[net.religion] More levels of explanation and definitions of free

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/13/85)

Even number of > = me, Odd number = Paul Torek

>>> Babies don't choose such influences.  Thus, if by "ULTIMATE sense" you
>>> mean choosing ALL the influences on oneself throughout one's life
>>> history, nobody has such choice.  But that isn't necessary for one's
>>> choices now to be free -- as long as those early influences lead to
>>> a capacity for "rational evaluative analysis" (r-e-a) by the person.  In
>>> short, you seem to be arguing
>>> 	1. No one chooses all the influences on her development.
>>> 	2. [implicit] Unless one has a choice in all the influences on
>>> 	   one's development, one's later actions are not free choices.
>>> 	3. Therefore, no one has "free will".
>>> I deny premise 2.

>>Good for you!!  Your denying it doesn't change its veracity one bit.  Since
>>free means "independent of external influences, unfettered, etc.", and since
>>you now seem to at least agree that such things directly influence later
>>choices, THEY ARE QUITE SIMPLY *NOT* *FREE*!!!

> The influences of the external environment on choice aren't direct.  They
> operate ONLY through INTERNAL factors -- which make choices directly.

So?  They're not direct?  The choices themselves aren't implemented "directly",
by that definition, either.  That seems to be just doubletalk to get around
the fact that THEY ARE QUITE SIMPLY *NOT* FREE as I said above.  What
determines the configuration of the "INTERNAL factors", if not the same
processes?

>>... Since you cannot simply refute premise 2 by asserting its falseness,
>>premise 3 does follow quite logically.  You put it very well yourself:
>>Unless one has a choice in ALL the influences of one's development (and
>>life), which one obviously cannot, one's later actions are NOT free choices!

> Freedom of choice refers mainly to PRESENT influences on one's actions; if
> THOSE are INTERNAL then it's FREE.  Past conditions make a choice unfree
> only if they trace a completely external (to the person's volition) chain
> of cause-and-effect to the time of the choice.

BUT ALL THOSE PAST EXPERIENCES ARE JUST INSTANCES OF THE SAME TYPE OF PROCESS
THAT OCCURRED IN THE PAST!!!!  Thus those "past conditions", those states
in the brain that result from past experiences, were achieved through the
same process as "present" experiences!  And thus, the experiences of the
baby taken as an example, the baby whose experiences were not of his/her
own choosing, you answer your own argument---ALL the experiences can be traced
to external chains of cause-and-effect!
--
Like aversion (HEY!), shocked for the very first time...
			Rich Rosen   ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

rap@oliven.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (07/19/85)

Even number of > = Rich Rosen
Odd number of > = Paul Torek
     (I hope I got this right.)

>>>                                      .... if by "ULTIMATE sense" you
>>> mean choosing ALL the influences on oneself throughout one's life
>>> history, nobody has such choice.  But that isn't necessary for one's
>>> choices now to be free -- as long as those early influences lead to
>>> a capacity for "rational evaluative analysis" (r-e-a) by the person.  In
>>> short, you seem to be arguing
>>> 	1. No one chooses all the influences on her development.
>>> 	2. [implicit] Unless one has a choice in all the influences on
>>> 	   one's development, one's later actions are not free choices.
>>> 	3. Therefore, no one has "free will".
>>> I deny premise 2.

>>Good for you!!  Your denying it doesn't change its veracity one bit.  Since
>>free means "independent of external influences, unfettered, etc.", and since
>>you now seem to at least agree that such things directly influence later
>>choices, THEY ARE QUITE SIMPLY *NOT* *FREE*!!!

First of all, if a person's development has provided the capacity  for
"rational  evaluative  analysis"  then  that person has the ability to
decide HOW past influences will  affect  him/her  now.  If  you  don't
believe  me,  then  just think about the last time you chose to change
the way you react to something.

