[net.religion] Can you relate to this, man?

hua@cmu-cs-edu1.ARPA (Ernest Hua) (06/09/85)

> { From: damon@nisysg.DEC }
>
> > The statement that the Bible is the word of God is a hypothesis, and,
> > it seems to me, a pretty poor one. While God as you no doubt define
> > him can- not make mistakes, you certainly can. You can be mistaken
> > in everything you believe about him (scientists are already well
> > aware of their capability of being mistaken, so it is pointless to
> > throw this one back). To claim that you know an absolute truth when
> > you see one is, like most so-called faith, the height of arrogance.
> > If you were to couch everything you say within "I suspect ... because
> > ...", you might get a sense of what science and philosophy are about.
> > In the meantime, for the sake of everyone else, please keep out of
> > net.philosophy any beliefs which you are not prepared to subject to
> > analysis.
>
> These feelings I can relate to very much, but thats only a reaction,
> so for faith and the existence of a supreme being to the human
> intellect is a nerve racking and radical reality.

Really?  I must have missed it on the news last night.  "Nerve racking"?
"Radical reality"?  Boy!  Those words sure make me want to know!  I read
the National Enquirer for all of my info!  I have an inquiring mind!
(Sorry.  Someone spilled two cans of sarcasm on my keyboard.)

> Faith --- I can
> say that there would be no philosophy without it. For philosophy in
> it's self holds no answers to life and solutions to problems.

You were going good for a while, and then you lost it ...

> How
> ever in Jesus Christ (his faith, love and hope philosophy which he
> made his way of life )their is meaning and direction given to living.
> AND IT WORKS ! For without it the opposite philosophy of death, hate
> and despair start working there reality.

But try the NEW and IMPROVED SUPERB DELUX!  It comes in ALL SIZES, COLORS,
and SHAPES!  Great for ... (Sorry.  Still cleaning my keyboard.)

Look.  Just saying that "IT WORKS!" does not prove beans.  You make grand
assumptions like necessity = existence.  Your need for meaning to life is
not sufficient to prove its existence.  "Opposite philosophy"?  Death is
a condition.  Hate and despair are emotional states.  Philosophies?  Hardly.

There is nothing wrong with love and life.  (Don't YOU want to live and love?)
On the other hand, justifying them (which I do not see the need for) with
some mystical omnipotent being is off the wall.

Live long and prosper.
Keebler { hua@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa }