[net.philosophy] Newsflash! Torek actually concedes an argument!

esk@wucs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (02/22/85)

[well, sort of]

From: mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz)
> > > If I start with assumptions derived from sociobiology, that there is
> > > evolution of and natural selection upon behavior, beliefs, and customs,
> > > then relativism is the natural conclusion.  [him]
> >
> > Whaaaa?  Wanna run that (cough) "logic" by me again?  [me]

> Because different groups live in different environments, the selective
> forces upon their behaviors, beliefs and customs will differ.  [him]

Whoops!  Mea culpa.  I was mistaken about your understanding of the term
"relativism".  I have no quarrel with you now that I see what you meant.
Your reply to Mc Kiernan (below) cleared things up for me.

> By this [Mc Kiernan's] definition, I too am an Absolutist, with the usual
> caveats about all current systems being approximations.
> I gave a definition of relativism that (unfortunately) turns out to be
> ambiguous.  The dictionary definition I used is "a view that ethical truths
> depend on the individuals and groups holding them."  The interpretation I
> intended is not that there are different absolute truths for different
> individuals and groups, but that what they identify as truths are different
> because of who they are.
> By that definition, Absolutism and relativism are not incompatable nor
> opposite.	[Mike Huybensz]

I thought you intended the other interpretation; the same one Mc Kiernan
apparently thought you intended.
					--Paul V. Torek, wucs!wucec1!pvt1047
Don't hit that 'r' key!  Send any mail to this address, not the sender's.