[net.philosophy] Libertarianism is Not Philososphy!

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (The devil himself) (10/17/84)

Libertarianism is Not Philosophy!______________________________________________

	Please move discussions about libertarianism elsewhere.  Since there is
no net.dogma, I suggest net.politics.  Much more appropriate.
		<_Jym_>

stuart@genrad.UUCP (stuart) (10/18/84)

In article <> daemon@decwrl.UUCP  writes:
>Libertarianism is Not Philosophy!______________________________________________
>
>	Please move discussions about libertarianism elsewhere.  Since there is
>no net.dogma, I suggest net.politics.  Much more appropriate.
>		<_Jym_>

Political philosophy is a branch of philosophy.

norm@ariel.UUCP (N.ANDREWS) (10/18/84)

>From: daemon@decwrl.UUCP (The devil himself)
>Libertarianism is Not Philosophy!  Please move discussions
>about libertarianism elsewhere.  Since there is no net.dogma,
>I suggest net.politics.  Much more appropriate.	<Jym>

Doesn't political philosophy belong in a philosophy newsgroup?  Shouldn't
political philosophies have ethical foundations?  Is libertarianism a
political philosophy in spite of <Jym>'s disagreement with it?  What is a
philosophy anyway?  Does libertarian philosophy include an ethical foundation,
or, at least, should it?  WHY IS IT THAT JYM IS SO ANXIOUS TO PUSH LIBERTARIAN
PHILOSOPHICAL DISCUSSION OFF OF THIS GROUP?
Jym is being very contentious in claiming that libertarianism is not a
philosophy, and in implying it is dogma.  But he offers nothing to
back up his assertions.  I'd be very surprised if he can coherently define,
with proper genus and differentia, what philosophy is, and reasonably back
up his claim that libertarianism is not a philosophy.
Norm Andrews, vax135!ariel!norm

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (10/19/84)

Okay, in five years I have heard ``Objectivism is not philosophy''
twice; ``Thomas Aquinas's *Summa Theologiae* is not philosophy'' once
and now ``Libertarianism is Not Philosophy''.

Somebody sure has a very different definition of philosophy than any
philosopher I know has. What is it now?

Metaphysics and Epistemology are in, ethics and value theory are out,
political philosphophy is particularily condemned and when in doubt
we can always go back to the mind/body problem -- as long as you
don't mention Thomas Aquinas, any old Greeks, or any religious
writers on the subject?

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

curry@hplabsc.UUCP (Bo Curry/guest) (11/01/84)

Libertarianism is not philosophy: it is advocacy.  I might add that it is
also a simple-minded political theory advanced in contravention of
historical experience and common sense.  A government by any other name
(read cartel, monopoly,etc.) will oppress as much, if not more.  Let's
consign the libertarian discussion to net.astrology, where it belongs.
		Bo Curry  hplabs!curry