claiming that the law respects and established church.  Get some
legal help from the ACLU.

PS. I also agree with churches being automatically tax exempt.  If they
are non-profit, let them prove it, if they are running a profit, let it
be taxed like any other corporation.
--
James C Armstrong, Jnr.   ihnp4!abnji!nyssa

The Boss gave me one of these, ten seconds, he said.  Let's see
if it works...

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (05/17/85)

In article <188@dcdwest.UUCP> benson@dcdwest.UUCP (Peter benson) writes:
||The restriction against selling liquor on Sunday is a
||religious restriction.

I wish it were so simple. As an observant Jew, I can't shop on
Saturdays before sundown, and with most stores closed Sunday I
have to shop during the week for many things.

Sunday-closing legislation can be based either on religion
("everyone should rest on Sunday") or on the "regulation for
the good of society" premise ("employees need a day off, and
it's most convenient to let everyone take the same day").

 In Canada, the federal Parliament has the right to legislate
in criminal matters, while the provincial legislatures can
legislate general licensing and trade matters. The federal
Lord's Day Act makes it a criminal offense to carry on certain
types of business on Sunday. This legislation was, quite
properly, struck down a few weeks ago by the Supreme Court
of Canada. The Court held that the legislation is in violation
of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

However, several provinces (including Ontario, where I live)
have provincial legislation, such as the Retail Business
Holidays Act. This legislation purports to say nothing about
religion. However, it regulates the days on which businesses
may be open. The argument is that if one supermarket or
department store can be open 7 days a week, every other store
will have to as well, in order to avoid losing market share.
This will lead to a large number of employees being forced to
work 7 days a week, which is considered undesirable. Therefore,
all stores must close on one day. Since there are (many) more
Christians than anything else in the province, that day is
Sunday. This also protects observant Christians from being forced
to work on Sunday by an employer who isn't willing or able to
hire part-time help for a single day. Note: I don't agree with
this logic; I'm just explaining it.

The Retail Business Holidays Act has been challenged in the courts
under the Charter of Rights. So far it has reached the Ontario Court of
Appeal; the Supreme Court of Canada will no doubt hear the cases
within a year or so. The argument presented by the defendants is
that the legislation contravenes the protection in the Charter
of every person's freedom of religion.

The Court's response to the two cases before it was interesting.
Nortown Foods, a store operated by Jews who are Sabbath-observant
and which is closed on Saturday, won its case. The Court held
that freedom of religion includes not only the right to practise
one's religion, but the right not to be financially penalised
as a result of doing so. Since the store cannot be open on Saturday,
forcing it to close on Sunday violates the Charter.

Paul Magder Furs, on the other hand, is open 7 days a week.
The Court of Appeal ruled that the provincial legislation's
purpose is regulatory rather than religious, and therefore
the conviction was upheld. (The store is still open every Sunday,
and Magder is dutifully charged every week by Metro Toronto police.)

Personally, I hope that the Supreme Court agrees with Paul Magder
that the basis of the Retail Business Holidays Act really is
religious. But the arguments for the other side can't be
discarded without some careful thought.

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

gene@batman.UUCP (Gene Mutschler) (05/18/85)

> 	Yes, Separation of Church and State is mandated by the first
> Amendment to the Constitution.

Thats as may be, but  ...
The fact of the matter, at least here in Texas, is that the Blue Laws
are primarily for the protection of specific business interests.  The
Texas Legistlature is on the verge of repealing the law here in Texas,
**Except** for car dealerships.  The arguments for retaining it centered
only peripherally on religion--the main complaints were from small business
persons who claimed their overhead would go up (You figure it out :-)

ix191@sdcc6.UUCP (ix191) (05/20/85)

In article <1192@opus.UUCP> atkins@opus.UUCP (Brian Atkins) writes:

I'd like to add an interesting tid bit to Brian's discussion
of Curch and State.  In an Anthropology class I once took we
studied religion in the U.S., and we noticed that in EVERY
one of the inaugural (sp?) speaches made by past
Presidents, G-d was mentioned.  In no way was it ever
offensive, but It was another direct play with the influence
of church and state.

I too would like a discussion of this over the net.

-Debi Cohen

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (05/20/85)

> This principle holds true when there is no vast majority of people following
> one faith to the same degree, and when the country is declared as being
> secular.
>
> These are problems inherent in a country which defines itself as being of
> a certain religion.  The U.S., however, was founded on the principle of
> religious freedom for all, without bias towards one or another.  So why
> still the blue laws? How can there be laws specifically geared towards a
> certain segment of the population, but which affect all?

	If this country was set up as non-religious and has laws to prevent
 mixing of church and state, then even if the entire nation is of one religion
 certain laws should still not be passed. Blue laws should have never been
 legal. I guess there was a time that people really didn't care too much about
 the separation of church and state.

			Eliyahu Teitz.

rose@sdcsvax.UUCP (Daniel Rose) (05/22/85)

I am originally from Massachusetts, where Blue Laws were in effect
until two years ago.  There are still some left, for instance a
store cannot sell liquor on Sunday.  It used to be that most stores
couldn't be open at all.

Anyway, there was a famous supreme court case (I don't remember the
name) in which a kosher market wanted to stay open Sunday, but close
Saturday, since that's the Jewish sabbath.  The court ruled that
they could indeed do this without violating the intent of the blue
laws.  It still seems like a violation of church and state separation
to say, "you have to close on someone's sabbath, even if it's not
mine."  What if you're an atheist, or your religion has no sabbath,
or whatever?

Dan Rose
sdcsvax!rose

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Arthur Pewtey) (05/23/85)

> 	I guess there was a time that people really didn't care too much about
>  the separation of church and state.  [Eliyahu Teitz]

I think you're referring to the last four years or so, no? ... :-?
--
"There!  I've run rings 'round you logically!"
"Oh, intercourse the penguin!"			Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) (05/24/85)

>I am originally from Massachusetts, where Blue Laws were in effect
>until two years ago.  There are still some left, for instance a
>store cannot sell liquor on Sunday.  It used to be that most stores
>couldn't be open at all.

>Anyway, there was a famous supreme court case (I don't remember the
>name) in which a kosher market wanted to stay open Sunday, but close
>Saturday, since that's the Jewish sabbath.  The court ruled that
>they could indeed do this without violating the intent of the blue
>laws.  It still seems like a violation of church and state separation
>to say, "you have to close on someone's sabbath, even if it's not
>mine."  What if you're an atheist, or your religion has no sabbath,
>or whatever?

>Dan Rose
>sdcsvax!rose

As has been explained by someone else, blue laws have a benefit to
society.  That is that they hinder employers from working their
employees seven days a week, forcing all competitive businesses to
stay open 7 days to remain competitive, etc.

The question then becomes, "Why Sunday, or the Sabbath?  Why not
just say they have to close one day out of the week?"  There are
problems with this also.  If, for religious reasons, one must worship
on a particular day, then that one is limited to working for employers
that close on that day.  This could turn into a tool for discrimination,
since an employer that didn't want to hire Jews could insist on
Saturday being a work day.  In the case of the kosher market there
is no problem, since it caters mostly to persons who keep the same
day, but the problem becomes more complicated for other businesses.
The vast majority of religious people in this country worship on either
Saturday or Sunday.  Either that, or they have no sabbath or are
not bound to a particular day and can just as well worship on the
weekend.  (I used to live next to and Islamic mosque that had worship
on Sunday.  I guess this is no problem for them.)  Specifying one or
two days helps accommodate the importance of religious worship for the
people, helps keep the week uniform, and also gives non-religious folk
a day off (you've got to mow your lawn sometime don't you? :-)).

Hostility toward religion is also a violation of the separation of
church and state.  Not allowing for a consistent sabbath period
at least borders on this.  The wall has *two* sides.
--

Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd

jhull@spp2.UUCP (Jeff Hull) (05/25/85)

In article <1632@aecom.UUCP> teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) writes:
>> The U.S., however, was founded on the principle of
>> religious freedom for all, without bias towards one or another.  ...
>
> Blue laws should have never been
> legal. I guess there was a time that people really didn't care too much about
> the separation of church and state.

Most of this debate has centered around a common fallacy, i.e., that
there is a complete separation of church & state in the US.  In fact,
there is not even any clause in the Constitution that prohibits a
state from passing laws based on any particular religion.

