[net.religion] marriage = commitment

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (06/27/85)

>>I just think that commitment is the keyword here, but it does not
>>necessarily have to be towards marriage.

>        Nice sentiment, Colin, but marriage IS commitment and the MOST
>        commitment IS marriage.
>                                           Rick Merrill

Check that.  Marriage is A commitment.  One of a number of possiblities.
It amazes me that many people (like maybe one in the past 20 I have dis-
cussed my situation with) see only _one_ outcome of an ongoing SO rela-
tionship.

Marriage is also a legal contract with rights and priviledges that are
defined state by state. Marriage also carries a certain amount of social
debris that a couple may not welcome.  It may bear religious connotations
to which the couple does not subscribe.

On a personal level, I heartily disagree with your statement that the most
commitment is marriage, but then, I don't know you, and I'm not about to
get married to you, so it doesn't matter much to me.  But, a word of advice,
do talk it over when/if you decide to get married, since she may not see
it in quite the same light.

Adrienne Regard

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (06/27/85)

Check that.  I meant to say " It amazes me that many people (like maybe
ALL BUT one in the past 20 I have discussed my situation with) see only
^^^ ^^^

rap@oliveb.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (07/03/85)

> Marriage is also a legal contract with rights and priviledges that are
> defined state by state. Marriage also carries a certain amount of social
> debris that a couple may not welcome.  It may bear religious connotations
> to which the couple does not subscribe.
>
> Adrienne Regard

Good point.  I know of a couple who decided not to get married, but to
just  live together.  They had children who kept getting hassled about
their last name.  It seems that the  school  board  decided  that  the
children couldn't use their father's last name because he didn't marry
their mother.  Well, to try and make things easier for their children,
they   finally   got  married.   That  was  the  end  of  a  beautiful
relationship.  The fights started and they basicly fell apart.

The story has a happy ending, though.  They got  divorced.  Then  they
began  living  together.  And  they  got  along.  And the school board
couldn't say a damn thing about the kids' last name.

Ok, the whole point to this story (and its a true one)  is  that  some
people  can  be  committed to each other without having to get married
and they know when they are  better  off.  DON'T  FORCE  SOMETHING  ON
SOMEONE THAT THEY FEEL IS NOT RIGHT.
--
					Robert A. Pease
    {hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!oliven!rap

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (07/05/85)

> Good point.  I know of a couple who decided not to get married, but to
> just  live together.  They had children who kept getting hassled about
> their last name.  It seems that the  school  board  decided  that  the
> children couldn't use their father's last name because he didn't marry
> their mother.  Well, to try and make things easier for their children,
> they   finally   got  married.   That  was  the  end  of  a  beautiful
> relationship.  The fights started and they basicly fell apart.

Why didn't the kids just use their mother's last name?  Seems if you're
going to defy one tradition, you may as well go whole hog.

	marie

simpson@lll-crg.ARPA (Rea Simpson) (07/07/85)

In article <485@oliveb.UUCP> rap@oliveb.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) writes:

>> Marriage is also a legal contract with rights and priviledges that are
>> defined state by state. Marriage also carries a certain amount of social
>> debris that a couple may not welcome.  It may bear religious connotations
>> to which the couple does not subscribe.
>>
>> Adrienne Regard
>
>Good point.  I know of a couple who decided not to get married, but to
>just  live together.  They had children who kept getting hassled about
>their last name. ... they   finally   got  married.   That  was  the
>end  of  a  beautiful relationship.  The fights started and they
>basicly fell apart.
>
>The story has a happy ending, though.  They got  divorced.  Then  they
>began  living  together.  And  they  got  along.
>
>Ok, the whole point to this story (and its a true one)  is  that  some
>people  can  be  committed to each other without having to get married
>and they know when they are  better  off.  DON'T  FORCE  SOMETHING  ON
>SOMEONE THAT THEY FEEL IS NOT RIGHT.
>--
>					Robert A. Pease
>    {hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!oliven!rap

I've heard a lot of talk about how getting married can ruin things.  I'm not
sure I understand this (I have never been married).  What's the big difference
between being married and living together.  I lived with a guy for 1.5 years
and at some points I think it would have been easier if we had been married,
although neither of us was ready for that.

____

" Let there be songs to fill the air ... "

" Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
  If your cup is full may it be again "

____
				Rea Simpson
				Lawrence Livermore Labs L-306
				P.O. Box 808
				Livermore, CA  94550
				(415) 423-0910

{dual, gymble, sun, mordor}!lll-crg!simpson
simpson@lll-crg.ARPA

rap@oliveb.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (07/09/85)

> > Good point.  I know of a couple who decided not to get married, but to
> > just  live together.  They had children who kept getting hassled about
> > their last name.  It seems that the  school  board  decided  that  the
> > children couldn't use their father's last name because he didn't marry
> > their mother.  Well, to try and make things easier for their children,
> > they   finally   got  married.   That  was  the  end  of  a  beautiful
> > relationship.  The fights started and they basicly fell apart.
> >

> Why didn't the kids just use their mother's last name?  Seems if you're
> going to defy one tradition, you may as well go whole hog.
>
> 	marie

Sigh, you missed the point.  To repeat;

rap@oliveb.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (07/11/85)

> I've heard a lot of talk about how getting married can ruin things.  I'm not
> sure I understand this (I have never been married).  What's the big difference
> between being married and living together.  I lived with a guy for 1.5 years
> and at some points I think it would have been easier if we had been married,
> although neither of us was ready for that.
>
> 				Rea Simpson

I don't know why  it  happened,  but  when  I  got  married  something
changed.  We  both noticed it and had a few minor arguments because of
it.  In our case, though, all  it  took  was  to  recognise  what  was
happening and make an extra effort to be more tollerent.
--

grwalter@watnot.UUCP (Fred) (07/12/85)

In article <500@oliveb.UUCP> rap@oliveb.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) writes:
>> I've heard a lot of talk about how getting married can ruin things.  I'm not
>> sure I understand this (I have never been married). What's the big difference
>> between being married and living together.  I lived with a guy for 1.5 years
>> and at some points I think it would have been easier if we had been married,
>> although neither of us was ready for that.
>>
>> 				Rea Simpson
>
>I don't know why  it  happened,  but  when  I  got  married  something
>changed.  We  both noticed it and had a few minor arguments because of
>it.  In our case, though, all  it  took  was  to  recognise  what  was
>happening and make an extra effort to be more tollerent.
>--
>					Robert A. Pease

I don't see how a relationship could change for the worse just because you
were married. Any such change would probably (to my way of thinking) have
happened even if you didn't get married. I don't know your situation and so
am curious as to what effect marriage had on your relationship (and on
relationships in general - little things to watch out for when I finally
find that special someone(s) whom I will marry).

just curious
fred

UUCP  : {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!watnot!grwalter
CSNET : grwalter%watnot@waterloo.csnet
ARPA  : grwalter%watnot%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/12/85)

>>I've heard a lot of talk about how getting married can ruin things.  I'm not
>>sure I understand this (I have never been married).  What's the big difference
>>between being married and living together.  I lived with a guy for 1.5 years
>>and at some points I think it would have been easier if we had been married,
>>although neither of us was ready for that.  [REA SIMPSON]

> I don't know why  it  happened,  but  when  I  got  married  something
> changed.  We  both noticed it and had a few minor arguments because of
> it.  In our case, though, all  it  took  was  to  recognise  what  was
> happening and make an extra effort to be more tollerent. [ROBERT A. PEASE]

It seems that the worst thing that marriage does to two people is the way
it makes them take each other for granted.  As if, throughout "courtship",
they were just playing up their good side, showing off their good points
and hiding their flaws; but once the rings are exchanged, he's (she's) got
her (him)!  No longer does either one have to worry about "making a good
impression" on the other one.  Leave your clothes all over the place,
don't bother paying any attention to your appearance, be a general slob
and/or boor, don't bother putting up the front of consideration, etc.

Not that this happens to all couples, but it seems to fit for those who
ask "What happened to my marriage?" and then answer their own question with
"It's all my spouse's fault!"  Some people were brought up with very strange
ideas of what marriage and relationships are supposed to be like, and these
expectations may be bludgeoned away by the reality of being married to another
person.  Isn't divorce inevitable if they continue to try to force their
expectations onto the other person?

I can't help but think that the entertainment industry perpetuates such
ridiculous notions about relationships.  How many soaps/MTV videos/etc.
have had, as their bottom line, problems in relationships that are all the
*other* person's fault?  Not just the cockeyed heavymetal videos that
depict the woman who won't succumb to her boyfriend's wishes as the "problem"
in a relationship, but those shows/videos that work in the reverse sense, too!
It certainly isn't helping us get rid of these notions that have their roots
in arcane traditions that offer simple roles and expectations for everyone
to adhere to...
--
Like a turban (HEY!), worn for the very first time...
			Rich Rosen   ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (07/17/85)

> I've heard a lot of talk about how getting married can ruin things.  I'm not
> sure I understand this (I have never been married). What's the big difference
> between being married and living together.  I lived with a guy for 1.5 years
> and at some points I think it would have been easier if we had been married,
> although neither of us was ready for that.
>
> 				Rea Simpson

	It seems to me that the subject line, "marriage = commitment",
just about says it all. When a couple is only living together, their
commitment to one another must in a sense be renewed daily. There is
no implication of permanence in the arrangement. No specific problem
need arise for a break to occur. Either party may simply weary of the
situation, and decide to end it.
	With marriage, I believe a future commitment is made. It is not
an *absolute* commitment to stick it out no matter what; that would not
be realistic. Things change, people change, and there are no guarantees
in this life. But, to me at least, marriage *does* mean a complete
commitment to the relationship as it exists at the time of the marriage.
In other words, each party is saying to the other, "there is nothing
about you that I'm currently aware of which would ever cause me to leave
you."
	I think some people take an opposite view of marriage, and for
these people marriage can become the end of their relationship. They
hope that the act of marriage will help resolve their difficulties, instead
of resolving them before they make the commitment. Perhaps this works,
sometimes, but when it doesn't work, the person finds they've made a
lifetime commitment to an unsatisfactory mate. So they recognize their
mistake, and call it quits. And marriage ends up destroying a
relationship that worked reasonably well when they only lived together.
	Incidentally, I've lived with women both with contract (i.e.
married) and without, and thoroughly approve of both. I don't mean to
imply that lifelong commitment *can't* exist without formal marriage
vows, only that it rarely does.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	USENET:		 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,nsc,hao,hplabs}!ames!barry

simpson@lll-crg.ARPA (Rea Simpson) (07/17/85)

In article <1204@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:
>>>I've heard a lot of talk about how getting married can ruin things.  I'm not
>>>sure I understand this (I have never been married).  What's the big difference
>>>between being married and living together.  I lived with a guy for 1.5 years
>>>and at some points I think it would have been easier if we had been married,
>>>although neither of us was ready for that.  [REA SIMPSON]
>
>> I don't know why  it  happened,  but  when  I  got  married  something
>> changed.  We  both noticed it and had a few minor arguments because of
>> it.  In our case, though, all  it  took  was  to  recognise  what  was
>> happening and make an extra effort to be more tollerent. [ROBERT A. PEASE]
>
>It seems that the worst thing that marriage does to two people is the way
>it makes them take each other for granted.  As if, throughout "courtship",
>they were just playing up their good side, showing off their good points
>and hiding their flaws; but once the rings are exchanged, he's (she's) got
>her (him)!  No longer does either one have to worry about "making a good
>impression" on the other one.  Leave your clothes all over the place,
>don't bother paying any attention to your appearance, be a general slob
>and/or boor, don't bother putting up the front of consideration, etc.
>[RICH ROSEN]

With the divorce rate the way it is I don't really think getting married
means that you've "GOT" them, although I think the point Rich has made
is a valid one.  People do tend to show only their good sides at the beginning
of a relationship.  But don't they become lax (for lack of a better word) as
the relationship continues whether or not the get married?

____

"  ... and a friend or two I love at hand ..."
____

arnold@ucbingres.ARPA (Ken Arnold) (07/18/85)

> I've heard a lot of talk about how getting married can ruin things.  I'm not
> sure I understand this (I have never been married). What's the big difference
> between being married and living together.  I lived with a guy for 1.5 years
> and at some points I think it would have been easier if we had been married,
> although neither of us was ready for that.

What often happens is that people have certain expectations about what
a "wife" or "husband" is.  These opinions are often held subconciously,
but are still there.  Thus, the person you live with has no defined
role in this type of scheme, and so it is easier to define the
relationship as befits the couple, but after marriage you suddenly have
a "wife" or "husband", and they, by God!, have a role to play.  The
attidues are often formed by watching your parents relationships, plus
those roles portrayed in the media to which you had access.  I know
several couples who had this problem, even up to seperation, and when
they realized what was going on, they were able to work it out.

One of the more common factors of these roles is that the other person
is stuck with you, and so you start taking them more for granted.  This
often includes the idea that he is the head of the household, and she
should give in to his wishes.  Of course, these can exist in a non-
marriage relationships, but often the actual assumption of the legal
position brings these out with a vengence.

		Ken Arnold

adams@plx.UUCP (Robert Adams) (07/19/85)

(What is/was this discussion doing in net.philosophy?)

>> I've heard a lot of talk about how getting married can ruin things.  I'm not
>> sure I understand this (I have never been married). What's the big difference
>> between being married and living together.
>> 				Rea Simpson
>
> 	It seems to me that the subject line, "marriage = commitment",
> just about says it all. When a couple is only living together, their
> commitment to one another must in a sense be renewed daily. There is
> no implication of permanence in the arrangement.
> -  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry

My experience with "marriage ruining things" has not to do
with the "commitment" involved but with the baggage that the culture
adds to a marriage.  When two are living together they are equal
partners -- if both are working, they expect to keep working.
Once married, though, there is the role of the stay at home
house wife that is now a possibility.  These things that "hang on"
the roles associated with a marriage cause most of the tension
that can destroy a relationship that was once "good" before the
marriage.

   ..!{decvax,ucbvax}!sun!plx!adams             -- Robert Adams

hammond@steinmetz.UUCP (Steve Hammond) (07/24/85)

> My experience with "marriage ruining things" has not to do
> with the "commitment" involved but with the baggage that the culture
> adds to a marriage.  When two are living together they are equal
> partners -- if both are working, they expect to keep working.
> Once married, though, there is the role of the stay at home
> house wife that is now a possibility.  These things that "hang on"
> the roles associated with a marriage cause most of the tension
> that can destroy a relationship that was once "good" before the
> marriage.
>
>    ..!{decvax,ucbvax}!sun!plx!adams             -- Robert Adams

Not being married...
I cannot imagine the kind of "baggage" that Robert speaks of.  I do
know that there is no "baggage" clause in the marriage license or
in the vows unless *you* put them there.  Why can't a couple continue
to both work and seek active careers just as before?  The baggage
is *your* own preconceived notion.  Please don't try to pass off the
tension as something that society puts on a marriage.  If that was
the entire story, this institution be in serious trouble today.
(I just saw in this mornings paper that there were roughly 3 times
as many marriages as divorces in NY during 1984.  It can't be all
that bad.)  I just can't believe that the equal partners aspect has
to dissolve once you tie the knot.  I think that a "partners"
concept adds all sorts of nice connotations to a marriage.

--
  Steve Hammond   arpa: hammond@GE   uucp: {...edison!}steinmetz!hammond

cff@uvaee.UUCP (Chuck Ferrara) (07/25/85)

In article <203@steinmetz.UUCP> hammond@steinmetz.UUCP (Steve Hammond) writes:

>Not being married...
>I cannot imagine the kind of "baggage" that Robert speaks of.  I do
>know that there is no "baggage" clause in the marriage license or
>in the vows unless *you* put them there.  Why can't a couple continue
>to both work and seek active careers just as before?

