[net.religion] God and suffering

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (01/01/70)

>>>Starvation, disease, storms, earthquakes, and so on, are a result, not
>>>of a given sinful action (like rape or murder), but of sin in general.

>>	Whew!!!!  For someone who posted a logical argument you
>>certainly look silly trying to support it with  this kind of
>>evidence!  Haven't you ever heard of Occam's Razor?  [Hunter Scales]

> If the argument holds logically, what's your problem?  [CHARLI]

Obviously (unfortunately), the answer to Hunter's question in the
earlier paragraph is quite apparently a resounding "no".  For if she
had, she would know precisely what the problem is.

> Do you have a simpler explanation for evil in the presence of an
> omnipotent and benevolent God?

Well, first, I might choose NOT to assume that "the presence of an omnipotent
and benevolent god" is a fact, which is that tack you take.   I could be an
atheist and say that there is no such thing.  I could be a "maltheist" and
say that there is such a thing but that it isn't either omnipotent or
benevolent.  Or I could assume nothing.  Neither assuming that a god exists
nor assuming anything about its nature if it does.  Furthermore, why have
any explanation for "evil" at all?  Don't you realize that when you presume
that what you call "evil" (can you really give an objective definition of it
that transcends your perspective or the perspective of your species?) has some
deliberate force behind it, you are engaging in the same act that Christians
seem to attack Paul Zimmerman for with such relish?  In a world where different
people and things exist with different perspectives and needs, and where
some of those perspectives and needs are bound statistically to differ with
yours, how you can you honestly attribute a label of evil to such actions
and claim that they are the result of some deliberate evil force?
--
"I was walking down the street.  A man came up to me and asked me what was the
 capital of Bolivia.  I hesitated.  Three sailors jumped me.  The next thing I

philip@gva04.DEC (Phil Ward DEC Geneva Mgmt. Science) (09/10/85)

	Re: message from Beth Christy, 4 Sep 1985, and earlier from Dan
Boscovitch.

	It is ludicrous to say that suffering brings us closer to Christ.
The Bible tells us that Christ suffered for our sins in order that we might
no longer suffer, and this illustrates the love of Christ for mankind. The
message that God enjoys the suffering of his children, which is implicit in
the teachings of the 'apostle' Paul and of the churches ever since, is
abominable.

	James said, "Consider it all joy when you go through various
trials!" Yes, but trials <> suffering. A trial is like a training which
enables us to rise in our spiritual evolution and come to know ourselves
more fully and more deeply, and thus to know God more fully. It can be a
blessing in disguise, just as the good things that happen to us can be a
hindrance if we do not accept them with the right attitude. Gratuitous
suffering, such as banging one's head on a brick wall or flagellating
oneself, is quite different.

>> Paul said, "...that I might know the FELLOWSHIP of His suffering."

Paul was a fanatic and a sadist of the worst type. I cannot understand how
his writings found their way into a holy book like the Bible. The
fellowship of Christ lies in forgiveness and peace and harmony, not in
suffering.

				/Phil Ward/
				DEC Management Science Group, Geneva

(DEC E-NET)	GVA04::PHILIP
(UUCP)		{decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-gva04!philip
(ARPA)		philip%gva04.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

Tue 10-Sep-1985 18:37  Swiss Time

ix415@sdcc6.UUCP (Rick Frey) (09/12/85)

In article <389>, philip@gva04.DEC (Phil Ward DEC Geneva Mgmt. Science) writes:

> 	It is ludicrous to say that suffering brings us closer to Christ.
> The Bible tells us that Christ suffered for our sins in order that we might
> no longer suffer, and this illustrates the love of Christ for mankind. The
> message that God enjoys the suffering of his children, which is implicit in
> the teachings of the 'apostle' Paul and of the churches ever since, is
> abominable.

Where in the message of Paul does it say that God 'enjoys' the
suffering of His people?  Paul talks about God reproving those whom He
loves (Hebrews 12:6), and he also talks about the example Christ set and
that it will most likely follow for us (II Cor 1:5,6) but no where does
God take pleasure from this suffering.  And where are you getting your
info from on Christ coming so that we might no longer suffer?  I'd like
to hear which verses you feel support this position.

> 	James said, "Consider it all joy when you go through various
> trials!" Yes, but trials <> suffering. A trial is like a training which
> enables us to rise in our spiritual evolution and come to know ourselves
> more fully and more deeply, and thus to know God more fully.

Trials don't have to equal suffering, but they can and often do.  Take
football practice for an example.  It too can be a training
which enables us to rise in our athletic evolution and come to know
ourselves more fully and deeply, but I'll tell you, it hurts.  It is
made up of lots and lots of pain.  Hard work, committment, sacrifice;
these things don't come without cost.  Peter talks about the testing of
our faith and how that produces righteousness.  But what is the testing
field?  It's this world and this world is full of pain and suffering.
Why would you think that our trials wouldn't include that when God's
own Son couldn't even escape it?

> >> Paul said, "...that I might know the FELLOWSHIP of His suffering."
>
> Paul was a fanatic and a sadist of the worst type. I cannot understand how
> his writings found their way into a holy book like the Bible. The
> fellowship of Christ lies in forgiveness and peace and harmony, not in
> suffering.

That is a strong statement that has little support in the actual
writings and life of the one you look to for support.  Christ warned his
disciples that they would have a hard road before them.  In Mathew
10:16-23, Christ prophesies about what life will be like following Him.
"Behold I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves ... But beware of
men for they will deliver you up to the courts and scourge you in their
synagogues."  You're correct in saying that in Christ there is peace,
but as Jesus says in John 16:33, "These things I have spoken to you
that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you have tribulation, but
take courage, I have overcome the world."  There is no denying that
Christ's message was peace and that He suffered for us, in our place and
that He overcame the world, but He DID NOT bring a millenial kingdom of
heaven to the earth where there is no more suffering.  He clearly says
in this world you HAVE tribulation.  His answer isn't that it'll go away
(prior to His second coming) but that He overcame it and that in Him
there is peace.

One last passage that really hits hard on what you're suggesting is
Mathew 16:24-27 (also in Luke 9:23-26).  Christ commands His disciples
to take up their crosses.  Not their golf carts, not their Mercedes
Benzs but their crosses.  Implements of death.  That death is to ourself
and to the world, but that won't come without the committment, the
sacrifice and the complete desire for change that Christs asks of us.
"If any man wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, take up his
cross and follow Me."

The question that might be left is why the suffering?  Just for one
source, look to what Christ said.  In talking about the disciples
relationship to the world, He makes the statment, "If you were of the
world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the
world, but I chose you out of the world therefor the world hates you."
(John 15:19)  He goes on to say how they will do all the things they did
to Him to the disciples and if you read the book of Acts, you see that
that is basically true.  I don't want to ever say that you can tell how
good of a Christian someone is by how many people there are out to get
him, but Western Christianity has been infused with this idea of a nice,
polite, inconspicuous, unobtrusive Jesus that is no where to be found in
the Bible.  Christ made lots of enemies and He played things very
straight.  There is righteousness and there is sin and the two can't get
along together.  If 'the world' doesn't seem to mind us as Christians,
than maybe there is something wrong.  Christ warns us all about salt
becoming tasteless and that is a message that all who believe need to
keep in mind.

