[net.philosophy] Seperation of Religion

williams@kirk.DEC (John Williams 223-3402) (05/10/85)

                   Tracy A. McInvale writes:

>      I am very interested in the Hindu religion and would  like
> to  learn  more  about  it.   In  particular,  I have questions
> concerning the concept of reincarnation.

     Hindu religion is based on the concept that the universe  is
one  huge  pulsating  brain.   They  believe  in something called
conservation of spirit,  hence,  reincarnation.   They  speak  of
something  called  " Godhead ", which is the awareness we are all
supposedly part of.  They refute any basis for the universe being
continuous,  and  instead  of  acknowledging  that there are some
truths that are inaccessible, they prefer to fill in  the  blanks
with  mumbo-jumbo.   If there is a superior being, it most likely
isn't the one they describe.

                      Bill Gates writes:

>      Being a Christian, I thought I'd contribute  my  point  of
> view on this.

>     Man is ultimately responsible for his own fate.
>     vs.
>     God is ultimately responsible for everything's fate, including man's.

     Man is influenced by his environment.  ( 3rd  Choice  )  The
partition  is not so clear cut.  The answer is not so simple.  If
you wish to label the environment " God ", then do so,  but  that
conflicts  with  what  you  have  said.   Proclamations of divine
intervention do not make for very good arguments.  This  type  of
phenomenon is improbable, to say the least.

>     Man evolved from other, lower life forms.
>     vs.
>     God created man, just as he created all other life forms.

     Of all the possible moments that the universe was "  created
", why do you insist that it was sometime *after* man evolved out
of the environment?  Someone wrote it in  a  book?   After  vivid
hallucinations?  Give me a break.

>      How can there help but be  bitter  conflicts?   Scientific
> theories  such  as  these  (remember,  they're just hypotheses)
> directly oppose what we as Christians read to be  true  in  the
> Word of God - the Bible.

     No, you oppose what is observable.   Words  have  little  or
nothing  to do with truth.  Words and language originally evolved
as a form of deception.  What I am trying to tell you is  that  "
GOD  "  never  wrote  that  book, it was written by fanatics like
yourself.

>      One last point.  This notestring has been  discussing  how
> all  laws  and  other  absolute truths are but good hypotheses.
> Thus, nothing is absolute - it just  hasn't  been  contradicted
> yet.   Well,  in a Christian's life, there ARE absolute truths.
> Since basic beliefs state that the Bible is the  Word  of  God,
> what's  written  there  must  be  absolutely  true, having been
> written by the only One who knows it all!  Thus, if  we  really
> believe,  we  have to stick by what's written in the Bible over
> what Science has decided to be true, because man is the  origin
> of one, and God is the origin of the other.

     Absolutely *WRONG*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You can't just fill in the
blanks  like  that,  and sit there stating that we can't disprove
you.  There is considerable evidence that the  universe  is  very
similar  to  what scientists agree on, and scientists very rarely
agree.  I REPEAT, THE BIBLE WAS WRITTEN BY MAN, NOT GOD!
                  Just another point of view.

     And the atom bomb is just another toy.   How  can  you  ever
expect me to agree with you when all you have at your disposal is
an outdated textbook.   ONE,  SINGULAR,  REFERENCE?   I  find  it
amazing how you can weave a closed reality out of one book.

>      Why would you want to be buried in a garden, anyhow?   You
> won't  be around to know or care!  It seems just as silly to me
> to want to be buried in a garden as it is to seal  a  body  and
> all that!

     Well, if I have no further need of this body,  I  figure  it
should go where it does everything the most good.  I really don't
see why we should destroy organic potential.

     I have dealt with religious fanatics many  times.   I  don't
think   you   want   this   discussion   to  continue.   Here  in
net.philosophy, that is where  you  are,  we  don't  reinforce  a
random  possibility, we bring up possibilities and try to measure
their validity.  With  you,  and  most  religions,  there  is  no
measurement,  only  blind  acceptance.   And  it's  not *just* an
opinion, it's also a method and a rational for converting  others
to be just as possibly mistaken as you are.

     If you are here to introduce us to christianity, believe me,
most  of us have seen it many times before.  What I doubt is that
you have ever consciously seen any of *this*  before.   You  see,
the  "  bitter  "  conflict  is  a result of isolation, a lack of
communication, and I grow tired of listening to you.  Perhaps you
should  try listening to us for a while.  Next time you're out in
the park with a $@#*&^%@ microphone, look for me.  I have a  list
of corrections I would like to add.

                                        John Williams

             < The Universe wasn't born Yesterday >

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (05/12/85)

I agree that Christianity is nonsense, but why all the flaming?
I didn't get the impression that the person who wrote that article was
trying to convert anyone.

					Mike Sykora