[net.religion] Falwell, South Africa, Homosexuality, and divestiture.

alan@sun.uucp (Alan Marr, Sun Graphics) (08/28/85)

Someone else wrote:
>  I've heard Jerry Falwell publicly disapproving of apartheid. What
>  he  was  talking about was the campaign in favor of reinvestment.
>  While  practically  all  blacks  in  South  Africa  are   against
>  apartheid, a lot of them are against divestment as well.

1.
A London newspaper this week or last found in a poll of the
blacks in South Africa that over 50 % (something like 57 %) were
for some form of economic boycott such as divestiture.

2.
"Interesting how Jerry Falwell apologizes for racists and is
against homosexuality."   (Not the exact words),  Larry King,
August 28, 1985.

3.
South Africa has suspended trading on its stock exchanges
because of the dramatic fall of the S.A. Rand from 42 cents to
35 cents in one day.  They will reopen Monday, Sept. 2.  The BBC
attributed the decline to the outflow of capital, and to rumours
of a strike in the mines on Sunday.

4.
The US government (State department, I think) scolded the South
African government for imprisoning the churchman who was going
to lead the March Wed. to the prison where Nelson Mandella is
imprisoned.  They said that the arrest leads only to greater
tension and they questioned the effectiveness of 6 weeks of
emergency decrees.

5.
In my opinion, Jerry Falwell doesn't have a clue about the real
situation in South Africa, or have enough contact with ordinary
people there (not hand-picked for him to visit), or have enough
self-control to avoid insulting the churchmen who are showing
real compassion.  His whole attitude and his very statements are
examples of knee-jerk reactions.  He is generating more heat
than light.

The Republic of South Africa, (as represented by the whites) is
loosing their grip faster than I expected.  For the moment that
is.  Expect them to get a grip on the situation momentarily.
Whether that will be the open handshake of negotiation or the
fist in the iron glove, only time will tell.

---
{ucbvax,decwrl}!sun!alan

"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is."  Noel Coward

kurtzman@uscvax.UUCP (Stephen Kurtzman) (08/31/85)

> Someone wrote:
> >  In yesterday's newspaper it was reported that Jerry Falwell, leader
> >  of the Moral Majority, met with Botha.  Afterwards, he publicly
> >  promised to start a $1 million media campaign in favor of
> >  the South African government's current policy.
>
> Someone else wrote:
> >  I've heard Jerry Falwell publicly disapproving of apartheid. What
> >  he  was  talking about was the campaign in favor of reinvestment.
> >  While  practically  all  blacks  in  South  Africa  are   against
> >  apartheid, a lot of them are against divestment as well.
>

> 1.
> A London newspaper this week or last found in a poll of the
> blacks in South Africa that over 50 % (something like 57 %) were
> for some form of economic boycott such as divestiture.
>
> 2.
> "Interesting how Jerry Falwell apologizes for racists and is
> against homosexuality."   (Not the exact words),  Larry King,
> August 28, 1985.
>
> 3.
> South Africa has suspended trading on its stock exchanges
> because of the dramatic fall of the S.A. Rand from 42 cents to
> 35 cents in one day.  They will reopen Monday, Sept. 2.  The BBC
> attributed the decline to the outflow of capital, and to rumours
> of a strike in the mines on Sunday.
>
> 4.
> The US government (State department, I think) scolded the South
> African government for imprisoning the churchman who was going
> to lead the March Wed. to the prison where Nelson Mandella is
> imprisoned.  They said that the arrest leads only to greater
> tension and they questioned the effectiveness of 6 weeks of
> emergency decrees.
>
> 5.
> In my opinion, Jerry Falwell doesn't have a clue about the real
> situation in South Africa, or have enough contact with ordinary
> people there (not hand-picked for him to visit), or have enough
> self-control to avoid insulting the churchmen who are showing
> real compassion.  His whole attitude and his very statements are
> examples of knee-jerk reactions.  He is generating more heat
> than light.
>
> The Republic of South Africa, (as represented by the whites) is
> loosing their grip faster than I expected.  For the moment that
> is.  Expect them to get a grip on the situation momentarily.
> Whether that will be the open handshake of negotiation or the
> fist in the iron glove, only time will tell.
>

> ---
> {ucbvax,decwrl}!sun!alan
>
> "Extraordinary how potent cheap music is."  Noel Coward

And, of course, the other day Reagan denied that South Africa is segregated.
Apparently the man does not even know what his own state department is saying
since he keeps apologizing for South Africa and denying facts about oppression.
The worst thing about Reagan's refusal to either admit or see the truth is that
he is enjoying as high an approval rating today as he has at anytime during
his administration. Maybe the moral majority is a majority after all - too
bad it isn't moral.

bennet@gymble.UUCP (Tom Bennet) (08/31/85)

>From alan@sun.uucp (Alan Marr, Sun Graphics) Wed Aug 28 04:25:14 1985
>Subject: Falwell, South Africa, Homosexuality, and divestiture.
>
>5.
>In my opinion, Jerry Falwell doesn't have a clue about the real
>situation in South Africa, or have enough contact with ordinary
>people there (not hand-picked for him to visit), or have enough
>self-control to avoid insulting the churchmen who are showing
>real compassion.  His whole attitude and his very statements are
>examples of knee-jerk reactions.  He is generating more heat
>than light.
>
>---
>{ucbvax,decwrl}!sun!alan

By way of information, Falwell was interviewed on CBS News Nightwatch, I
believe it was the same day he announced his ad campaign opposing
disinvestment.  He said that during his trip to SA, he had the use of a car and
the freedom to travel where he wished.  He reported interviews with local
officials who are black and elected by blacks (township level I think, but it
may have been within one of the "homelands") who reported great fear of
disinvestment due to job loss.  (He named names, but unfortunatly I don't
recall any of them.)

I think that Falwell's idea to travel around SA and talk to black leaders there
is a good one, and wish someone with a little more credibility in the public
mind would do so.  It seems that most of the time, the only opinion we hear
from black SA is that of Rev. Tutu.  He's a fine man, but he seems to have
been chosen mostly by the Nobel committee and the Western media, neither of
whom exactly qualify as black South Africans.  In any case, I'm certain that
all blacks in SA do not think exactly like Tutu, and it would be nice to hear
some other voices as well.
"That we have made a hero of Howard Hughes tells us ... that the secret point
of money and power in America is neither the things that money can buy nor
power for power's sake ..., but absolute personal freedom, mobility, privacy."
						-- Joan Didion
Tom Bennet @ U of MD Comp Sci Dept    |   ..!ihnp4!seismo!umcp-cs!gymble!bennet

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (09/09/85)

The Bible says that Jesus said "Judge not...", so when Falwell called
Tutu a "phony" he wasn't following his own religion.