[net.philosophy] Neuro-Linguistic Programming

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (02/07/85)

> P.S. He mentioned "neuro-linguistic programming" as a new technique
> in the persuasion area.  Does anyone know what this is?

	Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) has been the subject of
several articles in popular magazines.  There have been
I have read two or three in Psychology Today, one in
New Realities.  Time magazine had an article on it not too long ago.
It is a set of powerful techniques for influencing people and
for "modeling exellence."

	It was originated in the middle seventies by John Grinder
and Richard Bandler.  It was originated here in Santa Cruz.
The seminal books are "The Structure of Magic, Vol. 1&2".

	I an especially qualified to discuss it because John
Grinder is one of my closest friends and associates and I have
been working closely with him for more than five years.

	John Grinder was a professor of linguistics at UCSC.
He was a well respected grammarian and he recieved high praise
from the likes of Paul Postal, Haj Ross, and others.   Richard
Bandler was a Gestalt therapist.   He was an exceptionally good
Gestalt therapist.  He came to John and proposed that John and
he try to extend the types of models that linguists
make of our intuitive knowledge of to model other "intuitive
knowledge." (As a background point, you should realize that
we "know" that an utterance is English, but we do not know
how we know, it is intuitive.  The discription a linguist
makes is a discription of a speaker's intuitive knowledge
of there language.  Richard and John reasoned that if they
could find the proper "non-terminal vocabulary" in human
behavior, they could make powerful descriptions of other
intuition besides linguistic intuition.

	They used a pure linguistic model at first.
The person they modeled was the brilliant therapist Virgina Satir.
John's next door neighbor, Gregory Bateson, introduced them.
They discovered that she favored certain words and grammatical
constructions and that by matching her vocabulary to the client's
she would build  "rapport" and help people change.  Further, they
discovered that grammatical deletions and fuzzy words like
nominalizations blurred people's representation of the world
and obscured the solutions to their problems. "Structure of
Magic" is the result of their findings.

	The next person they modeled was Milton Erickson.
Erickson was considered to be the best medical hypnotist.
He died a few years ago (1980, I think) within a week of
Gregory Bateson.  They both missed a scheduled talk they
were going to give together because they died.   Bandler and Grinder
decided that Erickson was using non-verbal clues more than verbal.
Erickson could put people in a deep trance in a few seconds
without saying a word.   The conclusions about Erickson
can be found in "The Patterns of the Hypnotic Technique
of Milton H. Erickson M.D." by Richard Bandler and John Grinder.

	The techniques become more complicated from this point.
John lost interest in the acadamic world and John and
Richard started teaching their stuff in seminars.  The seminars
cost much, and most of the audience is generally therapists,
doctors, and professionals.  Since much of  what they teach
is how to responed to and to manipulate non-verbal behavior,
it is not something that is too easy to teach from books.
Like trying to describe jazz to someone that has never heard it.

	The techniques make many people uncomfortable, because
they can be used covertly.   The techniques are powerful, perhaps
irresistable.  I met a person at one of John's seminars that
deprogrammed people, but not by dragging them off and holding
them in a hotel room, but by just "talking" to them in an airport
where they were selling flowers.

	Today seminars are available and there are many books.
The books "Frogs into Princesses", "Trance  Formations", and "Reframing,"
are available in most bookstores.  For a complete list of
available books and information on seminars you can get on the
mailing list--write:

	Grinder, DeLozier, & Associates
	110 Kenny Court
	Santa Cruz, Ca. 95060
	(408) 475-8540

	The seminars teach modeling, hypnosis, and other subjects.

	On the subject of cults and such NLP has no position.
It is not a cult in any way.  John gives seminars and people
pay him money to go.  If they do not like the seminars, they
don't have to come back.  They have a certification program.
If people cares to do so, they can take a 3 day test
to see if they have mastered the skills taught.  If they have
they can become a "certified practicioner."

	The original group that developd NLP broke up and there
are several factions.   Bandler and Grinder have separate organizations.
I only know about John's branch.
--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382    ihnp4!pesnta  -\