				Rick Frey

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (09/12/85)

>	It is ludicrous to say that suffering brings us closer to Christ.
>The Bible tells us that Christ suffered for our sins in order that we might
>no longer suffer, and this illustrates the love of Christ for mankind. The
>. . . .
>Paul was a fanatic and a sadist of the worst type. I cannot understand how
>his writings found their way into a holy book like the Bible. The
>fellowship of Christ lies in forgiveness and peace and harmony, not in
>suffering.
>
>				/Phil Ward/

Christ suffered for our sins *in order that we might be forgiven our
sins.*  I've been a Christian for some years now, and I haven't quit
suffering yet.  Suffering is a fact of life in a fallen world.  If the
Bible said nothing about suffering, we could easily be lost and despair.
But it is not silent on the subject!  Read the first chapter of 2nd
Corinthians.  Read Job.  Read Habakkuk, especially the last chapter.
Read the Acts of the Apostles.  (Ever heard of Stephen?)  Not only Paul,
but also James (try 5:7-11) and Peter (1st epistle, 4:12-19), and the
Gospels tell of suffering, innocent suffering.  They do not say that God
makes people suffer, or that we should *try* to suffer (self-flagellation
or the like).  Rather, they accept suffering as a fact.  They say it
will happen.  And I don't know anyone who has lived more than a few
years who cannot testify to that.

So try your rose-colored theology in the Soviet Union, Albania, Nepal,
Iran, or some other place where Christians suffer *because* they are
Christians.  It doesn't work.  Or try it here.  Christians and non-
Christians alike have heart attacks and cancer.  We all are subject to
injury.  We are not spared lay-offs.  We may have a parent or a child
die.  Read Ecclesiastes, or the Gospels.  You aren't promised a life
free of suffering until you obtain the resurrection.

		charli

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (09/14/85)

> I've been a Christian for some years now, and I haven't quit
> suffering yet.  [CHARLI PHILLIPS]

No comment.  (Well, one:  this makes it sound like Paul Zimmerman is right
about god, doesn't it?)

> Suffering is a fact of life in a fallen world.

What's interesting about this is that this is the diametric opposite of
Zimmerman's maltheism:  in his view, the world is a "good" place that
god mucks up.  In the Christian view put forth by Charli here, the world
is a "fallen" place, where suffering is to be expected, while God brings the
"good".  Is either viewpoint any more arbitrary than the other?  Is either
viewpoint reflected in reality?  Isn't the world just a place where a hell of
a lot of things happen, to entities each with their own self-interest, where
the natural course of events owing to physical laws results in things that
are "good", "neutral", or "bad" (causing suffering) only based on your personal
perspective (your growing different unique needs)?

> So try your rose-colored theology in the Soviet Union, Albania, Nepal,
> Iran, or some other place where Christians suffer *because* they are
> Christians.  It doesn't work.  Or try it here.  Christians and non-
> Christians alike have heart attacks and cancer.  We all are subject to
> injury.  We are not spared lay-offs.  We may have a parent or a child
> die.  Read Ecclesiastes, or the Gospels.  You aren't promised a life
> free of suffering until you obtain the resurrection.  [to Phil Ward}

I think Phil Ward's assessment is quite accurate, in that Paul (not Zimmerman,
Paul as in Tarsus---god, I feel like this is the University of Woolamaloo
Religion Department, with everyone named Paul... :-)  ... ahem, as I was
saying, in that Paul adds needless additional suffering (and acceptance of
suffering) into people's lives.  Yes, there is suffering, not because of
some damager god, but because of the nature and complexity of the world.
But it is often within our power to do something about it and not just
accept it or add to feelings of suffering unnecessary.
--
"Meanwhile, I was still thinking..."
				Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (09/17/85)

>> Suffering is a fact of life in a fallen world. [me]
>
>Isn't the world just a place where a hell of
>a lot of things happen, to entities each with their own self-interest, where
>the natural course of events owing to physical laws results in things that
>are "good", "neutral", or "bad" (causing suffering) only based on your personal
>perspective (your growing different unique needs)? [Rich Rosen]

I agree with you, Rich.  For that matter, so does the Bible:

I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift
or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth
to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to
them all.  (Ecclesiastes 9:11)

I was responding specifically to a doctrinal statement (i.e., that
Christ died so that we wouldn't have to suffer).  Because of personal
circumstances at the moment I responded, my posting may have been poorly
stated and excessive.  If so, I apologize, especially to Phil.

Any further discussions of the Christian perspective on evil and
suffering should probably be carried out in net.religion.christian.

		charli

seshadri@t12tst.UUCP (Raghavan Seshadri) (09/20/85)

> From: charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips)

> So try your rose-colored theology in the Soviet Union, Albania, Nepal,
> Iran, or some other place where Christians suffer *because* they are
> Christians.  It doesn't work.  Or try it here.  Christians and non-
>
> 		charli

Nepal ? Nepal ????? Do you know what you are talking about ?
--
Raghu Seshadri

pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman) (09/20/85)

Rick,

	Why do you so vehemently deny the God's hateful enjoyment which He
gets out of your suffering? You speak of the apostle Paul saying that
God reproves those He loves. Isn't that enough for you? Must you devise
a bizarre ``explanation'' to account for this, instead of accepting the
fact that God is evil? Is God is as powerful as you believe Him to be,
then He could do anything. I can only conclude that he must enjoy the
suffering we endure in His presence, since if He didn't, He could simply
will it away. I contend that the fact that he doesn't will it away is
proof of His evil intent. Testing our faith in God, as Peter said,
produces ``righteousness.'' But what you and he call righteousness is
nothing but sheepish servitude and slavery. Of course, by this
definition, righteousness (whorship of the Damager-God) and sin (failure
to whorship) cannot co-exist, as you say.

Be well,
--
Paul Zimmerman - AT&T Bell Laboratories
pyuxn!pez

ix415@sdcc6.UUCP (Rick Frey) (09/25/85)

Paul,

We can keep this as a side argument and since you were short, I will be
too.

In article <351@pyuxn.UUCP>, pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman) writes:

> 	Why do you so vehemently deny the God's hateful enjoyment which He
> gets out of your suffering? You speak of the apostle Paul saying that
> God reproves those He loves. Isn't that enough for you? Must you devise
> a bizarre ``explanation'' to account for this, instead of accepting the
> fact that God is evil?

I don't know if you overlooked a typical child/parent relationship or if
you disagree with the idea, but what about parents discipling children?
Are they evil pigs too?  Why do you have this idea that all discipline
is bad?  If my parents hadn't of spanked me when I got caught stealing
candy from the supermarket down the street I might have never stopped or
learned that it was wrong.

And what about a football coach, is hell-week the work of a evil pig
coach?  Hell-week (the last week of summer where you have about six
hours a day of practice, in the sun, with full pads) hurts one whole
heck of a lot but my coach wasn't evil.  When he made me run laps for
missing practices, that wasn't evil either.  Discipline and punishment
are a part of learning.  We accept it in the home, in the school, why
should moral learning be any different?

> I can only conclude that he must enjoy the
> suffering we endure in His presence, since if He didn't, He could simply
> will it away. I contend that the fact that he doesn't will it away is
> proof of His evil intent.

Monty Python said it simply and clearly in the ending of Time Bandits
when the child star of the movie asks why the God figure created evil
and His response (which is accurate in more abstract terms) was that it
has something to do with free-will.  God doesn't want the bad part of
free-will, the death, the suffering, the separation from God, but
without the ability to choose going away from God, there's no way to
choose going to Him.  You can't have one without the other.  So what
I'll be glad to grant you that you can accuse God of is for making us
choose and making us responsible for our choice.

But back to learning through discipline and reproof.  It's such a
fundamental part of life; animals learn through reinforcement and
punishment, people learn similarly, so why is it a no go when it comes
to God teaching us through trials (difficult times) and reproof
(possible, not guaranteed recriminations for our actions)?  It's simply
not fair to let every one else use it without having it be fair for God.

				Rick Frey

"All discipline seems for the moment not to be joyful, but sorrowful.
Yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yeilds the
peaceful fruit of righteousness."  Hebrews 12:11

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (09/26/85)

>> . . . . the Soviet Union, Albania, Nepal,
>> Iran, or some other place where Christians suffer *because* they are
>> Christians.
>>
>> 		charli
>
>Nepal ? Nepal ????? Do you know what you are talking about ?
>--
>Raghu Seshadri

My apologies.  I should not have included Nepal in the same list with
the Soviet Union, Albania, and Iran.  Religious persecution exists in
Nepal, but it is not nearly as severe in that country as in the others
I mentioned.

In Nepal, it is legal to *be* any religion, but it is illegal to *change*
ones religion, or to encourage someone else to *change* theirs.
Effectively, one is required to adhere to the religion of ones parents.
Changing ones own religion or encouraging others to change their religion
is punishable by imprisonment.  Christians, of course, are the most
frequent offenders with respect to these laws, since evangelism is a
requirement of the Christian faith.

		charli

planting@uwvax.UUCP (W. Harry Plantinga) (09/27/85)

In article <541@oakhill.UUCP>, Hunter Scales (oakhill!hunter) writes
this in response to my article about why Paul's "damager God" argument
doesn't hold:

>       This line of thinking might hold for "evil" such as murder, rape,
> etc.  How does it apply to letting innocent children die from
> starvation, disease, storms, earthquakes etc?  Or are these children
> not christian and so are not "innocent" ?  A fundementalist once tried
> to convince me that people who had never heard of Christ would
> nevertheless be damned to eternal hellfire!!
>
> Is it logically impossible to create a world without disease or at
> least create human beings who are immune to viruses and bacterial
> infection?  I think it is possible and, further that man will eventually
> create just such a world.  This is the difference between an optimistic
> but rational person and one who is besotted with a basically negative
> religion.

I could respond to this in two ways:  I could tell you Christian
doctrine on these points, or I could I could point out that your
extension of Paul's argument is not valid either.  Concerning
Christian doctrine, let me just state that no one is innocent; all are
deserving of punishment.  However, for my main response I choose to
do the latter, since "proofs" of the non-existence of God is how this
dicussion started.

As I see it, your extension of Paul's argument is this:

(1) There is an omnipotent, omniscient, wholly good God.
(2) There is evil in the world which is not attributable to any human.
(3) If a wholly good God knew of any evil which was not
attributable to any human, and had the ability to stop it, he would.
(4) This is a contradiction, so (1) is false.

This argument also fails for a couple of reasons.  First of all, it is
possible that there are beings other than humans and God; I have in
mind Satan, of course.  It is possible that Satan is responsible for
evil such as disease, etc.  And as we have already seen in an earlier
message, a wholly good could conceivably have reasons for allowing a
being to sin.

In another vein, there is a completely different reason for why this
argument is not valid.  Now let me point out that you don't have to
believe these following possibilities true in order for them to show
that your argument doesn't hold; you merely have to believe them
possible, for then your argument is no longer has a contradiction;
there are possible ways out.

Suppose that this wholly good God nevertheless has a sense of justice.
Their sin might deserve punishment in the form of disease,
pestilence, etc.  What's more, hardship might be *good* for them in
the long run, for example, in that it might make them deal with
questions such as these!  It could be that if there were no
hardship in the world, no on would seek God.

Well enough of this.  Arguments about whether God's exsistence is
impossible or necessary are of small value--they rarely convince
anyone of anything.

			Harry Plantinga
			planting@wisc-rsch.arpa
			{seismo,ihnp4,heurikon}!uwvax!planting

pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman) (10/01/85)

Harry,

	You work from certain assumptions about God's nature and the nature
of the universe. You say it is only possible to eliminate evil if free will
is also eliminated, and that God has deemed it ``better'' to keep free will.
First of all, free will is far from a proven fact. (Take a look at the
dogfight between Ellis and Rosen!)  It seems to me that God gives us the
illusion of having free will in order to foist responsibility on us for
things we do not control and then make us experience guilt about those things.
So this illusion of free will is an example of God's evil, not an argument
against believing in it. I am inclined to agree with Hunter Scales, that
a world without evil is not only possible but feasible. But only if we rid
ourselves of the influence of the evil Damager-God.

Be well,
--
Paul Zimmerman - AT&T Bell Laboratories
pyuxn!pez

laura@l5.uucp (Laura Creighton) (10/02/85)

It does not require omnipotence to design a world where there are no
earthquakes or no common cold. I figure, either God is not omnipotent,
or he/she/it is evil.

--
Laura Creighton		(note new address!)
sun!l5!laura		(that is ell-five, not fifteen)

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (10/02/85)

In article <2213@sdcc6.UUCP> ix415@sdcc6.UUCP (Rick Frey) writes:
> Monty Python said it simply and clearly in the ending of Time Bandits
> when the child star of the movie asks why the God figure created evil
> and His response (which is accurate in more abstract terms) was that it
> has something to do with free-will.  God doesn't want the bad part of
> free-will, the death, the suffering, the separation from God, but
> without the ability to choose going away from God, there's no way to
> choose going to Him.  You can't have one without the other.

