[net.philosophy] And now, Psychology and sociology, argument enhancement.

williams@kirk.DEC (John Williams 223-3402) (05/09/85)

                 Society's Subliminal Subversion

                    William Abernathy writes:

>      'It' calls, against our expectations and even against  our
> will.

>      If the interpretation continues  in  this  direction,  one
> supplies  a  possessor  of the power thus posited, or one takes
> the power itself as a person who makes himself known  -  namely
> God.

     This is the "callee's" unconscious at work.  This person has
been  unknowingly  commanded by society to perform this function.
The manifestation of " GOD " is purely active imagination, and is
a  typical symbol representing higher authority.  More often than
not, the individual has a  history  of  repressed  communication,
sometimes  as  extreme  as  isolationism,  where stimuli has been
avoided and ignored.  This, in actuality, makes the person a more
suitable  carrier for society's messages, because the unconscious
will obey what it does not recognize.  When this person begins to
listen  to  his  unconscious,  funny things begin to develop, and
often, dream like symbology is interpreted literally.   The  main
thing  is  that you cannot consciously decide about something you
cannot, for one reason or another, consciously perceive.  Bizarre
announcements  usually follow, and that person commits himself to
a religious cause.

     It is evident that this, and in fact, most  people,  do  not
think purely for themselves.  This power you describe is probably
the realization of unknown stimuli, and the release of repression
from   communication   with  the  unconscious,  in  other  words,
enlightenment, that gives  this  person  a  heightened  sense  of
awareness.   This  makes  this person better able to subliminally
subvert the bulk of the unenlightened  masses.   The  unconscious
will  chug away until a particularly strong symbol penetrates the
repressive barrier, and for many, this symbol is god like.

     In some cases, this  enlightenment  is  completely  off  the
mark,  such as the son of sam killer hallucinating a conversation
with his dog.   Most  cases,  however,  resolve  themselves  into
religious  fanaticism,  at  least  temporarily,  until  the  next
meeting with the unknown, the unconscious.

                     Brad Templeton writes:

>      Sure, they are interesting.  But don't  change  your  life
> around the notion of UFOs

     But you already have.  It appears unlikely  that  they  will
intervene  in  any  significant way, at least for the time being,
but that is a completely different  statement  than  saying  that
they  are  incapable  of  intervention.   Perhaps they are simply
waiting for the right time.

                                        John Williams

                  < Unacknowledged Acceptance >