[net.philosophy] Free [Will, Lunch, Software]

jim@ism780b.UUCP (08/01/84)

#R:houca:-44800:ism780b:27500021:000:831
ism780b!jim    Jul 20 12:29:00 1984

> But the fact remains that the particle must be somewhere.

No so, because the universe does not really contain "particles".
"Particle" is merely an organizing concept which human beings use
to try to get a handle on what is really there.  When you get to a finer
level, you start using the organizing concept "probability wave function".

> My premise was that whoever or whatever was analyzing the universe
> had the means to determine these things.

Not if you believe, as many physicists seem to, that the universe itself
has "free will", it has multiple possible futures, no one of which alone
is implicit in the current state.  According to the multiple-worlds
model, they are all implicit and they all "happen", and the one you see is
just the one that this "you" happened in.

-- Jim Balter, INTERACTIVE Systems (ima!jim)

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (08/02/84)

< ... quoting   >
>From: jim@ism780b.UUCP Wed Aug  1 00:19:24 1984
>You seem to be assuming that "cause and effect" is an independent something
>that either does exist or does not, in the same way that black holes either
>do exist or not.

A great many philosophers, including David Hume (could outconsume...)
have argued that cause and effect are  mere illusions, in the sense
that my clock radio coming on immediately before sunrise mighht be
thought to "cause" the rising of the sun.   Being rather pragmatic
and utilitarian in my outlook (terms not intended in their strictly
philosophical sense), I consider this point of view impractical but
it certainly can't be dismissed out of hand.

>... Now, it turns out that
>in the real physical world, you don't even need to worry about Zeno's
>paradox, because time is quantized, and so B happens in the next time
>packet following A, and there are no packets in between.

I don't disagree with the point being made, but I'd like to note that
quantization of spacetime is far from being an established fact (as
particle quantization is).

>... Note that free will aand determinism *are
>not* mutually exclusive.  If even I myself cannot predict my decisions, then I
>have free will regardless of how tightly coupled my brain state and my actions
>are.
>-- Jim Balter, INTERACTIVE Systems (ima!jim)

This may be true with regard to your definition of the terms, but in
normal usage they are taken to be mutually exclusive.  Actually, physics
would now lead one to reject strict determinism.  The question is
whether quantum-level randomness offers enough of a loophole in
determinism to allow free will to get a toehold.  Bertrand Russell
argued that quantum effects are irrlevant in the normal world of our
experience, but I suspect our neurons may "leverage up" quantum
randomness to the level we can experience.  It is certainly true
that things like radioactively induced glitches in computer circuits
are (in current physics anyway) nondterministic, and we know what THEY
can lead to...

D Gary Grady
Duke University Computation Center, Durham, NC  27706
(919) 684-4146
USENET:  {decvax,ihnp4,akgua,etc.}!mcnc!ecsvax!dgary