[net.religion] Company in Heaven and Hell

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (10/08/85)

> In article <191@gargoyle.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
> >Frankly, I'm rather glad I'm going to Hell.  I'd rather suffer the
> >discomforts and have the company of those who believe in the free
> >inquiry of science, than enjoy the air-conditioned comfort of Heaven
> >and be surrounded by Fundamentalists who regard thinking for oneself
> >as a sin and to whom the highest virtue is obedience to Authority.
> >
> 	Unfortunately you are going to be missing a number of
> interesting scientists, some of us are going to be in Heaven! I
> believe even Galileo was actually a Christian!
> --
>
> 				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

Yes, well Galileo was a Christian persecuted and tried for having the audacity
to say what he had observed in the scientific evidence- namely that the
Earth revolved around the Sun rather than the Sun revolving around the Earth.
For 200 hundred years Christian fundamentalists refused to acknowledge
that Earth might not be the center of the Universe.  Now the same mentality
prevails amongst Christians arguing that there is no such thing as evolution
or that homo sapiens could not be related to other animals by evolution.
It is doubtful the Catholic Church which tried Galileo for his "heresy"
thinks he will be in Heaven.
I agree with them - but then the Catholic Church won't be in Heaven either!

                            tim sevener  whuxn!orb
"Almost Heaven, West Virginia ..."

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (10/19/85)

**

	Heaven for the climate, hell for the company.

			Mark Twain

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software