[net.religion] On the Power of Arcane Symbols

[Follow-ups to net.religion, please]

In the Christians-And-D&D discussion the question of the improper use of
religious symbols came up.  One person objected to the way much Christian
symbology is "abused" by D&D designers.  I see no reason not to extend the
discussion to other religious symbology seeing the same sort of usage.

The primary system I have played it used a number of occult techniques
within the game setting.  In particular, there were several uses of the
tarot, because a number of us were knowledgable in it.

My feeling, based on these experiences, is to treat every occultish thing as
if it were real.  In the first place, I know no way to exclude the
possibility that these things function as claimed on occaision (although I
doubt most of them).  It is reasonably well-established (I can't cite
references but they should be easily locatable) that these things have a lot
of psychological power, even such poor tools as the newspaper horoscopes.
At one time, a number of researchers substituted randomly selected
horoscopes for the normal ones in a newspaper for a period of some weeks.
Not suprisingly, the change went unnoticed; what was suprising was the
number of 'hits' the random texts produced.  I myself believe that most
oracles work in the same way.  So I treat these things with great respect;
whether or not they do invoke the supernatural, they do have power.

For the same reason, I am leery of munging religions together.  I am
somewhat of a student of Taoist thought, and a very little bit of Buddhism.
But mix-and-match religion makes my blood run cold.  The symbols of other
religions, whether they are 'true' or not, nevertheless are powerful, and
should be respected.

Charley Wingate

credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) (10/29/85)

>At one time, a number of researchers substituted randomly selected
>horoscopes for the normal ones in a newspaper for a period of some weeks.
>Not suprisingly, the change went unnoticed; what was suprising was the
>number of 'hits' the random texts produced.  I myself believe that most
>oracles work in the same way.  So I treat these things with great respect;

Sure they do.  But they "work" not because they have any "power", but
because (1) horoscopes and oracles are written ambiguously, to maximize
the number of "hits" and gain a reputation for credibility; (2) people
are predisposed to believe in them, and so they interpret whatever
happens in a way that gives them validity; and (3) such people are
sometimes influenced by the prediction to behave in a way that makes
it come true -- e.g. if it is predicted that I will have an automobile
accident, and I believe the prediction, my driving will likely become
nervous and jerky, and you can guess what will happen.

One may argue that these are undesirable effects, but I do not think
a Christian can rationally believe that the fault lies in some
devil-driven oracle or spell. It lies in human stupidity, gullibility,
desperation or misplaced faith.

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (10/31/85)

>So I treat these things with great respect;
>whether or not they do invoke the supernatural, they do have power.
>
>For the same reason, I am leery of munging religions together.  I am
>somewhat of a student of Taoist thought, and a very little bit of Buddhism.
>But mix-and-match religion makes my blood run cold.  The symbols of other
>religions, whether they are 'true' or not, nevertheless are powerful, and
>should be respected.
>Charley Wingate

Actually, that is the reason I DO believe in "munging religions together."
All religious symbols and power come from the same place.  They all
have validity.  But some are more useful to a particular person than others.
A person needs to use those that are most useful to him/her--whatever
tradition they originally came from.  And that may include things from
several religions for one person.

In fact, I would go farther and say that some symbols are more useful
at certain times than others.  If I am taking a long trip, I may find
it best to go by car to the airport, then take a plane, etc.  I would
not force myself to take the car the whole way just because I started
out in it.  We should not be afraid to use those symbols, rituals, and
practices which advance us on the way.
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

I march to the beat of a different drummer, whose identity,
   location, and musical ability are as yet unknown.

In article <17027@watmath.UUCP> credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) writes:

>>At one time, a number of researchers substituted randomly selected
>>horoscopes for the normal ones in a newspaper for a period of some weeks.
>>Not suprisingly, the change went unnoticed; what was suprising was the
>>number of 'hits' the random texts produced.  I myself believe that most
>>oracles work in the same way.  So I treat these things with great respect;

>Sure they do.  But they "work" not because they have any "power", but
>because (1) horoscopes and oracles are written ambiguously, to maximize
>the number of "hits" and gain a reputation for credibility; (2) people
>are predisposed to believe in them, and so they interpret whatever
>happens in a way that gives them validity; and (3) such people are
>sometimes influenced by the prediction to behave in a way that makes
>it come true -- e.g. if it is predicted that I will have an automobile
>accident, and I believe the prediction, my driving will likely become
>nervous and jerky, and you can guess what will happen.

So does this not give them a certain power over those who believe in them?

>One may argue that these are undesirable effects, but I do not think
>a Christian can rationally believe that the fault lies in some
>devil-driven oracle or spell. It lies in human stupidity, gullibility,
>desperation or misplaced faith.

Certainly.  But therefore the power is still there; it is simply
psychologically derived.

Charley Wingate

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (11/04/85)

> My feeling, based on these experiences, is to treat every occultish thing as
> if it were real.  In the first place, I know no way to exclude the
> possibility that these things function as claimed on occaision (although I
> doubt most of them).  It is reasonably well-established (I can't cite
> references but they should be easily locatable) that these things have a lot
> of psychological power, even such poor tools as the newspaper horoscopes.
> At one time, a number of researchers substituted randomly selected
> horoscopes for the normal ones in a newspaper for a period of some weeks.
> Not suprisingly, the change went unnoticed; what was suprising was the
> number of 'hits' the random texts produced.  I myself believe that most
> oracles work in the same way.  So I treat these things with great respect;
> whether or not they do invoke the supernatural, they do have power. [WINGATE]

My God, Charles!!!  Are you actually close to admitting that the same things
you describe might apply to your own beliefs?

(Naah, for me to believe that would be wishful thinking... :-)
--
Popular consensus says that reality is based on popular consensus.
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (11/07/85)

>>>At one time, a number of researchers substituted randomly selected
>>>horoscopes for the normal ones in a newspaper for a period of some weeks.
>>>Not suprisingly, the change went unnoticed; what was suprising was the
>>>number of 'hits' the random texts produced.  I myself believe that most
>>>oracles work in the same way.  So I treat these things with great respect;

>>Sure they do.  But they "work" not because they have any "power", but
>>because (1) horoscopes and oracles are written ambiguously, to maximize
>>the number of "hits" and gain a reputation for credibility; (2) people
>>are predisposed to believe in them, and so they interpret whatever
>>happens in a way that gives them validity; and (3) such people are
>>sometimes influenced by the prediction to behave in a way that makes
>>it come true -- e.g. if it is predicted that I will have an automobile
>>accident, and I believe the prediction, my driving will likely become
>>nervous and jerky, and you can guess what will happen.

> So does this not give them a certain power over those who believe in them?

Mr. Wingate, could you, by any chance, by any stretch of the imagination,
just possibly, be making references to your OWN beliefs with this response?

>>One may argue that these are undesirable effects, but I do not think
>>a Christian can rationally believe that the fault lies in some
>>devil-driven oracle or spell. It lies in human stupidity, gullibility,
>>desperation or misplaced faith.

> Certainly.  But therefore the power is still there; it is simply
> psychologically derived.

You mean this "simple" statement applies to other people's beliefs in "occult"
things.  Does it apply equally to yours?  Why or why not?  Please take the
time to answer these questions.
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr