[net.religion] Freedom

laura@utcsstat.UUCP (07/12/83)

It is difficult to know where brainwashing begins, and teaching ends.
If I teach my (theoretical) kids what I feel is true and correct about
the world then I am doing the best I can. If this includes respect for
the scientific method, then this is a good thing; if this includes a
respect for other people such that my children would not approve of
slavery even if living in a country which practiced slavery then this
is a good thing. Why is it a bad thing when what I believe to be true
and correct happens to be a religion?

When your children get older they can all come to their own conclusions anyway.

Mine are very different from that of either of my parents, for instance.
Both of my parents have tired to bring me up according to what they felt
was right, which included two (different, but both Christian) religions.
I now feel that neither of them is "correct" in their beliefs but I would
feel that THEY thought that they were wrong in their beliefs if they had
not tried to teach them to me. Of course, religion at our house was not the
sort of thing that was only brought out on Sundays and Holy Days, and
discussions of the merits of various religions (or various dogma within
a religion) was always open ground for discussion. My mother is a staunch
supporter of the Catholic Church, which is reasonable, since she honestly
believes in this religion. I dont understand how a "believer" could *not*
raise their children in their faith, since if is important to him (and
for some religious, the religion is the most important aspect of his life)
it ought to follow (given his reasoning which included the belief) that it is
important for the children as well.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!utcsstat!laura

I believe that this discussion about the possible justification for limiting
freedoms belongs where it is, in net.philosophy. However, I have also
posted this to net.religion. If enough people get upset about the mention
of religion we can all move back to net.religion.

laura

gordon@uw-june (Gordon Davisson) (08/30/86)

In article <117@omepd> max@omepd.UUCP (Max Webb) writes:
>*flame on*
>Mr Zimmerman is indulging in what we in the midwest used to call 'bear-baiting'.
>the making of outrageous statements (i believe some of them are technically
>blasphemy - i know it doesn't bother him) in order to enrage his opponents in
>debate. Used to do it myself. Keep talking, dude; someday you may regret this
>endless stream of contempt for One, whom, no matter what you claim, has some
>chance of existing and being righteous.
>*flame off*

I don't think Paul should be too worried.  If God either doesn't exist or
doesn't control what happens to us after death, the issue is rather moot.
Even if God does exist and control the afterlife, all Paul's done is examine
the evidence available to him (incomplete and inconsistent as it is), and
reach what he thinks is the most reasonable conclusion about God based on
it.  If he's wrong, and God is a reasonable fellow, then why would a
reasonable God want to punish him for that?

On the other hand, if God is egotistical, petty, and vindictive enough, He
probably will subject Paul to eternal torture.  The question Paul faces in
this case is which is more important to him: his comfort, or his integrity.
He would seem to have chosen the second, and I must applaud his bravery in
doing so.

(Um, well, ok, maybe he's not quite as brave as all that.  With a God like
that, Paul's not likely to escape torture just by knuckling under and
worshipping...  A God like that's likely to torture him anyway, because
his skin's the wrong color, or he has a funny accent, or he puts on his
shoes in the wrong order.  Or even just because his great-to-the-N'th
grandparents once disobeyed Him by eating an apple...  So since he probably
doesn't have anything to lose, why not stand up for what he believes in?)

I have a question for you, Max: Why do you worship God?  Is it because you
think he's an All Right Guy (or some stronger version therof), or because
you're afraid of what he might do to you if you don't worship him?  If the
latter is the case, I must say that I find Paul's term 'whorshipper'
singularly appropriate.

--
Human:    Gordon Davisson
ARPA:     gordon@uw-june.ARPA

There are no physicists in the hottest parts of hell, because the existance
of a 'hottest part' implies a temperature difference, and any marginally
competent physicist would immediately use this to run a heat engine and
make some other part of hell comfortably cool.  This is obviously impossible.
				-- Richard Davisson

max@omepd (Max Webb) (09/01/86)

In article <> gordon@uw-june.UUCP (Gordon Davisson) writes:
>In article <117@omepd> max@omepd.UUCP (Max Webb) writes:
>>*flame on*
>>Mr Zimmerman is indulging in what we in the midwest used to call 'bear-baiting'.
>Even if God does exist and control the afterlife, all Paul's done is examine
>the evidence available to him (incomplete and inconsistent as it is), and
>reach what he thinks is the most reasonable conclusion about God based on
>it.  If he's wrong, and God is a reasonable fellow, then why would a
>reasonable God want to punish him for that?

