[net.religion] Islam

lise@utcsstat.UUCP (Lise Manchester) (04/18/84)

Just wanted to point out that the concept of surrendering one's
self to God, which Jeff Sargent mentions from time to time, is
not unique to Christianity. The very word 'Islam' means
"submission to the will of God" and, as I understand it, a Muslim
seeks to surrender his or her own will to that of God.

heddaya@harvard.ARPA ( Solom) (07/20/85)

<<Also posted to net.politics, and net.followup>>

In the heat of the discussion of the Lebanon hostage crisis, several
accusations were directed to Islam as a whole.  Being a muslem, I would like
to respond to one of these accusations.  Maybe my response will help those who
want to better understand Muslems and Islam.

Mr. Joaquim Martillo (martillo@mit-athena.UUCP) charges that:

> Muslims as a matter of religious faith and practise consider themselves
> obligated to humiliate and degrade non-Muslims.

Imagine my surprise at reading that after all what I have been taught of my
religion (Islam) at home, at school, and at the mosque.  I was taught that
Islam is the religion of tolerance, that violence can only be condoned in
self-defense, and even then, God (=Allah in arabic) loves and rewards those
who forgive.

The rules given by the Koran (our holy book) and Sunna (prophet Mohammad's
sayings and actions) regarding treating non-muslems under muslem jurisdiction
are very clear and unambiguous: they should be allowed to worship freely;
their properties and religious structures are to remain untouched; but they
should pay a tax (called "Jiziah" in arabic) which is almost equivalent to the
tax paid by muslems ("Zakah").  The two standard principles in Islamic Law
("shari'a") that define the relation with non-muslems are:

1) Let them do what they believe in.  (literal translation of the arabic
   "etrukohom wa ma yadeenoon")
2) For them what is for us, and from them what is from us.  ("lahom ma lana,
   wa alayhom ma alayna")

Applying these principles, non-muslems are allowed to have their own laws in
marriage, divorce, and the like.  What they don't get to choose, though--and
have to follow Muslem law in--is the penal code (for crimes) and the laws
governing financial transactions.

The prophet Muhammad said:

* Protect my [contract with non-muslems].  (Muslem law defines the relation
  with non-muslems as a social contract)
* Whoever is unfair to a [non-muslem], or [taxes] him more than he can
  afford, then I will [argue against him on the day of judgement].

Moreover, Islam grants a special status to Christians and Jews (people of the
book), because Islam recognizes and acknowledges both religions as valid in
their own times and places.  You must see how highly the Koran speaks of
Jesus and Moses to understand that no devout muslem is going to hurt a
christian or jew just because of the latter's belief.  And if he does, then
he is simply violating the teachings of Islam as it stands documented.

Please, don't prematurely judge a major religion of the world, which is also
associated with a major civilization.  Also, observe that political groups
who are labeled as Muslem do not always operate in the name of Islam, or even
under its teachings.

The Barbaric Islam, as Mr. Martillo prefers to call it, has maintained and
developed the contributions of the ancient egyptian, greek, and persian
civilizations while Europe was in the dark ages!

				Abdelsalam Heddaya
				Arpa:	  heddaya@harvard.arpa
				Internet: heddaya@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
				UUCP:	  {seismo,ihnp4,...}!harvard!heddaya

From: heddaya (A. Heddaya - Solom)
To: amr%gvax@cornell.arpa, sweillam@washington.arpa, sab@washington.arpa,
        aff%duke.CSNET@csnet-relay.ARPA,
        zaky-a%osu-20%ohio-state.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa,
        hegazy-w%osu-20%ohio-state.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa,
        gheith-a%osu-20%ohio-state.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa, khaled@cit-sys.arpa,
        alberta!ahmed, shafei@mit-athena, ehrady@mit-athena.arpa,
        heddaya@harvard.arpa, alberta!rashad
Subject: Re: Islam (defense)

Salam,
	Here's my actual posting.  I did modify it based on the
comments I got.  You should be able to find it on net.politics within
a couple of days.  \Solom

Newsgroups: net.politics
Subject: Islam (long but informative)
Bcc: heddaya

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Yakim Martillo) (07/30/85)

>In the heat of the discussion of the Lebanon hostage crisis, several
>accusations were directed to Islam as a whole.  Being a muslem, I would like
>to respond to one of these accusations.  Maybe my response will help those who
>want to better understand Muslems and Islam.

>Mr. Joaquim Martillo (martillo@mit-athena.UUCP) charges that:

>> Muslims as a matter of religious faith and practise consider themselves
>> obligated to humiliate and degrade non-Muslims.

>Imagine my surprise at reading that after all what I have been taught of my
>religion (Islam) at home, at school, and at the mosque.  I was taught that
>Islam is the religion of tolerance, that violence can only be condoned in
>self-defense, and even then, God (=Allah in arabic) loves and rewards those
>who forgive.

What bull shit!  Tolerance  has never been considered  a virtue in the
major Western religions.  The concept of tolerance as  a virtue begins
with  the Enlightenment and  really  only comes  to full expression in
the middle 19th century in Western Europe.  To claim  Islam a religion
which   came into  being  in the  7th century  by  Christian reakoning
considers as a  virtue an  idea  which neither Europeans  nor  Muslims
hardly  even  thought about until   100 years  ago  is  an   insult to
intelligence.

>The rules given by the Koran (our holy book) and Sunna (prophet Mohammad's
>sayings and actions) regarding treating non-muslems under muslem jurisdiction
>are very clear and unambiguous: they should be allowed to worship freely;
>their properties and religious structures are to remain untouched; but they
>should pay a tax (called "Jiziah" in arabic) which is almost equivalent to the
>tax paid by muslems ("Zakah").

Actually, the  jizya   and the  kharaj  were  a  crushing burden which
wiped out  the non-muslim  peasantry almost everywhere  in the Islamic
world.  The  disappearance of the  non-muslim  peasantry  is an easily
verifiable fact.

The following is the relevant passage on the jizyah from the Qur'an:

Fight  against those  to whom the  Scriptures were given,  who believe
not in Allah nor in  the Last Day, who  forbid not what  Allah and His
apostle have forbidden, and follow not the true  faith, until they pay
the tribute out  of  hand and are  humbled (hatta yu`tu 'l-jizyata `an
yadin   wa-hum saghirum  is   somewhat obscure  --   I have translated
according to later Muslim understanding.)  Sura 9:29

The following is  from a  standard commentary  on the Qur'an by Mahmud
ibn `Umar al-Zamakshari (1075-1144).

The jizya shall be taken from them  with belittlement and humiliation.
He  [the dhimmi] shall come  in person,  walking not riding.   When he
pays, he  shall stand, while  the tax collector sits.   The  collector
shall seize him by the scruff of  the neck, shake  him, and say:  'Pay
the jizya!', and when  he pays it he shall  be slapped on  the nape of
the neck.

So what is  the  purpose of this   shit --   which my    parents  and
grandparents had to undergo?

From  the  Hanbali  jurist Ibn   al-Naqqah  (1400s) in  Belin,  "Fetwa
relatif  a la condition des  dhimmis et particulierement des chretiens
en pays  musulmans depuis l`etablissement  de l`Islam  jusqu`au milieu
du 8e  siecle de l'hegire," Journal  Asiatique 4th series,  19 (1852):
107-108 --  I  believe Heddaya can  find  this at Widener  or  at  the
Library which I believe is in the Semitics Museum building:

Perhaps in the end they will come to  believe in God and  His Prophet,
and thus be delivered from this shameful yoke.

Therefore, while Muslims are not obligated  to convert  by force, they
are obligated to annihilate   gradually the non-Muslim  communities by
humiliation and degradation.

No wonder  the  Copts  in  Egypt get rather upset  when  Sheikh  Hafiz
Salama calls for the reintroduction of the jizya.

>				 The two standard principles in Islamic Law
>("shari'a") that define the relation with non-muslems are:

This is pure ignorance.  The legal basis  of  the relationship between
Muslims  and  non-Muslims is   the pact  of   `Umar  which   gives the
non-Muslims permanent second-class  status and compels non-Muslims  to
abase themselves before Muslims.

>1) Let them do what they believe in.  (literal translation of the arabic
>   "etrukohom wa ma yadeenoon")
>2) For them what is for us, and from them what is from us.  ("lahom ma lana,
>   wa alayhom ma alayna")

>Applying these principles, non-muslems are allowed to have their own laws in
>marriage, divorce, and the like.  What they don't get to choose, though--and
>have to follow Muslem law in--is the penal code (for crimes) and the laws
>governing financial transactions.

Which is a fairly  large qualification since  Muslim courts invariably
accept  the testimony of   Muslims    and   reject  the testimony   of
non-Muslims.

>The prophet Muhammad said:

>* Protect my [contract with non-muslems].  (Muslem law defines the relation
>  with non-muslems as a social contract)

The Qur'an says (Sura 5:51):

O you who believe! Take  not the Jews and the  Christians as  friends.
They are friends to  one  another.  Whoever of  you  befriends them is
one of them.  Allah does not guide the people who do evil.

Sura 9:30:

The Jews say,  "Ezra is the son   of Allah,"  and  the Christians say,
"The  Messiah  is the son  of  Allah."   Thos are the   words of their
mouths, conforming  to  the   words of   the unbelievers  before them.
Allah attack them!  How perverse they are!

>* Whoever is unfair to a [non-muslem], or [taxes] him more than he can
>  afford, then I will [argue against him on the day of judgement].

The above quotation is from  a non-canonical (and  therefore of little
legal value) hadith (if I recognize it  properly).  I believe the full
context   can be  found   in Abu   Yusuf,  Kitab  al-Kharaj    (Cairo,
1382/1962-63) pp 122-25.  It has no isnad (chain of transmission).

>Moreover, Islam grants a special status to Christians and Jews (people of the
>book), because Islam recognizes and acknowledges both religions as valid in
>their own times and places.  You must see how highly the Koran speaks of
>Jesus and Moses to understand that no devout muslem is going to hurt a
>christian or jew just because of the latter's belief.  And if he does, then
>he is simply violating the teachings of Islam as it stands documented.

The  Qur'an frequently   states the  Christians and Jews   warped  and
distorted the teachings  which Jesus   and  Moses gave.   Such an idea
cannot help but inspire Muslim contempt for Christians and Jews.

>Please, don't prematurely judge a major religion of the  world, which is also
>associated with a major civilization. Also,  observe  that political groups
>who are labeled as Muslem do not always operate in the name of Islam, or even
>under its teachings.

After reading Heddaya's rather  ignorant statements about  Islam, I am
only more convinced that if  a Westerner  wants to learn about  Islam,
he should not  listen to Westernized  propagandists and apologists but
rather should  read and  listen to  men like the   Ayatollah Khomeini,
Sheikh `Umar Abd  el-Rahman, `Umar el-Talmassani,  Gad el-Hakk, Sheikh
Hafiz Salama who  are really  all  right  in the   mainstream of their
tradition.

In any case, even  if  Heddaya were writing  truthfully, claiming that
the Islamic attitude toward non-Muslims  can  be determined merely  be
reading  the Qur'an is   pure intellectual dishonesty.  Analagously, I
could prove on the  basis of the  USA  Constitution and Declaration of
Independence that Black slavery never existed in the USA.

>The Barbaric Islam, as Mr. Martillo prefers to call it, has maintained and
>developed the contributions of the ancient egyptian, greek, and persian
>civilizations while Europe was in the dark ages!

I do not deny that Muslims added a modicum to  the classical heritage.
I do believe their   contribution  is often exaggerated, but  this  is
irrelevant to my contention.

I  contend   that Islam qua    ideology assigns non-Muslims  permanent
second-class status and requires  the humiliation and   degradation of
non-Muslims.  This can be determined by studying  the  body of Islamic
commentary, jurisprudence, and   theology of  the   last  1300  years.
Further, the ideologicaly position   of non-Muslims has  been steadily
declining over at least the past millenium.  This is most apparent  in
the Hanbali  school of thought  which has tended  lately  to deny  the
legitimacy  of   the   dhimma.  Fortunately,   for   most of the  last
millenium, the  rulers  and their  dependent   jurists  have  taken  a
slightly more  lenient viewpoint  than the `ulama and the   non-Muslim
communities were able to  survive to the 19th  century when they could
get   protection    from  Europe.

Unfortunately, nowadays the ruling-elites in  most  Muslim nations are
almost totally Westernized and have lost both legitimacy  and the will
to  resist  the  `ulama's  increasing  demands  for power  which  have
basically made the ideology of  the `ulama equivalent  to the ideology
of Islam.

Several  have  argued   that   Muslims are  no  better  Muslims   than
Christians  are good   Christians.  Therefore, my arguments  would  be
irrelevant.   But the fundamental  ideology is important.  Because Jim
Crow  conflicted with  the  fundamental ideology  of American society,
Jim Crow died in the USA.  But in  Germany several hundred  years ago,
Martin Luther  said the synagogue should be  burned and  that the Jews
should be gathered and murdered.  And  the Germans  eventually carried
out these tasks.

Likewise    in Islam   the     fundamental ideology has  required  the
humiliation and  degradation  of non-Muslims.   Muslim attitude toward
non-Muslims cannot help but  be affected.  Consequently over the  past
millenium non-Muslims   have  been   subjected   to  ever   increasing
contempt, harassment  and persecution.   And the  Muslims  see nothing
wrong with this or like the Germans have refused  to  see it happening
(by the way you should not ask Muslim  whether  they treat non-Muslims
well -- that   is like  asking the Southern   slaveholder  whether his
slaves  were happy).     For this   reason,  until    Muslims  make  a
fundamental ideological  adjustment and concede that  they  just might
owe  non-Muslims  for  historical and   current  mistreatment, Muslims
cannot be  permitted  to  rule  countries   and must be   returned  to
colonial status until they get over Islam.

