[net.philosophy] ``Knowing'' vs. knowing.

karl@dartvax.UUCP (S. Delage.) (07/26/84)

Newsgroups: net.philosophy,net.sci,net.misc
Subject: ``Knowing'' vs. knowing.

Mr. Steiny is putting quotation marks around the word "know", in
the sentence, ``A better way to state what we "know" about the
motions of the sun and the earth is...'' in reference to the
preceding statement, ``We know now that the earth goes around the
sun.''
   I am prepared to say that ``I know that the earth goes around
the sun.'', and I think that many other people are as well. The
quotation marks seem to signify that we don't ``really know it'',
we only seem to know it. I admit that I haven't stood on Alpha
Centuari wth my [very] high-powered telescope and seen the relative
motions of the earth and the sun, but the statement ``I know that
the earth goes around the sun.'' still seems reasonable.
   Although this is not particularly related to the main point of
Mr. Steiny's article, the quotation marks seemed oddly out of
place.
karl@dartmouth -- dartvax!karl