[net.religion] Banning books, religion etc...

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (08/29/86)

[moved here from net.books]
From: stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman):
>In article <406@cbuxc.UUCP>, dtm@cbuxc.UUCP (Dattaram Mirvke) writes:
>> coming for the movie '2010'. I was really amazed when he told me that he did
>> not "want" to see this movie, since it happened to contain something that
>> offended his religion. It seems that these guys had some kind of committee in
>> their church that screened various movies released and then 'informed' the
>> church members about the suitability of viewing the movies. Sort of an internal
>> censor board.. This thing occurred to me as very odd. It seems that these so
>
>I also did not want to see the movie.  I heard nothing from a church,
>committee, etc.  However, the commercials for the movie turned my
>stomach, hence my lack of desire to see the movie.  Having watched
>2001 did not help any.  Why do I find such movies disgusting?  Well,
>that is a discussion for net.religion.

	Now that the discussion's been moved here, I hope you
will see fit to expand on the points you make. I have a couple of
questions.

>I will just say that they belong
>to a genre which present Mankind as evolving to higher and higher states.
>(This is often called Humanism).  I find this concept arrogant and foolish
>whether viewed from a christian or existential standpoint.

	Why? Oh, I can see that it runs counter to creationist
dogma, but most Xians, and presumably all existentialists, are
not creationists. I fail to find anything anti-religious in the
notion that human evolution has not stopped with the current
model. Arrogant? How so? If anything, the admission that the
human race could stand some improvement shows an admirable humility.
	What I *do* find a bit arrogant and foolish is the desire
to avoid being presented with ideas with which one does not
agree. Arrogant, because it suggests that one's ideas are
incapable of further refinement, and foolish because it inhibits
such refinement.
	Whatever one thinks of the idea of the continuing
evolution of our species, one should certainly favor the
continuing evolution of our ideas. One need not accept the
notions expressed in 2001/2010 in order to benefit from the
stimulation provided by interesting ideas entertainingly presented.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	ELECTRIC AVENUE: {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames!barry

stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (08/31/86)

In article <1637@ames.UUCP>, barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:

> 	Now that the discussion's been moved here, I hope you
> will see fit to expand on the points you make. I have a couple of
> questions.

First the questions:

> >I will just say that they belong
> >to a genre which present Mankind as evolving to higher and higher states.
> >(This is often called Humanism).  I find this concept arrogant and foolish
> >whether viewed from a christian or existential standpoint.

> 	Why? Oh, I can see that it runs counter to creationist
> dogma, but most Xians, and presumably all existentialists, are
> not creationists. I fail to find anything anti-religious in the
> notion that human evolution has not stopped with the current
> model. Arrogant? How so? If anything, the admission that the
> human race could stand some improvement shows an admirable humility.

A christian does (should?) not accept Humanism because it tries to
improve the human race without God.  Trying to run our lives without
consulting the manufacturer or His intructions is how we got
into such a mess in the first place!

An existentialist does (should?) not accept Humanism because he knows
that any supposed 'improvement' is illusory.

Why I don't diet exclusively on garbage:

> 	What I *do* find a bit arrogant and foolish is the desire
> to avoid being presented with ideas with which one does not
> agree. Arrogant, because it suggests that one's ideas are
> incapable of further refinement, and foolish because it inhibits
> such refinement.

When I read that many people eat garbage to stay alive, I went out
to our garbage cans and looked at it, smelled, and put my finger in some
slime (I couldn't bring myself to actually taste it).  I wanted to
have some idea of what these people went through.  I don't, however,
ever eat garbage.  I might if I had to live in such conditions in order
to befriend and help the people,  but it would be foolish for me to
do so just for kicks.

When I first heard about the horror of pornography, I went out and
found a copy of Playboy.  I avoided the pictures (hoping to have a happy
marriage someday) and read several articles.  My conclusion: the articles
were typical of magazines and only occasionally disgusting.  People must
buy it for the pictures.  I have never since bothered reading (or looking
at) such magazines.  Do I need to keep looking at the latest issues to
see if anything has changed?  (Note, Playboy is considered very mild
pornography.  The real stuff is better compared with sewage than garbage.
I have just the word of my friends who try to help people on 14th street
in DC.  I feel no need at the moment to find out for myself.)

