[net.philosophy] Former greats

nelson@cvl.UUCP (Randal Nelson) (06/13/85)

Does anyone know whatever happened to Bobby Fischer
(the John Mc-Enroe of chess) after he lost the title by default?
Is he a writer for a respected chess periodical?
Is he loading docks somewhere?

Just nosy
                                   Randal Nelson
                                   (nelson@cvl)

zben@umd5.UUCP (06/19/85)

In article <543@cvl.UUCP> nelson@cvl.UUCP (Randal Nelson) writes:

>Does anyone know whatever happened to Bobby Fischer
>(the John Mc-Enroe of chess) after he lost the title by default?
>Is he a writer for a respected chess periodical?
>Is he loading docks somewhere?

Last I heard he had gotten mixed up with a fundamentalist Christian commune
and was doing farm work, poor guy.  Seems like as good a way to recover from
burnout as any...  Anybody else heard anything?

By the way, the regulars in all those newsgroups mentioned above will probably
not like this.  Is there any easy way to restrict the discussion to net.chess
only?  Would it have worked if I had edited the header while building this