[net.religion] Sexism and Religion

In article <547@k.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA> tim@k.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA (Tim Maroney) writes:

>None of the monotheistic religions are sexually egalitarian.  Judaism
>incorporates many discriminatory commandments and temple practices.
>Christianity also incorporates discriminatory temple practices and has
>historically been very sexist.  I don't see Moslems as being qualitatively
>different from Jews or Christians in this respect.

Considering that a number of christian denominations have actively promoted
ordination of female clergy, and justified doing so theologically, I don't
see how there is any justification for this monolithic evaluation of
christianity.  There are so few values held in common by the various
christian sects and denominations, in fact, that ANY blanket statement is
probably false.

Charley Wingate

tim@k.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (09/21/85)

> From mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) Thu Sep 19 08:39:33 1985
> In article <547@k.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA> tim@k.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA (Tim Maroney)
> writes:
>
> >None of the monotheistic religions are sexually egalitarian.  Judaism
> >incorporates many discriminatory commandments and temple practices.
> >Christianity also incorporates discriminatory temple practices and has
> >historically been very sexist.  I don't see Moslems as being qualitatively
> >different from Jews or Christians in this respect.
>
> Considering that a number of christian denominations have actively promoted
> ordination of female clergy, and justified doing so theologically, I don't
> see how there is any justification for this monolithic evaluation of
> christianity.  There are so few values held in common by the various
> christian sects and denominations, in fact, that ANY blanket statement is
> probably false.

In a letter to Time magazine, published in the issue of 23 Sept 85, Nizar
Hamdoon, the Iraqi Ambassador to the U.S., states:

"I was surprised to read the unfair and misleading information on Islam in
your story "Sex and the Singular Imam" [WORLD, July 29].  Islam has never
put any stipulations on women being subjected to men except that they be
show respect.  Muslim women have entered every walk of life.  They are
politicians, fighters and poets, sharing with men almost all social duties
in addition to raising their children.  There are numerous examples cited in
the Holy Koran and the hadith of women and their significant role in society
and the family.  The Prophet Muammad himself was a father and a husband who
cherished and respected his relationship to women.  Indeed, the first
believer in his message was his wife Khdija, who stood beside him from the
first moment."

I have also heard Jews deny that there is any sexism involved in their laws
and temple practices, such as shutting up all the women in the back of the
synagogue behind a curtain.

Yet the fact is that in Jewish, Moslem, and Christian societies, women have
almost always been treated as inferiors, and in the organized religions have
not been granted authority in any way commensurate with that of men.  To
deny this is either to lie or to deliberately blind oneself to fact.  Things
are changing in all three religions during this century; for instance the
move (mentioned by Wingate) to allow women to speak in church in a few
Christian churches, despite the instructions in the letters of Paul.  If one
is to blame Islam for its centuries of oppression of women, then one must
also blame Judaism and Christianity for the precisely similar phenomena in
their religions and societies.  Letting just one, or even two, off the hook
and leaving the other to hang is nothing more than a hypocritical double
standard.  I am not sure whether Wingate meant only to defend his religion,
or to leave the accusations about Islam intact, but I am sure many took his
message as an argument in favor of the idea that Christians are somehow less
culpable for the sexism of their religion than Moslems are for the sexism of
theirs.  This is false; all are equally culpable.
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University, Networking
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

In article <560@k.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA> tim@k.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA (Tim Maroney) writes:

>> From mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) Thu Sep 19 08:39:33 1985

>> In article <547@k.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA> tim@k.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA (Tim Maroney)
>> writes:

>>>None of the monotheistic religions are sexually egalitarian.  Judaism
>>>incorporates many discriminatory commandments and temple practices.
>>>Christianity also incorporates discriminatory temple practices and has
>>>historically been very sexist.  I don't see Moslems as being qualitatively
>>>different from Jews or Christians in this respect.

>> Considering that a number of christian denominations have actively promoted
>> ordination of female clergy, and justified doing so theologically, I don't
>> see how there is any justification for this monolithic evaluation of
>> christianity.  There are so few values held in common by the various
>> christian sects and denominations, in fact, that ANY blanket statement is
>> probably false.

>Yet the fact is that in Jewish, Moslem, and Christian societies, women have
>almost always been treated as inferiors, and in the organized religions have
>not been granted authority in any way commensurate with that of men.  To
>deny this is either to lie or to deliberately blind oneself to fact.  Things
>are changing in all three religions during this century; for instance the
>move (mentioned by Wingate) to allow women to speak in church in a few
>Christian churches, despite the instructions in the letters of Paul.  If one
>is to blame Islam for its centuries of oppression of women, then one must
>also blame Judaism and Christianity for the precisely similar phenomena in
>their religions and societies.  Letting just one, or even two, off the hook
>and leaving the other to hang is nothing more than a hypocritical double
>standard.  I am not sure whether Wingate meant only to defend his religion,
>or to leave the accusations about Islam intact, but I am sure many took his
>message as an argument in favor of the idea that Christians are somehow less
>culpable for the sexism of their religion than Moslems are for the sexism of
>theirs.  This is false; all are equally culpable.

First, let me say that I intended no comment about either Islam or Judaism;
in the former case, my ignorance of theology is total, and in the latter
case, there appears to my eye to be similar diversity of views.  I chose to
tak about the Episcopal Church because it is the one I know best; similar
movements are taking place in other Protestant denominations.

Let us consider Paul's letters to the ROmans and to the Corinthians (since
these are essentially the only scriptural source of justification for
suppessing women's voice in the church).  With the advent of less
literal-minded examination of the moral implications of scripture, many
churches have decided that Paul's writings must be read in light of the
social situation of Paul's day, where the place of women was considerably
more restricted ithan it is now.  When a woman can run for the vice
presidency, and be taken seriously, the chruch believes that there is no
reason why a woman cannot be a bishop, and be taken seriously.

Criticising current religions on the basis of their ancestors is, I would
submit, a dubious thing.  Every religion or philosophy that has enjoyed
significant popularity and power has been "adopted" at times by the
unscrupulous, the destructive, and the greedy.  It provides excellent cover
for them.  The culture surrounding the religion, which is an important input
into the moral decisions made within the religion, also has changed a great
deal.  Fifty or a hundred years ago, when the majority of Americans in towns
actually did attend church, blue laws may have made some sense.  But if the
USA was ever a "Christian" nation, it certainly isn't now.  Many
denominations have had to re-think their sexual morality.

It's also not clear that monotheism has anything to do with it.  Suppression
of women is widespread in polytheisms too, and even in societies where
religion is not formalized at all.  Within the various monotheistic
religions, denominations, and sects, there is plenty of dissent about the
place of women.  So it is unfair, and wrong, to characterize monotheism as
being monolithically opressive of women.

Charley Wingate

berger@aecom.UUCP (Mitchell Berger) (09/26/85)

> I have also heard Jews deny that there is any sexism involved in their laws
> and temple practices, such as shutting up all the women in the back of the
> synagogue behind a curtain.

If anything, it's a put down to men, their attention spans, and self
control over their libidos.
                                   -micha

PS- Am I paranoid, or do I detect a cynical tone here?

pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul M. Dubuc) (09/27/85)

In article <1671@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
>Let us consider Paul's letters to the ROmans and to the Corinthians (since
>these are essentially the only scriptural source of justification for
>suppessing women's voice in the church).  With the advent of less
>literal-minded examination of the moral implications of scripture, many
>churches have decided that Paul's writings must be read in light of the
>social situation of Paul's day, where the place of women was considerably
>more restricted ithan it is now.  When a woman can run for the vice
>presidency, and be taken seriously, the chruch believes that there is no
>reason why a woman cannot be a bishop, and be taken seriously.

I'm not exactly sure what Charley means by "a less literal-minded
examination", but the process of "deculturizing" Scripture, to which he
alludes, is not even necessary.  For example, Mary J. Evans has shown that
many of the passages used to assign a secondary place to women are interpreted
with presupposed notions of the meanings of certain terms which do
not necessarily correspond to the meaning indended by the biblical authors.
(See _Woman in the Bible_, by Mary J. Evans, InterVarsity Press 1983).
--

Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd

tim@k.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (10/04/85)

>> I have also heard Jews deny that there is any sexism involved in their laws
>> and temple practices, such as shutting up all the women in the back of the
>> synagogue behind a curtain.
>
>If anything, it's a put down to men, their attention spans, and self
>control over their libidos.
>                                   -micha
>
>PS- Am I paranoid, or do I detect a cynical tone here?

Thank you for the example.

By the way, the term is "ironic", not "cynical."

Please bear in mind the purpose of my message.  Several people claimed that
Islam was demonstrably inferior to Judaism and Christianity, and cited facts
to that effect.  I pointed out that they omitted similar facts about Judaism
and Christianity, and that therefore the comparison was not valid.  The
intent was not so much to attack Judaism or Christianity as to disprove
false claims made concerning Islam, which in fact is no worse than Judaism
or Christianity by an impartial standard.
-=-