[net.philosophy] Puritan Morality

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/20/85)

In article <52700001@hpcnof.UUCP> dat@hpcnof.UUCP (dat) writes:
>	To move into a slightly different topic, continuing the above
>bit, does anyone else see a prevalence of the Puritan attitude
>in this country?  I can point to any number of public attitudes towards
>things that seem to spring from the original religious and moral beliefs
>of the founding fathers.  Even with the 'Melting Pot' amalgamation of
>people that created the United States there still seems to be a continuing
>thread.  Comments?

Your article brings to mind a recent case:

MIT student 'A' harrassed MIT student 'B' who is homosexual (and damn
proud of it). Student 'B' went to the deans' office and complained. As a
result, student 'A' was forced to leave the dormitory in which 'A' and
'B' had both lived. Student 'B' was not entirely happy and asked that
student 'A' be completely kicked out (in his last term at MIT!). Student
'C' pointed out that had MIT tried this, Student 'A' could have sued
them for a lot of money. The main reason? Homosexuality is ILLEAGAL in
Massachusetts and therefore student 'B' was standing on shaky ground,
legally. Of course, this absurdity never happened but it sounds like the
sort of thing that could.

More of MIT: Massachusetts just raised the drink age to 21 and now only
about 23% of MIT students are legal. Despite the fact that the MIT
Campus Police have sole jurisdiction on campus, MIT has been going out
of it's way to enforce the drinking age. Nobody really knows why. This
seems to be vogue among colleges now -- following the drinking ages. I
recently saw a copy of "The Engineers' Song" who's chorus goes:
           We are we are we are we are
           We are the engineers
  	   We can we can we can we can
	   Demolish forty beers

Not any more. "Tank '85" team speed drinking contest at MIT used
non-alcholic beer. Sad.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (07/23/85)

>More of MIT: Massachusetts just raised the drink age to 21 and now only
>about 23% of MIT students are legal. Despite the fact that the MIT
>Campus Police have sole jurisdiction on campus, MIT has been going out
>of it's way to enforce the drinking age. Nobody really knows why. This
>seems to be vogue among colleges now -- following the drinking ages.

Perhaps one reason is that injuries, deaths, and property damage have
been known to occur at on-campus parties, with alcohol apparently
being a contributing factor, and the colleges/universities do not
wish to be found liable.  Could any legal beagles tell us what the
law says about this?  In any case, deans do not relish phoning
parents at 1 a.m. to tell them their daughter is dead, as happened
here a year or two ago when a freshman who had been drinking at a
dorm party fell out of a fourth-story window (which was missing a
screen) and landed on her head.

> "Tank '85" team speed drinking contest at MIT used
> non-alcholic beer. Sad.

Not so sad, and it has nothing to do with Puritanism (were the
Puritans teetotalers, anyway?).  One possible reason colleges are
banning alcohol is that alcohol abuse is now a very widespread
problem among students, and the colleges don't want to foster the
problem in any way.  To those of you who object to the 21 drinking
age:  If you can't enjoy your college years and the company of your
friends without alcohol or other drugs, you are setting yourself up
for serious problems later on.  If you think it's tough being 20 and
dry, wait till you're 40 and alcoholic.

Richard Carnes