The First Amendment prohibits the Federal Government, i.e., Congress,
from passing such laws, but even that is quite different than most
people think.  I don't have a copy of it here in front of me just now,
so I will not attempt an analysis of it.  Briefly, there are 2 main
clauses to it, the Establishment clause, which prohibits Congress from
establishing a state religion, & the Freedom clause, which prohibits
the Congress from passing laws which restrict the exercise of any
religion.

A basic principle of Constitutional law is that all powers which are
not explicitly granted to the Federal government are reserved to the
states.  The Constitution is silent regarding powers of the states to
establish or regulate religion or religious activity.  There is ample
precedent allowing states to regulate commercial activity in anyway
they see fit that is not specifically prohibited by the Constitution
or allowable Federal law (e.g., the Interstate Commerce Act).  Some of
the ways states (& cities) see fit to regulate commerce range between
silly & insane...

--
 Blessed Be,

 Jeff Hull            {decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,scdrdcf,ucbvax}
 13817 Yukon Ave.         trwrb!trwspp!spp2!jhull
 Hawthorne, CA 90250		34o3'15" N  by  118o14'28" W

neal@denelvx.UUCP (Neal Weidenhofer) (05/26/85)

> A basic principle of Constitutional law is that all powers which are
> not explicitly granted to the Federal government are reserved to the
> states.  The Constitution is silent regarding powers of the states to
> establish or regulate religion or religious activity.
>
>  Jeff Hull            {decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,scdrdcf,ucbvax}

	Not quite, the fourteenth amendment (I don't recall the wording)
effectively extends the prohibitions upon the federal government--in
particular the bill of rights--to the states.

	What you say was true before the civil war.  Can anyone fill in more
of the history of this interpretation of the fourteenth amendment?  From
reading it, I get the impresssion that its original concern was forcing the
states to grant full rights of citizenship to blacks.

jak@talcott.UUCP (Joe Konstan) (05/27/85)

> The First Amendment prohibits the Federal Government, i.e., Congress,
> from passing such laws, but even that is quite different than most
> people think.  I don't have a copy of it here in front of me just now,
> so I will not attempt an analysis of it.  Briefly, there are 2 main
> clauses to it, the Establishment clause, which prohibits Congress from
> establishing a state religion, & the Freedom clause, which prohibits
> the Congress from passing laws which restrict the exercise of any
> religion.
>
> A basic principle of Constitutional law is that all powers which are
> not explicitly granted to the Federal government are reserved to the
> states.  The Constitution is silent regarding powers of the states to
> establish or regulate religion or religious activity.  There is ample
> precedent allowing states to regulate commercial activity in anyway
> they see fit that is not specifically prohibited by the Constitution
> or allowable Federal law (e.g., the Interstate Commerce Act).  Some of
> the ways states (& cities) see fit to regulate commerce range between
> silly & insane...
>
> --

Not completely true.  All powers not delegated to the federal government
are reserved to THE PEOPLE or the states.  The fourteenth amendment has
been interpreted by the Supreme Court as a method of constraining state
action so that it is consistent with the bill of rights.  No state can
deny you freedom of speech, or establish a religion, because of the
effect of the 14th amendment.

Commerce comes under a separate case (not individual rights) but states
are prevented from impairing the obligation of contracts, etc. and do
not have complete authority to do anything (due to judicial review,
rational relations to a legitimate goal, etc.).  They do, however,
exercise significant authority, outside of rights-oriented legislation,
from the domain of "police powers."

Mithrandir
jak@talcott

tos@psc70.UUCP (Dr.Schlesinger) (05/28/85)

     Many court cases have been brought and heard on this subject,
some by Jews who wanted to have their Sabbath (Friday night to
Saturday night) recognized in some communities insetad, etc etc.  As
far as I know, the courts have generally held that this, like some other
customs -- opening Congress and state legislatures, city councils,
etc. with a prayer, etc etc -- is in a category of usages which do
not amount to re-establishing a specific religion (which is really all
that was prohibited by the Bill of Rights), and that especially in the
case of recognizing Sunday, the whole community needs some one day
"off" anyway... so it might as well be the one started with the
originally religious Sunday. Where the usage has been obviously with a
directly and purely religious implication (such as New England's "blue
laws") without redeeming other values, the courts have generally held
that the practice was unconstitutional and thrown it out.

