[net.religion] Falwell

berger@aecom.UUCP (Mitchell Berger) (10/10/85)

I heard a rumor that Falwell is considering running for
President in 1986. Any confermations, or is this just rumor?

The question then posed is: Do I want my foreign policy decided
by someone who expects Armeggedon in another 15 years?

                                  Very Worried,
                                   michab

up547413042@ucdavis.UUCP (up547413042) (10/12/85)

> I heard a rumor that Falwell is considering running for
> President in 1986. Any confermations, or is this just rumor?
>
> The question then posed is: Do I want my foreign policy decided
> by someone who expects Armeggedon in another 15 years?
>
>                                   Very Worried,
>                                    michab

I haven't heard Falwell is running, but I heard the Pat Robertson, a
preacher of similar inclinations whose show is called the 700 Club is
considering running. God willing, he won't even come close to getting a
nomination.
				-- Chris Young

padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) (10/12/85)

> > I heard a rumor that Falwell is considering running for
> > President in 1986. Any confermations, or is this just rumor?
> >
> > The question then posed is: Do I want my foreign policy decided
> > by someone who expects Armeggedon in another 15 years?
> >
> >                                   Very Worried,
> >                                    michab
>
> I haven't heard Falwell is running, but I heard the Pat Robertson, a
> preacher of similar inclinations whose show is called the 700 Club is
> considering running. God willing, he won't even come close to getting a
> nomination.
> 				-- Chris Young

Actually it might not do any harm. With those guys fascination for christianity
and capitalism they might even balance the budget :-)

Padraig Houlahan

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (10/15/85)

>I heard a rumor that Falwell is considering running for
>President in 1986. Any confermations, or is this just rumor?
>The question then posed is: Do I want my foreign policy decided
>by someone who expects Armeggedon in another 15 years?
>                                   michab

I thought it was already, judging by some remarks that our Fearless
Leader has made.

--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

I march to the beat of a different drummer, whose identity,
   location, and musical ability are as yet unknown.

bennet@gymble.UUCP (Tom Bennet) (10/19/85)

>From: up547413042@ucdavis.UUCP (up547413042)
>
>I haven't heard Falwell is running, but I heard the Pat Robertson, a
>preacher of similar inclinations whose show is called the 700 Club is
>considering running. God willing, he won't even come close to getting a
>nomination.
>				-- Chris Young

There was a story about that in the Washington Post some time back.  It seems
that if Robertson runs, he plans to run as a Republican.  The paper quoted some
unnamed Republican politician to the effect that now his party can have the
1984 Democratic race in reverse, with Howard Baker playing Walter Mondale, Jack
Kemp playing Gary Hart, and Pat Robertson playing Jesse Jackson.

That gets deeper the longer you look at it.
"That we have made a hero of Howard Hughes tells us ... that the secret point
of money and power in America is neither the things that money can buy nor
power for power's sake ..., but absolute personal freedom, mobility, privacy."
						-- Joan Didion
Tom Bennet @ U of MD Comp Sci Dept    |   ..!ihnp4!seismo!umcp-cs!gymble!bennet

parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (01/30/86)

     My	local Illinois Bell telephone directory	(for Oswego,
     Illinois) contains	this warning:

			       WARNING

	  Illinois law defines harassment as the use of	 the
	  telephone  to	 make  lewd  or	 indecent comment or
	  request  with	 intent	  to   offend....to   abuse,
	  threaten,  or	 harass	(whether conversation  takes
	  place	or not)...to cause  another's  telephone  to
	  ring	repeatedly  with intent	to harass...to know-
	  ingly	allow one's telephone to be used for any  of
	  these	purposes.

	  The law provides a penalty of	up to six months  in
	  jail and/or a	$500 fine.

> > Perhaps I'm missing something (not being a net.legal reader, and having to
> > put up with a remarkably sporadic news feed), but do these calls fit the
> > *legal* definition of a "harassing call"?  From what I seem to remember,
> > they don't, but then I'm frequently wrong.  Anybody here know?
> >
> I've fallen into this class.  It's a grey area as to what is harassing,
> but it is almost certain that if someone tells you that you are harassing
> them, and you continue to do it, that you are harassing them.
>
> -Ron

Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414