[net.philosophy] Are All Paths Equal..

amra@ihuxj.UUCP (Steven L. Aldrich) (03/06/84)

         This was my original posting, I would like to summarize the responses
        I've received and try to explain (clarify) my purpose in posting the
        rather vague question.

          EVERYTHING BETWEEN THE "*"'s IS MY ORIGINAL POSTING.

       I would like to pose a question and see what others feel
      the possible answers are.

        The question is as follows:

         Are all paths equal if they lead to the same destination?

        If you have any input on this matter please post to the news
       group (net.philosophy) or send me mail at IHNP4!IHUXJ!AMRA.

         My reasons for posting are (were) as follows; 1) I felt the answer
        to the question was "NO THEY AREN'T" but wished to see what others
        felt the answer(s) were. 2) I was hoping to start a discussion on
        the concepts of "equal", "path(s)", "means of attaining a `goal or
        destination', etc. 3) I'm a very curious person who likes to ask
        alot of questions in the hope of cultivating some knowledge and/or
        information.

         The types of "paths" and "destinations/goals" I was mainly reffering
        to were as follows; 1) A person was planning a trip and trying to
        decide which route(s) to take to reach their destination. 2) Choosing
        from the alternative routes between computer systems on the net.
        3) deciding whether you would rather be paid in one commodity as
        opposed to another, (ie.. Getting paid in an Equal Amount of Gold/
        Silver/Paper money/Goods and/or Services. By "equal" I mean `having
        the same value or worth.)

         A couple people raised the point of "the ends justifying the means"
        or other such arguments as possible reasons for my posting. This wasn't
        the main thrust of my intent, but it is a valid point to make.

         I wish to thank everyone who has taken the time to answer my query.
        I really appreciate the time and effort you spent in posting your
        information. I will post some of the better responces below for
        everyones benefit. I hope you find them as interesting as I did.
        I have only included a few replies, which were sent by EMAIL.

         I hope the authors don't mind me posting their replies. If you
        are onr of the respondents please let me know if this bothers you
        I only wish to share the information you sent me. Please forgive
        me if you are bothered about seeing your response posted.

Date: 1 Mar 84 04:43:11 CST (Thu)
From: ihnp4!houxm!hoxna!frank
Apparently-To: !ihuxj!amra

        The question is as follows:

         Are all paths equal if they lead to the same destination?

         Are all ends equal if all paths are the same?
         How far apart is a path from its end?
         Path, end, equal are each only names.
         Tell me, right now, where is the path, where is the end.

                      frank

From **RJE** Wed Feb 29 15:58 CST 1984
>From **RJE** Wed Feb 29 15:58 CST 1984 forwarded by **RJE**
>From rsl Wed Feb 29 15:50:41 1984 remote from ihnss
steve,
"are all paths 'equal' if they lead to the same destination?"
You do realize the answer will depend on what you mean by 'equal'.
The general answer would have to be "no", since each different path
is 'different'.
Perhaps you should ponder what you mean by 'equal' and reask the
question more clearly(the type of 'path' and the category of the
'destination' also bare on the meaning of your question).
"There are no specific answers to to non-specific questions; meaning
_i_s meaning!"  "Confusion often lies in the question and not in the
lack of an answer."
Eudaemonia,		richard,again...

From uucp Thu Mar  1 03:25 CST 1984
Date: 1 Mar 84 03:25:29 CST (Thu)
From: ihnp4!uiucdcs!renner
To: ihnp4!ihuxj!amra
Subject: Are All Paths Equal...?

/***** uiucdcs:net.philosophy / ihuxj!amra /  9:50 pm  Feb 28, 1984 */
        The question is as follows:
         Are all paths equal if they lead to the same destination?

/*----------*/

No, of course not.  Some paths go through harpo!, and harpo! doesn't
(or at least didn't use to) forward mail.

You can quote me on this, if you really want to.

Scott Renner
{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!renner

From uucp Mon Mar  5 06:55 CST 1984
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 84 00:03:29 ast
From: ihnp4!decvax!dartvax!dalcs!z007 (Bruce Hudson)
To: dartvax!decvax!harpo!ihnp4!ihuxj!amra
Subject: Re: Are All Paths Equal...?

I am not sure that I fully understand the nature of your question
but here goes...

   To properly compare two or more paths, one must consider the effects
of following that path. Obviously, the primary effect of a path if that
you arrive at your destination. To ask if all paths which achieve this
are equivalent, one must examine other side effects of the specific
paths. For example, consider messages on this net - two paths are not
necessarily equal since there is a cost side effect to consider. A path
which reaches the destination at a lower cost is better.

   I hope this provides some assistance.

         Bruce Hudson     (dalcs!z007)
         Dalhousie University

From uucp Sat Mar  3 19:29 CST 1984
Date: 3 Mar 84 19:29:11 CST (Sat)
From: ihnp4!utzoo!laura
To: ihnp4!ihuxj!amra

This depends on whether you view life as a process or not. I do. Therefore
the accumulation of experience is often what counts the most. Therefore
all paths are not equal. However, if you include experience in the idea
of "getting to the same destination" I would counter that "you never can
get to the same destination by 2 different paths" only possibly 2 that
you are unable to distinguish between, which says more about your powers
of introspection and observation than anything else.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

From ihnp4!harpo!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!unbent Wed Dec 31 18:00:00 1969
From: unbent@ecsvax.UUCP
Date: Thu, 1-Mar-84 08:01:35 CST

The commonsensical answer is:  No.  Some paths are longer than others.
Evidently something else (something "deeper"?) was intended.
How about a clue for us poor, literal-minded philosophers as to what it was.
		--Jay Rosenberg   (...mcnc!ecsvax!unbent)

From ihnp4!harpo!decvax!ittvax!wxlvax!awex Wed Dec 31 18:00:00 1969
Newsgroups: net.philosophy
Date: Mon, 5-Mar-84 23:55:17 CST

The answer, quite simply is "NO."  Why?  Now, that's a bit tougher.  You see,
it has to do with this Zen koan, which is notoriously hard to explain:

	"To re-cross is not to cross again."

In essence, every action is unique, and it has a unique effect on the actor.
Therefore, even though I may arrive at the same destination by two paths, it
is not the same ME who arrives.  Each me has had different experiences, and
is thereby altered.  Therefore, the paths (though they end up in the same
place) are different by virtue of their different 'side-effects.'  In some
crude way, one could say that "2+2" and "1+3" are different paths to arrive
at the destination "4."  But one is not tempted to say they are the same path!

--Alan Wexelblat (Koyaanisqatsi)
...decvax!ittvax!wlxvax!awex

      These are generally the type of replies I received. I ENJOYED each
     one I've seen so far. If I didn't include your reply it was because
     I felt these 7 replies summed all the replies rather well. It wasn't
     because I didn't like you particular response. If anybody has some
     further comments, please send them to me at IHNP4!IHUXJ!AMRA or post
     to this news group (net.philosophy). Thanks adain for your input
     it is always read & appreciated. Hope to hear from you in the near
     future!!

                        PEACE & BEST WISHES

                    From the ever curious mind of:
                     Steve Aldrich (ihnp4!ihuxj!amra)

               "Ya, we're playing those mind games forever.." J. Lennon