[net.religion] Nag Hammadi Library

daveh@tekcrl.UUCP (Dave Hatcher) (02/03/86)

  Quote from "The Nag Hammadi Library"
	page 471 "The Gospel of Mary"

	The savior said, "All natures, all formations, all creatures
	exist in and with one another, and they will be resolved again
	into their own roots. For the nature of matter is resolved into
	the roots of its nature alone. He who has ears to hear, let
	him hear".

	Peter said to him, "Since you have explained everything to us,
	tell us this also: What is the sin of the world?" The Savior
	said, "There is no sin, but it is you who make sin when you do
	the things that are like the nature of adultery, which is
	called sin. That is why the Good came into your midst, to the
	essence of every nature, in order to restore it to its root."
	Then he continued and said, "That is why you become sick and
	die, for [  missing words in manuscript   ] ... He who under-
	stands, let him understand. Matter gave birth to a passion
	that has no equal, which proceeded from something contrary to
	nature. Then there arises a distubance in the whole body. That
	is why I said to you Be of good courage, and if you are
	discouraged be encouraged in the presence of the different
	forms of nature. He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

 I have recently been reading where Jesus spent his youth in Asia,
 and the passage above sure sounds like there,s some Eastern thought
 in it.

   If you see love in others, you will treat them with love!

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (02/07/86)

In article <496@tekcrl.UUCP> daveh@tekcrl.UUCP (Dave Hatcher) writes:
>  Quote from "The Nag Hammadi Library" page 471 "The Gospel of Mary"
>
>	..."What is the sin of the world?" The Savior
>	said, "There is no sin, but it is you who make sin when you do
>	the things that are like the nature of adultery, which is
>	called sin. That is why the Good came into your midst, to the
>	essence of every nature, in order to restore it to its root."
>
> I have recently been reading where Jesus spent his youth in Asia,
> and the passage above sure sounds like there,s some Eastern thought
> in it.

Sounds like classical Gnosticism as well. As to Jesus' youth in Asia:
Christians are almost universally in disagreement; I know of no
Christian who generally supports euthanasia. :-)

(Forget I posted it...)

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)