--

					Robert A. Pease
    {hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!oliven!rap

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/19/85)

> First of all, if a person's development has provided the capacity  for
> "rational  evaluative  analysis"  then  that person has the ability to
> decide HOW past influences will  affect  him/her  now.  If  you  don't
> believe  me,  then  just think about the last time you chose to change
> the way you react to something.
> 					Robert A. Pease

I'm trying to like apricots, but I find I just can't, no matter how much
I try to want to...  (Insert that Schopenhauer quote here.)
--
"There!  I've run rings 'round you logically!"
"Oh, intercourse the penguin!"			Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

rap@oliven.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (07/21/85)

> > First of all, if a person's development has provided the capacity  for
> > "rational  evaluative  analysis"  then  that person has the ability to
> > decide HOW past influences will  affect  him/her  now.  If  you  don't
> > believe  me,  then  just think about the last time you chose to change
> > the way you react to something.
> > 					Robert A. Pease
>
> I'm trying to like apricots, but I find I just can't, no matter how much
> I try to want to...  (Insert that Schopenhauer quote here.)
>               			Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

Thats okay, Rich.  Its taken me 15 years to be able to eat cheese  and
keep it down.  Just means that you have your work cut out for you :-).

Seriously, though, if you are really determined to change yor reaction
to  something, you can.  Could it be that try as you might, you really
don't WANT to like apricots?  You can't make changes  in  yourself  if
there is an internal conflict concerning the changes.
--

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/22/85)

>>> First of all, if a person's development has provided the capacity  for
>>> "rational  evaluative  analysis"  then  that person has the ability to
>>> decide HOW past influences will  affect  him/her  now.  If  you  don't
>>> believe  me,  then  just think about the last time you chose to change
>>> the way you react to something. [PEASE]

>>I'm trying to like apricots, but I find I just can't, no matter how much
>>I try to want to...  (Insert that Schopenhauer quote here.) [ROSEN]

> Thats okay, Rich.  Its taken me 15 years to be able to eat cheese  and
> keep it down.  Just means that you have your work cut out for you :-).
> Seriously, though, if you are really determined to change yor reaction
> to  something, you can.  Could it be that try as you might, you really
> don't WANT to like apricots?  You can't make changes  in  yourself  if
> there is an internal conflict concerning the changes.  [PEASE]

But I *want* to want to like apricots.  It would be real neat, I mean, if
the corner store had only apricots on a snowy day, I wouldn't go hungry,
but I can't get myself to even want to like them.  If I am really determined,
I suppose I could learn to want to like them, and then eventually want to
like them, and then maybe even like them.  But the fact that I am unable
to want to want to do this thing, implies something about human brain
function that seems to bode ill for any notion of free will.
--
"Because love grows where my Rosemary goes and nobody knows but me."
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr

aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) (07/25/85)

From Rich Rosen (pyuxd!rlr):

> But I *want* to want to like apricots....  If I am really determined,
> I suppose I could learn to want to like them, and then eventually want to
> like them, and then maybe even like them.  But the fact that I am unable
> to want to want to do this thing, implies something about human brain
> function that seems to bode ill for any notion of free will.

I think you got a bit confused on how many levels of wanting you were talking
about; note that the first and last sentence contradict each other.

I am only responding to this article at all because that phrase "want to want"
caught my eye; it has played its part (and may well do so many times again) in
my growth as a Christian (and hence, as a human being).  In years past, I
indeed wanted to want, say, to care about other human beings; I knew it was
a good thing, but despite that, it was hard to make the emotional commitment
to remove that level of indirection, i.e. to manage just to want to care, and
then to manage to actually care (which I have begun to do but am certainly not
expert at yet).  It can be done.  Of course, it is a matter of getting rid of
whatever within us prevents us from doing what we want to want (i.e. really
want) to do; in my experience, this is chiefly past emotional hurts and
perhaps their festering consequences (e.g. resentment or guilt).

It is possible that your distaste for apricots is indeed biochemical; they
may in fact disagree with your body.  But I doubt that the fact that years ago
I was unable to care for people, and now I have begun to be able to, can be
explained on strictly biochemical grounds.

--
-- Jeff Sargent
{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h!aeq

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/26/85)

> It is possible that your distaste for apricots is indeed biochemical; they
> may in fact disagree with your body.  But I doubt that the fact that years ago
> I was unable to care for people, and now I have begun to be able to, can be
> explained on strictly biochemical grounds. [SARGENT]

I didn't say it was biochemical in that sense (direct body chemistry problems).
I said that my past experiences had led me to dislike apricots (e.g., I threw
up while eating them as a child and associate the taste with that experience).
I cannot decide to want to want to eat apricots, no more than you can decide
to want to like people if you don't.  New experiences might change that, but
it is not a matter of "will".
--
Life is complex.  It has real and imaginary parts.
					Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

rap@oliven.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (07/26/85)

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> I suppose I could learn to want to like them, and then eventually want to
> like them, and then maybe even like them.  But the fact that I am unable
                                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> to want to want to do this thing, implies something about human brain
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> function that seems to bode ill for any notion of free will.
> --
> "Because love grows where my Rosemary goes and nobody knows but me."
> 						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr

No, thats not true.  Who's to say what the real  reason  is  that  you
don't  like  apricots.  Not  me.  At  least  not  when I haven't had a
chance to psycoanalyze you.  And as  I  said  above  (in  my  previous
posting),  you cannot make a change in your response to something when
you have an internal conflict about  making  that  change.  From  your
paragraph above, it sounds like you have a conflict about it.

There is an old saying that applies here,
                "Argue for your  limitations and they're yours."
--

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/27/85)

>>>                               You can't make changes  in  yourself  if
>>> there is an internal conflict concerning the changes.  [PEASE]

>>But I *want* to want to like apricots.  It would be real neat, I mean, if
>>the corner store had only apricots on a snowy day, I wouldn't go hungry,
>>but I can't get myself to even want to like them.  If I am really determined,
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>I suppose I could learn to want to like them, and then eventually want to
>>like them, and then maybe even like them.  But the fact that I am unable
                                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>to want to want to do this thing, implies something about human brain
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>function that seems to bode ill for any notion of free will. [ROSEN]

> No, thats not true.  Who's to say what the real  reason  is  that  you
> don't  like  apricots.  Not  me.  At  least  not  when I haven't had a
> chance to psycoanalyze you.  And as  I  said  above  (in  my  previous
> posting),  you cannot make a change in your response to something when
> you have an internal conflict about  making  that  change.  From  your
> paragraph above, it sounds like you have a conflict about it. [PEASE]

But what does "liking" or "not liking" something mean?  Is it necessarily,
as Jeff Sargent put it, a biochemical direct thing (something about my
taste buds and nervous system that automatically sends the sensation of
apricot chemicals to the "UGGGGHH!" center of my brain), or could it be
that I associate, cognitively but subconsciously, the sensation of tasting
apricots with "UGGGGHH!"?  Is that what "internal conflict" means?
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) (07/29/85)

In article <1313@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:
>I cannot decide to want to want to eat apricots, no more than you can decide
>to want to like people if you don't.  New experiences might change that, but
>it is not a matter of "will".
>--
>					Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

Thats funny,  I have decided to want things and modified my desires
accordingly several times.  Its easy if you know how.  Does that mean
that my will is more free than yours?
-David Sher
seismo!rochester!sher
sher@rochester

rap@oliven.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (07/30/85)

The topic has been free will.  Specificly wether or  not  someone  can
change  their  reaction  to  events  happening  to  them.  (A  similar
discussion is going on in net.singles about "choosing" to feel pain at
being  turned  down  for  a  date,  but  I don't recall if the two are
related or not.) The situation brought up is that Rich has an aversion
to eating apricots and wonders if he can "choose" to change that.

> > And as I said above (in my previous posting), you cannot make a change
> > in your response to something when you have an internal conflict about
> > making that change. [PEASE]
>
> But what does "liking" or "not liking" something mean?  Is it necessarily,
> as Jeff Sargent put it, a biochemical direct thing (something about my
> taste buds and nervous system that automatically sends the sensation of
> apricot chemicals to the "UGGGGHH!" center of my brain), or could it be
> that I associate, cognitively but subconsciously, the sensation of tasting
> apricots with "UGGGGHH!"?  Is that what "internal conflict" means? [RICH]

It doesn't matter what "liking" or "not liking"  means.  What  matters
is that this is a goal that you are concidering and for that goal only
you can define the above terms.  What I mean by "internal conflict" is
that  one  part of you is in conflict with another part.  Please don't
ask me to define conflict.  I think we all know what a conflict is.

Now, again, I don't know what your reasons are for not liking apricots
are (ignoring for the moment that they made you gag in the past).  All
I can do is tell you that I had the same problem with  cheese  for  at
least  15  years.  I find that now I can eat most cheese's and have no
problem.  Just 2 days ago I had my first bleu  cheese  dressing  on  a
salad.  My first taste left a little to be desired, but the more I ate
the easier it got.  So what I am saying is that it can (and has)  been
overcome.

> Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
> 					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

There is a story that a man told that if you believed  with  all  your
heart  and  all  your  mind  and all your soul that you could say to a
mountain, "be thou uprooted and cast into the sea," and  it  would  be
done.  How  much  easier, then, would it be to enjoy the flavor of one
of God's fruits?  But it is still your choice.
--

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/31/85)

> The topic has been free will.  Specificly wether or  not  someone  can
> change  their  reaction  to  events  happening  to  them.  (A  similar
> discussion is going on in net.singles about "choosing" to feel pain at
> being  turned  down  for  a  date,  but  I don't recall if the two are
> related or not.)

I think they are, very much so.

> The situation brought up is that Rich has an aversion
> to eating apricots and wonders if he can "choose" to change that.
>>> And as I said above (in my previous posting), you cannot make a change
>>> in your response to something when you have an internal conflict about
>>> making that change. [PEASE]
>
>>But what does "liking" or "not liking" something mean?  Is it necessarily,
>>as Jeff Sargent put it, a biochemical direct thing (something about my
>>taste buds and nervous system that automatically sends the sensation of
>>apricot chemicals to the "UGGGGHH!" center of my brain), or could it be
>>that I associate, cognitively but subconsciously, the sensation of tasting
>>apricots with "UGGGGHH!"?  Is that what "internal conflict" means? [RICH]
>
> It doesn't matter what "liking" or "not liking"  means.  [PEASE]

Stop.  If it "doesn't matter" what the words we are talking about mean,
we're not having a conversation.  Two people are just making sounds at
each other.  If we can't understand the meaning of what is being said,
moreover, if one of us doesn't CARE to, conversation is meaningless.
--

lip@masscomp.UUCP (John Lipinski) (08/01/85)

In article <10769@rochester.UUCP> sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) writes:
>Thats funny,  I have decided to want things and modified my desires
>accordingly several times.  Its easy if you know how.  Does that mean
>that my will is more free than yours [rosen's]?
>-David Sher

No, that doesn't mean that your will is more free.  By saying "I have decided
to want" you necessarily imply that you want to want.  A decision is necessarily
made by  a desire.  No matter what how you change your desires, you are still
bound to wanting to change them.  You can never free the shackle of desire.

	- John Lipinski	{decvax,ihnp4}!masscomp!lip

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/02/85)

>>I cannot decide to want to want to eat apricots, no more than you can decide
>>to want to like people if you don't.  New experiences might change that, but
>>it is not a matter of "will".
>>					Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

> Thats funny,  I have decided to want things and modified my desires
> accordingly several times.  Its easy if you know how.  Does that mean
> that my will is more free than yours?
> -David Sher

You "decided to want" them?  Or you already wanted them but had a distaste
for the process of acquiring them and overcame the distaste?  Examples?