[net.religion] Wissenschaft Ueber Alles

michael@spar.UUCP (Not Bill Joy) (03/31/86)

In article <2196@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.ARPA writes:
>>     postulate a Cosmic Observer who has been there since the beginning of
>>     time, to assure the existence of everything during those periods of our
>>     not-looking.
>
>You mean, the Cosmic Observer was sleeping nicely
>until all those philosophers babbling nonsense
>woke it up, at which time it retroactively created
>the state of the universe, INCLUDING the babbling
>philosophers?  Seems rather unlikely it would make
>the same mistake twice.
>
>P.S. Please keep this out of net.sci,net.physics,
>and other technical newsgroups, and in return I'll
>quit posting responses back into the silly groups.

    I consciously removed "net.physics" from the list of newsgroups in my
    response to Matthew Wiener's original article. Whether I should have
    also removed "net.sci" is not totally clear, since that group has partly
    served as a forum for matters whose scientific status is in question,
    such as the debate on parapsychology.

    One point which seems totally beyond your bitterly shrivelled mind, Mr.
    Gwyn, is that those "defenders of scientific purity" who believe in an
    absolutely existing objective universe have made almost precisely the
    same ontological commitments as those who believe in a Spinozan Deity.

    If it is the consensus that either Matthew's original or my followup did
    not belong in net.sci, I will refrain from posting similar topics to
    that newsgroup in the future. Your flame, however, means less than
    nothing to me, Mr. Gwyn. Shove it..

-michael

    In the 16th & 17th centuries there was a fair competition between
    ancient western science and philosophy and the new scientific
    philosophy; there was never any fair competition between this entire
    complex of ideas and the myths, religions, procedures of of nonwestern
    societies. These myths, these religions, these procedures have
    disappeared or deteriorated not because science was better, but because
    the apostles of science were the more determined conquerors, because
    they materially suppressed the bearers of alternative cultures.
    There was colonization and suppression of the views of the tribes and
    nations colonized. These views were first replaced, first, by the
    religion of brotherly love, and then by the religion of science.

-Paul Feyerabend