In the seventh century,  when   the   Muslims   took  the    Byzantine
territories,  I    am sure  that   my  ancestors who  lived  in  these
territories  were relieved.   The Byzantines were   scum.  Humiliation
and degradation and  permanent second-class-status  were  better  than
anything the Byzantines offered.  But I nowadays  do not compare Islam
with Byzantinism but rather with truth, justice and  the American way.
Just as Byzantinism   became detritus to  be  swept  away by  changing
circumstances.   Nowadays  Islam  is  the  detritus which  should   be
removed to garbage dump of history.

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (08/01/85)

> Nowadays  Islam  is  the  detritus which  should   be
> removed to garbage dump of history.

	How do you propose to do that?

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software

pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) (08/02/85)

One paragraph in Y. Martillo's article reads:

>Several  have  argued   that   Muslims are  no  better  Muslims   than
>Christians  are good   Christians.  Therefore, my arguments  would  be
>irrelevant.   But the fundamental  ideology is important.  Because Jim
>Crow  conflicted with  the  fundamental ideology  of American society,
>Jim Crow died in the USA.  But in  Germany several hundred  years ago,
>Martin Luther  said the synagogue should be  burned and  that the Jews
>should be gathered and murdered.  And  the Germans  eventually carried
>out these tasks.

I think it's important to note that "eventually" here means "after about
450 years".  I think Luther's attitude toward Jews was ugly.  But though
Luther's influence was strong during the Reformation, his suggestions for
the Jews were not really taken seriously.  I think this is mainly due
to the fact that Luther did not set himself up as an authority (like the
Pope).  He emphasised *sola scriptura* as the principle authority and
put the Scriptures themselves in the hands of the common people by translating
them into their language.

Your paragraph insinuates that the German persecution of the Jews was
a direct fulfillment of Luther's mandate.  I agree that "the fundamental
ideology is important."  But I think you are mistaken in including Luther's
attitude toward Jews as part of that.  I think it was on the fringe.  If
it wasn't why did it take so long for the tasks to be carried out?  Things
were different in Germany 450 years after Luther.  In particular, the Church's
attitude toward Scripture had deviated considerably from Luther's view.

Hitler did use Luther's opinion as part of his rallying call.  But the
thing that allowed him to get away with it was the change in context.
The "fundamental ideology" of the church (not to mention society) had changed
considerably since Luther's time.  I think that was what either allowed it
to accept the fringe as fundamental or made it powerless to oppose such
acceptance effectively.

Also, I think Luther's opinion played a relatively minor part with Hitler
compared to Nietzsche, for example (either directly, or indirectly through
men like Albert Camus and Jean Paul Sartre).  Also, where do you think
Hitler got his ideas about eugenics and social Darwinism?   Was that part
of Luther's fundemental ideology?

It is generally argued that the ideas of people like Nietzsche, Camus,
Sartre and Darwin were selectively applied or twisted by Hitler.  Indeed,
these men did, or probably would have, strongly opposed the Nazi way of
doing things.  No one (especially those sympathetic to the views of these men)
wants to admit that their ideas provided a significant influence for the
Nazis.  But the effects of ideas often go beyond the intent and foresight of
their progenitors.  Affixing blame is an irresistable temptation for many,
however.  And it is so much easier to cut through the complex web of influence
in history to draw simple lines of influence that suit the blamers purposes
better.  If the influence of these men on Nazism was not their intent, or
part of their "fundemental ideology", still less is it of Christianity.
Yet, the blamers must have a real devil and Christianity makes a nice one
in some circles.

I really doubt that Mr. Martillo has the intent that I just mentioned, but
simplistic, cause-effect statements like this one do have that cumulative,
subtile effect on others.  Where is the hate going to stop?
--

Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (08/04/85)

> Also, I think Luther's opinion played a relatively minor part with Hitler
> compared to Nietzsche, for example (either directly, or indirectly through
> men like Albert Camus and Jean Paul Sartre).
> It is generally argued that the ideas of people like Nietzsche, Camus,
> Sartre and Darwin were selectively applied or twisted by Hitler.  Indeed,
> these men did, or probably would have, strongly opposed the Nazi way of
> doing things.

	Nietzche wrote to his sister in 1887  . . .

	. . . You have committed one of the greatest stupidities--for
	yourself and for me!  Your association with an anti-Semitic
	cheif expresses a foreignness to my whole way of life which
	fills me again and again with meloncholy. . . . It is
	a matter of honor with me to be absolutely clean and
	unequivical in relation to anti-Semitism, namely *opposed*
	to it, as I am in my writings.  I have recently been
	persecuted with letters and *Anti-Semitic Correspondence
	Sheets.*  My disgust with this party (wich would like the
	benefit of my name only too well!) is as pronounced as
	possible, but the relation to Forster [Nietzche's sister's
	husband], as well as the afteraffects of my former publisher,
	the anti-Semitic Schmeitzer, always brings this disagreeable
	party back to the idea that I must belong to them after all . . .
	It arouses mistrust against my character, as if publicly
	I condemmed something which I favored secretly--and that
	I am unable to do anything against it, that the name
	Zarathustra is used in every *Anti-Semitic Correspondence
	Sheet*, has almost made me sick several times.

			The Portable Nietzche
			ed. Walter Kaufman
			p. 456-457

	The last thing Nietzche wrote was a letter to his friend
Overbeck:

	To friend Overbeck and wife.  Although you have so far
	demonstrated little faith in my ability to pay, I hope to
	yet demonstrate that I am someone who pays his debts--for
	example, to you, I am just having all anti-Semites shot.

			Dionysus

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software
109 Torrey Pine Terrace
Santa Cruz, Calif. 95060

jho@ihu1m.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (08/04/85)

In a recent article Yakim Martillo  described the persecution of
minorities under Arab/Islamic rule.  The forgotten Jewish refugees,
who fled from Arab persecution to Israel, provide a clear example
of what could happen to minorities under Arab rule in the 20th century.
To illustrate  my point, I am posting a letter sent to the Ann Arbor News
on 4/13/75 (with the permission of the author) by Aviva Mutchnick.
Aviva came to Israel as an infant refugee from Iraq.
This is her story:
                     ----------------

		REFUGEES FROM ARAB STATES

    My family can claim continuing residence in Bagdad, Iraq for nearly
2,500 years.  In all that time we were considered strangers, people in
exile.  We were the Jews of Israel taken into captivity by the Babylonians
some 600 years before the birth of Christ.

    The people of Bagdad have referred to their city as the "Tray of
Gold," but a popular Jewish lyric depicts Bagdad as a "Tray of Gold...
with a scorpion in it."  The Oriental Jews withstood many persecutions
and endured the periodic decimations of pogroms.

    My family recalls the pogrom of 1941 when a massacre of Iraqi Jews
followed the failure of the Arabs to oust out the British from an alliance
with Nazi Germany.  The rebels vented their rage on the Jewish Quarter.
Many dozens of Jewish lives were terminated.

    The situation of Iraqi Jews deteriorated when Israel was proclaimed
a sovereign state in 1948.  Even though Jews were considered second class
non citizens, they were not allowed to emigrate.  Those who attempted to
flee were caught and hanged in the public square.

    Iraqi Jews were finally allowed to depart in 1951, but were not
premitted to take any possessions except the clothing on their backs.
These hapless 125,000 victims were accepted by Israel with the full
realization the economic hardships would effect the fledgling nation.
Refugees were sheltered in tents and shacks.  Food stamps were employed
to distribute the limited quantities of food.  As a consequence, rationing
was instituted for the entire country in order to provide the Jewish
refugees from Arab states.

    My family, like many others with a large number of children, was
given a tent with canvas sleeping cots.  This was to be our home for
eight years.

    Pneumonia was common amongst the children as their meager clothing
provided unsuitable for the wet winter weather.  Makeshift barracks,
unheated, served as schools.  The low protein and high starch diet
lowered resistance to infection....

    Within two decades, the situation changed.  All refugee camps
disappeared as the former Oriental Jews were assimilated into the fabric
of the new Israeli society.  Problems remain, inequities occur, but all
Israelis are geared to sacrifice for the common good.

    Not all Jews were fortunate to leave Iraq of for that matter, Syria.
A small number maintained their protestations of loyalty to the Iraqi
governments.  Their fate has subsequently proved horrendous as they are
now captives of repressive governments.  Loyal, though they might claim
to be, saboteurs and the fifth columnists they have been declared.

    Many Jews were under house arrest for years, were condemned in
kangaroo courts for treason and sentenced to death.  How ludicrous the
charges, how awful the spectacle of their motionless bodies in the
hangmam's noose in the square of Bagdad....in the presence of jubilant
and cheering Iraqi Arabs.

    In Israel the refugees from Arab States now control their own fate.
They are no longer a repressed minority subject to the excesses of
tyrannical Arab governments.

    How ironic that Arab refugees from Israel were placed in detention
camps by there brethren.  How regrettable that they were denied the basic
human rights of other Arab citizens in the host countries.

    Israel has succeeded to well with her refugees as she responded out
of need and deep love.  The ingathering of repressed Jews continues.

					Aviva Mutchnick
			----------------
--
Yosi Hoshen, AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, Illinois,  Mail: ihnp4!ihu1m!jho

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/06/85)

> Hitler did use Luther's opinion as part of his rallying call.  ...
>
> I think Luther's opinion played a relatively minor part with Hitler
> compared to Nietzsche, for example (either directly, or indirectly through
> men like Albert Camus and Jean Paul Sartre).  Also, where do you think
> Hitler got his ideas about eugenics and social Darwinism?   Was that part
> of Luther's fundemental ideology?
>
> It is generally argued that the ideas of people like Nietzsche, Camus,
> Sartre and Darwin were selectively applied or twisted by Hitler.  Indeed,
> these men did, or probably would have, strongly opposed the Nazi way of
> doing things.  No one (especially those sympathetic to the views of these men)
> wants to admit that their ideas provided a significant influence for the
> Nazis.  But the effects of ideas often go beyond the intent and foresight of
> their progenitors. [DUBUC]

Thus, by the same reasoning, we should belittle mathematics and science,
because THEIR usage leads to heinous weapons in the hands of people who
believe in notions like nationalistic superiority, race hatred, etc.
Of course, those other notions were just a minor influence on the
warmongers.  Clearly it was the mathematics and science that was the most
evil part of their thinking.

> If the influence of these men on Nazism was not their intent, or
> part of their "fundemental ideology", still less is it of Christianity.

Was this Martin Luther person you quoted, who suggested the burning of
the synagogues, doing so out of his "fundamental ideology", and that of
today's Christians (many of whom use the name Lutheran [???])?

> Yet, the blamers must have a real devil and Christianity makes a nice one
> in some circles.

Given what Mr. Luther himself said, I can see why.  Can you explain why
the other side of the coin might be presented similarly as a devil?
--
"to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day
 to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (08/07/85)

Why are Camus & Sartre mentioned as sources of nazi ideology or ideas
for hitler's writings or speeches?  Simple chronology makes it nearly
impossible.

hitler's "My Struggle" (Mein Kampf) was published in the 1920s; nazi
ideology was fully formed by the time they assumed power.  Sartre
studied with Heidegger in 1938 for a year or so.  Nearly all Sartre's
& Camus' writings date from the 1940s on.  Only some unpolitical
philosophical essays (Sartre) & juvenilia & reviews (Camus) were
written in the 1930s.

Maybe Heidegger is the source intended: an ex-Jesuit whose works on
metaphysics are seminal for 20th century existentialism, Martin Heidegger
joined the nazi party in 1933 and was nazi rector of the University
of Freiburg from 1933-1936.  But Heidegger's abstruse & obscure essays
supply no political ideas; only his nazi party affiliation & public
pronouncements as a nazi official could have provided any fodder for
hitler.

						Ron Rizzo

pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) (08/08/85)

>Why are Camus & Sartre mentioned as sources of nazi ideology or ideas
>for hitler's writings or speeches?  Simple chronology makes it nearly
>impossible.

>hitler's "My Struggle" (Mein Kampf) was published in the 1920s; nazi
>ideology was fully formed by the time they assumed power.  Sartre
>studied with Heidegger in 1938 for a year or so.  Nearly all Sartre's
>& Camus' writings date from the 1940s on.  Only some unpolitical
>philosophical essays (Sartre) & juvenilia & reviews (Camus) were
>written in the 1930s.

>						Ron Rizzo

I mentioned Nietzsche as the primary influence.  Camus and Sartre were
secondary.  It's true that their part as sources is questionable.  But
the matter of influence isn't only a question of primary sources.  There
is also the aspect of support: what provided fuel for the fire once
it has started or reflected conditions of the time that allowed Nazi
ideology to bloom and hold sway?  Hitler killed himself in April 1945.
I would mark that as the end of the Third Reich.

The reason I mentioned Camus and Sartre was because of Nietzsche's influence
on them and that some of their philosophical ideas about the meaninglessness,
purposelessness and futility of life were in print during the late 30's and
early 40's (although they weren't translated into english until after wwII).
The extent of help these ideas gave the Nazi's may be debated, but their
usefullness as a reflection of the intellectual mood of the times is on
more solid ground, I think.  Ideas don't have to be expressly political
to influence political action.  That's part of the "fundamental ideology"
thing that Mr. Martillo was talking about.