How appropriate that you select an authority on comedy to support your
beliefs.  :-)

Even assuming that the line wasn't intended as tongue-in-cheek, it still
doesn't answer the quantitative question of why there is so much evil in
the world.  Why couldn't a hypothetical good god have left out smallpox
and a few of the others?  Or even most of them?  Free will bears little
or no relationship to the large number of things attributed to "God's will".
For example, I can choose to fornicate whether or not earthquakes kill
thousands in Mexico.  I can choose to fornicate whether or not a god decides
to punish me harshly for it.  The fact is, only a pig-god would choose to
do things as noisomely as they are in the Bible and the world today.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) (10/03/85)

In article <329@cylixd.UUCP> charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) writes:
>>>Thus, the argument that if God is omnipotent and wholly good, then he
>>>would eliminate all evil fails:  it assumes premisses which may be
>>>false, such as that God can do anything and that if a good God saw
>>>any evil, he would eliminate it.
>>>							Harry Plantinga
>>
>>      This line of thinking might hold for "evil" such as murder, rape,
>>etc.  How does it apply to letting innocent children die from
>>starvation, disease, storms, earthquakes etc?
>>--
>>Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
>
>I'm probably going to regret this, but here goes.  (Biblical basis
>for the assertions follows.)
>
>Christians generally hold that God made man and the universe good.[1]
>When man sinned, it warped his nature to the extent that a man can no
>longer be entirely good, even if he wants to. [2]  Besides warping
>*human* nature, the presence of sin also warped nature in general. [3]
>Starvation, disease, storms, earthquakes, and so on, are a result, not
>of a given sinful action (like rape or murder), but of sin in general.
>
>God also does not like the situation.  He could (and we are told that he
>will) create human bodies immune from these evils, and he could (and
>will) create a universe without them. [4]  But he cannot do so until sin
>in general has been wiped out.  He has not yet wiped out sin in general,
>because doing so will unfortunately and necessarily wipe out a lot of
>people as well, and God is reluctant to do that. [5]
>
>The gospel of Christ is that through His death and resurrection, we
>can be delivered from our sinful nature, and that the world will also
>ultimately be delivered from the results of sin as well. [6]
[here follow the scriptural passages to support his "arguments".]

	Whew!!!!  For someone who posted a logical argument you
certainly look silly trying to support it with  this kind of
evidence!  Haven't you ever heard of Occam's Razor?
--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas           {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!hunter

(I am responsible for myself and my dog and no-one else)

planting@uwvax.UUCP (W. Harry Plantinga) (10/03/85)

Paul Zimmerman writes:
> Harry,
>
> 	You work from certain assumptions about God's nature and the nature
> of the universe. You say it is only possible to eliminate evil if free will
> is also eliminated, and that God has deemed it ``better'' to keep free will.
> First of all, free will is far from a proven fact. . . .
> So this illusion of free will is an example of God's evil, not an argument
> against believing in it. . . .

In order to rebut your supposed proof that God is evil, it is only
necessary that free will be possible, not actual.  Then your
"contradiction" fails.

ln63fac@sdcc7.UUCP (Rick Frey) (10/05/85)

In article <781@cybvax0.UUCP>, mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:

> How appropriate that you select an authority on comedy to support your
> beliefs.  :-)

True, but who's going to end up doing the laughing?  And I don't mean that
the people in heaven will sit up there laughing at those in hell, but God
says that in heaven there will be no more tears; only joy.  So I'm counting
on a lot of laughter too.

> Even assuming that the line wasn't intended as tongue-in-cheek, it still
> doesn't answer the quantitative question of why there is so much evil in
> the world.  Why couldn't a hypothetical good god have left out smallpox
> and a few of the others?  Or even most of them?

I have an interesting idea of an answer so let me try it and see what you
think.  I read net.origins also and I've seen your postings over there so
I'll be referring to a series of discussions taking place there about the
missing links.  Somone asked why there were no close links between men and
apes (closer than chimps et al) and the response was not that the question
could be answered, but that it was wrong in the nature of its queary.  One
could ask about the links between man and lemmings and there are lots of
evolutionary steps bewteen those two species (are they both species?, I'm
not a biologist or a taxonomist).

One last discussion I want to use as an analogy concerns some of the questions
about the probabitities of life developing.  One responder asked about the
probability of getting dealt a specific bridge hand and made the link that
asking for the odds for a specific life form developing is again a mistaken
question.

So after that lengthy prelude, my basic idea is that maybe there's all sorts
of things that could happen to people that don't.  Women could die after child
birth (like some animal mothers).  Teeth could rot out by age twenty instead
of later in life.  Many detrimental processes could happen faster, the list
(if you're a good pessimist) is endless for the things that could be worse
as well as those that could be better.  So using that as a moral premise to
hold against God, at least to me, doesn't seem to stand up.

> For example, I can choose to fornicate whether or not earthquakes kill
> thousands in Mexico.

This is always going to be the best question (again in my eyes at least).  I
struggle with this one, trying to decide if these are the result of man's
original sin and that the whole nature of God's creation became flawed or
if God willfully causes them (rather than letting them occur).  It's a good
qustion.  The only real thing I go back to that gives me any frame of reference
not to call God a pig because of this is that in the garden of Eden, it wasn't
like this.  nature was perfect and in perfect subjection to both God's will
and man's will.  I still believe that nature must obey God's laws, but it
seems to have gotten off the track that God creaed it on.

				Rick Frey

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (10/11/85)

>>[long discussion, with this primary point:]
>>Starvation, disease, storms, earthquakes, and so on, are a result, not
>>of a given sinful action (like rape or murder), but of sin in general.

>	Whew!!!!  For someone who posted a logical argument you
>certainly look silly trying to support it with  this kind of
>evidence!  Haven't you ever heard of Occam's Razor?  [Hunter Scales]

If the argument holds logically, what's your problem?  You wanted to
know how the idea that God is omnipotent and wholly good could be
reconciled with "impersonal" evil.  That allowed me to use the
omnipotence and benevolence of God as postulates in the explanation.

Do you have a simpler explanation for evil in the presence of an
omnipotent and benevolent God?

		charli

P.S.  >[here follow the scriptural passages to support his "arguments".]
						       ^^^
      It's "her".

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/12/85)

>> How appropriate that you select an authority on comedy to support your
>> beliefs.  :-) [HUYBENSZ commenting on Frey's quoting "god" from the
		  film "Time Bandits" as answering the question "why" with
		  "I think it has something to do free will"]

> True, but who's going to end up doing the laughing?  And I don't mean that
> the people in heaven will sit up there laughing at those in hell, but God
> says that in heaven there will be no more tears; only joy.  So I'm counting
> on a lot of laughter too.

Some God you envision.  Terry Gilliam (not Monty Python), who made "Time
Bandits", quite obviously intended the introduction of Ralph Richardson as
God as a very cute bit of satire.  Sad that those who are so entrenched in
their beliefs didn't get the joke.

>> For example, I can choose to fornicate whether or not earthquakes kill
>> thousands in Mexico.

> This is always going to be the best question (again in my eyes at least).  I
> struggle with this one, trying to decide if these are the result of man's
> original sin and that the whole nature of God's creation became flawed or
> if God willfully causes them (rather than letting them occur).  It's a good
> qustion.

And one with a simple answer if you don't make strange presumptive assumptions.
Neither.
--
Meanwhile, the Germans were engaging in their heavy cream experiments in
Finland, where the results kept coming out like Swiss cheese...

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (10/17/85)

I really don't know why I'm answering this, but . . . we all have our
moments of weakness.

Rich Rosen writes:

>>>Haven't you ever heard of Occam's Razor?  [Hunter Scales]
>
>> If the argument holds logically, what's your problem?  [CHARLI]
>
>Obviously (unfortunately), the answer to Hunter's question in the
>earlier paragraph is quite apparently a resounding "no".  For if she
>had, she would know precisely what the problem is. [Rich]
>
>> Do you have a simpler explanation for evil in the presence of an
>> omnipotent and benevolent God? [charli]

Mr. Rosen, you should learn not to jump to unjustified conclusions.
Of course I'm familiar with Occam's Razor.  The second question should
make that plain.  I asked if Hunter had a *simpler* explanation of evil
in the presence of an omnipotent and benevolent God; Occam's Razor (just
to make the point) is that the simplest explanation that takes into
account all known facts is to be preferred over more complex explanations.
You and I do not disagree on this philosophical principal; we disagree
on the facts.

(And I believe that Willam of Ockham would have agreed with me on the
facts. :-) )

		charli

pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman) (10/17/85)

In article <171@l5.uucp>, Laura Creighton writes:

> It does not require omnipotence to design a world where there are no
> earthquakes or no common cold. I figure, either God is not omnipotent,
> or he/she/it is evil.

That's not an exclusive or, Laura. Certainly He could be both (not omnipotent
and evil). In fact, He is.

Be well,
--

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/18/85)

> I really don't know why I'm answering this, but . . . we all have our
> moments of weakness.

Yes, indeed.  Perhaps a good reason for "answering this" is for the reason
of understanding things.

>>> If the argument holds logically, what's your problem?
>>> Do you have a simpler explanation for evil in the presence of an
>>> omnipotent and benevolent God? [charli]

>>Obviously (unfortunately), the answer to Hunter's question in the
>>earlier paragraph is quite apparently a resounding "no".  For if she
>>had, she would know precisely what the problem is. [Rich]

> Mr. Rosen, you should learn not to jump to unjustified conclusions.
> Of course I'm familiar with Occam's Razor.  The second question should
> make that plain.

On the contrary, it is that very phrasing of that second question that makes
it all too clear that you do NOT understand the principle at all.  That
question is similar in nature to a question of the form "Why does Santa Claus
never leave me any toys?"  The assumptions don't even wait until the question
to end (to being the formulation of answers with assumptions).  The assumptions
are right there IN THE QUESTION!  A simpler for explanation "for evil"?
Isn't the notion that there is force of deliberate evil AT ALL a tremendous
assumption, which has been shown time and time again to be rooted in a
subjective wish to classify all things beneficial/harmful to YOU as "good"/
"evil"?  "In the presence of an omnipotent and benevolent God"?????  If
that's not a remarkable set of assumptions, I don't know what is!  Not only
do you assume the existence of a god, but you assume its shape, form, and
quality according to your liking!  Finally, from the earlier article you
ask "If the argument holds logically, what's your problem?"  Forgive me,
but that makes it clear that you do not understand at all the principle of
Occam's Razor?  The example of its usage bandied about this group goes
something like this:  You come home and find your bird missing from its cage
and feathers in the mouth of your sleeping cat.  You have at least two
possible conclusions you can draw:  (1)  Interdimensional aliens entered your
house through a space-time-cheese warp in the fabric of the continuum, put
your cat to sleep with an anti-matter ineptoid ray, stole the bird for their
own purposes, and placed feathers in your cat's mouth to incriminate him, or
(2) your cat ate the bird.  "If the argument holds logically (as the first
scenario does), what's your problem?"  is antithetical to the principle
of invoking the solution that has the least assumptions, which is (of course)
Occam's Razor.

> I asked if Hunter had a *simpler* explanation of evil
> in the presence of an omnipotent and benevolent God; Occam's Razor (just
> to make the point) is that the simplest explanation that takes into
> account all known facts is to be preferred over more complex explanations.

All known FACTS.  But the variables you add in are hardly facts.  As I have
shown they are assumptions themselves and have no place in the question in
the first place.  Asking that sort of question is about as presumptive as
you can get.

> You and I do not disagree on this philosophical principal; we disagree
> on the facts.

When you have enough eivdence to call them facts, then we can say that this
is just a "difference of opinion" about facts.  Since you don't, you are
merely invoking the "principle" in a very poor and erroneous fashion.

> (And I believe that Willam of Ockham would have agreed with me on the
> facts. :-) )

And people of his day and age (and profession) have been wrong before about
such things...
--
Popular consensus says that reality is based on popular consensus.
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr

laura@l5.uucp (Laura Creighton) (10/22/85)

In article <388@pyuxn.UUCP> pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman) writes:
>In article <171@l5.uucp>, Laura Creighton writes:
>
>> It does not require omnipotence to design a world where there are no
>> earthquakes or no common cold. I figure, either God is not omnipotent,
>> or he/she/it is evil.
>
>That's not an exclusive or, Laura. Certainly He could be both (not omnipotent
>and evil). In fact, He is.
>
>Be well,
>--
>Paul Zimmerman - AT&T Bell Laboratories
>pyuxn!pez

I guess I was not clear.  I meant this an an exclusive or.

	IF (God is omnipotent)
		THEN (God is evil)	/* else there would be no earthquakes */
	ELSE
		(God could be other than evil)
					/* maybe God hates earthquakes as well*/

The binding is on omnipotence.  Either God is omnipotent and evil or not
omnipotent.  (Non-omnipotent evil Gods are possible, of course.)

I followed this one down, and came to the conclusion that ``omnipotent'' was
an ill-formed concept.  Nothing can be omnipotent, in the same way that nothing
can be square and round at teh same time, or blue and yellow at the same time.
Clearly you have arrived at the other end -- omnipotence is possible and thus
the Christian God is evil.  I am interested as to how you got there; I find it
more believable that the Christian God is not omnipotent.
--
Laura Creighton

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/23/85)

>>> It does not require omnipotence to design a world where there are no
>>> earthquakes or no common cold. I figure, either God is not omnipotent,
>>> or he/she/it is evil.  [LAURA]

>>That's not an exclusive or, Laura. Certainly He could be both (not omnipotent
>>and evil). In fact, He is.  [ZIMMERMAN]

> I guess I was not clear.  I meant this an an exclusive or.
> 	IF (God is omnipotent)
> 		THEN (God is evil)	/* else there would be no earthquakes */
> 	ELSE
> 		(God could be other than evil)
> 					/* maybe God hates earthquakes as well*/

Sorry, Laura, that's NOT an exclusive or by any stretch.  You're saying
A is non-omnipotent, and B is evil, and you offer "If ~A then B", but you
don't have the opposing "If A then ~B" to make an exclusive or.  I think Paul
is saying that the possibility certainly exist that god could be BOTH evil
and non-omnipotent, there's nothing in the way of that.

> The binding is on omnipotence.  Either God is omnipotent and evil or not
> omnipotent.  (Non-omnipotent evil Gods are possible, of course.)

That's exactly what Paul was saying:  it's NOT an exclusive or.  (Remember
the two conditions you gave in your original article were "either god is
not omnipotent OR it is evil".)
--

ln63fac@sdcc7.UUCP (Rick Frey) (10/23/85)

In article <785@cybvax0.UUCP>, mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:

> I can't follow your logic.  The above statement seems consistant with two
> non-christian hypotheses:
>
> 1)  That the hypothetical god is incapable of fixing those bad things, and
>     thus not omnipotent.
>
> 2)  That the hypothetical god doesn't really care enough about us to fix
>     them, or wants them that way so that we can suffer.

In my last response I was answering a different part of your question, but
since you've brought this up, I'll see what I can come up with.  The whole
foundation for the question has to do with where did evil come from, who
is/are responsible for it and can/should anything be done about the fact that
it does currently exist by an omnipotent God.

Part 1 - Where does evil come from.  While Genesis uses the word death, the
Bible speaks of death (and I feel consequently evil) resulting from man's
original choice to disobey God.  Not to make this sound like beginning Sunday
school, but that is traditional Christian doctrine.

Part 2 - Who is responsible for evil.  If I put you off with the simplicity
and dogmaticity (??) of my first response, it's mainly because to me, this is
more of the crux of the issue.  As hard as it is to understand, I feel that
both God and man are responsible for evil.  Man's part we've already looked
at, but just to add one point, not only does the Bible say that Adam sinned,
but Paul, in Romans, says that as Adam sinned, so do all men.  To me this
means that I'm not suffering unjustly for something Adam did, I'm a joint
instigator and cause of the problem.

Back to responsibility and God's side of the issue.  To say that God is not
the author of evil is in some ways true but in some ways misleading.  Nothing
exists outside of God creating it and willing it.  In John 1:3 it says, "And
without Him (Christ) was not anything made that was made an all things were
made by Him."  God throughout Isaiah continually claims to be the sole
creator of everything, so to some extent, God is the creator of evil.

But the crucial issue is the way that God is the creator of evil.  Since
nothing exists outside of God creating it (forgive me for stating that as a
given in contrast to your own beliefs, this is simply for the purpose of the
discussion) God must have either directly created evil and sin or He must have
created the means for those to come about.  And to me that's the crucial
difference.  Forgive me if you feel I've taken a long way to get to a simple
point, but lots of people feel they understand this concept (who disagree
with it) but when you sit down to try to find oout where, they have all sorts
of extraneoous notions about this process.  To state another fundamental
assumpion (which I freely admit is a big one) as far as I can tell both
rationally and experientally, free will (which I believe exists) necessitates
the existence of the 'other' side to choose.  If God were the damager-God of
Paul Zimmerman's arguments than there would still be the possibility of
good in the world even though this God had designed things to work the
other way.

Basically it comes down to this.  God created man and willfully and
deliberately gave them the gift of choice (made them choose, whichever you
prefer) and in creating that choice process, God allowed there to be a
consequence for choice away from Him.  This is where things get fuzzy, like
Laura was saying, omnipotent doesn't mean able to create paradoxes (i.e.
round squares).  That's not a limit to power, simply the necessity of a world
with specific meanings.  So could God have created a world where people have
free will but yet do not suffer for their mistakes?  Possibly.  Could God
have created a world with free will but where there is no choice away from
God?  To me that seems like a paradox.

Second to last part.  Since this 'world' God's creating right now must have
the ability to choose going away for God to meet the criteria for free will,
there is still the question of why must their be consequences for wrong
actions?  You can imagine two scenarios.  One, where the football coach tells
everyone to run laps and no one does and nothing happens and another where
the football coach makes everyone 'pay' for their disobedience.  While one
might seem much more fogiving and loving than the other, each situation has a
different thrust for the goals they're trying to accomplish.  In the don't
worry about it situation, there is little impetus for change and my under-
standing of why someone might create a scenario like that would be to let the
players play.  In the second scenario, there is a specific desire on the
coach's part for the players too conform to what He has called them to do.
I'm not trying to discuss the relative value of either so much as I'm trying
to say that either free will necessitates the secoond scenario or maybe God
simply chose to have things be that way.

Last part.  Our world now consists of free will, consequence for choice or
action and a still relatively undefined thing called 'suffering'.  The
question that this all reduces down to is that since God has given us the
ability to choose either for Him or against Him and since He wants us to
choose for Him and we as people do not consistently choose God, there must be
some method for God to get us back on the right track.  I'm not sure who said
this but some said "Pain is God's megaphone to a deaf world".  People have
the ability to turn off their ears when it comes to God (just like they can
close themeselves off to parents, friends, education, almost anything).  God
would love to just tap us on the back and have us turn aroound and say,"sorry
God".  But when a light tap doesn't work, it becomes a firm pat then a
stronger grab till He eventually drops an atomic bomb on yoour shoulder.  If
this seems wrong to you, it's a simple question of priorities.  If life on
this earth is more important than what God tells us about our eternal lives,
then for God to mess up our life on earth for that is a waste.  But if we are
going to live eternally and live with the choice that we make on this earth,
then I'm up for God doing anything it takes to get me into a right
relationship with Him.

The very last thing.  I kind of glanced over it in the last paragraph and
it's a crucial question.  Why don't I naturally choose to do what God wants?
Why do I (we) seem to have this tendency to want to go away from God?  In
answering it I would say two things.  First of all, I've felt like my whole
life has been lived on a balance, even more like trying to balance a circular
disc on the tip of a pin.  God seems to have created me amazingly in terms
of seeing both sides of things, always being on the edge of knowing what's
right and what's wrong and realizing there's a consequence for my actions.
But much of this was a learned discrimination.  At times I've tried as hard
as I could to shut God up and put Him in a nice little box.  I succeeded for
almost two years during high school but God worked His way back out my
Freshman year in college.  All my experience (all 22 years!) has shown me
people who somewhere insde realize that there is a consequence for action and
it's just a question of how much of it do you want to face vs. how much you
want to do just what you want to do no matter what it does to anyone/thing
else.  People can get incredibly hard, and it's not so much of a blanket
thing, where you're either completely open or completely closed.  I was
willing to face my problems of cynicism and being overly critical (not that
they're solved by any means) but I hid from and ignored what God was trying
to tell me about my relationships with friends.  So someone can be compltely
open and amazing in one area and a complete bonehead in another.  But every
thing I've seen in terms of morality and conscience confirms in me that
God created each of us with a picture of Himself inside of us.  We can
live trying to prune our lives to fit that picture or we can whitewash over
it build any type of hoouse we want.

This is one of my favorite quotes by one of my favorite authors and this is
the second time that I've got to use it this week.  (I know you're not a C.S
Lewis fan, but the quote is still right on the mark in terms of what God
is saying to us as people).  "There are those who will say to God, Thy will be
done and there are those to whom God will say thy will be done."  From later
on in the same book (The Great Divorce) he says, "No soul who truly seeks
after joy shall be denied."

Sorry this got so long.  I have a tendency to get excited about these
discussions and ramble somewhat.  I hope you can find the thread of coherency
in this that makes any sense to you and I'll stop now and let you hammer on
this and bring up specific questions rather than me trying to guess what
you'll ask.

				Rick Frey

"If you seek for me with all your heart you will find me says the Lord."
			(Jeramiah 24:25)

pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman) (10/25/85)

Laura,

	The original premise you presented was that God is either
non-omnipotent or evil. I responded by saying that it wasn't necessarily
an exclusive or, that God could be (and in fact IS) both. Your latest
response said that you meant it as an exclusive or, but your proof of
this shows otherwise.

> 	IF (God is omnipotent)
> 		THEN (God is evil)	/* else there would be no earthquakes */
> 	ELSE
> 		(God could be other than evil)
> 					/* maybe God hates earthquakes as well*/
>
> The binding is on omnipotence.  Either God is omnipotent and evil or not
> omnipotent.  (Non-omnipotent evil Gods are possible, of course.)

Well, Laura, that was my claim all along. But the definition of ``exclusive
or'' is that it could be one (non-omnipotent) or the other (evil) but not
both. You admit yourself that God could be both, thus we are not talking
about an exclusive or. My claim always has been that He IS both. You claimed
that I was stating that ``omnipotence is possible and thus the Christian God
is evil.'' This has never been my position, and I have no idea where you
acquired this misconception. I agree with you that ``the Christian God'' is
not omnipotent, but He most certainly is evil.

Be well,
--
Paul Zimmerman - AT&T Bell Laboratories
pyuxn!pez

laura@l5.uucp (Laura Creighton) (10/28/85)

Sorry, Paul
I went back to the original article and see that I have misread what you
posted. A nice, simple mistake, just don't take in the word ``not''
in  the phrase ``not omnipotent''. Sigh, blush...

I am still unsure as to why you think that the Damager God exists at all,
though.

--
Help beutify the world. I am writing a book called *How To Write Portable C
Programs*.  Send me anything that you would like to find in such a book when

Laura Creighton
sun!l5!laura		(that is ell-five, not fifteen)
l5!laura@lll-crg.arpa

scott@hpuslma.UUCP (10/29/85)

Rick,

Right on and Amen!  I don't know where this discussion started but it appears
to be interesting and true.

Jim Scott
N0GLP
St. Louis

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (10/30/85)

In article <134@sdcc7.UUCP> ln63fac@sdcc7.UUCP (Rick Frey) writes:
[reordered somewhat for my purposes.... mrh]
> Sorry this got so long.  I have a tendency to get excited about these
> discussions and ramble somewhat.  I hope you can find the thread of coherency
> in this that makes any sense to you and I'll stop now and let you hammer on
> this and bring up specific questions rather than me trying to guess what
> you'll ask.

When I get excited and write too much, or write something that sounds good
but isn't pertinent, I edit.  I rethink what exactly I need to say, throw
out big hunks (maybe everything) and rewrite.

Please take the time to define your thoughts clearly, rather than saddle us
with the labor of trying to find meaning in a muddle.  Don't be sorry:
be ashamed, and do something about it.

Especially, make your paragraphs short and to the point.  I try not to go
over about 6 lines in a paragraph.  Usually that's all you need, and a
good subject sentence makes them easy to examine.  Most of your paragraphs
are much longer and unfocused.

> In article <785@cybvax0.UUCP>, mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
> >
> > I can't follow your logic.  The above statement seems consistant with two
> > non-christian hypotheses:
> >
> > 1)  That the hypothetical god is incapable of fixing those bad things, and
> >     thus not omnipotent.
> >
> > 2)  That the hypothetical god doesn't really care enough about us to fix
> >     them, or wants them that way so that we can suffer.
>
> The whole foundation for the question has to do with where did evil come
> from, who is/are responsible for it and can/should anything be done about
> the fact that it does currently exist by an omnipotent God.

A god that could do something about evil (if evil or gods actually exist)
may not need to be omnipotent.  After all, if evil is caused by Satan,
and Satan is not omnipotent, and Satan ceases to cause evil, that's enough.

> Part 1 - Where does evil come from.  While Genesis uses the word death, the
> Bible speaks of death (and I feel consequently evil) resulting from man's
> original choice to disobey God.  Not to make this sound like beginning Sunday
> school, but that is traditional Christian doctrine.

Right.  And traditional Christian doctrine is blatantly stupid on that point
as it takes two to tango.

> Part 2 - Who is responsible for evil.  If I put you off with the simplicity
> and dogmaticity (??) of my first response, it's mainly because to me, this is
> more of the crux of the issue.  As hard as it is to understand, I feel that
> both God and man are responsible for evil.  Man's part we've already looked
> at, but just to add one point, not only does the Bible say that Adam sinned,
> but Paul, in Romans, says that as Adam sinned, so do all men.  To me this
> means that I'm not suffering unjustly for something Adam did, I'm a joint
> instigator and cause of the problem.

That's nonsense according to many doctrines of original sin.  And if not
according to those doctrines, we then are irresistably tempted to sin by
our environment in a way we cannot control, and then punished for it.
That's as stupidly unjust as I can imagine.

> Back to responsibility and God's side of the issue.  To say that God is not
> the author of evil is in some ways true but in some ways misleading.  Nothing
> exists outside of God creating it and willing it.  In John 1:3 it says, "And
> without Him (Christ) was not anything made that was made an all things were
> made by Him."  God throughout Isaiah continually claims to be the sole
> creator of everything, so to some extent, God is the creator of evil.
>
> But the crucial issue is the way that God is the creator of evil.  Since
> nothing exists outside of God creating it (forgive me for stating that as a
> given in contrast to your own beliefs, this is simply for the purpose of the
> discussion) God must have either directly created evil and sin or He must have
> created the means for those to come about.  And to me that's the crucial
> difference.  Forgive me if you feel I've taken a long way to get to a simple
> point, but lots of people feel they understand this concept (who disagree
> with it) but when you sit down to try to find oout where, they have all sorts
> of extraneoous notions about this process.  To state another fundamental
> assumpion (which I freely admit is a big one) as far as I can tell both
> rationally and experientally, free will (which I believe exists) necessitates
> the existence of the 'other' side to choose.  If God were the damager-God of
> Paul Zimmerman's arguments than there would still be the possibility of
> good in the world even though this God had designed things to work the
> other way.

Even granting all those absurd premises, there's no reason why the other
side should be so noxious, omnipresent, and unavoidable.  For example,
bad people could continue to live forever, and good people could die and
go to heaven (good riddance. :-)

> Basically it comes down to this.  God created man and willfully and
> deliberately gave them the gift of choice (made them choose, whichever you
> prefer) and in creating that choice process, God allowed there to be a
> consequence for choice away from Him.  This is where things get fuzzy, like
> Laura was saying, omnipotent doesn't mean able to create paradoxes (i.e.
> round squares).  That's not a limit to power, simply the necessity of a world
> with specific meanings.  So could God have created a world where people have
> free will but yet do not suffer for their mistakes?  Possibly.  Could God
> have created a world with free will but where there is no choice away from
> God?  To me that seems like a paradox.

But neither of those in any way answers my two hypotheses.

> Second to last part.  Since this 'world' God's creating right now must have
> the ability to choose going away for God to meet the criteria for free will,
> there is still the question of why must their be consequences for wrong
> actions?  You can imagine two scenarios.  One, where the football coach tells
> everyone to run laps and no one does and nothing happens and another where
> the football coach makes everyone 'pay' for their disobedience.  While one
> might seem much more fogiving and loving than the other, each situation has a
> different thrust for the goals they're trying to accomplish.  In the don't
> worry about it situation, there is little impetus for change and my under-
> standing of why someone might create a scenario like that would be to let the
> players play.  In the second scenario, there is a specific desire on the
> coach's part for the players too conform to what He has called them to do.
> I'm not trying to discuss the relative value of either so much as I'm trying
> to say that either free will necessitates the secoond scenario or maybe God
> simply chose to have things be that way.

Maybe the football coach is a sadist and is exercising the players more than
is safe or healthy.  Maybe he's just feeding his ego.

> Last part.  Our world now consists of free will, consequence for choice or
> action and a still relatively undefined thing called 'suffering'.  The
> question that this all reduces down to is that since God has given us the
> ability to choose either for Him or against Him and since He wants us to
> choose for Him and we as people do not consistently choose God, there must be
> some method for God to get us back on the right track.  I'm not sure who said
> this but some said "Pain is God's megaphone to a deaf world".  People have
> the ability to turn off their ears when it comes to God (just like they can
> close themeselves off to parents, friends, education, almost anything).  God
> would love to just tap us on the back and have us turn aroound and say,"sorry
> God".  But when a light tap doesn't work, it becomes a firm pat then a
> stronger grab till He eventually drops an atomic bomb on yoour shoulder.  If
> this seems wrong to you, it's a simple question of priorities.  If life on
> this earth is more important than what God tells us about our eternal lives,
> then for God to mess up our life on earth for that is a waste.  But if we are
> going to live eternally and live with the choice that we make on this earth,
> then I'm up for God doing anything it takes to get me into a right
> relationship with Him.

Substitute Hitler for god in most of the above, and it is analogous.  But we
dislike Hitler and you like god.  Why?

> The very last thing.  I kind of glanced over it in the last paragraph and
> it's a crucial question.  Why don't I naturally choose to do what God wants?
> Why do I (we) seem to have this tendency to want to go away from God?  In
> answering it I would say two things.  First of all, I've felt like my whole
> life has been lived on a balance, even more like trying to balance a circular
> disc on the tip of a pin.  God seems to have created me amazingly in terms
> of seeing both sides of things, always being on the edge of knowing what's
> right and what's wrong and realizing there's a consequence for my actions.
> But much of this was a learned discrimination.  At times I've tried as hard
> as I could to shut God up and put Him in a nice little box.  I succeeded for
> almost two years during high school but God worked His way back out my
> Freshman year in college.  All my experience (all 22 years!) has shown me
> people who somewhere insde realize that there is a consequence for action and
> it's just a question of how much of it do you want to face vs. how much you
> want to do just what you want to do no matter what it does to anyone/thing
> else.  People can get incredibly hard, and it's not so much of a blanket
> thing, where you're either completely open or completely closed.  I was
> willing to face my problems of cynicism and being overly critical (not that
> they're solved by any means) but I hid from and ignored what God was trying
> to tell me about my relationships with friends.  So someone can be compltely
> open and amazing in one area and a complete bonehead in another.  But every
> thing I've seen in terms of morality and conscience confirms in me that
> God created each of us with a picture of Himself inside of us.  We can
> live trying to prune our lives to fit that picture or we can whitewash over
> it build any type of hoouse we want.

So you choose to dignify your malleability and conformism by claiming that
you have a picture of god within you?  Is god that way too?  Frankly, I
consider that a blatant case of wishful thinking based on zero evidence.

> This is one of my favorite quotes by one of my favorite authors and this is
> the second time that I've got to use it this week.  (I know you're not a C.S
> Lewis fan, but the quote is still right on the mark in terms of what God
> is saying to us as people).  "There are those who will say to God, Thy will be
> done and there are those to whom God will say thy will be done."  From later
> on in the same book (The Great Divorce) he says, "No soul who truly seeks
> after joy shall be denied."

Mystic bullshit.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (10/31/85)

Mike Huybensz writes a lengthy response to Rick Frey, and I think the last
line sums it up:

> Mystic bullshit.

Pardon me, but what else, to your way of thinking, might you expect
to find on net.religion?

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (11/01/85)

In article <162@pluto.UUCP> warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) writes:
> Mike Huybensz writes a lengthy response to Rick Frey, and I think the last
> line sums it up:
>
> > Mystic bullshit.
>
> Pardon me, but what else, to your way of thinking, might you expect
> to find on net.religion?

Intelligent, comparative analysis based on clearly stated facts and premises.

The majority of Rick's article consisted of the kind of high-quality argument
I enjoy.  His last few paragraphs (if I recall correctly) degenerated
from that standard to typical vague (or coded) sect-specific pronouncements.
In other words, mystic bullshit.

Let me explain my opinion of bullshit a little better though.  I'm an
entomologist on the side.  To lots of organisms, bullshit is literally and
figuratively manna from heaven.  But if I want to learn about nutrition,
I don't start with the nutritive makeup of manure.  And for my own tastes,
I like things that are not pre-digested.  :-)

If you want to understand the effect and nature of mystic bullshit, watch
the recent movie version of 1984, especially the scene where the people are
screaming "sex crimes" and then burst into tearful reverence as the image
of the leader appears.  That conditioning is the purpose of church singing,
chanting, repetition of dogmas, etc.  It is a method of channeling thought
into authority-approved, pre-defined pathways.  It is the substitution of
meaningless reflex for thought.

It's very difficult to see this pattern in your own life.  Start first with
observing it in others, gradually closer to home.  It's an omnipresent part
of human life, and none of us are immune.  The best we can do is to
recognize it, and gradually unshackle our thinking from the accumulated
years of indoctrination.  I've been working on it for at least 15 years,
and still I feel powerful, automatic, emotional responses to a whole range
of symbolisms of many different ways that I've been exposed to.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh