[net.religion] My beliefs

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (08/09/85)

jharman@watarts.UUCP (James Harman) writes:

>I am an agnostic. I have several evangelistic friends, otherwise normal,
>(ooooohhhhhh, sorry), who claim that i will "burn in hell" because
>I do not accept Jesus into my life.
>I say that IF there is a God then IF I lead a "good" life
>then HE would not consign me hell because I did not truly believe in his
>existence, without proof.
>Any god who would do so, strictly on such an arbitrary basis, is not a God
>worth worshipping. Under that, Men like Ghandi would be doomed
>while men like Torquemada would have an honoured place ( Confess).
>Besides, what is so great and merciful about the Judeo Christian
>God anyways?

Although I am a Buddhist/Hindu/Taoist/generic pagan/whatever, and not an
agnostic, I agree with the general points in your posting.  Thought I'd
better give you a little pat on the back because you may need it.  Better
put on your asbestos suit as you are going to be flamed badly.
In fact, I can see that it has already started from a posting we
received here.

Friends who claim that you "will 'burn in hell'" are not friends.
You might want to avoid these people.  Be sure and let them know why
you are avoiding them, and that you will be willing to be friends again
iff they either get more normal or at least keep their beliefs to
themselves.  Maybe it will bring them to their senses.  Probably it
won't--but at least you will have tried, and they will be off your
case--something which you probably need judging from the harried tone
of your posting.

By the way, don't judge all religions by fundamentalist Christians or
even by Christianity in general.  In this country people often feel
christianity==religion.  It ain't so.  Christianity as it has evolved
is bizarre.  In particular, F.C. is a deviant mutation.

              Good luck and peace,
--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829