[net.philosophy] Paths and "ends justify the means"

keves@sdccsu3.UUCP (03/12/84)

>From: psuvm%v0p@psuvax.UUCP

>   *The ends justify the means*....for better or worse.  Once you have reached
>   your destination, the distance is meaningless.

>                        --Paul Mattes   V0P@PSUVM.BITNET

	I think the following discussion will give you an idea about what I
think of the above argument. It might be rather simple minded, but these ideas
have to work for the little things as well as the more gigantic questions like
"Time".

Fat Person:   	"Doctor, can you help me? I need to loose twenty pounds fast."
Doctor:		"Ok. I can do that. I can have you down by twenty pounds and
		 recovered in two days."
Fat Person:	"Oh, that quick. It sounds great. Ok, what do you do?"
Doctor:		"Well, we just amputate your arm."
Fat Person:	"What!!! But thats unimaginable."
Doctor:		"But, you do believe that the ends justify the means,don't you?"

	Like I said, it is rather stupid. But you don't take just any path
to accomplish your goals. This works with morality and any other ity you can
think of. You must take a path that will logically accomplish your goals.

			Just read my Organization.

--
		"I am the man who dared to say, 'I will not live my
		life for the sake of another man, nor expect him to

Name:     Brian Keves			USnail:   UCSD Computer Center
Usenet:	  ...!sdcsvax!sdccsu3!keves		  C-010
          ...!sdcsvax!sdcattb!za62		  La Jolla, Ca.  92093
Gripe:	  "Some people just can't have fun in this world because
 	   they are too busy bitching about people who do."