[net.philosophy] Definitions of free, esp. Rich Rosen's

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (07/27/85)

Subject: Re: More Rosenisms on freedom?

>> Examples of unfree behavior are:  being forcibly
>> dragged where you don't want to go, being locked behind bars and thus
>> confined, etc.

>I find that my body "forces" me to go where I "want" to go, to do what I
>"want" to do.  I have no choice, I can't stop it!!  Help!!  :-)

The smiley is absolutely right -- the idea of being "forced" to do what you
want, is a joke.

>> In all these examples the DIRECT cause of the behavior
>> is external to the man and his volition, THAT is what makes them unfree.
>> Conversely, when the direct causes are internal to "man's volition", the
>> behavior is free.

>Help!!  I can't escape my own "volition"!!  I want to want to do other things,
>but I just can't.  I want to want to like apricots.  But I can't.  Help! :-)

You can go against your urges, and you can change your habits and dispositions.

Subject: Re: Levels of Explanation and Definitions of Free

>> You're talking about a hypothetical AI project but, yes, it would be.
>
>Oh.  A machine programmed to pick the best possible decision is free?
>Come on!  What force-fitting!

You're the one who always complains about "anthropocentrism", yet when I
refuse to rule out the idea that machines may some day be equally free...?

>> But the Oxford English Dictionary and World Book Dictionary definitions were
>> compatible with my view, as was definition 1 of the American Heritage
>> Dictionary quoted by Poirier (sp?).
>
>Let's hear them.  Poirier's quoted definition was clearly NOT at all close
>to your asserted view, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

World Book:  FREEDOM, 1. The state or condition of being free: "In this
consists freedom ... in our being able to act or not to act, according as
we shall choose or will" (John Locke).  FREE WILL  will free from outside
restraints; voluntary choice; freedom of decision.

Comment:  The definitions don't mention r-e-a; that's an addition of mine
to rule out counterexamples like unconscious suggestion (showing pocorn
for a microsecond in a movie theater, etc.)  Rich will say that chemical
causes of behavior are outside "restraints".  But as I've already shown,
the definition of "constraint" (sorry, I didn't check "restraint") makes
nonsense out of the notion of being "constrained" to do what you WANT.

I gave you the Oxford English definitions long ago; if you want, go dig that
article up.

>> Your definition implies that people with no input from the external world
>> are more free (less unfree).  This shows that something is wrong with your
>> definition, because that's NOT the way people use the word "free".
>
>Not at all.  Those people are not constrained input-wise, but they are most
>certainly constrained by the possible actions open to them.  So clearly this
>is a straw man.

But since those people have *fewer* constraints, your definition implies
that they are *closer* to being free.  Which is nonsense -- a lack of any
way of knowing about reality is a guarantee of UNfreedom.

>> But he CAN want what he wants.  He can be satisfied or dissatisfied with
>> the way his motives work.  And that's what free will is all about: in
>> Trivers's words, "reviewing our behavior and modifying it in ways that
>> seem desirable".
>
>Funny, I still can't seem to want to like apricots.  Could you help me?

I thought you already did want to like apricots -- which makes sense, since
they are worth something as a food, and your choice among enjoyable foods
would then be broadened; etc.  I agree that it might be impossible to *like*
them, but liking is an *affection* not a *volition*.  Liking something is
not the same as wanting it.

>> The absurdity I was referring to was not the absurdity of
>> believing that what-you-call-free-will exists -- I grant you, that IS
>> absurd -- but the absurdity of your calling *that* free will.
>
>Sorry, that wasn't my doing.  That was the doing of philosophers and thinkers
>throughout past centuries.  To suddenly say "No, free will means THIS" is
>abhorrent to the notion of language as a common means of communication

Ah, but they were distorting the previous meaning of "free" to reflect their
religious views.  Now, either we have the right to change the meaning again;
or they didn't have it, in which case I have a right to complain about the
assumption of "freedom requires acausality" which they eventually got the
public to accept.  You can't have it both ways, Rich -- either tinkering
with a language is wrong, or it's not.
					--Paul V Torek