[net.religion] one more time...

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (09/19/86)

[I've sent followup to talk.religion.misc; I hope that's ok and appropriate!]

In article <1309@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>> (I wrote...) There is only one unique
>> thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
>> religions: Jesus. No other religion has a central human figure ('prophet',
>> whatever you want to call it) who claimed to *be* God.
>
>This remark is just silly.  What do you think an *avatar* is?
>And much of Hindu thought is based on the concept of an avatar.

[see below for important statement regarding my qualifications in this
 discussion]
However, I find it hard to include the Hindu idea of 'God' here, since as far
as I can tell, being 'God' is nothing unique: Self (atman) is the same as
Ultimate Reality (Brahman), and Brahman is the supreme Lord (Isvara). In other
words, we *all* are God, according to Hinduism (if we can only achieve the
true knowledge).

I'll admit: I didn't make my statement very carefully. In any case, Jesus'
*claims* as to who he is aren't really important in and of themselves, except
that he thought it was important that we decide whether his claims were true,
and then act on that decision.

>When you make statements like this, you make intelligent people
>see your religion as being composed of either uneducated people
>(if you really haven't studied what you're talking about,)
that's me...
>fools (if you have been told but it just hasn't penetrated,) or liars
>(if you know but just don't care.)  It doesn't do your cause any
>good to be seen as any of the three.
>
>Perhaps you should educate yourself in comparative religion
>before you try to make any brilliant statements on the subject.

Sorry. I am *not* well educated in comparative religion. I have read some
pretty good books talking about Christianity vs. <whatever> in very general
terms, but haven't gone into it in great detail. Due to my lack of detailed
background knowledge, I didn't qualify my statement very carefully... I
guess it goes to show that general statements about complicated subjects
may contain some truth, but they also allow for lots of misinterpretation!
I'll try to stick to more well-defined in assertions in the future!
(And just so I can continue in this discussion, I went and read 50 pages
on Hinduism in a pretty good comparative religions book...I hope that
doesn't suddenly make me a fool or a liar! :-))

Maybe we can now move on to more central issues. Like, is there really any
hope of truly becoming one with God via any religion other than Christianity?
(including Science). Or... if we are to assume there is no God, then is there
any hope that humanity will improve itself? Is there evidence that we are
'improving' our lot as a species in the long run? Is there anything new under
the sun (new == real change for the better as people, not new==new and better
gadgets available to the rich of the world).

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014