[net.philosophy] mysticism vs. rationalism

rapaport@sunybcs.UUCP (William J. Rapaport) (01/31/84)

The following messages have been received and are being forwarded to
net.philosohy for public consumption:

>From rocksvax!rochester!seismo!harpo!floyd!akgua!psuvax!bobgian Thu Jan 26 22:55:02 1984
Date: 26 Jan 84 15:21:09 EST (Thu)
From: rochester!seismo!harpo!floyd!akgua!psuvax!bobgian
Subject: Re: AI & philosophy
Posted-Date: 26 Jan 84 15:21:09 EST (Thu)
Date-Sent: Thu Jan 26 12:04:21 1984\)To: akgua!clyde!floyd!harpo!seismo!rochester!rocksvax!sunybcs!rapaport
Apparently-To: rochester!rocksvax!sunybcs!rapaport

Why ISN'T mysticism "philosophy" and worthy of discussion in an AI/
Philosophy of AI discussion?

As I see it, AI (and especially my favorite subtopic, machine learning)
is VERY closely related to techniques for improving cognitive ablilities
in humans, and mysticism ranks high on that list.  Comments??

>From rapaport Tue Jan 31 12:16:46 1984
To: rocksvax!rochester!seismo!harpo!floyd!akgua!psuvax!bobgian
Cc: colonel

If we're going to discuss this, we had better define 'mysticism'.
I have in mind, roughly, non-rational theories and procedures.

>From colonel Tue Jan 31 13:43:14 1984
To: rapaport
Subject: AI & philosophy
Cc: rocksvax!rochester!seismo!harpo!floyd!akgua!psuvax!bobgian

If we're going to discuss this, we had better define 'rational'.
Does it mean Baconian? mechanistic? deterministi

unbent@ecsvax.UUCP (02/06/84)

<>
	Ah yes.  "Let us define our terms".

	Well, 'rational' at least has something to do with
*reasons*, and a reason is something other than what it's a
reason *for*.  'Rational', then, has to do with a discursive
synthesis, a relationship among *several* items (beliefs,
judgments, propositions, hypotheses, pieces of evidence, or
what have you).

	'Mysticism', on the other hand--at least as I'm
familiar with it--is constantly sending the message that
plurality or multiplicity is somehow an *illusion*.  Mysticism
insists on a *non-discursive* holism, a "whole" which is *not*
a synthesis of parts, but somehow given "all at once" and
*falsified* by analysis.

	The upshot is that it's kind of hard to have a
*discussion* with a mystic.  Discussion, conversation,
argument, and the like are, by their natures, discursive
enterprises.  What classical mystical literature keeps telling
us, however, is "don't talk; just be"--meditate, contemplate,
"feel the oneness", "grok essences", etc.  *Pace* the colonel,
one needn't be Baconian, mechanistic, or deterministic to be
'rational' (a 'rationalist').  One simply needs to be open to
engaging in discursive *reasoning*.  Some avowed mystics are.
Indeed, some avowed mystics purport to arrive at their
mysticism as the *conclusion* of reasoning or argumentation.
I love chatting with such chaps, but I can't pretend that I
understand them.  It always looks to me as though they're
contradicting themselves.  (And sometimes they even agree that
they *are*--but then, what's contradiction to a mystic?)

Yours for clearer concepts,
				--Jay Rosenberg
				(ecsvax!unbent)