[net.religion] Der Fuhrer

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (03/07/86)

In article <173@lll-lcc.UUcp> bandy@lll-lcc.UUCP (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:

>Can you say "crusade"? Can you say "pogrom"? Can you say "nazi"?

>I'm PROUD to be a CARBON-BASED lifeform!

   Anti-silicon bigot!

In article <9616@ucla-cs.ARPA> cs111olg@ucla-cs.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev (the student incarnation)) writes:

>I HAVE stated that I see Nazi philosophy as a(n) (direct) inheritor of
>X-tian philosophical concepts, and I think Nazi movement would have never
>exited in a society that had more respect for human beings. X-tianity (if you
>follow the Bible) has little respect for human beings.

    Both of you are dead wrong. The Nazi philosophy is a direct outgrowth
of Number Theory, and particularly the great development of class field
theory in the 1920's. To quote the well-known Nazi mathematician Hasse:

    "The smallest modulus f = f(chi) which is uniquely determined by chi,
    is called the *conductor* of chi." -- Helmut Hasse, Number Theory

    Like all of the most insidious propaganda, this *sounds* innocuous. But
"conductor" in German (the language Hasse was writing in) is Der Fuhrer.
Is that a coincidence?  Huh, huh?  Invoking my apostolic authority as "the
Josh McDowell of the net" I am going to have to insist that you two get a
stupidity license before posting again. This is your first warning!

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
Imagine what the world would be like if football was a worthy ritual performed
in stadiums but mathematics was a misunderstood activity ignored by almost all.