Anyway, some of the works that were "floating around" were:

Camus:
	L'etranger (The Stranger) 1942
	Le myth de Sisyphe   (The Myth of Sysphus [sp?]) 1943
	Caligula (a play, wasn't published until 1945 but was
	    written by Camus in 1938)

Sartre:
	La Nausee  (Nausea) 1938
	L'Etre et le neant  (Being and Nothingness) 1943

It's easy to see where the view of humanity reflected in these works
could justify (apart from the authors intentions) the idea that human
life is of no more significance than inanimate matter.  If you believe
that, then how you treat humans is left up to asthetics.  For folks like
Hitler and Mengele that apparently wasn't as formidable an obstruction
as it was for Camus and Sartre themselves.

--

Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (08/09/85)

In article <5712@cbscc.UUCP> pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) writes:

>The reason I mentioned Camus and Sartre was because of Nietzsche's influence
>on them and that some of their philosophical ideas about the meaninglessness,
>purposelessness and futility of life were in print during the late 30's and
>early 40's (although they weren't translated into english until after wwII).
>The extent of help these ideas gave the Nazi's may be debated, but their
>usefullness as a reflection of the intellectual mood of the times is on
>more solid ground, I think.  Ideas don't have to be expressly political
>to influence political action.
>It's easy to see where the view of humanity reflected in these works
>could justify (apart from the authors intentions) the idea that human
>life is of no more significance than inanimate matter.

This is so far out of whack that it hardly merits a response, but
such a slur on these two great writers should be answered.  The views
expressed above recall the attitude of 18th century traditionalists
toward Voltaire, who was blamed for the evils of the French
Revolution.

Persons who believe that life is meaningless and futile do not expend
great energies in political activism and in the writing of literary
and philosophical works, as these two men did.  Please read *The
Plague* (*La Peste* in French) if you think that Camus's writings
reflect the idea that human life is insignificant and pointless.

Sartre was a moralist above all.  The concepts of "bad faith" and
moral responsibility play a major role in his philosophical works,
and he gave his passionate support to many political causes, which
often brought him into conflict with established institutions.  In
order to avoid too close an identification with the powers that be he
rejected membership in the French Academy, the Legion d'Honneur, and
the Nobel Prize.  For a while he was a supporter (but not a member)
of the French Communist Party, but he broke with it later over
Hungary, Algeria, and the events of May 1968, after which he became
something of a Maoist/libertarian (?).  For his views on
anti-Semitism see his 1948 work *Portrait of an Anti-Semite*, a
psychological study.  His funeral in 1980 was attended by tens of
thousands of people, while tributes came in from all over the world.
Why?  Because he revealed the meaninglessness of life?  I doubt it.

Whatever your opinion of the political and philosophical views of
Camus and Sartre, the idea of linking them in any way with the Third
Reich is totally absurd.

Some of the stuff I read in net.politics these days is just amazin'.
Doesn't anyone read books anymore?

Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (08/12/85)

In article <539@scc.UUCP> steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:

>> Also, I think Luther's opinion played a relatively minor part with Hitler
>> compared to Nietzsche, for example (either directly, or indirectly through
>> men like Albert Camus and Jean Paul Sartre).
>> It is generally argued that the ideas of people like Nietzsche, Camus,
>> Sartre and Darwin were selectively applied or twisted by Hitler.  Indeed,
>> these men did, or probably would have, strongly opposed the Nazi way of
>> doing things.
>
>	Nietzche wrote to his sister in 1887  . . .

And then comes lots of liberalish Nietzsche quotes, against Anti-Semitism,
German nationalism, etc..  None of these quotes can wipe away that there
were enough ambiguities in Nietzsche about supermen and power and dumb
cowlike masses to permit fascists to easily abuse Nietzsche whenever they
found it convenient.

How did Camus and Sartre get on a list of people influencing Hitler?

Tony Wuersch
{amd,amdcad}!cae780!ubvax!tonyw

azam@ihlpm.UUCP (Azam) (08/15/85)

   THE PROPHET MOHAMMED'S (PEACE BE UPON HIM) LAST SERMON

THIS SERMON WAS DELIVERED ON THE NINTH DAY OF DHUL HIJARAH 10 A.H.
IN THE "URANAH VALLEY OF MOUNT ARAFAT:

"O PEOPLE LEND ME AN ATTENTIVE EAR, FOR I KNOW NOT WHETHER, AFTER
 THIS YEAR, I SHALL EVER BE AMONGST YOU AGAIN. THEREFORE LISTEN TO
 WHAT I AM SAYING VERY CAREFULLY AND TAKE THESE WORDS TO THOSE WHO
 COULD NOT BE PRESENT HERE TODAY.

 O PEOPLE, JUST AS YOU REGARD THIS MONTH, THIS DAY, THIS CITY AS
 SACRED, SO REGARD THE LIFE AND PROPERTY OF EVERY MUSLIM AS A SACRED
 TRUST. RETURN THE GOODS ENTRUSTED TO YOU TO THEIR RIGHTFUL OWNERS.
 HURT NO ONE SO THAT NO ONE MAY HURT YOU. REMEMBER THAT YOU WILL
 INDEED MEET YOUR LORD AND THAT HE WILL INDEED RECKON YOUR DEEDS.
 ALLAH HAS FORBIDDEN YOU TO TAKE USURY (INTEREST), THEREFORE ALL
 INTEREST OBLIGATIONS SHALL HENCEFORTH BE WAIVED.

 BEWARE OF SATAN, FOR THE SAFETY OF YOUR RELIGION. HE HAS LOST ALL
 HOPE THAT HE WILL EVER BE ABLE TO LEAD YOU ASTRAY IN BIG THINGS,
 SO BEWARE IN FOLLOWING HIM IN SMALL THINGS.

 O PEOPLE, IT IS TRUE THAT YOU HAVE CERTAIN RIGHTS WITH REGARDS TO YOUR
 WOMEN, BUT THEY ALSO HAVE CERTAIN RIGHTS OVER YOU. IF THEY ABIDE BY
 YOUR RIGHT THEN TO THEM BELONGS THE RIGHT TO BE FED AND CLOTHED IN
 KINDNESS. DO TREAT YOUR WOMEN WELL AND BE KIND TO THEM FOR THEY ARE
 YOUR COMMITTED HELPERS. AND IT IS YOUR RIGHT THAT THEY DO NOT MAKE
 FRIENDS WITH ANY ONE OF WHOM YOU DO NOT APPROVE AS WELL AS NEVER TO
 COMMIT ADULTERY.

 O PEOPLE LISTEN TO ME IN EARNEST, WORSHIP ALLAH, SAY YOUR FIVE DAILY
 PRAYERS, FAST DURING THE MONTH OF RAMADAN, AND GIVE YOUR WEALTH IN
 ZAKAT.  PERFORM HAJ IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO. YOU KNOW THAT EVERY MUSLIM
 IS THE BROTHER OF ANOTHER MUSLIM. YOU ARE ALL EQUAL. NOBODY HAS
 SUPERIORITY OVER OTHER EXCEPT BY PIETY AND GOOD ACTION.

 REMEMBER ONE DAY YOU WILL APPEAR BEFORE ALLAH AND ANSWER FOR YOUR DEEDS.
 SO BEWARE, DO NOT STRAY FROM THE PATH OF RIGHTEOUSNESS AFTER I AM GONE.

 O PEOPLE, NO PROPHET OR APOSTLE WILL COME AFTER ME AND NO NEW FAITH
 WILL BE BORN.  REASON WELL, THEREFORE, O PEOPLE, AND UNDERSTAND MY
 WORDS WHICH I CONVEY TO YOU.  I LEAVE BEHIND ME TWO THINGS, THE QURAN
 AND MY EXAMPLE THE SUNNAH AND IF YOU FOLLOW THESE YOU WILL NEVER GO
 ASTRAY.

 ALL THOSE WHO LISTEN TO ME SHALL PASS ON MY WORDS TO OTHERS AND THOSE
 TO OTHERS AGAIN, AND MAY THE LAST ONES UNDERSTAND MY WORDS BETTER
 THAN THOSE WHO LISTEN TO ME DIRECTLY. BE MY WITNESS O ALLAH, THAT I
 CONVEY MY MESSAGE TO YOUR PEOPLE."

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (08/15/85)

Sartre & Camus were active in the anti-nazi resistance.  Sartre in his
opinions & philosophical views was a rigorous moralist.  It's possible
to make a case that "existentialism" as exemplified by Sartre, Camus &
others is the continuation of European humanism.  At any rate, it's
bizarre to attribute any atmosphere of inhumanity to these writers in
particular.

Nietzsche influenced an entire generation or two, including people of
all political orientations: eg, Hannah Arendt, the liberal "humanist"
historian of totalitarianism, Reinhold Niebuhr, one of the most impor-
tant Protestant theologians of this century, etc.

Paul Dubuc's claims make no sense in the light of even a rudimentary
knowledge of 20th century cultural history.

					Regards,
					Ron Rizzo