[net.religion] A new Jewish newsgroup?

beslove@osu-eddie.UUCP (Adam Beslove) (07/27/85)

Refering to net.religion.jewish's creation, Yitz Twersky writes:

>This type of worldwide forum was started by Rabbi Meir Shapiro with the Daf
>Yomi. This means of torah communication has great potential to grow.
>Please do not let it die.
>			      Yitz Twersky
>	    President         Yeshiva College Computer Science Society
>	    Editor-in-Chief   CompuSci Speaks

I think that here are many of us out here who would enjoy talking about
other Jewish topics besides torah, but a newsgroup for such discussion
doesn't exist.  It seems that when mainstream American Jews mix with
Orthodox Jews in a forum as anonymous as the net, it turns into a free for
all!

I've been discussing this with some other netters and we have a few ideas.
Create a newsgroup, possibly moderated to deal with Jewish culture, not
religion.  For example:  Israel, Jewish Singles, Jewish folklore (ie.
dancing, art, literature, etc...), Jewish lifestyles, Jewish trends (both
with an American emphasis), and generally--discussion of mainstream
contemporary Jewish life.  Sound good?  Call it something like
net.culture.jewish.  Does that serve a broad enough group for you Rich?

Please write me back with your opinion, and especially your aproval!

(UUCP: ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!beslove)
(CSNet: beslove@ohio-state)		        The world is my sandbox,
(ARPA: beslove%ohio-state.csnet@CSNET-RELAY)    humanity my playmates.