[net.philosophy] Corporal Punishment vs. ridicule

dts@gitpyr.UUCP (Danny Sharpe) (02/23/85)

In article <322@cadre.ARPA> jay@cadre.ARPA (Jay Ramanathan) writes:
>  I understand that, in countries like Sweden, it is a crime even to ridicule
>a student in front of his/her peers, let alone hit him/her.  I frankly am
>surprised that, in a country like America, so many people subscribe to such
>ancient forms of "disciplining" their pupils.

Ridicule is a very, very bad thing to do to a child. I wouldn't be at all
surprised if someone could authoritatively say it is far worse than
spanking in its psychological effects.

-- Either Argle-Bargle IV or someone else. --

Danny Sharpe
School of ICS
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!dts

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (02/26/85)

In article <gitpyr.161> dts@gitpyr.UUCP (Danny Sharpe) writes:
>In article <322@cadre.ARPA> jay@cadre.ARPA (Jay Ramanathan) writes:
>>  I understand that, in countries like Sweden, it is a crime even to ridicule
>>a student in front of his/her peers, let alone hit him/her.  I frankly am
>>surprised that, in a country like America, so many people subscribe to such
>>ancient forms of "disciplining" their pupils.
>
>Ridicule is a very, very bad thing to do to a child. I wouldn't be at all
>surprised if someone could authoritatively say it is far worse than
>spanking in its psychological effects.

What's even worse is when the students gang up on one student
and ridicule him/her.  Is there a law in Sweden against this?

	Frank Silbermann
	University of North Carolina

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (03/01/85)

> In article <gitpyr.161> dts@gitpyr.UUCP (Danny Sharpe) writes:
> >In article <322@cadre.ARPA> jay@cadre.ARPA (Jay Ramanathan) writes:
> >>  I understand that, in countries like Sweden, it is a crime even to ridicule
> >>a student in front of his/her peers, let alone hit him/her.  I frankly am
> >>surprised that, in a country like America, so many people subscribe to such
> >>ancient forms of "disciplining" their pupils.
> >
> >Ridicule is a very, very bad thing to do to a child. I wouldn't be at all
> >surprised if someone could authoritatively say it is far worse than
> >spanking in its psychological effects.
> >

> What's even worse is when the students gang up on one student
> and ridicule him/her.  Is there a law in Sweden against this?
>
> 	Frank Silbermann
> 	University of North Carolina

	Frank, I think you forgot the smiley face ':-)' after your last
	sentence.

				Mike Clifford