[net.philosophy] Libertarians in Space

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (06/11/85)

In article <454@qantel.UUCP>, gabor@qantel.UUCP (Gabor Fencsik@ex2642) writes:
> There are plenty of human impulses besides self-
> interest; I am sure you can detect some of them in yourself and those around
> you.

I want to echo this.  Just recently I began reading a fine book by Bernard
Williams, an analytic philosopher, on "Ethics and the Limits of Philosophy".
He has a very cogent passage on rationality:

"There is one motive for reductivism that does not operate simply on the
ethical, or on the nonethical, but tends to reduce every consideration to
one basic kind.  This rests on an assumption about rationality, to the
effect that two considerations cannot be rationally weighed against each
other unless there is a common consideration in terms of which they can be
compared.  This assumption is at once very powerful and utterly baseless.
Quite apart from the ethical, aesthetic considerations can be weighed
against economic ones (for instance) without being an application of them,
and without their both being an example of a third kind of consideration.
Politicians know that political considerations are not all made out of the
same material as considerations against which they are weighed;  even
different political considerations can be made out of different material.
If one compares one job, holiday, or companion with another, judgment does
not need a particular set of weights.

This is not merely a matter of intellectual error.  If it were that, it
could not survive the fact that people's experience contradicts it, that
they regularly arrive at conclusions they regard as rational, or at least
as reasonable, without using one currency of comparison.  The drive toward
a *RATIONALISTIC CONCEPTION OF RATIONALITY* comes instead from social
features of the modern world, which impose on personal deliberation and on
the idea of practical reason itself a model drawn from a particular
understanding of public rationality.  This understanding requires in
principle every decision to be based on grounds that can be discursively
explained.  The requirement is not in fact met, and it probably does little
for the aim that authority should be genuinely answerable.  But it is an
influential ideal and, by a reversal of the order of causes, it can look as
if it were the result of applying to the public world an independent ideal
of rationality." (p. 17-18)

Later on Williams goes after this "independent ideal" and beats it down,
but I won't go into that here ...

I would claim that any political or social philosophy that sticks to a
rigidly reductivist definition of rational behavior will not adapt to (that
is, won't see or will deny) modes of rationality that don't fit the
reductionist model.  Were it to take power, it might try to suppress other
rational methods or strip them of power.

I would further suggest that the requirement that every decision should be
based on grounds which can be discursively explained is a rule of
bureaucratic rationality.  I think Williams suggests this later on in his
book.

A big mistake often made by political and old organizational theorists is to
make judgments that a state or an organization must be built to guarantee
bureaucratic rationality in all of its relations with citizens or clients,
just to fit the theorist's ideal criteria.  (the reversal of causes fallacy)

I also suggest that libertarianism is a stellar example of a political
philosophy that fulfills both the above anti-goals:  it justifies itself via
a reductivist definition of rational and ethical behavior, and it defends
its ideal state in practical matters via bureaucratic rational arguments.
Its solutions are "simple" and hence good because they embody bureaucratic
ideals.

Tony Wuersch
{amd,amdcad}!cae780!ubvax!tonyw