[net.religion] Genesis 6:1-4, A query regarding interpretation.

espen@well.UUCP (02/21/86)

	I would be interested in hearing (via mail or a reply posting to
this net) about any information explaining how this passage is interpreted
by biblical scholars or anyone else for that matter. Any info could help
settle a friendly argument I had with a friend regarding this rather
unclear and strange passage from Genesis.
	Thanks!
	Peter Espen

4341del@mtuxn.UUCP (D.LINDSAY) (02/26/86)

In article <686@well.UUCP> espen@well.UUCP writes:

>	I would be interested in hearing (via mail or a reply posting to
>this net) about any information explaining how this passage is interpreted
>by biblical scholars or anyone else for that matter. Any info could help
>settle a friendly argument I had with a friend regarding this rather
>unclear and strange passage from Genesis.
>	Thanks!
>	Peter Espen

I assume that the problem deals with understanding who the "sons of God" are?
If so, then here is my explanation using other passages from the Bible
to illuminate the one in question.

The "sons of God" referenced in Genesis 6:1-4 are also referenced
with exactly the same phrase in Job 1:6, 2:1, and 38:7.
These "sons of God" in Job clearly refer to supernatural beings in the
presence of God. It is also interesting to note that Satan appears along with
these other beings with the implication that Satan may be a similar type being.

The supernatural attributes of these "sons of God" is also brought out
in the Septuagint (LXX) which was a translation of the Old Testament Hebrew
into Greek in the third century B.C. These "sons of God" references
(Gen. 6:2, Job 1:6, 2:1, 38:7) are all translated as "angels" in the Greek LXX.

In addition, the Qumran Targum of Job (a translation/paraphrase of the Hebrew
into Aramaic - like the Living Bible of today) also translates "sons of God"
into "angels".

The Nephilim mentioned in Genesis 6, as related to the offspring of the
"sons of God" and "daughters of men", can also be found in Numbers 13:33.
Some translations substitute the word "giants" as these persons were known
to be (LXX translation). The Numbers 13:33 reference also associates the
Nephilim with other giants, the "sons of Anak" or "Anakim" (see Num. 13:22,28).

Therefore, it can be concluded that:
	1. the "sons of God" were generally understood to be "angels";
	2. the Nephilim were identified as a form of fearsome giants.

If the Nephelim were offspring of the "sons of God" and "daughters of men",
as the Genesis text implies, then the conclusion can be made that angels
"came in" (cohabit) with women to create a super race of giants in the days of
Noah prior to the flood. Although this interpretation may seem a bit way out
to some, I believe that it is the only reasonable understanding of Genesis 6
in the light of other relevant Scriptures.

In the LORD's Service,

Dave Lindsay

ptl@fluke.UUCP (Mike Andrews) (03/07/86)

Hi,

A footnote in my Bible (the New American Bible) says the following
about this passage:

	"This is apparently a fragment of an old legend that had
	borrowed much from ancient mythology.  The sacred author
	incorporates it here, not only in order to account for the
	prehistoric giants of Palestine, whom the Isrealites called
	the Nephilim, but also to introduce the story of the flood
	with a moral orientation - the constantly increasing
	wickedness of mankind."

Hope this helps.  There are many study sources that could be
tapped if detailed information is wanted.  Your pastor could probably
help you out.

God Bless,

Mike Andrews (PTL)

             God says He is always with us, and will never leave us.

ARPA : fluke!ptl@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP : {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!ptl

ken@gitpyr.UUCP (Ken Hall) (03/07/86)

In article <698@mtuxn.UUCP> 4341del@mtuxn.UUCP (01311-D.LINDSAY) writes:
>Therefore, (See article in question) it can be concluded that:
>	1. the "sons of God" were generally understood to be "angels";
>	2. the Nephilim were identified as a form of fearsome giants.
>
>If the Nephelim were offspring of the "sons of God" and "daughters of men",
>as the Genesis text implies, then the conclusion can be made that angels
>"came in" (cohabit) with women to create a super race of giants in the days of
>Noah prior to the flood. Although this interpretation may seem a bit way out
>to some, I believe that it is the only reasonable understanding of Genesis 6
>in the light of other relevant Scriptures.

1)  Christians are referred to as "sons of God"--

	For as many as are led by the Spirit of God,
	They are the sons of God.
					Romans 8:14

2)  Christians are also referred to as "angels"--

	Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write . . .
					Revelation 2:1,8,12,18,etc.

3)  Angels are uni-sex, without sex; so how can they have sex with humans,
    especially if they are spirits--

	Who maketh his angeles spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire?
					Hebrews 1:7

With these thoughts lets turn to Genesis 6:1-2

	And it came to pass,
	When men began to multiply on the face of the earth,
	And daughters were born unto them,

	That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair;
	And they took them wives of all which they chose.

	And the Lord said,
	My Spirit shall not always strive with man,
	For he also is flesh:
	Yet his days shall be a hundred and twenty years.

	There were giants in the earth in those days;
	And also after that,
	When the sons of God came into unto the daughters of men,
	And they bare children to them,
	The same became mighty men which were of old,
	Men of renown.

It seems more obvious that the Spirit of God is speaking about the
inter-marriage between Christians and non-Christians.  Look above at
what the Spirit is talking about:

	When MEN began to multiply . . .
	My Spirit shall not always strive with MAN . . .
	For HE is also FLESH . . .
	The same became mighty MEN . . .
	MEN of renown.

We know what God says about the inter-marriage of Christians and
non-Christians.  Read 2 Corinthians 6:14-18:

	Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers:
	For what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness?
	And what communion hath light with darkness?

	And what concord hath Christ with Belial?
	Or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

	And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols?
	For ye are the temple of the living God;
	As God hath said,
	I will dwell in them,
	And walk in them;
	And I will be their God,
	And they shall be my people.

	Wherefore come out from among them,
	And be ye separate,
	Saith the Lord,
	And touch not the unclear thing,
	And I will receive you,

	And I will be a Father unto you,
	And you shall be my sons and daughters,
	Saith the Lord Almighty.

Our being temples of the living God, He dwelling and walking within us,
and we being His people, I would think that this makes us "giants" in the
land.  We become the sons and daughters of God.

And this scripture agrees with Genesis and we can understand what the Spirit
is saying.

Ken Hall

cs111olg@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/12/86)

Ken Hall AGAIN makes a silly assertion :
In article <1510@gitpyr.UUCP> ken@gitpyr.UUCP (Ken Hall) writes:
>With these thoughts lets turn to Genesis 6:1-2
>       There were giants in the earth in those days;
>       And also after that,
>       When the sons of God came into unto the daughters of men,
>       And they bare children to them,
>       The same became mighty men which were of old,
>       Men of renown.
>
>It seems more obvious that the Spirit of God is speaking about the
>inter-marriage between Christians and non-Christians.  Look above at
>what the Spirit is talking about:

It is MORE THAN OBVIOUS to ME that there could NOT have been ANY
X-tians in the time period Genesis refers to. That was BEFORE
Christ. Or are you REALLY confused?

>We know what God says about the inter-marriage of Christians and
>non-Christians.  Read 2 Corinthians 6:14-18:
>       And I will be a Father unto you,
>       And you shall be my sons and daughters,
>       Saith the Lord Almighty.

What IS this continual reliance upon some FATHER-figure you petricentrists
have???? Don't YOUR fathers fit the bill? Do you necessarily NEED to
have this all-knowing, unforgivig Daddy in Heaven?! Grow up!

>Our being temples of the living God, He dwelling and walking within us,
>and we being His people, I would think that this makes us "giants" in the
>land.  We become the sons and daughters of God.
>
>Ken Hall

Someone! Call the de-programmers! Ken Hall SERIOUSLY need help.

                                Oleg Kiselev, born again Ubizmatist

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (03/13/86)

> In article <698@mtuxn.UUCP> 4341del@mtuxn.UUCP (01311-D.LINDSAY) writes:
> >Therefore, (See article in question) it can be concluded that:
> >	1. the "sons of God" were generally understood to be "angels";
> >	2. the Nephilim were identified as a form of fearsome giants.
> >
> >If the Nephelim were offspring of the "sons of God" and "daughters of men",
> >as the Genesis text implies, then the conclusion can be made that angels
> >"came in" (cohabit) with women to create a super race of giants in the days of
> >Noah prior to the flood. Although this interpretation may seem a bit way out
> >to some, I believe that it is the only reasonable understanding of Genesis 6
> >in the light of other relevant Scriptures.
>
> 1)  Christians are referred to as "sons of God"--

> 2)  Christians are also referred to as "angels"--

> 3)  Angels are uni-sex, without sex; so how can they have sex with humans,
>     especially if they are spirits--

> With these thoughts lets turn to Genesis 6:1-2

> It seems more obvious that the Spirit of God is speaking about the
> inter-marriage between Christians and non-Christians.  Look above at
> what the Spirit is talking about:

	I find this a bit hard to believe. After all, the OT was written
 slightly before Christians came on the scene.

				Eliyahu Teitz.