[net.religion] Secular humanism banned in schools that receive Federal aid!

jj@alice.UUCP (08/08/85)

An news story today reports that Orin Hatch, R-Utah, managed to push
through a rider to an educational bill a while ago that required schools
who receive educational funds from the US Government to "not teach
any subject matter of secular humanism".

Isaac Asimov and others in a NY group whose title includes
"secular humanism" have filed suit in federal court, charging
an abridgement of the first amendment.

It should be interesting!
--
TEDDY BEARS MAY BECOME EXTINCT! HELP AN ENDANGERED SPECIES!
"It was great when it all began, ..."

(ihnp4/allegra)!alice!jj

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (08/13/85)

In article <4121@alice.UUCP> jj@alice.UUCP writes:

>An news story today reports that Orin Hatch, R-Utah, managed to push
>through a rider to an educational bill a while ago that required schools
>who receive educational funds from the US Government to "not teach
>any subject matter of secular humanism".

The first problem is going to be to define the unique subject matter
of secular humanism (or is that secular dialectical humanism.)  This
could be in the courts for a while....

>Isaac Asimov and others in a NY group whose title includes
>"secular humanism" have filed suit in federal court, charging
>an abridgement of the first amendment.

I agree, a strange response.  I'm still not sure what secular humanists
preach.  They tell me I are one, but that doesn't help...

>TEDDY BEARS MAY BECOME EXTINCT! HELP AN ENDANGERED SPECIES!

Only if it doesn't abridge their first amendment rights...
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

tos@psc70.UUCP (Dr.Schlesinger) (08/14/85)

   As the fundamentalist Christians are trying to assert that the
current teaching of science in most schools rests on certain
assumptions which can also be labelled as "beliefs" they try to tag
the normal teaching of science (especially evolutionary theory!!) in
such a way (to wit "secular humanism") that some will be deluded into
assuming that it's just a question of giving "equal time" to two
different beliefs, and not between science and religion.

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (08/15/85)

>I agree, a strange response.  I'm still not sure what secular humanists
>preach.  They tell me I are one, but that doesn't help...

(Resist the grammar flame)

I may be a secular humanist, I've been told that I am one.  I basically
state that we (men and women) are in control of our own lives, and
are not susceptible to an outside agent ("God" to many).
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"If she doesn't scream, the wedding can take place!" Doctor
"Don't I have a say in the matter?" female companion
"Be quiet" Doctor
Which companion, what story?