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (05/29/85)

> .... is in a category of usages which do
> not amount to re-establishing a specific religion (which is really all
> that was prohibited by the Bill of Rights)

This is a common misconception.  The following quotation is from the majority
Supreme Court opinion in McGowan v. Maryland, 366 US 420 (1961) -- a decision
which, incidentally, upheld a Sunday closing law.

	But, the First Amendment, in its final form, did not simply bar a
	congressional enactment *establishing a church* [italics in the
	original]; it forbade all laws *respecting an establishment of
	religion*.  Thus, this Court has given the Amendment a "broad
	interpretation" ... "in the light of its history and the evils it was
	designed forever to suppress...." ...  It has found that the First and
	Fourteenth Amendments afford protection against religious
	establishment far more extensive than merely to forbid a national or
	state church.

Their interpretation was based largely on the legislative history of the
First Amendment; for example, the original wording, as proposed by James
Madison, read:

	The civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious
	belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor
	shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on
	any pretext, infringed.

The opinion notes that the word "national" was apparently included to spare
the official religions in a number of states....

		--Steve Bellovin

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (05/29/85)

> In article <1192@opus.UUCP> atkins@opus.UUCP (Brian Atkins) writes:
>
> I'd like to add an interesting tid bit to Brian's discussion
> of Curch and State.  In an Anthropology class I once took we
> studied religion in the U.S., and we noticed that in EVERY
> one of the inaugural (sp?) speaches made by past
> Presidents, G-d was mentioned.  In no way was it ever
> offensive, but It was another direct play with the influence
> of church and state.
>
> I too would like a discussion of this over the net.

	Let's not get involved in the 'in G-D we trust' on our money,
 as we did a few months ago.

				Eliyahu Teitz.

rcj@burl.UUCP (R. Curtis Jackson) (06/04/85)

> I am originally from Massachusetts, where Blue Laws were in effect
> until two years ago.  There are still some left, for instance a
> store cannot sell liquor on Sunday.  It used to be that most stores
> couldn't be open at all.

I just have to add these two gems:

I graduated from college in 1982, and as of when I left Oxford, MS
(University of Mississippi is next door to the town), you could not
purchase any alcohol in any form on Sunday, nor could you purchase
playing cards, dice, or anything else that might lead to gambling.
I'll never forget my culture shock when we wanted to play Canasta
one night and were denied the purchase of two decks of cards at the
local convenience store.

Also, one may purchase hard liquor from liquor stores (NOT state-run,
surprisingly), and you can purchase liquor-by-the-drink, wine, and
beer in bars, but you CANNOT purchase COLD beer in stores; it must
be at room temperature!!  This was done by the upstanding citizenry
of the town to prevent their young folk from riding around in their
cars and drinking beer; so the young folk now have to drive about
thirty minutes away to cross the county line to get cold beer and,
because enforcement is so stiff in their home county, they must
swill it all down while riding out to the local reservoir before
they come swerving their way back home.  Wonderful.

P.S.:  When I said no alcohol 'on Sunday', I should have clarified
it to mean 'between midnight Saturday and 8:00am Monday'.
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

tos@psc70.UUCP (Dr.Schlesinger) (06/08/85)

    There are obvious dimensions of community customs and of social
values outside of religion (employees need a common day of rest, etc)
in connection with store closings. Also, no one is placed at serious
disadvantage, or at least not to a degree disproportionate to the
minority status of the faith) in this kind of practice. In contrast,
where teachers lead children in common prayer, we have a state
official (the teacher) and thus a person who from the child's view is
very powerful encouraging a majority exercise with specific religious
(sometimes specific sect) implications, and the child at great
disadvantage even if (because it's supposedly "voluntary") it may have
been told that it can ask to be excused.
    This is what I mean by "disadvantage" -- nothing of this sort is
perpetrated on anyone by common closing days, even if they are those
of a majority group as in the case of Sunday. Where such disadvantages
have been imposed by people even through the practice of the Sunday
(for example, Christian employer refusing to give Jewish employees the
Sabbath as day off), generally the courts have protected the
individual's right to practice his or her religion wherever possible.