[net.religion] Heaven and Hell

ddw@cornell.UUCP (06/26/83)

From: ddw (David Wright)
To: net-religion

We've been getting a fair amount of discussion on resurrection, life after
death, and suchlike topics lately, but most of the descriptions of Hell seem
rather uninspired.  Okay, those who don't make the cut get cast into the
lake of burning brimstone for Eternity, or something like that.  I have a
much more fiendish alternative:  those who don't make the cut are stuck
forever at a terminal with no 'n' key that prints nothing but Bible-thumping
net.religion articles full of logical fallacies but you can't reply to them
because your mailer is broken.  (I know, it's a run-on sentence, but it's
the effect I was trying for.)

One other comment:  we had a discussion here a while back about how, thermo-
dynamically, Heaven should be hotter than Hell.  I think I have the solution:
Heaven is air-conditioned, the waste heat is vented to hell with some losses
that form background radiation in the universe.

                           With tongue firmly in cheek,

                                 David Wright

                                 {vax135|decvax|purdue}!cornell!ddw
                                 ddw@cornell

stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (09/03/86)

In article <1181@uw-june>, gordon@uw-june (Gordon Davisson) writes:

> There are no physicists in the hottest parts of hell, because the existance
> of a 'hottest part' implies a temperature difference, and any marginally
> competent physicist would immediately use this to run a heat engine and
> make some other part of hell comfortably cool.  This is obviously impossible.
> 				-- Richard Davisson

I recommend "The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis to refresh our thinking
on the nature of Hell.

Some notes on Hell:

1.	No one is in Hell yet.  The devil will not be the first to be cast
	into Hell (and is not there now).

2.	Hell is sometimes described as hot, sometimes as a place of darkness,
	always as a place of torment.

3.	The Hell referred to on newsnet as the place of final torment is
	not the same as the hell of the Old Testament.  The hell of the
	Old Testament was a temporary resting place for the dead.

Quiz:

1.	Who are the first two people thrown in the lake of fire (Hell)?

2.	What is the condition on which one may avoid Hell?

	a) Good deeds.
	b) A valid reservation for heaven.
	c) The whim of the Judge.

3.	What do the men in the parables from Matthew who ended up
	in the outer darkness have in common?

4. 	(extra credit) Was the rich man in the Old Testament hell or
	the New Testament Hell?

Next time: does God want people to go to Hell?

The quotations below are taken from the Holy Bible,
New Internation Version, copyright 1973,1978 International Bible Society,
and are used with permission.

REV 19:11 - 20:15
 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse,
whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and
makes war.
 12   His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns.
He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself.
 13   He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the
Word of God.
 14   The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and
dressed in fine linen, white and clean.
 15   Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down
the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter." + Psalm 2:9
+ He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.
 16   On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING
OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
 17   And I saw an angel standing in the sun, who cried in a loud
voice to all the birds flying in midair, "Come, gather together for
the great supper of God,
 18   so that you may eat the flesh of kings, generals, and mighty
men, of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all people, free
and slave, small and great."
 19   Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies
gathered together to make war against the rider on the horse and his
army.
 20   But the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who
had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs
he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped
his image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of
burning sulfur.
 21   The rest of them were killed with the sword that came out of the
mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged themselves
on their flesh.

	CHAPTER 20

 1   And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key
to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain.
 2   He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil,
or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.
 3   He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him,
to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years
were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.
 4   I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given
authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded
because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They
had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark
on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with
Christ a thousand years.
 5   (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand
years were ended.) This is the first resurrection.
 6   Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The
second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God
and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.
 7   When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from
his prison
 8   and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the
earth--Gog and Magog--to gather them for battle. In number they are
like the sand on the seashore.
 9   They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded
the camp of God's people, the city he loves. But fire came down from
heaven and devoured them.
 10   And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of
burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They
will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
 11   Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it.
Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them.
 12   And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and
books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The
dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the
books.
 13   The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades
gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according
to what he had done.
 14   Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The
lake of fire is the second death.
 15   If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life,
he was thrown into the lake of fire.

LUK 16:19-31
 "There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and
lived in luxury every day.
 20   At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores
 21   and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even
the dogs came and licked his sores.
 22   "The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him
to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried.
 23   In hell, + Greek Hades + where he was in torment, he looked
up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.
 24   So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send
Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because
I am in agony in this fire.'
 25   "But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you
received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now
he is comforted here and you are in agony.
 26   And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been
fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can
anyone cross over from there to us.'
 27   "He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's
house,
 28   for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will
not also come to this place of torment.'
 29   "Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them
listen to them.'
 30   "'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead
goes to them, they will repent.'
 31   "He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they
will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "

MAT 22:1-14
 Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying:
 2   "The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding
banquet for his son.
 3   He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet
to tell them to come, but they refused to come.
 4   "Then he sent some more servants and said, 'Tell those who have
been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle
have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.'
 5   "But they paid no attention and went off--one to his field,
another to his business.
 6   The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them.
 7   The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers
and burned their city.
 8   "Then he said to his servants, 'The wedding banquet is ready,
but those I invited did not deserve to come.
 9   Go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you
find.'
 10   So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the
people they could find, both good and bad, and the wedding hall was
filled with guests.
 11   "But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man
there who was not wearing wedding clothes.
 12   'Friend,' he asked, 'how did you get in here without wedding
clothes?' The man was speechless.
 13   "Then the king told the attendants, 'Tie him hand and foot, and
throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and
gnashing of teeth.'
 14   "For many are invited, but few are chosen."

MAT 25:14-30
 "Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants
and entrusted his property to them.
 15   To one he gave five talents + A talent was worth more than a
thousand dollars. + of money, to another two talents, and to another
one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey.
 16   The man who had received the five talents went at once and put
his money to work and gained five more.
 17   So also, the one with the two talents gained two more.
 18   But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a
hole in the ground and hid his master's money.
 19   "After a long time the master of those servants returned and
settled accounts with them.
 20   The man who had received the five talents brought the other
five. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with five talents. See,
I have gained five more.'
 21   "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant!
You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge
of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'
 22   "The man with the two talents also came. 'Master,' he said,
'you entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.'
 23   "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant!
You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge
of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'
 24   "Then the man who had received the one talent came. 'Master,'
he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have
not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed.
 25   So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground.
See, here is what belongs to you.'
 26   "His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew
that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered
seed?
 27   Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the
bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with
interest.
 28   "'Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the
ten talents.
 29   For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an
abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from
him.
 30   And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness,
where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

MAT 25:31-46
 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him,
he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory.
 32   All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate
the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from
the goats.
 33   He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
 34   "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who
are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared
for you since the creation of the world.
 35   For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty
and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited
me in,
 36   I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked
after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
 37   "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see
you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?
 38   When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing
clothes and clothe you?
 39   When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
 40   "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did
for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
 41   "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you
who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his
angels.
 42   For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty
and you gave me nothing to drink,
 43   I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes
and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not
look after me.'
 44   "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or
thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and
did not help you?'
 45   "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not
do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'
 46   "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous
to eternal life."
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>