[net.philosophy] Quantum mechanics and free will

geoff@boulder.UUCP (Geoffrey M. Clemm) (04/18/85)

In article <spar.181> ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:

>1.  Quantum randomness -- not just loss of accuracy in measurement,
>    but a total loss of definite meaning to such expressions as `the state
>    of a particle at a moment in time'

A great deal of effort in quantum physics is directed specifically at giving
a correct meaning to `the state of a particle at a moment in time'.  The fact
that we cannot know the state of a particle to an infinite amount of precision
in no way generates "a total loss of definite meaning".  If someone is pulling
the trigger of a loaded gun pointing at your head, I doubt very much that
you would receive much comfort from the thought that there is a "total loss of
definite meaning to such expressions as `the state of a particle (in this case
a bullet) at a moment in time'".

>*   Single quantum events can and do cause macroscopic effects. The
>    breakdown of causality is not confinined to the microscopic.

This misconception is at the heart of many quantum mechanical fallacies.
Very little of the quantum mechanical "randomness" is visible in our normal
experiences.  Although we cannot be too certain about the exact location
of a (low-energy) subatomic particle, the amount of error in our measurement
of a macroscopic entity (such as a bullet) is so small as to be irrelevant.
Applying quantum-mechanical analogies to macroscopic entities is as serious
an error as applying macroscopic analogies to subatomic entities.

>2.  The predominance of irreversible, nonlinear processes in our universe,
>    having the property that an infinitesimal variation at time t0 can
>    give rise to a large variation at time t0 + x.

There is no such "predominance".  The majority of the processes in our
universe (as we experience them) are statistically determined, which means
that the effect of an infinitesimal variation is effectively damped by
the states of surrounding particles.

>* > The flapping of a single butterfly's wings may eventually result in
>  > the change in global weather patterns everywhere.

This quote is amusing, but I didn't think anyone would take it seriously.
In theory, all the molecules in my body could possibly vibrate in the same
direction at the same time, slamming me against a nearby wall ... but I
don't worry too much about it.

>    To those who find randamness unsatisfying in support of free
>    will, I ask: `how else would free will manifest itself to a
>    mechanistic viewpoint other than as random behavior?'

That is exactly the question, and "randomness" does not answer it.
Why should I be morally responsible for something I did out of a
combination of pre-determined causes and randomness.  If I grab
someones hand and force them to roll some dice, I wouldn't consider
it their "fault" because the number 5 was rolled.

Geoffrey Clemm

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (04/21/85)

In article <347@boulder.UUCP> geoff@boulder.UUCP (Geoffrey Clemm) writes:
>In article <spar.181> ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:
>
>>*   Single quantum events can and do cause macroscopic effects. The
>>    breakdown of causality is not confinined to the microscopic.
>
>This misconception is at the heart of many quantum mechanical fallacies.
>Very little of the quantum mechanical "randomness" is visible in our normal
>experiences.  ...

This may or may not be true.  The complexity of the brain is such that in
many respects a great deal of the processes are "idling" so to speak.  At
other times (maybe all the time?) our consciousness awareness(i.e. what we
are thinking or cognitive about at any give moment) seems to be a delicate
balance between a vast number of competing impulses.  It just may be possible
that there are quantum influences whic actually determine tjust what implulses
get to make up our final "awareness" from momemnt to moment.

The idea of brain as random event generator has been suggested as one method
for paranormal images to make their "impingements" into our everyday
consciousness.

If the speculation that quantum events can impact thought processes is
accurate, then the very fact that you picked up your morning paper before
sipping your coffee instead of after and therefore read more than you would
have otherwise thus noticing your neighbor was in a minor accident which
allowed you to contact them earlier could all be directly attributable to
"quantum interference."  There have been studies done which indicate just
these effects.

Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Dave Trissel
Austin, Texas              {ihnp4,seismo,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet