[net.religion] Rowing through the fog

hydar@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Hydar) (09/01/86)

In article <3379@ism780c.UUCP> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>What's the big deal about "dying" to prove your love when you know you can
>come back from the grave at will?

	Getting nailed to a large block of wood is FUN?  (I'd be curious
   how you spend your weekends ...)

					|Dan|
      					"Rome was not destroyed in one day"

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (09/04/86)

>>What's the big deal about "dying" to prove your love when you know you can
>>come back from the grave at will?
>
>	Getting nailed to a large block of wood is FUN?  (I'd be curious
>   how you spend your weekends ...)

I didn't say it was fun!  Are you saying that if I say something that
you find hard to believe, and then someone decided to torture me, you
would then believe whatever I had said before I was tortured?
--
I admit it!  I don't believe in Mary Worth!  I Lied!  HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
		Delphi or GEnie: mnementh

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (09/05/86)

(   Note: I have broadened the newgroups to include net.jokes.
    Followupers may wish to renarrow the discussion to only jokes, or
    only serious discussion.  )

> hydar@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Hydar)
>> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith)

>>What's the big deal about "dying" to prove your love when you know you can
>>come back from the grave at will?
> Getting nailed to a large block of wood is FUN?  (I'd be curious
> how you spend your weekends ...)

"You know when you take one of them... uh..."
        "Big wooden crosses?"
"Yeah, that's it.  An' you get... uh..."
        "Some six-penny nails?"
"Yeah!  An' you drive the nails right through your palms...
 Oooooh that smarts!"
        "Yeah, I hate it when that happens!"
"But you know what *really* get's me is when you take one of... uh."
        "Them 'Crowns of Thorns'?"
"Yeah, right!  An' you put it *right* on yer *forehead*."
        "Boy, I know how that is... *that* really *smarts*!"
"Yeah, I *really* hate it when *that* happens!"
        "And them Centurions with the spears... talk about yer side-ache!"

--
"... and remember that King Kong died for your crimes..."
        --- from the _Schrodinger's_Cat_ series by Robert Anton Wilson

nikbek@ihlpa.UUCP (Moseley) (09/08/86)

> >>What's the big deal about "dying" to prove your love when you know you can
> >>come back from the grave at will?
> > Getting nailed to a large block of wood is FUN?  (I'd be curious
> > how you spend your weekends ...)
>
> "Yeah, that's it.  An' you get... uh..."
>         "Some six-penny nails?"
> "Yeah!  An' you drive the nails right through your palms...

I recall some studies which indicate that nails through the palms of
a person's hands will not support the person's weight. The nails
were actually driven through the wrists, which will  support a person's
weight. I also believe that posts were actually used. I'm not sure where
the idea of a cross came from.
					R. C. Moseley