When I saw 2001, I enjoyed HAL and the gang.  The first part of the movie
was more enjoyable than the last.  At the end, it abandons traditional
storytelling and attempts to communicate Mankind's dream of becoming God
via disconnected but increasingly visionary scenes.  This last part is
difficult to enjoy without sharing the philosophy of the authors.  If
I was a full-time movie critic, I would probably see 2010.  Since I am
not, I only have time for a movie 2 or 3 times a year.  Based on the
advertising I simply decided that I would rather see a rerun of
'The Return of the Jedi' than see 2010.  (Note, the 'StarWars' series
also contains anti-christian elements, especially in 'The Empire Strikes
Back'.  Nevertheless I have found it consistently entertaining and
stimulating.)

Since I watch so few movies, perhaps a list of the ones I have seen
and would see again will attract some flames.  The more times I watched
it, the better I liked it.  This is not a complete list from a journal.
This is just what sticks in my conscious mind.

Mary Poppins	(5 times)
Sound of Music	(6 times, plus numerous TV reruns)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang	(uncountable TV reruns)
2001		(1 time)
The Cabaret	(-1 time, I wished I hadn't)
The Black Hole  (2 times)
StarWars	(4 times)
Empire Strikes Back	(1 time)
Return of the Jedi	(2 times)
The Last Starfighter	(1 time)
The Time Bandits	(2 times)
LadyHawk	(2 times)
The Gods must be Crazy!	(3 times)
Firefox		(1 time)
Chariots of Fire	(5 times) 	(despite my preference for
					 fantasy/sci-fi)
The Chosen	(1 time)

I have enjoyed using NewsNet immensely since going on-line several
weeks ago.  I quickly discovered, however, that one cannot read every
single article that comes in and expect to get anything else done.  For this
reason I began to unsubscribe to a number of groups.  In some cases,
the group was inherently worthless (e.g. net.jokes, talk.bizarre, FLAMES!).
In other cases, I simply was not 'into' the subject (e.g. net.sports).

"To fit everything into your schedule, you've got to be picky about
 what you do."  -- Stuart D. Gathman himself.

 "If it doesn't work, delete the offending code."
 	-- SDG on the art of programming.
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

za56@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Brian McNeill) (09/01/86)

I had hoped that you Xian's out there weren't still on the warpath
to censor things for our own "good".  Unfortunately, this response
is in response to just such an article.  Oh well, here goes.

In article <180@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
>In article <1637@ames.UUCP>, barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
>> >I will just say that they belong
>> >to a genre which present Mankind as evolving to higher and higher states.
>> >(This is often called Humanism).  I find this concept arrogant and foolish
>> >whether viewed from a christian or existential standpoint.
>
>> 	Why? Oh, I can see that it runs counter to creationist
>> dogma, but most Xians, and presumably all existentialists, are
>> not creationists. I fail to find anything anti-religious in the
>> notion that human evolution has not stopped with the current
>> model. Arrogant? How so? If anything, the admission that the
>> human race could stand some improvement shows an admirable humility.
>
>A christian does (should?) not accept Humanism because it tries to
>improve the human race without God.  Trying to run our lives without
>consulting the manufacturer or His intructions is how we got
>into such a mess in the first place!

Fine with you Xians...print up a blacklist or something, but banning
any (repeat ANY) books/movies infringes upon my 1st amendment rights
to free speech.  I (as an atheist) believe humanism is a quite valid
concept, and am quite capable of running my own life without
interference from some mythical "manufacturer."  Something you
should learn about being human is that the operating instructions
come built in (its called a BRAIN...get that?)

>An existentialist does (should?) not accept Humanism because he knows
>that any supposed 'improvement' is illusory.

Why is any supposed "improvement" illusory?  I have known many
existentialist who believed quite firmly in evolution...seems to me
thats a whole chain of "improvements", huh?

>Why I don't diet exclusively on garbage:
>
>> 	What I *do* find a bit arrogant and foolish is the desire
>> to avoid being presented with ideas with which one does not
>> agree. Arrogant, because it suggests that one's ideas are
>> incapable of further refinement, and foolish because it inhibits
>> such refinement.

I agree...terribly arrogant of you Xian's also to presume to know
what is better for my (nonexistent/unproven) soul.  I am quite
capable of making my own decision as to what I will/will not read,
and I feel that I am undoubtably the best judge of that.  Try
opening your mind sometime, and looking past the stone walls of your
Xian dogma.

>[irrevelent deleted]
>
>When I first heard about the horror of pornography, I went out and
>found a copy of Playboy.  I avoided the pictures (hoping to have a happy
>marriage someday) and read several articles.  My conclusion: the articles
>were typical of magazines and only occasionally disgusting.  People must
>buy it for the pictures.  I have never since bothered reading (or looking
>at) such magazines.  Do I need to keep looking at the latest issues to
>see if anything has changed?  (Note, Playboy is considered very mild
>pornography.  The real stuff is better compared with sewage than garbage.
>I have just the word of my friends who try to help people on 14th street
>in DC.  I feel no need at the moment to find out for myself.)

Why does looking at a picture of a [shudder] nude woman preclude a
happy marriage later on?  My parents have been together for close to
20 years now and, gosh, they must be unhappy together because my dad
reads Playboy every now and then :^)  Personally, I view the female
body as a work of art (PS: are you planning on banning daVinci
too?), and while I do agree with you that the "real stuff" is
garbage, I support other people's right to read it for the same
reason I think you are out of line here.  It is THEIR business what
they read, and they ought to know best what they want out of life.
It is not your business what they read, nor should you poke your
nose into it.  Censorship (of ANY kind) is a bad thing, as our
forefathers realized when they set out the constitution  (amendment
no 1 (ONE) is against censorship of any kind).

>When I saw 2001, I enjoyed HAL and the gang.  The first part of the movie
>was more enjoyable than the last.  At the end, it abandons traditional
>storytelling and attempts to communicate Mankind's dream of becoming God
>via disconnected but increasingly visionary scenes.  This last part is
>difficult to enjoy without sharing the philosophy of the authors.  If
>I was a full-time movie critic, I would probably see 2010.  Since I am
>not, I only have time for a movie 2 or 3 times a year.  Based on the
>advertising I simply decided that I would rather see a rerun of
>'The Return of the Jedi' than see 2010.  (Note, the 'StarWars' series
>also contains anti-christian elements, especially in 'The Empire Strikes
>Back'.  Nevertheless I have found it consistently entertaining and
>stimulating.)

Awwww!  Anti-Xian elements.  Poor baby.  If you think it offends
you, don't see it.  I happen to like opposing viewpoints.  It adds
spice to life.  If everybody agreed with me, well, I'd be awfully
bored awfully quickly (not to mention these nets wouldn't exist).
It's good for you to see different sides of life.  If you only
experience one side of life, you are limiting yourself to something
much less than what you could be.  The reason why one of the few
documents from the 1st millenium is the Bible is because the church
took over and instituted a "purge" wherein all non-Xian documents
were destroyed, as well as most non-Xian's (hear about the
Crusades?)  Guess why the Church was all-powerful during the middle
ages?  Because of the above purge. Why?  Because the people had no
exposure to anything non-Xian (fortunately, this changed).  Note
that the middle ages were one of the most stagnant in all ways
non-Xian (no technology, little non-Xian artwork, slavery rampant,
power concentrated COMPLETELY in the hands of the Church and nobles,
etc)

>[List of movies he's seen deleted]
>[deleted stuff]
>--
>Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

NO! NO! Please don't cens[censored]

/-----------------------------------------------------------\
| Brian McNeill        ARPA :           za56@sdcc3.ucsd.edu |
| HASA "A" Division    UUCP :  ...!sdcsvax!sdcc6!sdcc3!za56 |
|-----------------------------------------------------------|
| Disclaimer: I hereby disclaim all knowledge of opinions,  |
|   expressed or implied, including this disclaimer.        |
| Flames ---> /dev/null                                     |
\-----------------------------------------------------------/

speter@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Peter Osgood) (09/02/86)

>In article <180@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
>>In article <1637@ames.UUCP>, barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
>
>A christian does (should?) not accept Humanism because it tries to
>improve the human race without God.

Who says so?  Are they necessarily mutually exclusive or is it just that
you are totally prejudiced against the idea that a real Christian could
be a humanist as well??

>An existentialist does (should?) not accept Humanism because he knows
>that any supposed 'improvement' is illusory.

Okay, before we go any further, a humanist according to Webster's New
World dictionary is "a student of human nature and human affairs 2. a
follower of Humanism."  Humanism: "2.  . . . specificly a modern,
non-theistic, rationalist movement that holds man is capable of
self-fulfillment."

Even by definition, a humanist does not necessarily leave God out.  It
is simply a statement of belief.  But this does not explain why you
believe a trancendentalist would reject humanism.

I do not necessarily ascribe to Humanism, but I would like you to explain
yourself further.  Simply rejecting an idea without good reason is bad.

				---peter osgood---

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (09/03/86)

In article <180@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:

On why, having seen 2001, he deliberately missed 2010:

>> >I will just say that they belong
>> >to a genre which present Mankind as evolving to higher and higher states.
>> >(This is often called Humanism).  I find this concept arrogant and foolish
>> >whether viewed from a christian or existential standpoint.
>A christian does (should?) not accept Humanism because it tries to
>improve the human race without God.  Trying to run our lives without
>consulting the manufacturer or His intructions is how we got
>into such a mess in the first place!
>
>Why I don't diet exclusively on garbage:
>
>> 	What I *do* find a bit arrogant and foolish is the desire
>> to avoid being presented with ideas with which one does not
>> agree. Arrogant, because it suggests that one's ideas are
>> incapable of further refinement, and foolish because it inhibits
>> such refinement.  [Kenn Barry]
>
>When I read that many people eat garbage to stay alive, I went out
>to our garbage cans and looked at it, smelled, and put my finger in some
>slime (I couldn't bring myself to actually taste it).  I wanted to
>have some idea of what these people went through.  I don't, however,
>ever eat garbage.  I might if I had to live in such conditions in order
>to befriend and help the people,  but it would be foolish for me to
>do so just for kicks.

In other words, you avoid exposure to the ideas of what you call
"Humanism" because they disgust you -- or, more accurately, because
you react to them with disgust.

I read sometime within the last two years, of an experiment that was
done, trying to get children to drink milk in which a dead fly
(sterilized, of course) had been openly placed.  Younger children drank
the milk with the fly in it.  Older children turned it down, looking
disgusted.

The point?  We aren't born with a natural disgust towards dead flies,
we *learn* it.  Our parents teach us disgust in other ways, eg. "Don't
put that dirty thing in your mouth! Gak! Caca!" And more subtly, if your
parents always use a tone of disgust when they speak of something, such
as atheists or humanists, you acquire the habit from them, and for the
rest of your life you unthinkingly react to atheistic and humanistic
ideas with disgust.

Of course, since you react with disgust whenever you are confronted by
certain ideas contrary to your religion, you are unable to examine
those ideas to see if they are true or not.  If, God forbid, some of
your good Christian principles are mistaken and the damned humanists
are right about some things, you will never know, because you
automatically censor your inputs.  You have been conditioned, just like
Skinner's pigeons and Pavlov's dogs.  Or, perhaps, programmed is the
right word...
--
David Canzi			"... don't see the fnords ..."

mikem@heurikon.UUCP (mikem) (09/03/86)

In a discussion on censorship I ran accross the following statement
by za56@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Brian McNeill):

> Fine with you Xians...print up a blacklist or something, but banning
                                                               ^^^^^^^
> any (repeat ANY) books/movies infringes upon my 1st amendment rights
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> to free speech.  I (as an atheist) believe humanism is a quite valid

If a book I write is banned, then MY first ammendment right to free
speech has been violated.  If a book YOU have written is banned, then
YOUR first ammendment right to free speech has been violated.

The first ammendment does not say that you have the right to read whatever
you want.  It says that you have the right to write whatever you
want.  (You can get in trouble if you libel someone, however).
In the first case someone would have to be coerced into writing
for you if what you wanted to read hadn't been written.  This would
be violating their rights.

This is a very important distinction.

(By "write" I mean speech, print, movies, etc.)

                                    Michael W. Mayer

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (09/04/86)

From: stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman):
>In article <1637@ames.UUCP>, barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
>>From: stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman):
>> >I will just say that they belong
>> >to a genre which present Mankind as evolving to higher and higher states.
>> >(This is often called Humanism).  I find this concept arrogant and foolish
>> >whether viewed from a christian or existential standpoint.
>
>> 	Why? Oh, I can see that it runs counter to creationist
>> dogma, but most Xians, and presumably all existentialists, are
>> not creationists. I fail to find anything anti-religious in the
>> notion that human evolution has not stopped with the current
>> model. Arrogant? How so? If anything, the admission that the
>> human race could stand some improvement shows an admirable humility.
>
>A christian does (should?) not accept Humanism because it tries to
>improve the human race without God.  Trying to run our lives without
>consulting the manufacturer or His intructions is how we got
>into such a mess in the first place!

	Is everything that doesn't involve God explicitly anti-religious?
If Clarke speculates about mankind evolving to higher states without
God's direct help, does his vision exclude the possibility of God being
around, too? Are airplanes sinful because God was not consulted about
their development?

>An existentialist does (should?) not accept Humanism because he knows
>that any supposed 'improvement' is illusory.

	Since I'm not an existentialist, I'll do the sensible thing and
let them speak for themselves. You might consider doing the same.

>Why I don't diet exclusively on garbage:

	Glad to see you're being objective :-).

>> 	What I *do* find a bit arrogant and foolish is the desire
>> to avoid being presented with ideas with which one does not
>> agree. Arrogant, because it suggests that one's ideas are
>> incapable of further refinement, and foolish because it inhibits
>> such refinement.
>
>When I read that many people eat garbage to stay alive, I went out
>to our garbage cans and looked at it, smelled, and put my finger in some
>slime (I couldn't bring myself to actually taste it).  I wanted to
>have some idea of what these people went through.  I don't, however,
>ever eat garbage.  I might if I had to live in such conditions in order
>to befriend and help the people,  but it would be foolish for me to
>do so just for kicks.

	Bad analogy. People only eat garbage out of desperation, though
some eat things that might disgust *us* (slugs, grubs, insects), with
delight. And they seem healthy. Many follow humanistic philosophies
willingly and happily; why not just say it's not to *your* taste?

>When I first heard about the horror of pornography, I went out and
>found a copy of Playboy.  I avoided the pictures (hoping to have a happy
>marriage someday) and read several articles.  My conclusion: the articles
>were typical of magazines and only occasionally disgusting.  People must
>buy it for the pictures.

	It has enough besides the pictures for a lot of women to enjoy
it. And if some buy it for the pictures, so what? I've yet to hear of
Playboy's pictures destroying a marriage; by contrast, I *have* heard
of marriages destroyed by religion, when one partner becomes "born again",
and the other doesn't. Which do you suppose is a bigger threat to marriages,
oral sex or Oral Roberts? :-)

>When I saw 2001, I enjoyed HAL and the gang.  The first part of the movie
>was more enjoyable than the last.  At the end, it abandons traditional
>storytelling and attempts to communicate Mankind's dream of becoming God
>via disconnected but increasingly visionary scenes.  This last part is
>difficult to enjoy without sharing the philosophy of the authors.  If
>I was a full-time movie critic, I would probably see 2010.  Since I am
>not, I only have time for a movie 2 or 3 times a year.

	Sorry you're unable to see more movies. I think the ending of
2001 is easier to understand if you also read the book. From what I know
of Clarke's philosophy, "becoming God" in any literal sense is not his
message. Becoming better than we are, is. I suspect there's a lot of
room for improvement of humanity without invading God's turf. We're a
long way from perfect.
	In any case, my intent was not to dispute your taste in movies.
What seemed odd to me was avoiding movies (or books) because one simply
disagreed with the philosophy in them. I'm a big Heinlein fan, myself,
even though I have many disagreements with the political philosophy he
presents. I find the differences of opinion thought-provoking, not
offensive.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	ELECTRIC AVENUE:	 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,nsc,hao,hplabs}!ames!barry

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (09/05/86)

In article <180@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
>When I first heard about the horror of pornography, I went out and
>found a copy of Playboy.  I avoided the pictures (hoping to have a happy
>marriage someday) and read several articles.  My conclusion: the articles
>were typical of magazines and only occasionally disgusting.  People must
>buy it for the pictures. ...

If Playboy's articles are typical of other magazines, and people only
buy Playboy for the pictures, then why do people buy other magazines?
--
David Canzi			"... don't see the fnords ..."

speter@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Peter Osgood) (09/05/86)

In article <136@heurikon.UUCP> mikem@heurikon.UUCP (mikem) writes:
>In a discussion on censorship I ran accross the following statement
>by za56@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Brian McNeill):
>
>The first ammendment does not say that you have the right to read whatever
>you want.
>                                    Michael W. Mayer

Why do you think the Scopes trial was held then??  It was because a
certain school district took great exception to a public school teacher
teaching Darwin and his theories on evolution.  Since Darwin and the
Bible don't match up the religous leaders, and many others of the day,
were certain that it was ruinous to teach children such things.  The
idea was to ban the book, ban the thought.  Furthermore, the Supreme
Court's rulings on pornography in the late 60's, early 70's furthered
the idea the we do indeed have the right to read what we wish.  There
are certain exceptions, but they are very few in number.

So, what does all this mean?  Certain religous leaders would love to
see many types of books banned: ie. psychology, heredity, anthropology,
"Lady Chatterly's Lover," "Splendor in the Grass," "Tom Jones,"
the Koran, etc. etc.  This is nothing more censorship.  Marxist
societies thrive on censorship, but to maintain a free society which
supports practicing many diverse religons openly, we cannot allow more
than very minimal censorship (child pornography, slander).

If we allow any one religous group to dictate what is right and what is
wrong then we are in grave danger of forfeiting those very freedoms which
the founders of this country worked so very hard to achieve.

Jesus lead by example.  He always had the power to change government but
He said that we should give to Ceasar those things which are Ceasar's.  He
never forced His beliefs on anyone, He wanted people to follow Him because
they wanted to not because they were forced to.

The moral of all this is, if you want to get things out of print that
you believe are harmful then you must speak out against them, show how
you are unequivocavely correct, convince people that they do not want
to read such things.  If you are right and convincing, you will win, no
one will buy the book and it will go out of print.  Censorship only
makes people want the "forbidden fruit" that much more.

				---peter osgood---

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (09/06/86)

In article <180@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP writes:

> A christian does (should?) not accept Humanism because it tries to
> improve the human race without God.  Trying to run our lives without
> consulting the manufacturer or His intructions is how we got
> into such a mess in the first place!

Perhaps you can answer a question which has always puzzled me.  Assuming
that you do not take everything in the bible literally (which would be
difficult, since some of it seems contradictory), why must you assume
that evolution is not part of God's plan.  Whether he created us ten
seconds ago or ten million years ago isn't really relevant.  What is
apparent is that evolution *seems* reasonable.  Could it not be, therefore,
that evolution (or the appearence of evolution) is part of God's plan
as well?  Or do you consider it a trick?

> An existentialist does (should?) not accept Humanism because he knows
> that any supposed 'improvement' is illusory.

Unless you presuppose to know everything that God has in mind, how can
you argue that God did not intend you as a person, and us as a race,
to improve.  I don't see why evolution as the medium for that improvement
is contradictory to christian teachings.

> I avoided the pictures (hoping to have a happy
> marriage someday)

This implies that you feel that viewing a picture might morally corrupt
or otherwise permanently effect your life.  Do you really feel that
you have so little control over your life that what you see could damage
it?

Please don't take this as flame-baiting.  I'm honestly quite curious.

                                             -kee

--

        ...{mit-erl,mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver,decvax!wanginst}!apollo!nazgul
               Apollo Computer, Chelmsford MA.  (617) 256-6600 x7587

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

za56@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Brian McNeill) (09/06/86)

In article <136@heurikon.UUCP> mikem@heurikon.UUCP (mikem) writes:

>[Deleted my discussion on book banning]
>
>The first ammendment does not say that you have the right to read whatever
>you want.  It says that you have the right to write whatever you
>want.  (You can get in trouble if you libel someone, however).
>In the first case someone would have to be coerced into writing
>for you if what you wanted to read hadn't been written.  This would
>be violating their rights.

Fine.  But banning books infringes upon their first amendment
rights, therefore, their rights are being violated if I cannot
read/see their material.  This is, to me, a trivial distinction,
as rights ARE rights, regardless of whose they are.

>This is a very important distinction.

Not really.  It infringes on SOMEBODY's rights, and therefore shoul
not be allowed to come to pass (I hope these Funnymentalists get
nailed in Tenessee, but I suspect they won't, oh well)

/-----------------------------------------------------------\
| Brian McNeill        ARPA :           za56@sdcc3.ucsd.edu |
| HASA "A" Division    UUCP :  ...!sdcsvax!sdcc6!sdcc3!za56 |
|-----------------------------------------------------------|
| Disclaimer: I hereby disclaim all knowledge of opinions,  |
|   expressed or implied, including this disclaimer.        |
| Flames ---> /dev/null                                     |
\-----------------------------------------------------------/

stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (09/07/86)

I am pleased to see a plethora of response to my article on discrimination
in entertainment.  Now let me blow your minds further by extending the
discussion to truth in general.

I belong to an ancient sect which believes, among other things, in absolute
truth.  This means that any problem discussed on the net has a correct
answer: not necessarily any of the answers proposed by net readers, myself
included.  There are a number of consequences to this absurd belief of
which the following are an incomplete list.

a	In order to be meaningful (to us), truth must be available
	to us in some way.

b	"It doesn't matter what you believe, as long as you're sincere"
	-- this is a deadly philosophy.

c	Information is not of uniform value.  The 1979 telephone book
	for Northern Virginia is probably 99.99% accurate (for 1979).
	Perhaps I should memorize it to improve my personal grasp
	on truth.  :-)

d	Rational government does not obey the whims of a dictator, or the
	whims of a majority, but is based on law.  (This means that
	many discussions in net.abortion and net.politics would have
	been moot 200 years ago and seem ludicrous to members of our sect.)

e	Some good things are more valuable than others.  Watching a movie
	every night can be very educational, but will have tragic results
	unless you make your living as a critic.  (Question: Why do we
	have movie critics?  Could it have anything to do with (c) or (e)?)

Eating garbage:

	Here is a better analogy.  I love (adore) potato chips.
	      (Especially with sour cream and onion.)
	What would happen if I gave in to my desires and ate
	nothing but potato chips?

Closed Minds:

	I have already read countless books by humanists and new-agers.
	I don't need one more movie to round out my knowlege of their thinking.

Existentialists:

	I have read many books by Camus, Kaftka, et al.  My own impressions
	and those of analysts of literature agree in placing existentialists
	with the writer of Ecclesiastes.  There are, of course, many more
	schools of thought which call themselves "existential".  This is
	because true existentialism has a reputation from ancient times
	for consistent (if somewhat depressing) world views.

Christians:

	"Man is capable of self-fulfillment [without God]."
	-- this statement is the antithesis of Biblical christianity.
	(James 4:13-17, Job 38, Psalm 2, Genesis 3, etc.  Please read
	in context: apologies for lengthy quotations in previous
	articles.  I got carried away with my online bible
	[from Bible Research, Inc., $150, software adapted
	for unix by yours truly.])
--
"Wherefore, laying aside every weight, let us run with discipline the
race that is set before us."

In article <2516@watdcsu.UUCP>, dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) writes:

> If Playboy's articles are typical of other magazines, and people only
> buy Playboy for the pictures, then why do people buy other magazines?

Ya got me!

(There are exceptions to the "generic magazine" category.)
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

cc@locus.ucla.edu (Oleg "Kill the bastards" Kiselev) (09/08/86)

In article <191@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
>Now let me blow your minds further by extending the
>discussion to truth in general.

If I wanted to be rude, I'd say "you exhibit all signs of having undergone the
process yourself!", BUT... I want to be nice today. Or, I could say "what
blows the lesser minds is but a caress to some!", BUT... that would be nasty
and I DO want to be nice today... I guess I'll just let this pass. And be nice
for the duration of this whole article.

>I belong to an ancient sect which believes, among other things, in absolute
>truth.

And I belong to a MORE ancient sect that believes, among other things, that
the idea of absolute truth is absolutely absurd.

>a	In order to be meaningful (to us), truth must be available
>	to us in some way.

Verifyability never enters the play, I see. What is the available truth about
Hell, or Paradise?

>c	Information is not of uniform value.  The 1979 telephone book
>	for Northern Virginia is probably 99.99% accurate (for 1979).
>	Perhaps I should memorize it to improve my personal grasp
>	on truth.  :-)

Hmmm.... Sounds like an indictment of the Bible to me... After all, 1979
phone book will be over 50% accurate in 1986 in most areas. Not so after
1700-1800 years.

>Closed Minds:
>	I have already read countless books by humanists and new-agers.
>	I don't need one more movie to round out my knowlege of their thinking.

Ever tried reading them with an open mind? Ever tried to understand them?
A closed mind is not a sign of great virtue, despite your misconceptions.
>	"Man is capable of self-fulfillment [without God]."
>	-- this statement is the antithesis of Biblical christianity.

The above quote needs no criticism, no flames, no questions. Those who
disagree with such mentality will understand. I find it simply evil.

---
"Untie a knot, tie a new knot..."
					Oleg Kiselev, HASA