[net.philosophy] Continuity

williams@kirk.DEC (John Williams 223-3402) (04/12/85)

	Excuse, please.

	The continuous model of the universe is the most relevent
one. Physics are unable to resolve any sort of bottom most
primitive particle. For all intents and purposes, the continuous
model of the universe is the most accurate.

	If you are implying that there is an essentially random
element to the universe, that is a model that Einstein himself
refuted.

	" I find it very difficult to believe that God plays
dice " - Einstein ( loosely quoted )

	I do not consider it unreasonable to maintain some kind
of consistency between physical theories and philosophical ones.
It is generally agreed that the uncertainties encountered in
experimentation are due to observational difficulties. This was
the point I wished to emphasize.

	We really are having trouble trying to find a limit to
scale. A continuous function has no limit.

	This is what you might call a Strong Possibility.

						John.

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (04/14/85)

Continuity is useful in thinking about *freedom*, but not about *free will*.
Remember the proposed analogy between free will and language ability?
Granted that there is a continuum between how people use language - I
think that the *ability* to use language is more or less binary
(forgetting, for a moment, hard cases like Koko the Gorilla). Humans
have the ability and trees don't. Even if it were possible to construct
a freedom continuum between rocks (say) at one end and man at the other --
would it help?  What is being investigated is whether man has the
ability of free will.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

rlh@cvl.UUCP (Ralph L. Hartley) (04/15/85)

> 	The continuous model of the universe is the most relevent
> one. Physics are unable to resolve any sort of bottom most
> primitive particle. For all intents and purposes, the continuous
> model of the universe is the most accurate.

Learn some physics sometime. Physicsts have indeed found several such
particles. For example no one has ever found any internal structure in
an electron.

>	If you are implying that there is an essentially random
> element to the universe, that is a model that Einstein himself
> refuted.
>
>	" I find it very difficult to believe that God plays
> dice " - Einstein ( loosely quoted )

Einstein did find it very difficult to believe, but he never refuted
it. In fact some of his own work (on the photo-electric effect) gave direct
support to the theory that he opposed. Einstien was one of the last of
the old groop of pysicists who never accepted Quantum Mechanics even as
massive amounts of evidence for it appeared.

> It is generally agreed that the uncertainties encountered in
> experimentation are due to observational difficulties. This was
> the point I wished to emphasize.

rlh@cvl.UUCP (Ralph L. Hartley) (04/15/85)

My posting was inadvertantly cut in half. This is a complete copy.

> 	The continuous model of the universe is the most relevent
> one. Physics are unable to resolve any sort of bottom most
> primitive particle. For all intents and purposes, the continuous
> model of the universe is the most accurate.

Learn some physics sometime. Physicsts have indeed found several such
particles. For example no one has ever found any internal structure in
an electron.

>	If you are implying that there is an essentially random
> element to the universe, that is a model that Einstein himself
> refuted.
>
>	" I find it very difficult to believe that God plays
> dice " - Einstein ( loosely quoted )

Einstein did find it very difficult to believe, but he never refuted
it. In fact some of his own work (on the photo-electric effect) gave direct
support to the theory that he opposed. Einstien was one of the last of
the old groop of pysicists who never accepted Quantum Mechanics even as
massive amounts of evidence for it appeared.

> It is generally agreed that the uncertainties encountered in
> experimentation are due to observational difficulties. This was
> the point I wished to emphasize.

This is also a point in which you are incorrect. The theory you refer to
is the "hidden variable" theory. It states that the outcome of an
experiment is really determined by "hidden variables" that we are
unable to observe.

Of course such a theory cannot be entirely ruled out, but simple versions of
it can be. For instance one might like a theory in which only local
information about the universe is used and in which information never
travels faster than the speed of light. Very clever experiments (the
details of which I forget at the moment) have ruled out such "local
hidden variable theorys.

Much simpler theorys result if it is assumed that things that cannot
possibly be observed (e.g. both position and momentum) cannot be
observed because the concepts have no real basis.

I agree that philosophy should take pysics into account but it should
be modern pysics not 19th century stuff.

If no one else does I will post some thoughts about the philosophical
implications of QM as soon as I have thought them through.

				Ralph
				rlh@cvl

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (04/17/85)

John Williams writes:
>	If you are implying that there is an essentially random
>element to the universe, that is a model that Einstein himself
>refuted.
>
>	" I find it very difficult to believe that God plays
>dice " - Einstein ( loosely quoted )

Einstein didn't refute the random element - he only denied it.
Stephen Hawking, a brilliant modern theoretical physicist, replies:

       "Not only does God play dice with the universe, but he
	sometimes throws the dice where we can't see them."

That doesn't prove the other side either, but demonstrates that there
is another opinion.
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim