[net.religion] Tax Relief for Churches: ARRRRGHH

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (10/08/85)

>>I wrote:
>>   "(UPI) The Senate, with nary a wisp of protest, voted Thursday
>>    to crack down on the worshipers of Satan, and the
>>    practioners (sic) of witchcraft...the Senate approved
>>    legislation denying tax exemptions to any cult promoting
>>    Satanism or witchcraft."--Rocky Mountain News
>>
>> The bill itself is Christian in that the
>> definition of something as "Satanist" or "witchcraft" has no real
>> meaning outside of the Christian view.

>ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>Satanism is not just a Christian view, just
>as a crime under the law is not just a Christian view.  Police records I've
>seen talked about on the news gives very real evidence of the doctrines of
>satanic cults.  These doctrines according to the various news reports support
>violence and in some cases murder.
>I'm not coming from an emotional or prejudiced point of view, I'm just echoing
>various news reports I've seen over the years.
>If the doctrines are indeed what police reports seem to indicate, then satanism
>and whichcraft have a very real meaning outside the Christian view and permeatesequally to secular as well as non secular groups.

I really don't understand what you mean.  First of all, I see no evidence
given for your view other than "various news reports".  What reports, from
where, when, etc.?   The Falwell types are very good at engineering data,
and getting it into the papers.  (See some discussions on frp gaming...)

Secondly, if anyone's doctrines include murder and etc.--and I don't really
think there are organized groups like this--then they can be prosecuted for
murder, and their tax status is a moot point.

Thirdly, it doesn't matter what anyone's doctrines are, they should be
accepted as a valid religion, since the state has no right to define what
doctrines are or are not valid.  If I wanted to preach murder (which I do
not!!!) then I should be able to do so--SO LONG AS I DON'T MURDER ANYONE, or
directly incite someone else to murder.  And even if I do so, the crime
is murder or inciting to murder, not my doctrines.  (See point 2 above.)
A good example of this whole thing is that Catholics believe that in taking
communion, they are actually eating Jesus's body.  Should they be cut off
from tax exempt status for cannibalism?  I think not!

Fourthly, you show yourself ignorant of what witches are and teach.
Witchcraft is a totally separate religion, with a rich and beautiful
history, and fine moral values.   It is the narrow-minded Christian
view of witchcraft which inspired this law, and to which I object.
That narrow view equated a beautiful old religion with the worship of a
Christian invention--Satan.  Witchcraft has nothing to do with Satan.
What you call Satanism does not really exist as a religion--as it is
only a reaction of some to oppressive Christian doctrines, by worshiping
something that most Christians didn't like.  Satan does not exist, to my
knowledge, in any other religion than Christianity (someone may want to
correct me here on the Jewish and/or Islamic views, they are not in my
area of expertise, other religions are.)--that is what I mean when I say
that "the definition of something as "Satanist" or "witchcraft" has no
real meaning outside of the Christian view."

Fifthly, what do you mean by "and permeates equally to secular as well
as non secular groups."  You went right by me there.

If you wish to continue this discussion, feel free--but we should
probably remove it from net.flame.  I am not *quite* as angry as when
I first read the news article.   By the way, I belong to no religious
group--so have no particular axe to grind in this.  (I consider myself
a Buddhist/Hindu/Generic Pagan...:-)   And I personally would like to
see all tax exempt status for religions removed--except for those parts
of their activities which are charitable.

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

I march to the beat of a different drummer, whose identity,
   location, and musical ability are as yet unknown.