But, who stays home to raise the kids? Somebody has to do it. Unfortunately,
this means one partner must give up a career much too often. Children need
parental attention and they can be deprived of this if both parents
continue to work full time. If both partners want to
pursue their careers full-time, they have some serious decisions to make
if they want kids.
--
	Chuck Ferrara @  U. Va. Dept. of EE; Charlottesville,Va. 22901
	UUCP:	...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!uvaee!cff  (804)924-7316

rance@cornell.UUCP (Rance Cleaveland) (07/26/85)

> > My experience with "marriage ruining things" has not to do
> > with the "commitment" involved but with the baggage that the culture
> > adds to a marriage.  When two are living together they are equal
> > partners -- if both are working, they expect to keep working.
> > Once married, though, there is the role of the stay at home
> > house wife that is now a possibility.  These things that "hang on"
> > the roles associated with a marriage cause most of the tension
> > that can destroy a relationship that was once "good" before the
> > marriage.
> >
> >    ..!{decvax,ucbvax}!sun!plx!adams             -- Robert Adams
>
> Not being married...
> I cannot imagine the kind of "baggage" that Robert speaks of.  I do
> know that there is no "baggage" clause in the marriage license or
> in the vows unless *you* put them there.  Why can't a couple continue
> to both work and seek active careers just as before?  The baggage
> is *your* own preconceived notion.

But people exist in the context of their society, right?  That's Mr.
Adams' point, namely, that despite the best intentions of both parties
involved a marriage can founder because of the cultural baggage (whose
existence, alas, is only half-realized as people pursue "their" thing)
both partners carry.  The baggage is your own preconceived notion, but
where do you think your preconceptions come from?  Self-actualization
(and assorted other modern hogwash) aside, we are creatures of our culture,
and no matter what we want to believe it can be hard as hell to really
free oneself (and I mean REALLY free, not just rhetorically free) from
cultural conditioning....

Regards,
Rance Cleaveland

ajmiller@ihu1m.UUCP (a. miller) (08/01/85)

> > > My experience with "marriage ruining things" has not to do
> > > with the "commitment" involved but with the baggage that the culture
> > > adds to a marriage.  When two are living together they are equal
> > > partners -- if both are working, they expect to keep working.
> > > Once married, though, there is the role of the stay at home
> > > house wife that is now a possibility.  These things that "hang on"
> > > the roles associated with a marriage cause most of the tension
> > > that can destroy a relationship that was once "good" before the
> > > marriage.
> > >
> > >    ..!{decvax,ucbvax}!sun!plx!adams             -- Robert Adams

Marriage from a christian's standpoint is an institution created by God.
He commanded be fruitful and multiply. Taking this into consideration involves
having children. For our species to survive children must be concieved.
To have a good and moral society free from anarchy someone must raise the
children. The christian beleives this is the wife's duties. With this in
mind someone must take care of the children. And that means 24 hours a day.
There is a responsiblity in being married. The most important is raising
children. The idea of quality time does not exist. What children need is
to be with their parents and the more time the better. If not the wife
than the husband. This should be commited before and kept during the marriage.
If the two cannot agree than they should not have children. I am glad that
my mom and dad concieved and raised me so that I can enjoy life now and later.

			Andy Miller

--
					Andy Miller
					ix 0805

purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) (08/03/85)

In article <591@ihu1m.UUCP> ajmiller@ihu1m.UUCP (a. miller) writes:

>Marriage from a christian's standpoint is an institution created by God.
>He commanded be fruitful and multiply. Taking this into consideration involves
>having children. For our species to survive children must be concieved.
>To have a good and moral society free from anarchy someone must raise the
>children. The christian beleives this is the wife's duties. With this in
>mind someone must take care of the children. And that means 24 hours a day.
>There is a responsiblity in being married. The most important is raising
>children. The idea of quality time does not exist. What children need is
>to be with their parents and the more time the better. If not the wife
>than the husband. This should be commited before and kept during the marriage.
>If the two cannot agree than they should not have children. I am glad that
>my mom and dad concieved and raised me so that I can enjoy life now and later.
>
>			Andy Miller

   I can see that I've "n'd" over this discussion far too long. As to
Robert's comments - I agree for the most part. But I honestly believe
that there are people who just are not born or have not been raised to
be able, or happy, to commit themselves to one person for a long period
of time. I'm beginning to think quite seriously that I am one of them. I
don't know if this is a sign of emotional immaturity or if it's just the
way that some people are. I rather think (or at least hope) that it's
the latter. I love people deeply, and become close to people, but I
really suck at commitments.
   As to Andy - I've heard the claim before that it's not right for a
Christian to marry unless they plan on having children. I'm not sure if
that's what he's saying or not, but it is a view that I totally disagree
with. I plan on never having a child (whether I marry or not) although I
do want to adopt one someday (whether I'm married or not.) As to one
person having to stay at home and take care of the child, I definitely
disagree. I also disagree that there is no such thing as quality time. I
know some wonderful parents who both work. I come from a single parent
home. I went through a lot of tough times and spent a lot of time on the
streets. But I enjoy life now, and I expect to enjoy later. Not to say
that my childhood was one that I would wish on anyone, but you can't say
that just these certain elements (one parent not working, spending a lot
of time with the kids, etc.) makes a good parent, a good family, or a
good child.

    cheers -

   elizabeth g. purtell

   (Lady Godiva)

In article <1761@reed.UUCP> purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) writes:
>>Marriage from a christian's standpoint is an institution created by God.
>>He commanded be fruitful and multiply. Taking this into consideration
>>involves having children. For our species to survive children must be
>>conceived.  To have a good and moral society free from anarchy
>>someone must raise the children. The christian believes this is the
>>wife's duties. With this in mind someone must take care of the children.
>>And that means 24 hours a day.  There is a responsiblity in being
>>married. The most important is raising children. The idea of quality
>>time does not exist. What children need is to be with their parents
>>and the more time the better. If not the wife then the husband.
>>This should be commited before and kept during the marriage.
>>If the two cannot agree than they should not have children. I am glad that
>>my mom and dad conceived and raised me so that I can enjoy life now
>>and later. [Andy Miller]

>   As to Andy - I've heard the claim before that it's not right for a
>Christian to marry unless they plan on having children. I'm not sure if
>that's what he's saying or not, but it is a view that I totally disagree
>with. I plan on never having a child (whether I marry or not) although I
>do want to adopt one someday (whether I'm married or not.) As to one
>person having to stay at home and take care of the child, I definitely
>disagree. I also disagree that there is no such thing as quality time. I
>know some wonderful parents who both work. I come from a single parent
>home. I went through a lot of tough times and spent a lot of time on the
>streets. But I enjoy life now, and I expect to enjoy later. Not to say
>that my childhood was one that I would wish on anyone, but you can't say
>that just these certain elements (one parent not working, spending a lot
>of time with the kids, etc.) makes a good parent, a good family, or a
>good child.

Andy is incorrect when he attributes his position to Christianity in general,
because a number of protestant churches explicitly disagree with this
position.  For instance,  the Anglican Lambeth Conference in 1958 identified
many significances to sex besides procreation.  Just reading Genesis, it is
clear that the reason for marriage is companionship rather than procreation.

Children do not in fact need absolute 24 hours a day supervision; when they
are old enough, it indeed becomes  burden upon them.  I don't think it is
clear yet whether or not latchkey kids are really so disadvantaged.  I would
suspect that with some parents, it is better for them than the other
alternative.

This flight from freedom and responsibility is always puzzling to me.  We are
supposed to be rational creatures, capable of reasoning out a situation rather
than always having to follow some rule.  Yet what I hear Andy saying is that
this one role assignment is ALWAYS the correct one (with rather scanty
justification from scripture too).  Isn't it possible that responsible parents
could look at their children and say, "It is time that we both returned to
work; the children are old enough to deal with a few hours of being left to
themselves"?

It should also be obvious that the emotional wellbeing of the parents has a
considerable impact upon the psychological health of the children.  Parents
do in fact need to get away from their kids once in a while.

C Wingate

"Are you sure you weren't adopted?"

speaker@gymble.UUCP (Speaker to Animals) (08/05/85)

In article <1761@reed.UUCP> purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) writes:

>> Marriage from a christian's standpoint is an institution created by God.
>> He commanded be fruitful and multiply. Taking this into consideration involves
>> having children. For our species to survive children must be concieved.
>> To have a good and moral society free from anarchy someone must raise the
>> children. The christian beleives this is the wife's duties. With this in
>> mind someone must take care of the children. And that means 24 hours a day.
>> There is a responsiblity in being married. The most important is raising
>> children. The idea of quality time does not exist. What children need is
>> to be with their parents and the more time the better. If not the wife
>> than the husband. This should be commited before and kept during the marriage.
>> If the two cannot agree than they should not have children. I am glad that
>> my mom and dad concieved and raised me so that I can enjoy life now and later.

Not all Christians will agree with you that "the christian believes
this is the wife's duties."  Please think before you make sweeping
statements about what your religion dictates about the family insitution...
and about what other christitans feel their religion requires of them.
Not every christian household saddles the wife with the menial tasks.  From
your above statement I gather that you believe it is the wife that is to do the
day-to-day grundgy work, while the man comes home to provide leadership
when the kids are fit to be seen.

On a side-note you seem to disaprove of anarchy since you imply that
arnarchy = chaos.  This is not always the case, although it most often
is the case in our world.

purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) (08/08/85)

In article <215@gymble.UUCP> speaker@gymble.UUCP (Speaker to Animals) writes:
>In article <1761@reed.UUCP> purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) writes:
NO SHE DOESN"T!!!!!
>>> Marriage from a christian's standpoint is an institution created by God.
>>> He commanded be fruitful and multiply. Taking this into consideration involves
>>> having children. For our species to survive children must be concieved.
>>> To have a good and moral society free from anarchy someone must raise the
>>> children. The christian beleives this is the wife's duties. With this in
>>> mind someone must take care of the children. And that means 24 hours a day.
>>> There is a responsiblity in being married. The most important is raising
>>> children. The idea of quality time does not exist. What children need is
>>> to be with their parents and the more time the better. If not the wife
>>> than the husband. This should be commited before and kept during the marriage.
>>> If the two cannot agree than they should not have children. I am glad that
>>> my mom and dad concieved and raised me so that I can enjoy life now and later.
>
>Not all Christians will agree with you that "the christian believes
>this is the wife's duties."  Please think before you make sweeping
>statements about what your religion dictates about the family insitution...
>and about what other christitans feel their religion requires of them.
>Not every christian household saddles the wife with the menial tasks.  From
>your above statement I gather that you believe it is the wife that is to do the
>day-to-day grundgy work, while the man comes home to provide leadership
>when the kids are fit to be seen.
>
>On a side-note you seem to disaprove of anarchy since you imply that
>arnarchy = chaos.  This is not always the case, although it most often
>is the case in our world.

  I did not write the above material. I followed up on it, but I
certainly did not write it nor agree with it. I really don't need the
entire net thinking that I think that taking care of the children 24
hours a day is the wife's duty. So let's get this clear - I did not
write that. I do not agree with any of it. I certainly don't think that
one should not have sex if one doesn't want to have children as a
result, I don't think that the wife (or anyone else) needs to be home to
take care of the kids 24 hours, and I never said anything about anarchy
or chaos. I've got enough problems with people who disagree with what I
really say, I don't need people sending me letters disagreeing with what
I didn't say.

  cheers -

   elizabeth g. purtell

  (Lady Godiva)

speaker@gymble.UUCP (Speaker to Animals) (08/10/85)

[An unknown poster]
>>> Marriage from a christian's standpoint is an institution created by God.
>>> He commanded be fruitful and multiply. Taking this into consideration
>>> involves having children....

[Lady Godiva writes]

  I did not write the above material. I followed up on it, but I
certainly did not write it nor agree with it. I really don't need the
entire net thinking that I think that taking care of the children 24
hours a day is the wife's duty. So let's get this clear - I did not
write that. I do not agree with any of it. I certainly don't think that
one should not have sex if one doesn't want to have children as a
result, I don't think that the wife (or anyone else) needs to be home to
take care of the kids 24 hours, and I never said anything about anarchy
or chaos. I've got enough problems with people who disagree with what I
really say, I don't need people sending me letters disagreeing with what
I didn't say.

[and....]

I didn't say this!! I Followed up on it, and I disagreed with
it.  Please please PLEASE check who you're attributing something to
before you post an article.

[Speaker-To-Animals]

Now now now... don't get excited.  I said nothing of the sort about
you, and nowhere in my article does your name even appear!  Only the
attribute line from your reply remained.  Notice also that the person
that wrote the original article apparently neglected to leave a "you
write" line since it doesn't appear in either my article or Charley
Wingate's (reference 1108@umcp-cs).  How can I include an attribute
line when there was none to begin with?

So with no personal attack or explicite reference to you made I think
you're jumping the gun a bit.  I mean REALLY... just how many times do
you need to repeat yourself?  Once is quite enough and quite frankly
I get a little irritated by people that feel the need to bludgen me
over the head as if I didn't see what was two feet in front of my nose.

Calm down and mellow out a bit.

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (08/12/85)

In article <591@ihu1m.UUCP> ajmiller@ihu1m.UUCP (a. miller) writes:

>Marriage from a christian's standpoint is an institution created by God.

ok

>He commanded be fruitful and multiply.

Looking at the world (over)population, I'd say that we have
accomplished this.  Perhaps we should now turn our attention to some
of the other commandments, which we haven't done so well on.

> ... someone must raise the children.  The christian beleives
>this is the wife's duties.

The Christian Andy Miller believes this is the wife's duty.
The Christian Dave Seifert believes this is the duty of BOTH parents.

> The idea of quality time does not exist.

The *idea* doesn't exist?  huh?  Quality time does exist.  The
problem is if you use high-quality time to justify low-quality
time.

> What children need is to be with their parents and the more time
> the better.

I suspect that you are refering to those who have kids, then put
the kids in institutions while both parents work.  I fail to see
the point in having children only to stick them in some
institution and continue with your career as usual.  On the other
hand, I'm not sure it *has* to be the parents that are with the
child 24 hours a day.  There is the time-honored tradition of
Grand[mp]a-as-babysitter.  Also Aunts and Uncles, older siblings,
etc.  And I'm sure that it is possible to find a *good* day care
center.  But again, if the parents aren't doing *most* of the
raising of their kids, why did they have kids?  To make Mom and Dad
into Grandma and Grampa?  To contribute to overpopulation?  Because
it's the 'in' thing to do?   Bad reasons to have kids.

Snoopy
tektronix!hammer!seifert

Whoops, oh, Lord, oh well I did it again.
Now, I've got ten children of my own.
I've got another child on the way, that makes eleven.
But I'm in constant Heaven.
I know it's all right in my mind.
'cause I got a little schoolgirl, an' she's all mine.

			-Page, Jones & Bonham

purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) (08/14/85)

 it.

>[Speaker-To-Animals]
>
>Now now now... don't get excited.  I said nothing of the sort about
>you, and nowhere in my article does your name even appear!  Only the
>attribute line from your reply remained.
>How can I include an attribute
>line when there was none to begin with?

    All that is necessary for people to think that I posted something is
for the attribution line to be there. And the correct attribution line
was in the article when I followed up on it. When it says "Lady Godiva
writes..." and then is followed by an article, I'd assume that people
would think that I wrote it.

>So with no personal attack or explicite reference to you made I think
>you're jumping the gun a bit.
>Once is quite enough and quite frankly
>I get a little irritated by people that feel the need to bludgen me
>over the head as if I didn't see what was two feet in front of my nose.

    How much more explicite do you want to get? As far as once being
enough, I only posted one article about it. The only reason that I sent
a reply to you is that I wasn't sure how frequently you read this
newsgroup, and I just wanted to be sure that this was called to your
attention. I never claimed that a personal attack was made on me, and if
I had agreed, even slightly, with the article, I wouldn't have been
upset at all, although I would have still posted a disclaimer. But,
really, do you expect me to allow the possibility that people on the net
would think that I thought that women should stay home and take care of
the kids, etc.?

      calm and mellow -

     elizabeth g. purtell

     (Lady Godiva)