[net.philosophy] Only 8 lines!

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (08/09/85)

In article <3518@decwrl.UUCP> John Williams writes:
>1) Will implies a selection or a choice
>
>2) Free implies that the choice is arbitrary

Stop right there!  By what reasoning or evidence do you get 2)?

--Paul V Torek

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (08/11/85)

In article <1174@umcp-cs.UUCP> flink@maryland.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) writes:
>In article <3518@decwrl.UUCP> John Williams writes:
>>1) Will implies a selection or a choice
>>
>>2) Free implies that the choice is arbitrary
>
>Stop right there!  By what reasoning or evidence do you get 2)?
>
>--Paul V Torek

    OED - arbitrary: To be decided by one's liking; dependent on will or
          pleasure..

    Seems reasonable enough to me.

-michael

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (08/12/85)

>>>2) Free implies that the choice is arbitrary 	[John Williams]
>>
>>Stop right there!  By what reasoning or evidence do you get 2)? [P.T.]
>
>    OED - arbitrary: To be decided by one's liking; dependent on will or
>          pleasure..					[Michael Ellis]

That shows that (arbitrary -> up to one's will), but it doesn't show
that the reverse implication holds, unless there are no other necessary
conditions for arbitrariness.  But I think there is:  another necessary
condition for a choice to be arbitrary is that there is no clear superior
choice.

--Paul V Torek