[net.philosophy] freedom and reason

esk@wucs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (03/13/85)

[]
laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:
> Why does there have to be a ``ghost in the machine'', or, alternately,
> no ability to effect changes by choice in one's life? That I started
> out as an undifferentiated cell zygote that did not have language ability
> does not mean that I had to stay that way -- why is ``free will'' any
> different?

Exactly.  "Free will" is an ability, and like language ability, it is
an ability one can come to have without exercising that ability.  That
is, there is no infinite regress involved in having the ability to make
choices, any more than there is in having language ability.

> I also thought that Rosen implied that one had to freely choose to
> have free will -- something which I do not think Torek ever implied.
> I think that Torek implied that you are stuck (``condemned'' in
> Jean Paul Sartre's view) with freedom.

You are "stuck" with freedom in the sense that you cannot just will it
away.  Also in the sense that you did not have to choose to have it in
order to have it.  However, you can damage your brain and thereby eliminate
the basis for freedom.

BTW, I agree with Laura that predictability (or lack of same) is not the
same as free will.  When we talk about choice we are not talking about
predictability or lack thereof.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) writes:
> Are we going to do this again?  In recent discussions with Paul Torek,
> I've been trying to explain that the concept of free will as it is
> commonly defined DIRECTLY IMPLIES the notion of a soul or external agent.
But it ain't so...
> To be truly *free* to make any "decision", the agent of choice MUST be
> outside of the realm of cause and effect, external to the physiochemical
> makeup of the brain and body.
Wrong again!

> True freedom has nothing to do with rational evaluative capabilities.
> True freedom would involve the ability to make decisions independent of
> ANY external physical cause, INCLUDING the rational evaluative processes.
> If one is truly free, one is truly free to choose either rationality or
> irrationality at will, and not simply based on making a rational choice.

Such a "choice" is the logical equivalent of a square circle.  The notion
of choosing between rationality and irrationality involves the person in
*representing* the options to himself.  But such a representation itself
would already involve the use of reason.  And there could be no basis for
such a choice, since reason must be used to see why the basis for choice
justifies the choice.  The fact that Rich's definition of free will leads
to such absurdities shows that it should be rejected.

rwh@aesat.UUCP (Russ Herman) writes:
> When you say "I have language ability", that's a self-evident truth. ...
> But when you say "I have free will", that's like saying "I have a
> personal deity".

Actually, when you say "I have free will" while making (what we ordinarily
would describe as) a choice, that's a self-evident truth too. (!)

> Have you ever known any clinical paranoids? They're *wonderful* at
> reasoning. Only problem is that their perceptions are out to lunch.

They're wonderful at logic, maybe.  Perception involves some use of
reason, I think (as Kuhnians et. al. will insist, it's not just the
reception of neutral data), at least when it comes to making judgements
based on our sensory input.  Anyway, please feel free to substitute
"reason and experience" everywhere I previously said "reason", and you'll
get my meaning.

> How can you or I prove whether our core values are rational, or a product
> of our social and familial conditioning? [why not both --pvt] We certainly
> start from the latter position. Then, how can we distinguish between
> being rational and rationalizing?

It's simple; you search for biases in your conditioning that lead you to
irrationality.  In the beginning you find plenty; as you proceed it gets
harder to find error ... you never get to perfect rationality, but you
can approach it asymptotically.
				--The aspiring iconoclast,
				Paul V. Torek, ihnp4!wucs!wucec1!pvt1047
Don't hit that 'r' key!  Send any mail to this address, not the sender's.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/14/85)

> > rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) writes:
> > Are we going to do this again?  In recent discussions with Paul Torek,
> > I've been trying to explain that the concept of free will as it is
> > commonly defined DIRECTLY IMPLIES the notion of a soul or external agent.
>
> But it ain't so...  [PAUL TOREK]

> > To be truly *free* to make any "decision", the agent of choice MUST be
> > outside of the realm of cause and effect, external to the physiochemical
> > makeup of the brain and body.
>
> Wrong again!

This would seem to be the "argument by assertion" or the "because I say so"
style of reasoning.  C'mon, Paul!  You're just making assertions that my
point is wrong because you don't like it, but you offer nothing to either
show it to be wrong or to show the opposite (your point) to be true.
Arndtian reasoning has no place here.

>>True freedom has nothing to do with rational evaluative capabilities.
>>True freedom would involve the ability to make decisions independent of
>>ANY external physical cause, INCLUDING the rational evaluative processes.
>>If one is truly free, one is truly free to choose either rationality or
>>irrationality at will, and not simply based on making a rational choice.

> Such a "choice" is the logical equivalent of a square circle.  The notion
> of choosing between rationality and irrationality involves the person in
> *representing* the options to himself.  But such a representation itself
> would already involve the use of reason.

It would seem this way only if you presume that reason is the only method of
making choices, which is a bogus assumption.

> And there could be no basis for such a choice, since reason must be used to
> see why the basis for choice justifies the choice.

Reason *must* be used only if reason *is* used.  (Sort of a cause and effect
reversal there.)  If one doesn't care whether or not one has made a
reasonable choice (an argument presented by religious believers who have said
to me: "Well I couldn't care less what your evidence against this is, I *still*
believe it, despite the logical reason to stop doing so!"), then one is not
obliged to use reason to make choices.

> The fact that Rich's definition of free will leads to such absurdities
> shows that it should be rejected.

Yes, indeed.  The definition, when analyzed closely (something Paul has
repeatedly chastised me about :-), shows many such absurdities.  And you're
right, it should be rejected.  And since that definition (not yours) would
seem to be the commonly accepted definition of what free will "is", you have
just claimed that the very notion of free will should be rejected.  Can we go
home now?

Again, as Schopenhauer said:  "A man can do what he wants to, but he cannot
want what he wants to."
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/14/85)

3 points...

1. It doesn't do any good to say ``a soul gives me free will''. Where
   did the soul get it? At some point you will have to say ``just because
   it did''. WHy is the soul level to be preferred over the body level?

   (if you have evidence for the existence of souls, this could be a very good
    reason, of course.)

2. If you are using what you believe or what you feel as a tool for reasoning,
   then it does not follow that you are not reasoning. Your conclusions may
   be lousy, however.

3. Schopenhauer may not be the last word on the subject. There are a good
   many schools of self-help, meditation, hypnosis and so on which
   expressly try to change what you want. saying ``well, they couldn't
   change that you wanted to change your wants'' doesn't work -- some
   competing schools try to undo what you had done somewhere else.
   You do have evidence that people stick with certain decisions or
   beliefs, but that is not sufficient.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

rwh@aesat.UUCP (Russ Herman) (03/18/85)

(> Paul Torek; * Laura Creighton)

> Actually, when you say "I have free will" while making (what we ordinarily
> would describe as) a choice, that's a self-evident truth too. (!)

Tautological. How can you demonstrate whether, in that precise situation, I am
making a choice. Perhaps I'm compulsively lying. (!!)

> You are "stuck" with freedom in the sense that you cannot just will it
> away.

Yes, but I could perform acts that would diminish my freedom, like committing
a crime and getting thrown in jail. But I think here we're starting to confuse
"free will", which is a binary valued attribute, with "freedom", whose values
lie along a continuum.

> [Paranoids are] wonderful at logic, maybe. Perception involves some use
> of reason ... at least when it comes to making judgments based on our
> sensory input.

I don't consider judgment part of perception. I hear a loud bang. If I'm
walking down a Beirut street, I'll dive for cover. If I'm sitting
at the symphony, I'll assume it's the kettledrum. Hearing the sound is
"perception". The following part is what I label "interpretation".

Suppose I perceive people looking at me, and looking away, and looking at me,
and looking away... . Now I could interpret that as "They're looking at me
because they're going to get me", in which case I'm paranoid; or as "They're
looking at me because I'm such a handsome devil...", in which case I'm
simply crazy :-); or as "They're looking at me because, oops, maybe my fly
is undone", in which case I am being rational. But the first interpretation
I make occurs without rational mediation as to which one it will be!  And
my ability to generate subsequent interpretations is not under immediate
control. Here is where free will and freedom collapse into a black hole.

* It doesn't do any good to say "A soul gives me free will".

I agree. Iff you have free will, you can allocate the possessor of that
attribute to that part of you, iff you wish to identify some part of you
as a soul. Frankly, I find it completely appropriate to correlate so closely
two things you can't prove you have!

* If you are using what you believe or what you feel as a tool for for
* reasoning, then it does not follow that you are not reasoning. Your
* conclusions may be lousy, however.

Then again, your conclusions may be better.
Beliefs and feelings are appropriate *data* for decisions, particularly
feelings. There is another decision-making tool, besides reason, available
to humans - intuition. But that is a separate topic.
--
  ______			Russ Herman
 /      \			{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!rwh

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/18/85)

I don't think you understand me, Russ. I am not trying to find a chunk of me
and say that ``this bit gives me free will''.  What good would that do?
Assuming that I thought that I found it, the next obvious question is
``what makes that free''? This is relatively useless, then. If I have free
will, then, I want to identify it with the whole I. But, I am very
interested in demonstrating that I have free will. If I do not have
free will then there is no point in me bothering with ethics, politics,
doing a good job at work, using casts appropriately so that lint
passes my code, trying to treat the people I love with more respect and
in other ways trying to live a better life. I mean -- who cares? I can't
choose to improve myself, I can't choose to be evil, I can't sin and
I can't accomplish anything. All I can claim is that sins, accomplishments
and everything else happens -- I have no credit one way of another.

If I actually believed that I had no free will then I would go kill
myself tomorrow. What ever would be the use of anything?

I think that free will is a self-evident truth. Now, the implications
that one can draw from the existence of free will (that we have souls,
that God cares about ethics) may be entirely bogus. But I do not think that
it is possible to explain why human beings try to find out about the truth
without either assuming that they have free will, or that it happened by
chance. I suppsoe it could be chance .. but it is a rather long shot,
wouldn't you say?

For instance, take the proposition ``knowledge is good''. Try to refute it.
If you say ``Knowledge is bad for you'' then you are making a statement.
That statement is, in itself, knowledge. Thus, you are forced to admit that
certain knowlege is good.

I do not think that you can ask the question ``does man have free will''
without using the free will whose existence you are questioning. The
question implies that there is a true answer to the question and that
you would like this knowledge. But why should knowledge interest you?
Because it is possible to make mistakes, and you are trying to avoid
making them. Aha! By your own effort, in searching for the truth, it
is possible to influence your actions so that you will make fewer
mistakes! This is an implicit assumption in asking any question. So,
in asking the question you are either performing another meaningless
action, or you are demonstrating the free will whose existence you
are trying to prove.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (03/19/85)

> 1. It doesn't do any good to say ``a soul gives me free will''. Where
>    did the soul get it? At some point you will have to say ``just because
>    it did''. WHy is the soul level to be preferred over the body level?
>
>    (if you have evidence for the existence of souls, this could be a very good
>     reason, of course.)
> laura creighton

This soul business seems a little dogmatic on both sides.  On the one hand,
the ability of a thoughtful mind to think powerfully has lacked a decent
scientific explanation for centuries.  To postulate that a non-observed
entity like a soul carrys the ability to think and reason is one way to
explain thought, especially via arguments from design which imply that
since a soul is attuned to and reacts to a larger world design, it should be
able to think complexly, as the world is complex.  That is, the things we
associate with a soul imply that a soul must be able to think and reason.
Hence souls should exist.  (Complexity involves imagination -- [a little
joke from mathematics] :-))

On the other hand, the soul hasn't been observed, though dogmatists might
say that it can't be observed (why, I don't know).  But this isn't an
argument against the existence of the soul in the absence of another
observed mechanism that can think and reason complexly as we do.  I don't
think we've seen that yet.

My own belief is that some observable mechanism which thinks and reasons
will eventually be isolated or explained within the human brain.  I also
expect that that mechanism will do what a soul would do, given a decent
correspondance and interaction between that mechanism and the world (this
is assumed for a soul).

Between the soul level and the body level is no difference of serious
consequence, I submit, at least as far as reason and freedom are concerned.
Perhaps the language we use to talk about the soul level is hard to reduce
to the language we use to talk about the body level, or vice versa.  I
believe (whether religiously or scientifically, I leave to the gentle
reader) that the two once-warring camps will find better and better ways
to communicate as biological science becomes more mature.

Tony Wuersch
{amd,amdcad}!cae780!ubvax!tonyw

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (03/20/85)

> I do not think that you can ask the question ``does man have free will''
> without using the free will whose existence you are questioning. The
> question implies that there is a true answer to the question and that
> you would like this knowledge. But why should knowledge interest you?
> Because it is possible to make mistakes, and you are trying to avoid
> making them. Aha! By your own effort, in searching for the truth, it
> is possible to influence your actions so that you will make fewer
> mistakes! This is an implicit assumption in asking any question. So,
> in asking the question you are either performing another meaningless
> action, or you are demonstrating the free will whose existence you
> are trying to prove.
>
> Laura Creighton
> utzoo!laura

Another funny assumption of this free will debate is that free will
is a possession, some kind of {meta}physical capacity in us.  That can't
be!  Free will is a *relation* between a person and her world (world: some
bounded space-time continuum of possibility).  The question "does man
have free will" should be answered, "depends on who and where -- which
man[persons] and what world[worlds]".

Hence the information that some person asks the question "does man have
free will" gives no guidance as to whether that person has free will or not.
Try as we might, we can't move our worlds onto the net to be judged.  And
not all of our worlds are the same.

Tony Wuersch

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/21/85)

> But, I am very
> interested in demonstrating that I have free will. If I do not have
> free will then there is no point in me bothering with ethics, politics,
> doing a good job at work, using casts appropriately so that lint
> passes my code, trying to treat the people I love with more respect and
> in other ways trying to live a better life. I mean -- who cares? I can't
> choose to improve myself, I can't choose to be evil, I can't sin and
> I can't accomplish anything. All I can claim is that sins, accomplishments
> and everything else happens -- I have no credit one way of another.
>
> If I actually believed that I had no free will then I would go kill
> myself tomorrow. What ever would be the use of anything?

This is truly sad, because I fail to see why Laura (or anyone) should kill
themselves because they don't have free will?  I feel quite glad that I am
fortunate enough to be alive and to experience life and live through and
gain from and enjoy those experiences.  Regardless of whether I "will"
the things I do or not.  The danger is not in denying free will (for good
reason, I'd say) causing despondency and despair owing to "lack of ???";
the danger is in allowing such a notion, that without "free will", I am
nothing, to be perpetuated!

> Now, the implications that one can draw from the existence of free will (that
> we have souls, that God cares about ethics) may be entirely bogus.

I'll say!!  Where do you get such derivations of implications?

> But I do not think that
> it is possible to explain why human beings try to find out about the truth
> without either assuming that they have free will, or that it happened by
> chance. I suppsoe it could be chance .. but it is a rather long shot,
> wouldn't you say?

Isn't everything?  (And isn't that the argument against evolution, too?)

> For instance, take the proposition ``knowledge is good''. Try to refute it.
> If you say ``Knowledge is bad for you'' then you are making a statement.
> That statement is, in itself, knowledge. Thus, you are forced to admit that
> certain knowlege is good.

Take the statement "Snerdfelb is good".  Please.  By making assertions and
defining things after the fact, you are not really saying anything at all.

> I do not think that you can ask the question ``does man have free will''
> without using the free will whose existence you are questioning.

If I program a machine to ask the question, does it have free will?

> The question implies that there is a true answer to the question and that
> you would like this knowledge.

Questions are just words strung together.  They don't necessarily "imply"
anything.  The question above "implies" no more than the words it strings
together.  It is only if you assume that asking such a question represents
an instance of free will that this "implication" presents itself.  But that's
some assumption...

> But why should knowledge interest you?
> Because it is possible to make mistakes, and you are trying to avoid
> making them. Aha! By your own effort, in searching for the truth, it
> is possible to influence your actions so that you will make fewer
> mistakes! ... This is an implicit assumption in asking any question. So,
> in asking the question you are either performing another meaningless
> action, or you are demonstrating the free will whose existence you
> are trying to prove.

What am I demonstrating when I ask "Does man have snerdfelb?"  It's no more
or less meaningless than asking "Does man have ANYTHING ELSE?"  Only the
answer provides a means of saying whether it was a meaningless action or
a worthwhile effort to ask the question.  If, in asking a question, you
are seeking knowledge about something, asking alone has no bearing on the
nature of the answer.  Obviously one is searching for information when
asking a question.  But if the answer to the question you ask is "no",
the action was hardly meaningless:  you have gained information that you
can use in the future.
--
"Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/21/85)

	This is truly sad, because I fail to see why Laura (or anyone)
	should kill themselves because they don't have free will?

[Why not? it is just what my chemicals make me do...]

	I feel quite glad that I am fortunate enough to be alive and to
	experience life and live through and gain from and enjoy those
	experiences.  Regardless of whether I "will" the things I do or
	not.  The danger is not in denying free will (for good reason,
	I'd say) causing despondency and despair owing to "lack of
	???"; the danger is in allowing such a notion, that without
	"free will", I am nothing, to be perpetuated! [RICH ROSEN]

Rich, it is a very strange notion of ``I'' that you have that can exist
without a belief in free will. What does ``gain'' mean in the absense
of free will? what does ``enjoy'' mean? More importantly, what does
``I'' mean? Very little, I would say. Why learn? You cannot influence
your actions through your learning. Why love anyone? If you don't it is
no reflection on you. Why care about how elegant your code is? It is
easier to be sloppy, and no reflection on you if you are. You couldn't
change it -- it is just how your chemicals came out. Without a sense of
personal meaning, I see no reason to hold onto a belief in the self at
all. It was a mistake to ever think I had one -- so I think that I will
just go out like a candle now and enter into nirvana. Life is pointless
and I quit...

> For instance, take the proposition ``knowledge is good''. Try to refute it.
> If you say ``Knowledge is bad for you'' then you are making a statement.
> That statement is, in itself, knowledge. Thus, you are forced to admit that
> certain knowlege is good.

	Take the statement "Snerdfelb is good".  Please.  By making
	assertions and defining things after the fact, you are not
	really saying anything at all.

No, no, no. This is the logical positivist approach. (incidentally, I
read a quote by Smullyan the other day. He said that if he were ever to
write a Ambrose Bierce type dictionary, he would define a logical
positicist as someone who rejects as meaningless any statement he is
incapable of understanding. this is the funniest thing I have heard in
months...).  I am not definitng things after the fact. If you want to
go after this one you are going to have to prove that ``knowledge'' is
meaningless. Is Knowledge then meaningless, Rich? I don't think so, and
I don't think that you think so either. Your actions in posting make
you out to be in contradiction if you say this.

There is a potential paradox here, but not the one that you suggest.

the statement ``Knowledge is not good'' is an instance of knowledge.
Thus it is self-referential. Self-referential things have the
potiential for paradox. As it turns out, though, this one is safe. The
statement ``All Knowledge is not good'' (where not binds to good) is
clearly false. THis leaves open the question of the truth of ``Some
Knowledge is not good'' of course.

> I do not think that you can ask the question ``does man have free will''
> without using the free will whose existence you are questioning.

	If I program a machine to ask the question, does it have free
	will?

Now, here is an instance where we must be careful of what we mean.  what
do you mean by ``ask''? If you mean ``print out the question on a
terminal'' then I would say ``no''. On the other hand, if you
programmed a machine and then it spontaneously came up with the
question ``does man have free will'' then I would have to answer that I
do not know -- but I would be inclined to suspect that it does. I think
of Mike in *The Moon is a Harsh Mistress* as being a computer with free
will. Personally, though, I wonder if you can ever build and program
such a machine.

> The question implies that there is a true answer to the question and that
> you would like this knowledge.

	Questions are just words strung together.  They don't
	necessarily "imply" anything.  The question above "implies" no
	more than the words it strings together.  It is only if you
	assume that asking such a question represents an instance of
	free will that this "implication" presents itself.  But that's
	some assumption...

No. All I am assuming is that either men have free will or they don't,
and that the expression ``men have free will'' is meaningful. I am not
assuming that the answer is going to be ``true'', it could be
``false''. This is the case with any question I pose (since I do not
pose questions which I think are meaningless). If I ask ``Does Rich
have blue eyes'' then I am assuming that the sentence has some meaning,
and that there is an answer to this question -- either ``yes'' or
``no''. [If you happen to have one eye, or one brown and one blue, then
you can call to my attention that my question is ill-formed, but that
is entirely beside the point. *I* think that the question has meaning
as it stands, and is either answerable in the affirmative of the
negative.]

> But why should knowledge interest you?
> Because it is possible to make mistakes, and you are trying to avoid
> making them. Aha! By your own effort, in searching for the truth, it
> is possible to influence your actions so that you will make fewer
> mistakes! ... This is an implicit assumption in asking any question. So,
> in asking the question you are either performing another meaningless
> action, or you are demonstrating the free will whose existence you
> are trying to prove.

	What am I demonstrating when I ask "Does man have snerdfelb?"
	It's no more or less meaningless than asking "Does man have
	ANYTHING ELSE?"

Are you going to play Humpty Dumpty again? I do not have any concepts
which I do not believe are grounded in reality. Therefore I do not
think that nonsense is as meaningful as my concepts. If nonsense became
meaningful it would no longer be nonsense. I am *not* claiming that
there is anything special about the words I am using to represent my
concepts, but I am claiming that there is something special about the
concepts themselves.  ``Unicorns'' and ``horses'' are both instances of
concepts. The first do not exist, and the second do. But neither of
them are nonsensical.  In the absense of a definition, ``snerdfelb'' is
nonsense. My sentences were not nonsense -- though I had not gotten
around to demonstrating that they are true.

	Only the answer provides a means of saying whether it was a
	meaningless action or a worthwhile effort to ask the question.
	If, in asking a question, you are seeking knowledge about
	something, asking alone has no bearing on the nature of the
	answer.  Obviously one is searching for information when asking
	a question.  But if the answer to the question you ask is "no",
	the action was hardly meaningless:  you have gained information
	that you can use in the future.

I did not say that the action would be meaningless if the answer was
no, I said that if the answer was no, then the action would be
meaningless.  These are not the same. a implies b does not mean the
same thing as b implies a.

But this leads us to wonder why a man has engaged in a meaningless
action.  Well, if the answer is no, then I argue that all actions are
meaningless.  However, if the action is meaningful, then this would
imply that the answer was not no. [By denial of the consequent]. I know
that I cannot prove that all actions are not meaningless, but I think
that I have proven that either all actions are meaningless or man has
free will.

WHich moves us back to the top of the article. If I believed that I did
not have free will, I would also believe that all actions are
meaningless. Time to quit again...

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (03/26/85)

>> This is truly sad, because I fail to see why Laura (or anyone)
>> should kill themselves because they don't have free will?

> [Why not? it is just what my chemicals make me do...]

It is the fact that your own thoughts as stored in your chemical makeup
"make" you do this (i.e., lead you to that conclusion) is what is so sad.

>> I feel quite glad that I am fortunate enough to be alive and to
>> experience life and live through and gain from and enjoy those
>> experiences.  Regardless of whether I "will" the things I do or
>> not.  The danger is not in denying free will (for good reason,
>> I'd say) causing despondency and despair owing to "lack of
>> ???"; the danger is in allowing such a notion, that without
>> "free will", I am nothing, to be perpetuated! [RICH ROSEN]

> Rich, it is a very strange notion of ``I'' that you have that can exist
> without a belief in free will. What does ``gain'' mean in the absense
> of free will? what does ``enjoy'' mean? More importantly, what does
> ``I'' mean? Very little, I would say.

To you, I would say.  The "I" is that which engages in and feels the
experiences, and gains from them and learns from them and acquires pleasure
from them.  The gain is in the enhanced experience of life itself.  The
enjoyment is in the pleasure of those experiences as experienced by me.

> Why learn? You cannot influence your actions through your learning.

I don't know where you get that notion.  It is only through learning that
your experience of life becomes fuller.  You don't "change" anything (from
a deterministic standpoint, i.e., you would have "learned" anyway), but your
actions are in part determined by what you learn and you gain from that.

> Why love anyone? If you don't it is no reflection on you.

Because it can be such a joyful and enjoyable experience and can lead to
growth in both people's lives.

> Why care about how elegant your code is? It is easier to be sloppy, and no
> reflection on you if you are. You couldn't change it -- it is just how your
> chemicals came out.

Why are you trying so bloody hard to forcefit your notions of "without free
will I wouldn't do any of these things".  If your chemical makeup was such
that you enjoyed and took pride in your work, you most certainly would.
For someone who demands that I go off and read, you'd be advised to check
out Smullyan's "The Unfortunate Dualist" before slitting your wrists, Laura.

> Without a sense of
> personal meaning, I see no reason to hold onto a belief in the self at
> all. It was a mistake to ever think I had one -- so I think that I will
> just go out like a candle now and enter into nirvana. Life is pointless
> and I quit...

It's as pointless (or point-ful) as you decide to make it to be.  If you've
already decided that it's pointless, then there's not point in talking to
you, but if you realize that your life is as full as you make it, and don't
go off half-cocked depressed about not having "control" of your actions,
there's plenty of life to make the most of out there.

> I am not defining things after the fact. If you want to
> go after this one you are going to have to prove that ``knowledge'' is
> meaningless. Is Knowledge then meaningless, Rich? I don't think so, and
> I don't think that you think so either. Your actions in posting make
> you out to be in contradiction if you say this.

Why are you asking me to prove something I don't believe?  To what end?
Knowledge is as meaningful as its usefulness, as useful as its application.
Even without application, pure knowledge can have beauty.

>>>I do not think that you can ask the question ``does man have free will''
>>>without using the free will whose existence you are questioning.

>> If I program a machine to ask the question, does it have free
>> will?

> Now, here is an instance where we must be careful of what we mean.  what
> do you mean by ``ask''? If you mean ``print out the question on a
> terminal'' then I would say ``no''. On the other hand, if you
> programmed a machine and then it spontaneously came up with the
> question ``does man have free will'' then I would have to answer that I
> do not know -- but I would be inclined to suspect that it does.

What makes you think that human beings don't ask questions by simply
going through a series of internal processes and then "printing out the
question" or "asking it orally"?  Straw man.  What makes you think that
humans "spontaneously" ask such questions rather than going through such
processes as I describe above to do so?

> All I am assuming is that either men have free will or they don't,
> and that the expression ``men have free will'' is meaningful.

It is just an utterance of sounds.  It is only as meaningful as its
veracity.  If it is false, then it is false.

> I am not assuming that the answer is going to be ``true'', it could be
> ``false''. This is the case with any question I pose (since I do not
> pose questions which I think are meaningless). If I ask ``Does Rich
> have blue eyes'' then I am assuming that the sentence has some meaning,
> and that there is an answer to this question -- either ``yes'' or
> ``no''. [If you happen to have one eye, or one brown and one blue, then
> you can call to my attention that my question is ill-formed, but that
> is entirely beside the point. *I* think that the question has meaning
> as it stands, and is either answerable in the affirmative of the
> negative.]

As are most questions.  The act of asking it does not imply its truth or
falseness, as any question that can be formed of words can be asked.

>>>But why should knowledge interest you?
>>>Because it is possible to make mistakes, and you are trying to avoid
>>>making them. Aha! By your own effort, in searching for the truth, it
>>>is possible to influence your actions so that you will make fewer
>>>mistakes! ... This is an implicit assumption in asking any question. So,
>>>in asking the question you are either performing another meaningless
>>>action, or you are demonstrating the free will whose existence you
>>>are trying to prove.

>> What am I demonstrating when I ask "Does man have snerdfelb?"  It's
>> no more or less meaningless than asking "Does man have ANYTHING ELSE?"

> Are you going to play Humpty Dumpty again? I do not have any concepts
> which I do not believe are grounded in reality. Therefore I do not
> think that nonsense is as meaningful as my concepts. If nonsense became
> meaningful it would no longer be nonsense. I am *not* claiming that
> there is anything special about the words I am using to represent my
> concepts, but I am claiming that there is something special about the
> concepts themselves.  ``Unicorns'' and ``horses'' are both instances of
> concepts. The first do not exist, and the second do. But neither of
> them are nonsensical.  In the absense of a definition, ``snerdfelb'' is
> nonsense. My sentences were not nonsense -- though I had not gotten
> around to demonstrating that they are true.

The point was that your statement claiming that because I am seeking
knowledge I am using free will was totally erroneous, plugging in random
words to suit the conclusion you want to reach.  My asking questions to gain
knowledge does not imply use of free will, but somehow you claim to reach
that conclusion above.  I am politely trying to say "What the hell are
you talking about?"  It is YOU who are playing Humpty Dumpty here.  Any
question I ask (about free will or about snerdfelb) have equal POTENTIAL
meaning.  Only the reality of the answer shows how meaningful the information
obtained really was.  Remember, though, that even asking a "stupid" question
can result in useful information.

> But this leads us to wonder why a man has engaged in a meaningless
> action.  Well, if the answer is no, then I argue that all actions are
> meaningless.  However, if the action is meaningful, then this would
> imply that the answer was not no. [By denial of the consequent]. I know
> that I cannot prove that all actions are not meaningless, but I think
> that I have proven that either all actions are meaningless or man has
> free will.

No it doesn't, and I fail to see where you draw such conclusions from
unless you're working backwards to get to them.  As I said above, meaning
and worth of an action are human-based concepts:  the meaningless question
I ask may have meaning to you based on your situation.  Could you please
more clearly how this seemingly convoluted logic leads you to a conclusion
that because some actions are deemed meaningless/not meaningless somehow
leads one to the conclusion of free will.  The only thing that's clear to me
is the convolution of your own logic in an attempt to "prove" free will.

> WHich moves us back to the top of the article. If I believed that I did
> not have free will, I would also believe that all actions are
> meaningless. Time to quit again...

But that's a crock.  The actions are meaningful as they are made to be.
--
Life is complex.  It has real and imaginary parts.
					Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/26/85)

I think that Tony Wuersch is talking about *freedom*, not *free will*.
If you point a gun to my head you have considerably diminished my freedom,
but I don't think that you have diminished my free will. I would grant that
certain individuals -- say catatonics, or the severely retarded, or people
in comas may not have free will, but then, they aren't the people that
are asking the question.

People have sent me a lot of mail about this. There seems to be a
universal misunderstanding of what I said. Most people who have sent me
mail have sent me mail which interprets my argument as follows:

people ask ``do I have free will''?
in asking such a question, one presumes that the answer is yes.
therefore, by force of will, the answer is yes.

this argument stinks.

Well, yes, I agree that this is a lousy argument, but this is not the one
I was making. I will try to be clearer.

When I ask ``d o I have free will''? I am implicitly asserting that there
is something worthwhile about asking questions. After all, I am bothering
to do this rather than doing something else. The reason that it is good
to ask questions is that it is a way of acquiring true knowledge. But
why should true knowledge be of any use to me? Because, the more true
knowledge I have, the fewer mistakes I should make. Aha. if knowledge
is important because it enables us to make fewer mistakes, it follows then
that we *can* make mistakes. In particular, we are free to make choices,
some of which we would consider mistakes.

If I do not have free will then I cannot ``make a mistake'' -- every thing
that I do is outside of the realm of personal choice and therefore is
inevitable. It may be inevitable that certain people speculate on
whether or not they have free will, of course, but the hard part is
explaining the great bulk of evidence that seems to indicate that it is
a good thing to learn since we can avoid making mistakes that way.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/28/85)

	Why are you trying so bloody hard to forcefit your notions of "without free
	will I wouldn't do any of these things".  If your chemical makeup was such
	that you enjoyed and took pride in your work, you most certainly would.

This is, of course, the question. The answer is, though, because I would have
no reason to enjoy or take pride in my work any more. I could not help but
do the things that I did. I don't take pride in *other people's* work, and
I don't take pride in the actions of other people. If my behaviour is
entirely determined, then I would view my own actions as I viewed the
actions of other people -- and indeed, my way of viewing other people
would change.

Do you write lousy code? Today, I would criticise you for it. But, of
course, if you couldn't help but write lousy code, then there is no
reason for me to upbraid you for it, since you didn't choose to write
lousy code. Are you an Identity Christian? Well, these days I will
flame you into the ground. But, of course, if you were not free to
not become an Identity Christian, it seems foolish of me to criticise you
as if it were your fault, or your responsibility. Do I say I love you?
Oh well, today I believe that it is because you and I share similar
values and I admire you for having them. Of course, if you are in no
way responsible for the values that you have, then it is foolish of me
to admire you as if you had anythng to do with it. You just happened to
be that way, but I could as easily love someone who shares none of my
values, for they just happened *that* way as well. Gee, love seems
kind of pointless. Gee -- *EVERYTHING* seems kind of pointless. I think
I will pack it in now, now that I understand that there is no such thing as
personal responsibility, I don't think that there is anything worthwhile
any more.

How can you say that life is ``as full as I make it''? What you have been
telling me is that *I* *can't* *make* *it*! If I could, if I could really
chose to make life more or less full, then I would have free will. But, if
I can't, then no life is full -- some only appear more full by a standard
that assumes that there is such a thing as personal responsibility. Without
personal responsibility, all talk of a ``meaningful life'' is so much crap.

Everybody gets what they were destined to get in life. Some people are
destined to be called ``meaningful'' and others aren't. But who cares? It
wasn't by their actions that they determined what they were destined to get --
what they were destined to get was determined even before they were born
out of the equally destined lives of their ancestors.

	Why are you asking me to prove something I don't believe?  To what end?

What is meaningful about knowledge if one cannot influence one's own actions?

	Knowledge is as meaningful as its usefulness, as useful as its application.

Why should I care?

	Even without application, pure knowledge can have beauty.

Again, why should I care? If the future, like the past, is fixed then
why should the application of anything interest me?

	>> If I program a machine to ask the question, does it have free
	>> will?

	> Now, here is an instance where we must be careful of what we mean.
	> what do you mean by ``ask''? If you mean ``print out the question
	> on a terminal'' then I would say ``no''. On the other hand, if you
	> programmed a machine and then it spontaneously came up with the
	> question ``does man have free will'' then I would have to answer that
	> I do not know -- but I would be inclined to suspect that it does.

	What makes you think that human beings don't ask questions by simply
	going through a series of internal processes and then "printing out the
	question" or "asking it orally"?  Straw man.  What makes you think that
	humans "spontaneously" ask questions rather than going through such
	such processes as I describe above to do so?

Rich, I have never said that human beings *don't* do that. I do not think that
this notion of doing things is incompatible with the notion of free will. I
do not know whether a machine can or can not have free will. When I used the
term ``spontaneously'' I meant to distinguish it from the case where I
(using the bourne shell) type:

PS1="Does man have free will?"
export PS1

There. My terminal will print out ``Does man have free will'' a lot, but
I don't think that the 11/44 in the department of Zoology has it. On the
other hand, if you wrote an AI program that produced a machine that
passed the Turing test, and, if one day you walked by it and it typed
out at you ``Does man have free will'' then I would have to wonder about it.

	> All I am assuming is that either men have free will or they don't,
	> and that the expression ``men have free will'' is meaningful.

	It is just an utterance of sounds.  It is only as meaningful as its
	veracity.  If it is false, then it is false.

No. No. No. No. No. Veracity has nothing to do with meaningfulness.
``My father has blue eyes.'' This is a wonderfully meaningful statement.
It is also completely false, since my father has brown eyes. In addition,
I would contest that it is just an utterance of sounds. It must be more. I
never spoke it out loud, and there is no reason to assume that you did
either. You interpreted the string of letters in a certain way -- you
saw that it represented certain concepts that you already had. I am not
asking you to evaluate a string of letters, but rather the concept that
that string represents.

	The point was that your statement claiming that because I am seeking
	knowledge I am using free will was totally erroneous, plugging in random
	words to suit the conclusion you want to reach.  My asking questions to gain
	knowledge does not imply use of free will, but somehow you claim to reach
	that conclusion above.  I am politely trying to say "What the hell are
	you talking about?"  It is YOU who are playing Humpty Dumpty here.  Any
	question I ask (about free will or about snerdfelb) have equal POTENTIAL
	meaning.  Only the reality of the answer shows how meaningful the information
	obtained really was.  Remember, though, that even asking a "stupid" question
	can result in useful information.

You misconstrue what I am doing.
I will try again.

1.	``Does man have free will?'' is a question.
2.	To ask a question is to seek an answer.
	2b. [This implies that the questioner thinks that the question is
	     meaningful. If I ask you ``what is snerdfelb'' then I am
	     assuming that this is a meaningful question even though I
	     don't know what snerdfelb is -- I expect that you do. This
	     may be foolish, in that snerdfelb may be meaningless, but,
	     in asking a question I am assuming that it is meaningful.]
3.	To seek an answer is to seek the truth.
	3b   [NOTE that this does not say that TO SEEK AN ANSWER is to
	      seek that the ANSWER BE IN THE AFFIRMATIVE. If I seek the
	      answer the question ``Does my father have blue eyes'' then
	      I am seeking the answer ``no'' which is the truth.]
4.	Big Question Time
	WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF SEEKING THE TRUTH?

Perhaps there is no significance to it at all, but the standard answer
is that one can avoid making mistakes by knowing the truth. One learns
what is true to avoid making mistakes.

Therefore:	[Big Conclusions Time]

If ``truth seeking'' is significant, and it is significant because it
enables one to avoid making mistakes, then it follows that it is
possible to avoid making mistakes. But this assumes that choices are
possible, that is that the future is not fixed as is the past, but
rather that there are possible futures -- one in which a mistake is
made and one in which it is not. It also follows that through one's
own thought one can influence which of the possible futures is the one
that becomes the present and eventually the past. This is all I want
from free will.

Therefore:	[Little Conclusion Time]

In asking the question ``does man have free will'' one is implicitly
assuming that the answer to this question is yes.

Do you get it *now*? If you don't, it is not because I am twisting
words. I am trying to be as excruciatingly clear as I can. I don't
know where it is that you are misunderstanding this, but maybe you
could tell me -- go slow, because I find it very difficult to follow
how you get from certain premises of yours to other conclusions.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

esk@wucs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (03/29/85)

In article <137@ubvax.UUCP> tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) writes:
>Another funny assumption of this free will debate is that free will
>is a possession, some kind of {meta}physical capacity in us.  That can't
>be!  Free will is a *relation* between a person and her world (world: some
>bounded space-time continuum of possibility).  The question "does man
>have free will" should be answered, "depends on who and where -- which
>man[persons] and what world[worlds]".
>Tony Wuersch

Which person, yes, but which world, I'm not so sure.  Couldn't the same
constitution of me (my body), subject to the same physical laws, exist
in a "world" in which many other things were different?  It seems to me
that in any such world, "I" would have exactly the same amount of free
will as I do in the actual world.  Thus I think free will is indeed
a function of which person you talk about, but not which world.  There
is of course the related notion of "freedom" as political-economic-etc.
freedom, and what the world around me is like certainly matters for
*that* kind of freedom.  But that's not the same as "free will", i.e.
agency (being an agent).
--
"When there's something wrong
with the vogue ideas

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (04/01/85)

> In article <137@ubvax.UUCP> tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) writes:
> >Another funny assumption of this free will debate is that free will
> >is a possession, some kind of {meta}physical capacity in us.  That can't
> >be!  Free will is a *relation* between a person and her world (world: some
> >bounded space-time continuum of possibility).  The question "does man
> >have free will" should be answered, "depends on who and where -- which
> >man[persons] and what world[worlds]".
> >Tony Wuersch
>
> Which person, yes, but which world, I'm not so sure.  Couldn't the same
> constitution of me (my body), subject to the same physical laws, exist
> in a "world" in which many other things were different?  It seems to me
> that in any such world, "I" would have exactly the same amount of free
> will as I do in the actual world.
>
> 	"ICONBUSTERS!"			--President, ICONBUSTERS,
> 					Paul V. Torek, wucs!wucec1!pvt1047

If I'm tied up in a chair and gagged in some other world, my constitution
might be the same but I would lack free will.  "Agency" implies a agent
whom a world reacts to.  It implies some means of control over the world;
as Nozick said, "Just because determinism is true doesn't mean thermostats
don't control temperature."  If an agent is bound from reacting to the
world in a manner meaningful and significant to the agent, then that agent
lacks free will.  Free will thus depends on the structure of the world.

I'm not proposing mine as THE definition of free will; I don't think
philosophy works that way.  I am proposing it as a reasonable definition,
one which helps us develop a sense of free will which we can use in our daily
life to make our lives better and happier.  ("Sense" as in 'sense and
reference', please)

As an Aristotelian naturalist, creating useful distinctions such as a pragmatic
definition of free will is what I take to be the business of good philosophy.

egs@epsilon.UUCP (Ed Sheppard) (04/08/85)

> If I'm tied up in a chair and gagged in some other world, my constitution
> might be the same but I would lack free will.  "Agency" implies a agent
> whom a world reacts to.  It implies some means of control over the world;
> as Nozick said, "Just because determinism is true doesn't mean thermostats
> don't control temperature."  If an agent is bound from reacting to the
> world in a manner meaningful and significant to the agent, then that agent
> lacks free will.  Free will thus depends on the structure of the world.

Tony:

I think you've run two concepts together, namely will and capacity. Being
bound does not necessarily imply a lack of will, simply a lack of the
ability to carry out that will.

There is a third component also: desire.

						Ed Sheppard
						Bellcore

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (04/09/85)

> People have sent me a lot of mail about this. There seems to be a
> universal misunderstanding of what I said. Most people who have sent me
> mail have sent me mail which interprets my argument as follows:
>
>	 people ask ``do I have free will''?
>	 in asking such a question, one presumes that the answer is yes.
>	 therefore, by force of will, the answer is yes.
>	 this argument stinks.
>
> Well, yes, I agree that this is a lousy argument, but this is not the one
> I was making. I will try to be clearer.
> When I ask ``d o I have free will''? I am implicitly asserting that there
> is something worthwhile about asking questions. After all, I am bothering
> to do this rather than doing something else. The reason that it is good
> to ask questions is that it is a way of acquiring true knowledge. But
> why should true knowledge be of any use to me? Because, the more true
> knowledge I have, the fewer mistakes I should make. Aha. if knowledge
> is important because it enables us to make fewer mistakes, it follows then
> that we *can* make mistakes. In particular, we are free to make choices,
> some of which we would consider mistakes.

How you got from "we *can* make mistakes" to implying "we are free to make
choices, some of which we consdider mistakes" is not at all clear.  We *can*
make mistakes.  Additional knowledge may prevent us from making mistakes by
amending our knowledge base from which our decision-making process makes its
decisions.  But this does not imply anything about the process of choice
being "free".  The knowledge base, the current chemical state of the brain,
results in a "resulting" decision.  The desire to (or not to) increase
one's knowledge base (by asking questions) would also be determined by a
current chemical state.  The willingness to believe and incorporate the
acquired knowledge is determined similarly, as are any preonceptions and
patterns which you might associate the new knowledge with.  Where is the
"free will", the choice, in this?

> If I do not have free will then I cannot ``make a mistake'' -- every thing
> that I do is outside of the realm of personal choice and therefore is
> inevitable. It may be inevitable that certain people speculate on
> whether or not they have free will, of course, but the hard part is
> explaining the great bulk of evidence that seems to indicate that it is
> a good thing to learn since we can avoid making mistakes that way.

All you've shown is that the word "mistake" may be a poor word.  Remember
that it is JUST a word, which is a human label placed on a thing or idea.
If by mistake you mean "an error in judgment resulting in negative
consequences", what caused that error in judgment, if not the current state
of your knowledge base?  Any judgment you make will be the result of a
chemical process based on that state, and thus so will any action you take.
If you're trying to say that because we use the word "mistake", we are
implying "a bad choice that we made", and thus we must have free will,
then I hope I've shown that that's erroneous.  If that's not what you're
saying, I don't understand what you mean.
--
Meet the new wave, same as the old wave...
      				Rich Rosen     ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (04/09/85)

> I think that Tony Wuersch is talking about *freedom*, not *free will*.
> If you point a gun to my head you have considerably diminished my freedom,
> but I don't think that you have diminished my free will.
> When I ask ``do I have free will''? I am implicitly asserting that there
> is something worthwhile about asking questions. After all, I am bothering
> to do this rather than doing something else. The reason that it is good
> to ask questions is that it is a way of acquiring true knowledge. But
> why should true knowledge be of any use to me? Because, the more true
> knowledge I have, the fewer mistakes I should make.
> If I do not have free will then I cannot ``make a mistake'' -- every thing
> that I do is outside of the realm of personal choice and therefore is
> inevitable.
>
> Laura Creighton
> utzoo!laura

Laura's definition of 'free will' seems to be a lagged form of mine.  I
think free will is the ability at a given moment to exert control over
one's world.  Laura thinks free will is the ability at a given moment
to learn in order that at a later moment one can exert control over
one's world (that is, 'not make mistakes').

I would infer from this that if at a later time I am restrained from making
a mistake (say by imprisonment or some similar tragedy), then at the earlier
time when I was "learning", I then didn't have free will.  So at any moment
I can never know if I have free will because I can't know if in the future
I can use what I've learned.

As far as freedom goes, I define freedom in a more-or-less Confucian or
Aristotelian way:  freedom is the ability to carry out one's duties,
responsibilities and obligations to oneself and others without the
interference of petty tyrants.  I see free will as necessary to bring
about freedom, and to defend against tyrants (personal and political).
But I don't see free will as the essence of freedom.  The essence of
freedom is a moral order to which one can aspire.

Tony Wuersch
{amd,amdcad}!cae780!ubvax!tonyw

wakeup ... getup ... wakeup ...
When I woke up this morning and got out of bed
I had some really fresh thoughts going through my head
They were the thoughts that came from a wonderful dream
It was a vision of the world working as a team
It was a dream ... wakeup ... Just a .. wakeup ... getup
				from "Wakeup" -- by Run-DMC

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (04/09/85)

> Tony:
>
> I think you've run two concepts together, namely will and capacity. Being
> bound does not necessarily imply a lack of will, simply a lack of the
> ability to carry out that will.
>
> There is a third component also: desire.
>
> 						Ed Sheppard
> 						Bellcore

I'm glad Ed brings up desire.  I agree there is a distinction between will
and desire, but I wouldn't bring capacity into it.  Desire is what one
wants to achieve via will (the world and one's instruments of control
coming together), while will is what one can achieve at a given moment.

Desire is the goal to which will applies itself.

Perhaps Ed has a view of will as a passive learner (by passive I mean via
a mode of sitting, watching, and thinking -- maybe active thinking) like
Laura Creighton has.

What separates desire from will in your perspective?

Tony Wuersch
{amd,amdcad}!cae780!ubvax!tonyw

There was no guns, there were no tanks, there weren't atomic bombs
And to be frank -- oh boy -- there were no arms
Just people, working, hand in hand
There was a feeling of peace all across the land
It was a dream ... wakeup ... Just a ... getup
wakeup ... wakeup
				from "Wakeup" -- by Run-DMC

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (04/13/85)

> The knowledge base, the current chemical state of the brain,
> results in a "resulting" decision.  The desire to (or not to) increase
> one's knowledge base (by asking questions) would also be determined by a
> current chemical state.  The willingness to believe and incorporate the
> acquired knowledge is determined similarly, as are any preonceptions and
> patterns which you might associate the new knowledge with.  Where is the
> "free will", the choice, in this?

