[net.religion] The Damager God: Another fool rushes in

I'm going to look down from my whirlwind (it's what I use to trash
net.philosophy :-) and speak on this issue.  This has a fair chance of being
my only posting on this subject, and I am going to be a bit flamy here.  The
reason for that latter should become apparent.

Mr. Zimmerman (like Tim Maroney before him) would use the scriptures to
accuse God.  God has done all these horrible things, and therefore he must
be evil.

It's not like this has not been thought of before.  Anyone who aspires to
deal with the whole question of God's permission (and even apparent
encouragement) of evil has to read the book of Job before they dare speak.
The LORD's reply to Job is quite relevant to Mr. Zimmerman's arguments too,
and so I freely acknowledge my debts to this book.

Mr. Zimmerman's position is built upon a bedrock of pride.  This is a man
who believes he understands the purpose behind every action of a being of
whose nature he knows nothing.  Have you, Mr. Zimmerman, measured the hand
of God?  Do you know the reach of his gaze?  The length of his memory?  Can
you comprehend what it is to stand out of time, to be omnipotent,
all-seeing, all-knowing?

Not content with one sin of pride, hew must compound it with another.  He
would judge the LORD as a man.  Would you judge a man as a dog?  A dog as a
snail?  An infant as an adult?  What is death to one who can raise from the
dead?  What is blindness to one who restores sight?  Even Jesus, God of God,
would not presume to judge the Father.

Not content with that great hubris, he goes on to claim knowledge of the
very purpose of the universe, revealed to him alone.  Not even the Buddha
had the gall to claim to know why life was suffering.

Mr. Zimmerman, I have suffered.  I have been carried out into the land of
the mystics and brought directly to God.  I have walked through great
valleys of silence.  God is Good.  To one who has been there, there can be
no other knowledge.  I am not so proud as to claim to know why God does
these things.  Maybe in the next life you will have a reason to curse God to
his face, rather than taunt his silence.

C Wingate

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (10/29/85)

In article <2015@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
> I'm going to look down from my whirlwind (it's what I use to trash
> net.philosophy :-) and speak on this issue.  This has a fair chance of being
> my only posting on this subject, and I am going to be a bit flamy here.  The
> reason for that latter should become apparent.

Is the apparent reason "extreme pomposity"?  :-)  I'm going to rearrange your
response a little, to put the ridiculous passages first.

> Mr. Zimmerman, I have suffered.  I have been carried out into the land of
> the mystics and brought directly to God.  I have walked through great
> valleys of silence.  God is Good.  To one who has been there, there can be
> no other knowledge.  I am not so proud as to claim to know why God does
> these things.  Maybe in the next life you will have a reason to curse God to
> his face, rather than taunt his silence.

"God is Good."  Wow, that has all the intensity of the scene from Young
Frankenstein when Wilder tells the monster "You are Good!".  The rhetorical
excess of the above passage merely underlines how poorly you can support
your claims.  (One of the better lessons from Bertrand Russell.)

> Mr. Zimmerman (like Tim Maroney before him) would use the scriptures to
> accuse God.  God has done all these horrible things, and therefore he must
> be evil.

And why not?  You and others would use the scriptures to praise God.
Plainly, you're making a blatant fallacy of special pleading here (and
in subsequent passages.)

> It's not like this has not been thought of before.  Anyone who aspires to
> deal with the whole question of God's permission (and even apparent
> encouragement) of evil has to read the book of Job before they dare speak.
> The LORD's reply to Job is quite relevant to Mr. Zimmerman's arguments too,
> and so I freely acknowledge my debts to this book.

The Lord's reply to Job is clearly a fallacy of argument.  Simply substitute
"Hitler" for "Lord" and then see where the moral ground lies.

> Mr. Zimmerman's position is built upon a bedrock of pride.  This is a man
> who believes he understands the purpose behind every action of a being of
> whose nature he knows nothing.  Have you, Mr. Zimmerman, measured the hand
> of God?  Do you know the reach of his gaze?  The length of his memory?  Can
> you comprehend what it is to stand out of time, to be omnipotent,
> all-seeing, all-knowing?

By this "logic" taking ANY position, pro- or anti-god, is hubris.  Who are
you, or even any prophet, to dare to interpret the meaning of any
communication by a superior being?

> Not content with one sin of pride, hew must compound it with another.  He
> would judge the LORD as a man.  Would you judge a man as a dog?  A dog as a
> snail?  An infant as an adult?  What is death to one who can raise from the
> dead?  What is blindness to one who restores sight?  Even Jesus, God of God,
> would not presume to judge the Father.

Another example of appallingly inappropriate analogies.  The only way
those could be contorted into any semblance of a reasonable argument would
be "Would a dog judge a man as a dog?" etc.  But as they stand, they show
only your irrationality on the subject.

But I suppose that, doglike, you think the only appropriate think to do is
to wag your tail no matter how your superior master beats you, starves you,
or slaughters you for the pot.  Well, that too is a judgement.  And plainly
an incompetant one.

> Not content with that great hubris, he goes on to claim knowledge of the
> very purpose of the universe, revealed to him alone.  Not even the Buddha
> had the gall to claim to know why life was suffering.

I'll let Paul defend himself on this accusation, especially since you
haven't specified any particular statement.  However, it would be very
amusing to hear Buddhas' thoughts on your beliefs....
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) (10/31/85)

In article <2015@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:

>Mr. Zimmerman, I have suffered.  I have been carried out into the land of
>the mystics and brought directly to God.  I have walked through great
>valleys of silence.  God is Good.  To one who has been there, there can be
>no other knowledge.  I am not so proud as to claim to know why God does
>these things.  Maybe in the next life you will have a reason to curse God to
>his face, rather than taunt his silence.

Perhaps...  I remain as unconvinced by Charley's argument as I do by Paul's.
The (apparent) inability to know g-d does not mean that g-d is good.  G-d
says that g-d is good, but then crazy eddie says that crazy eddie is good.

Under the circumstances I will opt, with Charley, to continue seeking
understanding but I will try not to preform my conclusions.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (10/31/85)

Charley Wingate writes:
> Not even the Buddha had the gall to claim to know why life was suffering.

But that's exactly what the second Noble Truth is.  The Four Noble
Truths are the whole foundation of what the Buddha said--the subject
of his first sermon, and the basis of Buddhism.  If you missed them,
you should not be bringing in the Buddha because you have not read
what he has to say, or have totally missed his point.

--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

I march to the beat of a different drummer, whose identity,
   location, and musical ability are as yet unknown.

tim@k.cs.cmu.edu (Tim Maroney) (11/02/85)

"Whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."  Mat. 5:22.

Here is a summary of Charley's message, with responses in parentheses.

The Book of Job explains it all.  Don't ask me how, it just does.  You can't
talk about this issue unless you've read the Book of Job.  That has all the
answers.  (Somehow, Charley neglected to give a summary of the argument, no
doubt just an innocent oversight on his part....  I've read Job and it seems
irrelevant to the issue of slaughtering innocent babies by divine order and
making disease bacteria.)

Mr Zimmerman's argument is built on pride.  (Meaningless personal attack,
used in lieu of rational argument.)  God is beyond our judgment. (I took
this argument apart specifically and precisely in "Even If I Did Believe",
which Wingate ignores because he is incapable of answering it.  It is so
much easier to hide your head in the sand and spout the same old
already-refuted arguments than to face the truth, isn't it, Charley?)

You can't judge God by the same standards as men.  Would you judge a man as
a dog?  (Another point I dealt with specifically and exactly in "Even If I
Did Believe", leading me to wonder again whether one should judge Wingate as
an ostrich.  Answer my refutations, don't just cover your eyes and hope
they'll go away.  Intellectual dishonesty of this type is revolting.  Grow
up, will you?)

The Buddha did not claim knowledge of the reasons for suffering.  (A lie,
apparently born of ignorance but still a lie because of the irresponsibility
of speaking from ignorance.  Ever hear of the Second Noble Truth, Charley?
"Suffering is caused by attachment."  It's the foundation of Buddhism....)

I have had mystical experiences of overwhelming goodness.  Therefore, there
is a God, and he is good.  (I've also had plenty of mystical experiences of
this nature, and I dispute your conclusions.  Mystical experience is just
that, not literal truth or any sort of proof.  It is conditioned by personal
factors and predisposition.  A Christian or a person raised almost entirely
as a Christian is no more going to experience an evil God than a Hindu is
going to have a vision of the Virgin Mary.  Unless treated with skepticism,
mystical experiences =always= produce dogmatic attachment to their subject;
and we have seen the extent of Charley's skepticism.)

Charley's was the weakest, most bombastic, and most refutable (pre-refuted,
in fact) message I have seen on net.religion in weeks.  C'mon, Charley, you
can do better than these damp, insubstantial breezes.  Can't you?

A veritable limpet wearing the stolen coat of a sage....
-=-
Tim Maroney, CMU Center for Art and Technology
Tim.Maroney@k.cs.cmu.edu	uucp: {seismo,decwrl,etc.}!k.cs.cmu.edu!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	Religion is a branch of psychology.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (11/04/85)

> I'm going to look down from my whirlwind (it's what I use to trash
> net.philosophy :-) and speak on this issue.  This has a fair chance of being
> my only posting on this subject, and I am going to be a bit flamy here.  The
> reason for that latter should become apparent.  [WINGATE]

Yeah, as usual, you attack someone whose opinions you don't like.

> Mr. Zimmerman's position is built upon a bedrock of pride.  This is a man
> who believes he understands the purpose behind every action of a being of
> whose nature he knows nothing.  Have you, Mr. Zimmerman, measured the hand
> of God?  Do you know the reach of his gaze?  The length of his memory?  Can
> you comprehend what it is to stand out of time, to be omnipotent,
> all-seeing, all-knowing?

This hand you ask Paul to measure.  This is a hand you draw yourself by
outlining your own fingers on paper.  It is based on your image of what
you choose to believe god is.  Since Paul is not making your assumptions
about the nature of god, he is not bound by your restrictions that claim
"you can't say that, you're talking about god!!!"  He is judging objectively
your notions about god from an external perspective.  (Well, maybe not
objectively, but certainly without YOUR set of presumptions.)

> Not content with one sin of pride, hew must compound it with another.

There's another fine example.  "Sin of pride".  You (and your god, or so you
say) describe such pride as a sin.  But if you don't accept your particular
notions about god, there is no "sin" involved.  This is a perfect example
of the line of thinking I describe above ("You can't say that...").

> He would judge the LORD as a man.  Would you judge a man as a dog?  A dog
> as a snail?  An infant as an adult?  What is death to one who can raise from
> the dead?  What is blindness to one who restores sight?  Even Jesus, God of
> God, would not presume to judge the Father.

Good for him!  The only thing wrong with such judging is that YOU say (that
*HE* says) it is wrong.

> Not content with that great hubris, he goes on to claim knowledge of the
> very purpose of the universe, revealed to him alone.  Not even the Buddha
> had the gall to claim to know why life was suffering.

But the great Winga, of course, has never NEVER done anything like that,
such as asserting that it is an evil "sin of pride" to question god, or
that his assumptions are better than someone else's...

> Mr. Zimmerman, I have suffered.  I have been carried out into the land of
> the mystics and brought directly to God.  I have walked through great
> valleys of silence.  God is Good.  To one who has been there, there can be
> no other knowledge.

This comes back to haunt you, Charles.  Paul claims, just as you do, to have
been "brought directly to god".  He claims to have "been there" JUST as you
have, and he has claimed that there can be no other knowledge than that which
HE found.  What does that say about the trips both you and he have made?  Did
you have a better tour guide than he did?  How do you know that?

> I am not so proud as to claim to know why God does these things.

Oh, but you ARE, dear Charles!!!  You have engaged in a "sin of pride" when
you said that "God is Good".  Just as you claimed that Paul did.
--
"I was walking down the street.  A man came up to me and asked me what was the
 capital of Bolivia.  I hesitated.  Three sailors jumped me.  The next thing I