[net.religion] supernatural events

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (08/26/86)

From: rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen):
>>>What IS a miracle?  The definition describes an event
>>>ASSUMED to be of "supernatural" (could someone PLEASE, for the last time,
>>>define the difference between natural and supernatural without playing
>>>anthropocentric word games?) origin solely because WE don't understand its
>>>nature. [ROSEN]

	Sure. Here's one possible definition: something is "supernatural"
when it does not obey any physical law. Not just outside *known* physical
law, mind you, but a truly lawless event.

>> One part of the idea of a miracle is a boundary between
>> the reality we are in, and another reality.
>
>Are these "boundaries" and "sides" any more than our own attempts to pigeon-
>hole and categorize for our own convenience, based on what we do and don't
>understand?  Are things we don't understand necessarily different than those
>things we do understand?  Are they of some different sphere of reality simply
>because we don't understand them?

	Maybe, no, and no, respectively. Hey, I don't believe in supernatural
events, either, I'm just trying to define what they might be, *if* they
existed. I think that events which we do not yet understand will turn
out to be, without exception, either due to physical principles we have
not yet discovered, or due to principles we know, only we haven't yet
figured out the connection. But, we *could* be wrong about this, Rich.
We can't logically exclude the possibility that some Agency is able to
cause things to happen just by wishing it so, without regard to whether
that event is possible under the laws of physics. The hidden premise
I see in your reasoning is that physical law is absolute and inviolable.
But suppose it isn't? As long as physical law works as we expect when
it's not overridden, that is, almost all the time, then our teakettles
and toasters will continue to work as expected. As an example (and note
this is an *analogy*, *not* an attempt to equate quantum mechanics with
the supernatural), current theory suggests that it's possible for the
water in your teakettle to freeze instead of boil, but it also says that
such a thing is so collosally unlikely that it'll almost certainly never
happen, anywhere in the universe, no matter how many billions of years
you wait. So we can safely ignore this when boiling water. In the same
way, the apparent absolute reliability of physical law doesn't *prove*
it can't be overridden, it only shows that such overriding must be at
best a rare event.

>When we talk about the universe at large, is it really
>"divided" into "supernatural" and "natural" realms, or the former only a
>separate "realm" in terms of its classification by us on the basis of our
>lack of knowledge about it?

	It's *probably* lack of knowledge, but we can't *exclude* the
supernatural as a logical impossibility. The most we can say is that
it seems unlikely, and that there's no decent evidence of supernatural
events. And it may be impossible to ever know, which makes supernatural
agency a pretty useless hypothesis. As you point out, the explanation
for any event might always be just over the next scientific horizon;
but, as you also pointed out, "we don't know" means just that, we really
don't know. Until we find an explanation for a given phenomenon, we can't
actually exclude the possibility that it was an example of genuinely
unlawful behavior, rather than of unknown laws. We don't know.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	ELECTRIC AVENUE:	 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,nsc,hao,hplabs}!ames!barry

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (08/28/86)

In article <1629@ames.UUCP> barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
>From: rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen):

>	Sure. Here's one possible definition: something is "supernatural"
>when it does not obey any physical law. Not just outside *known* physical
>law, mind you, but a truly lawless event.

    Considering the discussion over on net.philosophy a while back (in
which Rich took part) this is not a very responsive answer, since the
distinction between physical and non-physical is assumed. Moreover, you
seem to be supposing that physical events in general are lawful. But what
is 'lawful'? The usual interpretations of QM are probabilistic, which means
that the particular events that happen are in some sense truly lawless
events, even though the probability of this or that event happening is
lawful. Moreover, statistically speaking an event which we would perceive
and label as miraculous might in fact be possible but very unlikely
when considered via *known* physical laws, like your teakettle which
freezes from reverse entropy.

    If you assume there is a God who created the "natural world" (the world
with computer terminals, etc. in it) then it makes some kind of sense to
draw a distinction of category between God as being "supernatural" --
literally meaning "above nature" --  and this natural world. If we also
assume the world was created with certain laws which God sometimes violates
then calling these violation events supernatural or miraculous also seems
reasonable. I suspect it was this kind of thinking which lead to the
introduction of the concept of supernatural. What Otto called the "numinous"
(in 'The Idea of the Holy') probably also plays a part.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
 This posting was made possible by a grant from the Mobil Corporation

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Ken Arromdee) (09/02/86)

>It doesn't matter if we have equations to describe it; it's still
>miraculous. The very fact that there seems to be a universe and we seem
>to be sentient beings in it is about as supernatural as you're going
>to get. We shouldn't be fooled into thinking that just because we
>see something happen again and again it's less miraculous than a
>one shot deal. A sunset is a miraculous, beautiful part of the world.

This argument has always astonished me.  If you decide that such things are
"miracles", then why aren't plagues, earthquakes, etc... also considered to be
miracles?
--
Super-villain rule 647: NEVER tell a superhero you aren't a living being.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET              ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: {allegra!hopkins, seismo!umcp-cs, ihnp4!whuxcc} !jhunix!ins_akaa