[net.religion] Pride and the damager-god

brengle@hplabsc.UUCP (Tim Brengle) (11/05/85)

Has anyone else out there in net-land noticed the immense pride and
ego-gratification must come from believing that evil in the world
is solely the result of the damager-god?

According to what I have read from Paul and others, while not omnipotent,
the damager-god is immensely powerful.  The most powerful being there is
(<- my interpretation of their statements).

Now, every day Paul and his "disciples" go up against this powerful being.
One-on-one.  And every day that they continue to live, they have defeated
him.  At least for one more day.  What a good feeling!  To go head-to-head
against the most powerful being there is and to defeat it!  Heady stuff!
Talk about the ultimate ego trip!  "I am more powerful than the (previously)
most powerful being in this universe!"

So, if the damager-god is truly the source of all evil, and they are more
powerful than he, why don't they just go out and solve all of the problems
of the world?

(I am not sure what the proper icon is for sarcasm, or I would use it here.)

				Tim Brengle

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (11/06/85)

> Has anyone else out there in net-land noticed the immense pride and
> ego-gratification must come from believing that evil in the world
> is solely the result of the damager-god?  [BRENGLE]

Yes, Charles Wingate has said the same thing over and over.  And, as with
Charles' pronouncements, your own words are without support, and in fact
come back to haunt you.

> According to what I have read from Paul and others, while not omnipotent,
> the damager-god is immensely powerful.  The most powerful being there is.
> Now, every day Paul and his "disciples" go up against this powerful being.
> One-on-one.  And every day that they continue to live, they have defeated
> him.  At least for one more day.  What a good feeling!  To go head-to-head
> against the most powerful being there is and to defeat it!  Heady stuff!
> Talk about the ultimate ego trip!  "I am more powerful than the (previously)
> most powerful being in this universe!"

Compare that "pride" to THIS pride:  "I am loved by the greatest most
benevolent thing in the universe, my life is looked after by him because I
believe in him."  ANY quantitative or qualitative difference in the magnitude
and form of pride from the "pride" shown in the previous example?  (It
seems like Tim's pride represents the true winner in the contest for ultimate
ego trip!)
--
"Mrs. Peel, we're needed..."			Rich Rosen 	ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (11/06/85)

In article <2808@hplabsc.UUCP> brengle@hplabsc.UUCP (Tim Brengle) writes:
>Has anyone else out there in net-land noticed the immense pride and
>ego-gratification must come from believing that evil in the world
>is solely the result of the damager-god?
>According to what I have read from Paul and others, while not omnipotent,
>the damager-god is immensely powerful.  The most powerful being there is
>(<- my interpretation of their statements).
>Now, every day Paul and his "disciples" go up against this powerful being.
>One-on-one.  And every day that they continue to live, they have defeated
>him.  At least for one more day.
>What a good feeling!  To go head-to-head
>against the most powerful being there is and to defeat it!  Heady stuff!
>Talk about the ultimate ego trip!  "I am more powerful than the (previously)
>most powerful being in this universe!"
>So, if the damager-god is truly the source of all evil, and they are more
>powerful than he, why don't they just go out and solve all of the problems
>of the world?
>				Tim Brengle

According to that reasoning, isn't it also an act of "immense pride and
ego-gratification" to claim that you know the absolute truth from direct
divine revelation and that the others whose positions don't agree with
yours don't?
If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET
ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (11/07/85)

In article <2808@hplabsc.UUCP> brengle@hplabsc.UUCP (Tim Brengle) writes:
> Has anyone else out there in net-land noticed the immense pride and
> ego-gratification must come from believing that evil in the world
> is solely the result of the damager-god?

Has anyone else out there in net-land noticed the immense pride and
ego-gratification must come from believing that good in the world
is solely the result of the Christian god?

> Now, every day Paul and his "disciples" go up against this powerful being.
> One-on-one.  And every day that they continue to live, they have defeated
> him.  At least for one more day.  What a good feeling!  To go head-to-head
> against the most powerful being there is and to defeat it!  Heady stuff!
> Talk about the ultimate ego trip!  "I am more powerful than the (previously)
> most powerful being in this universe!"

Now, every day Tim and his fellow believers grovel to this powerful being.
One-on-one.  And every day that they continue to live, they have satisfied
him.  At least for one more day.  What a good feeling!  To attempt to satisfy
the most powerful being there is and to please it!  Heady stuff!  Talk about
the ultimate ego trip!  "I can suck up to the most powerful being in this
universe!"

> So, if the damager-god is truly the source of all evil, and they are more
> powerful than he, why don't they just go out and solve all of the problems
> of the world?

So, if the Christian god is truly the source of all good, and they can satisfy
it, why don't they just have it solve all of the problems of the world?

> (I am not sure what the proper icon is for sarcasm, or I would use it here.)

I generally use the smiley :-) or frownie :-( depending on intention.

In general, you might find that your arguments will improve if you stay
away from ascribing motives for other's arguments, and stick to the facts
and claims of the argument.  It's been my observation that this is a standard
religious technique used to focus attention away from the actual arguments
when the perpetrator cannot better defend his belief rationally.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh