[net.religion] Damager? Let's Debug It!

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (09/10/85)

<damager god>  Do it, line eater!

Please note: This article is by a guest on /frog/wjr's account.
Please flame STella Calvert if you've got problems with what follows.
Send mail via wjr, but don't blame him for anything but believing in
free speech.

In article <311@pyuxn.UUCP> pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman)
writes:

>The possibility of an evil God is not only present,
>it is much more likely than no God or good God scenarios, as supported
>by the evidence of the world around you.

Paul, I came late to this discussion, so if there are articles you think
would give me a better understanding of your views, send 'em, please.  But as
I understand it, you feel evidence from abcessed teeth to zoophobia suggests
that if there is a general organizing device cranking the world, then
he/she/it/they is/are a malign thug.  In some moods, I agree.

However, there's another possibility.  Belief in something increases the
likelihood of observing it.  When people believed in unicorns, they were more
frequently sighted.  I do not believe in unicorns.  Therefore, when Ringling
Bros., et al., put one on TV, I observed a deformed (or perhaps just
mutant) goat.

I suspect from this principle (What the thinker thinks, the prover proves)
that sentients create god in their own image.  A group of slaves leaving
Egypt may have grounds to be paranoid, since the folks that have been holding
them captive are likely to object to the departure of their valuable
human property.  The slaves therefore project their view of the world, and
observe a god that is suspicious, proud, and violently opposed to the
enemies of the people.  Whether this general organizing device has "reality"
(whatever that means) is damn near irrelevant -- the consensus belief of the
god's followers will set up self-fulfilling behavior and interpretation.
If there is an entity created by their beliefs, so much the worse (or
maybe, someday, better).

OK.  That's the part of this that I believe all the time, unless my blood
sugar or other chemical balance gets munged.  Now, on to a hypothesis that I
play with sometimes, but can't design an experiment to test.  Suppose that
intense belief (whorship if you like -- and I LOVE the spelling) creates a
god, gives it some sort of reality.  Suppose this god is shaped by the
aggregate beliefs of all sentients.  So long as we lend our energy and our
beliefs to a world where poor folks' abcesses go untreated, nuclear
terraforming devices are used as weapons, and coercion excites a response
other than immediate negative reinforcement by all adjacent sentients, the
god (general organizing device, remember -- I make no claims for the Godhood
of this god) will be nasty, brutish, and short (of temper).

God is not necessarily a malign thug -- but could it be an incompletely
debugged system?

And man, IF this were true (I have no data and no demonstrable opinion)
we're all on the committee.  I don't feel responsible for
what I see as your unhappiness -- I regret it, but it's none of my
damn business.  However, I AM writing to you, and posting it to the
net.  Why?

Suppose I'm correct in this hypothesis -- please don't believe, just
suppose.  Then your belief in Our Thuggee gives that evil scum
reality.  Maybe only in your world, but possibly in mine too.  When
I'm not believing in this, my only reason for wanting to talk to you
about my point of view is that I've been happier since I discovered this
possible resolution to the "thug".  But when I believe that just might
be how god works, well, I need all the help I can get to counteract
the energy provided by people who think that god created AIDS to kill
people who break one of his alleged laws, that killing the heathen is
an act of piety, etc.

It's like free will.  If there is no free will, and I perceive and act
as if there is, I haven't lost anything (well, I've been wrong, but
who can avoid that -- especially if they were determined :-)to be
wrong).  But if there is free will (a discussion I choose to avoid for
now, SO LET ME), and I sit on my responsibility assuming there's nothing I can
do, I have missed the opportunity to shape my life as I prefer it.  So,
in the absence of evidence one way or the other, whether there is really
free will or a thermoplastic god is doesn't seem an important question.  As
long as I act as if I had free will and the general organizing device is
programmable, I've covered my ass.

Besides -- the idea that this might be true makes me happier than I
otherwise would be.  If Paul's view of the Thug is correct, my attitude has
got to grate the Evil One, because he (sorry guys, but we don't have a
convenient neuter personal pronoun yet -- and I hope it does have
testicles if it exists!) can't touch me until that hypothetical afterlife.

And Paul, if god is the kind of scum you describe, I'll see you at the
foot of his throne -- I'll be carrying a bomb, or hoping for one kick.
Be there!

				STella Calvert
				(via ...!decvax!frog!wjr)

P.S.  I swiped some of this from Robert A. Wilson's book, _Prometheus
Rising_, but don't blame him either.

		Every man and every woman is a star.

General Obligatory Disclaimer:  I am a guest on frog.  I do not speak for
CRDS, wjr, the general organizing device, or anyone other than the
point of view presently doing business as STella Calvert.