[net.religion] Atheist "No Christmas" petition

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (10/14/85)

     My apologies if this has already appeared on the net.  My prayers if you
don't care about this topic.

     This appeared in my church's weekly newsletter.  I assume all the
information is correct.

     The Federal communications Commission in Washington, D.C. has received
a 28,000 signature petition from Madelyn [Murray-] O'Hair protesting:

1.  Christmas programs in public schools
2.  Singing of Christmas carols in public schools
3.  No public radio or television religious programs

     This petition has been identified as No. 2493 and if anyone is interested
in responding to this you may write:
	Federal Communications Commission
	1919 M Street
	Washington, D.C. 20054
     The sorting of mail will be eased if in the corner of your envelope you
write "AGAINST PETITION No. 2493".

-----
Brian H. Powell
		UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!brian
		ARPA:	brian@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

		 U.S. Mail:		 Southwestern Bell
		P.O. Box 5899		345-0932
		Austin, TX 78763-5899
					 AT&T
					(512) 345-0932

mab@riacs.ARPA (Matt Bishop) (10/15/85)

Re: Brian Powell's posting about FCC petition #2493:

>      This appeared in my church's weekly newsletter.  I assume all the
> information is correct.
>
>	... about FCC #RM-2493 which will ban various religious
>	... broadcasts and Christmas school activities (my
>	... paraphrase)

   Sorry,  Brian, but your church newsletter is not correct.  First,
   #RM-2493 was filed in 1974 and concerned something very different.
   (and was denied in 1975 to boot!)  A similar flyer came around to
   my wife's church last year (except it said #RM-2493 would ban masses
   being broadcast, not what yours said), caused a big commotion, and
   ended with the priest telling everyone the petition was bogus,
   based on a call he made to the FCC.

   Also, the petition seems phony on the face of it -- so far as I know,
   the FCC controls the airwaves only, not the content of Christmas
   programs in public schools and the singing of Christmas carols in
   public schools.  The latter two would be controlled by the state
   legislature or the school board.  Didn't that make anyone suspicious?

--
Matt Bishop	mab@riacs.arpa	{decvax!decwrl,ihnp4!ames}!riacs!mab

pmd@cbsck.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) (10/15/85)

The petition is a big hoax, intended to make Christians look
foolish.  Don't waste your time.
--

Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (10/15/85)

In article <3178@ut-sally.UUCP> brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) writes:
>     The Federal communications Commission in Washington, D.C. has received
>a 28,000 signature petition from Madelyn [Murray-] O'Hair protesting:
>
>1.  Christmas programs in public schools
>2.  Singing of Christmas carols in public schools
>3.  No public radio or television religious programs
>
>     This petition has been identified as No. 2493 and if anyone is interested
>in responding to this you may write:

NO, NO, NO! This is an entirely false rumor that has been making the rounds in
church newsletters for *over 15 years.*

DO NOT WRITE THE FCC. They have been up to their armpits in protest mail for
this non-existant docket/petition for more than a decade.

In the early 70's, the FCC altered the distribution of frequencies for new non-
profit broadcasting stations, at the request of several Christian broadcasters.
This included a 6-month moratorium on new non-profit broadcasting stations
while the FCC sorted things out. Somehow this made the church newsletter
circuit as a _total_ban_ on religious broadcasting; along the way the story was
embellished and Ms. O'hare's name attached to it. Not only did Ms. O'Hare not
have nothing to do with it, but she hasn't been an activist for over five
years.

Incidentally, people should learn to be more suspicious about these kinds of
things; they are usually fraught with nonsense. For example, the FCC has no
control over singing of Christmas carols in public schools -- why would anyone
send them a petition about it? In addition, you can't submit "petitions" to the
FCC in the usual sense; they are a regulatory agency, not a constitutional
lawmaker.
--
      -m-------   Pyramid Technology       Carl S. Gutekunst, Software R&D
    ---mmm-----   1295 Charleston Rd         {cmcl2,topaz}!pyrnj!

kene@teklds.UUCP (Ken Ewing) (10/16/85)

>      This appeared in my church's weekly newsletter.  I assume all the
> information is correct.
>
>      The Federal communications Commission in Washington, D.C. has received
> a 28,000 signature petition from Madelyn [Murray-] O'Hair protesting:
>
> 1.  Christmas programs in public schools
> 2.  Singing of Christmas carols in public schools
> 3.  No public radio or television religious programs
>
>      This petition has been identified as No. 2493 and if anyone is interested
> in responding to this you may write:
> 	Federal Communications Commission
> 	1919 M Street
> 	Washington, D.C. 20054
>      The sorting of mail will be eased if in the corner of your envelope you
> write "AGAINST PETITION No. 2493".

I would urge strong caution before writing to the FCC.  A few years ago
there was a nation-wide scare that Ms. O'Hare had filed a petition with
the FCC to BAN ALL religious broadcasting on radio and TV.  Concerned
Christians flooded the FCC with letters for months.

The story was a complete hoax.  A Christian radio station that I used to
listen to broadcasted a message for months telling people that no such
petition had been filed and to stop writing to the FCC.

There are more than enough recent instances where Christians have reacted
to a situation without even checking to see if the situation was real.
Let's first VERIFY that the situation exists before we begin any campaign
against it.  Try contacting the FCC itself and asking.  If THEY verify that
the petition exist, then go for it!

  Ken Ewing
  Tektronix, Walker Road
  [decvax,ucbvax]!tektronix!teklds!kene

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/20/85)

> The petition is a big hoax, intended to make Christians look
> foolish.  Don't waste your time.
> --
> Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd

... ... ...  Naah, I won't say it.  :-?

(I thought it was Satan who engaged in temptation...)
--
"to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day
 to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human