Either you haven't read my reply to gary, or it hasn't reached you. The
implication was not that Paul is headed to hell. The implication is that
his viewpoint might change and he might regret this game of 'bearbaiting'.
After all, i find it hard to believe that Paul really believes that God exists
as the 'damager god'. If at some time, he should change his mind about the
existence of a good God, and arrive at a different understanding of the
motives attributed to Him in the bible, then paul will regret the fact that
he has poured out screen after screen of namecalling of God. As i posted
in my reply to Gary, i doubt if there is 'regret' in hell. Regret, on some
level, implies repentance, and repentance  implies the presence of God in
the conscience, whereas Hell is simply the eternal version of life without
God. I suspect, that in hell there will not be regret, but self-justification
and the kind of name-calling of God.

>On the other hand, if God is egotistical, petty, and vindictive enough, He
>probably will subject Paul to eternal torture.  The question Paul faces in
>this case is which is more important to him: his comfort, or his integrity.
>He would seem to have chosen the second, and I must applaud his bravery in
>doing so.

I would say that Paul seems to have chosen an effective way of attacking
christians, by slandering something they love, more than their church, more
(if they are christians) than themselves. I wonder if that isn't the real
reason for his posting - to arouse the response - rather than a real belief
in the sadism of God. I understand the motive - as i clearly stated, i used
to do it myself.

>I have a question for you, Max: Why do you worship God?  Is it because you
>think he's an All Right Guy (or some stronger version therof), or because
>you're afraid of what he might do to you if you don't worship him?  If the
>latter is the case, I must say that I find Paul's term 'whorshipper'
>singularly appropriate.
>Human:    Gordon Davisson

Ignoring the personal attack, i worship him the same way i draw near to
a fire when i am cold. He is the source of all life and truth.
To hate him is dry up and die, to cut off your own source of life.

And that is why it is so meaningless to talk about God arbitrarily throwing
people into hell. When i stay out of the sun, why does the sun punish me
by taking my tan away?

Here, in time, we have a choice, because things/people change. In eternity,
nothing changes. So if you go out filled with hate and closed off to God
He has no way to help you - you shall have to starve without Him forever.

	Max

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Ken Arromdee) (09/03/86)

>>>Mr Zimmerman is indulging in what we in the midwest used to call 'bear-baiting'.
>>Even if God does exist and control the afterlife, all Paul's done is examine
>>the evidence available to him (incomplete and inconsistent as it is), and
>>reach what he thinks is the most reasonable conclusion about God based on
>>it.  If he's wrong, and God is a reasonable fellow, then why would a
>>reasonable God want to punish him for that?
>
>Either you haven't read my reply to gary, or it hasn't reached you. The
>implication was not that Paul is headed to hell. The implication is that
>his viewpoint might change and he might regret this game of 'bearbaiting'.
>After all, i find it hard to believe that Paul really believes that God exists
>as the 'damager god'.

I find it hard to believe that Jesus was actually God or was born of a
virgin.  But I am aware that other people do hold the belief even though I
consider it absurd, and I do not assume that anyone who claims to hold that
belief doesn't really believe it.  This is known as "religious tolerance".
Why don't you seem to tolerate Paul's?

>I would say that Paul seems to have chosen an effective way of attacking
>christians, by slandering something they love, more than their church, more
>(if they are christians) than themselves. I wonder if that isn't the real
>reason for his posting - to arouse the response - rather than a real belief
>in the sadism of God. I understand the motive - as i clearly stated, i used
>to do it myself.

Here we go again.  If Paul believes what he is saying, he isn't "slandering"
anyone.  It seems as though you are projecting your own motives on someone
else; just because you used to do it yourself for selfish reasons doesn't mean
that everyone else who does the same thing does it for the same reasons.

>Ignoring the personal attack, i worship him the same way i draw near to
>a fire when i am cold. He is the source of all life and truth.
>To hate him is dry up and die, to cut off your own source of life.

It sounds as though you are saying that if you hate God, you will die.
Please clarify this; I have no idea what you're really trying to say here.
--
Kenneth Arromdee                                               |      |
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM, INS_AKAA at JHUVMS                 -|------|-