[net.religion] commitment in marriage

howard@cyb-eng.UUCP (Howard Johnson) (08/15/85)

> >In article <1761@reed.UUCP> purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) writes:
> NO SHE DOESN"T!!!!!

When summarizing, summarize!  It seems to me that this discussion
is losing it's focus.  If I can remember back far enough, the original
title of this posting dealt with the commitment marriage partners make
as to it's permanence.

[ As an aside, I've shortened the subject line, trimmed the references
line to indicate where I picked up on the discussion (after I stopped
reading), and I'll try to stick to the the topic of commitment in
marriage in this article. ]

There is a very good reason why marriage partners vow to make their
marriage permanent:  children need the attention of their parents in
order to develop those traits which society acknowledges as valuable
and good.  A child's happiness, self esteem, trustworthiness, etc.
depend on that attention.  Both parents are responsible for providing
their children the opportunities for learning how to be "good."

Yes, the purpose of marriage is to provide companionship.  And marriage
is good even if no children are present.  But an important role of
the children is to help their parents, and one way they can help them
is to encourage them to make the effort to stay together so that they
can all provide each other with companionship.  Life is difficult enough
without trying to live through it alone.

I recognize that people make mistakes.  I also believe that people with
various degrees of differing personalities provide differing degrees of
"compatability."  In *most* cases it is possible and desirable for
marriage partners to overcome these differences (certainly more than
the 50% or so who manage to do so today).

My brother has been through a divorce and has since remarried.  We grew
up in a large, religious family which has managed to stay together over
the past 29 years, and our expectations of marriage are similar to what
we experienced in our parents' marriage.  My brother had known his
(first) new bride for two months when he proposed to her.  Because she
had medical difficulties with pregnancy, she had compensated by pursuing
a career in law enforcement.  They realized that because their goals
differed enough and that they each felt strongly enough about their own
developed goals that it was inadvisable to try to remain together.
They could have avoided this marriage if they had known each other better
before they were married.  The fact that they had no children contributed
to this decision.

My brother and his second wife just had their first child last week
(on the 6th).  Now he and his wife can have the kind of marriage that
they and their children deserve.

Now there two basic ways to do something wrong:  through ignorance and
through defiance.  But that's not within the scope of this article, is it?
--
Howard Johnson, Cyb Systems, Austin, TX, cyb-eng!howard@ut-sally.ARPA