Prove it.  Do you really know how the brain works?  Please publish this
information, so the rest of us can have the benefit of your supreme
knowledge.

> Any judgment you make will be the result of a
> chemical process based on that state, and thus so will any action you take.
> If you're trying to say that because we use the word "mistake", we are
> implying "a bad choice that we made", and thus we must have free will,
> then I hope I've shown that that's erroneous.  If that's not what you're
> saying, I don't understand what you mean.

Come on, Rich.  You just don't know.  Neither does Laura.  It's fine to
argue that "this may be the case," but unless you have proof of some kind,
you can't say "Any judgment you make WILL be the result of a chemical
process...."  From what I can tell, there is certainly room for uncertainty
in the brain (it's not as simple as a computer! :-)) and if there *were*
something in this universe akin to a soul, that nobody understands, then
it could well control that uncertainty.

	marie desjardins
	marie@harvard

geoff@boulder.UUCP (Geoffrey M. Clemm) (04/14/85)

In article <h-sc1.266> desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) writes:

>> The knowledge base, the current chemical state of the brain,
>> results in a "resulting" decisions... [ROSEN]
>
>Prove it.  Do you really know how the brain works?

I read Rich's statement as having no intention of "proving" something one
way or the other.  He was responding to a question about how a specific kind
of event could be analyzed without the existence of "free will".  His
response was a very clear (and as far as I could tell, consistent) analysis
that did not involve "free will".

>Please publish this information, so the rest of us can have the benefit
>of your supreme knowledge.

I am sure that Rich will respond to this particular comment in his own
inimitable way ...

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (04/15/85)

No, Tony Wuersch and I have the same definition of freedom. What I
was trying to do is present indirect evidence (that we learn) for
the existence of free will. If being in jail, Tony, is not evidence for
petty tyrants, then what is?

The distinction I want to make is between freedom - something which
is more or less continuous and very dependent in an immediate way on
external agents (am I locked up, are you pointing a gun at my head,
am I shipwrecked and starving) and free will -- am a free to make
decisions at all? To have free will -- the ability -- does not imply
that at no time in the future will my freedom be diminished or
increased. Its converse is not ``less free will'' but fatalism.
Around here we have been discussing the particular variety of
fatalism which is often called ``materialistic determinism''. Do
my present brain states cause my future brain states? Were they
in turn caused by my past brain states? And, were you to duplicate
both external conditions and my internal brain states at time t1,
would my brain states at time t2 be necessarily identical as at
t2-t1 units of time after the original ``snapshot''?

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (04/18/85)

> In article <h-sc1.266> desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) writes:
>
> >> The knowledge base, the current chemical state of the brain,
> >> results in a "resulting" decisions... [ROSEN]
> >
> >Prove it.  Do you really know how the brain works?
>
> I read Rich's statement as having no intention of "proving" something one
> way or the other.  He was responding to a question about how a specific kind
> of event could be analyzed without the existence of "free will".  His
> response was a very clear (and as far as I could tell, consistent) analysis
> that did not involve "free will".  [GEOFFREY CLEMM]

And, moreover, the conclusion was reached WITHOUT forcing in additional
assumptions about the universe, the nature of which, as I've already
mentioned, revolves around the way someone would LIKE the world to be, also
known as...  This is why I feel the above view is more rational, more
consistent, and certainly less presumptive.

> >Please publish this information, so the rest of us can have the benefit
> >of your supreme knowledge.
>
> I am sure that Rich will respond to this particular comment in his own
> inimitable way ...

This is as inimitable as it gets.  Sorry if it doesn't meet some
expectations...
--
"When you believe in things that you don't understand, you'll suffer.
 Superstition ain't the way."		- Stevie Wonder ("Superstition")

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (04/19/85)

>>The knowledge base, the current chemical state of the brain,
>>results in a "resulting" decision.  The desire to (or not to) increase
>>one's knowledge base (by asking questions) would also be determined by a
>>current chemical state.  The willingness to believe and incorporate the
>>acquired knowledge is determined similarly, as are any preonceptions and
>>patterns which you might associate the new knowledge with.  Where is the
>>"free will", the choice, in this?  [ROSEN]

> Prove it.  Do you really know how the brain works?  Please publish this
> information, so the rest of us can have the benefit of your supreme
> knowledge.  [DESJARDINS]

The point is that my model makes use of fewer preconceptions and assumptions
than any you might be proposing.  To believe otherwise is to insert your
own chosen assumptions (borne of wishful thinking as to how you might LIKE
the world to be) into a model UNNECESSARILY.

>>Any judgment you make will be the result of a
>>chemical process based on that state, and thus so will any action you take.
>>If you're trying to say that because we use the word "mistake", we are
>>implying "a bad choice that we made", and thus we must have free will,
>>then I hope I've shown that that's erroneous.  If that's not what you're
>>saying, I don't understand what you mean.

> Come on, Rich.  You just don't know.  Neither does Laura.  It's fine to
> argue that "this may be the case," but unless you have proof of some kind,
> you can't say "Any judgment you make WILL be the result of a chemical
> process...."  From what I can tell, there is certainly room for uncertainty
> in the brain (it's not as simple as a computer! :-)) and if there *were*
> something in this universe akin to a soul, that nobody understands, then
> it could well control that uncertainty.

The point is that my model makes use of fewer preconceptions and assumptions
than any you might be proposing.  To believe otherwise is to insert your
own chosen assumptions (borne of wishful thinking as to how you might LIKE
the world to be) into a model UNNECESSARILY.

(Sometimes you have to say the same time more than once before it's
 acknowledged.)
--

egs@epsilon.UUCP (Ed Sheppard) (04/19/85)

> I'm glad Ed brings up desire.  I agree there is a distinction between will
> and desire, but I wouldn't bring capacity into it.  Desire is what one
> wants to achieve via will (the world and one's instruments of control
> coming together), while will is what one can achieve at a given moment.
>
> Desire is the goal to which will applies itself.

I think I'm going to go with Paul and Laura on this issue. Will is the
rational evaluation of alternatives. Desires are the choice criteria or
goal if you prefer. But one must have capacity to effect one's will or
will becomes an (even indirectly) unobservable phenomenon and it
wouldn't be very useful to talk about it. And I dare say, will would
not have developed at all without capacity, so I guess I feel compelled
(:-) to bring it into the discussion.

BTW, I don't think the concept of "free" will is nearly as useful as a
concept of "freer" will. One's will becomes freer as the number of
alternatives one can consider increases (i.e. the more one learns) and
perhaps the more subtle one's choice criteria become.

					Ed Sheppard
					Bellcore